Non-Adventurers and the Quicksand

I'm pretty sure there's no system of "vetting" any "adventurers" based on... yeah Avere and Edda's group.

I think using the Quicksand and any other tavern that takes place within the other AGs are just fine so long as Non-Adventurers aren't going to say "but I took on this contract and got paid some gil, etc."

Guild services -are- guild services. But the Quicksand or any other tavern is not the guild service.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sign-up was all something we did upon entering the city. I can't speak for the other cities, but it was the case too for Gridania in 1.0, after being chased by a rather angry tree.

For any new characters, they're told to go talk to the Adventurer's Guild leader in their respective city after the opening cutscene. So while those couple of players can choose to believe it's the AG housing the tavern, since there isn't a way to force anyone to believe anything, I wouldn't consider them to be as accurate to the lore. 

Side Note: Anyone who got the collector's edition bluray (or probably some basic youtube searching  skills to find them) can watch the history section of the game lore and see that the adventuring guilds were made after everything else. If a person starts trying to argue lore, the easiest solution is probably to kindly let them know that's not the case for you, but if you're feeling a little more argumentative or want to prove them wrong, there are sources to back it up.

Other Side Note: There's a little cafe by the airship docks in Ul'dah that are also nice. I've used it to reduce the amount of text flying on my screen, or for a "quieter" setting. You may like it too. :)

Other Side Note: There's a little cafe by the airship docks in Ul'dah that are also nice. I've used it to reduce the amount of text flying on my screen, or for a "quieter" setting. You may like it too. :)

Don't be telling people about my special place!! :tonberry:

With common courtesy kept in mind (Such as first-come first serve and respecting people doing plots in open world locations), I'm pretty sure unless you're stood in someone's FC house, no one else can really tell you to (as in, order you to) scram from a location. Most of the time, RP'ers just don't have that IC power, law-enforcement types excluded. If it happens again tell them to mind their own cup of tea ^^

This does bring up a question from me though, and honestly something I've not thought about. How do you sign up for an Adventuring Membership? Is it like Sam's Club? 20 gil a month? Just walk up to the counter and fill out some paperwork?

It's just filling out some paperwork, it seems (the MSQ has the proprietor having you make your mark in a big book). What's really interesting is the level of services provided for that simple act; for instance, the guild pays for your first two retainers, you get a free inn room, etc. You don't even have to do a single leve for any of that.

We know Momodi has a fairly keen connection to the Scions of the Seventh Dawn, being that it's she who makes the formal connection between the Adventurer and the Scions. She also helps handle the whole Yugiri situation. We also know that the Adventurers' Guild in Revenant's Toll actively aids the Scions in return for their assistance in rebuilding. One wonders if the Scions and the AGs have significant monetary and social connections that explain their generally wide-ranging support for relative unknown adventurers -- you never know when one of them might prove to have the Echo, or otherwise serve the Scions' goals.

This is not the first, second, or even third time I've seen or heard that sort of behaviour/reaction in the Quicksand. Not sure if it's the same person(s) each time.

Problem is... the three big NPC's in the Quicksand either (on the surface) support or say nothing against this view. I swapped to a character I have lurking on another server (she's level 4, so this is probably as close as to NPC dialogue to someone who's RPing a non-Adventurer) and this is what I got.

Momodi: You've found your way to the Quicksand, friend. As you can see, we cater to a clientele with an adventurous streak.

Momodi: With the chaos left in the wake of the Calamity, the townsfolk'll be needin' the help of my patrons more than ever.

-- She does say that the Quicksand caters to adventurers. 

-- However, she never says that it is -exclusively- for adventurers. 

Otopa Pottopa: Good day to you, adventurer. Do you seek lodgings at the Hourglass?

Otopa Pottopa: Pardon me, what was your name again? Malay Sant? Hmmm...I've heard nothing from Mistress Momodi about this. Alas, without her express permission, I cannot permit you to stay.

>What would you like to do?

>Option: Ask about the Hourglass.

Otopa Pottopa: The Hourglass is only the most famous inn on the Merchant Strip.

Otopa Pottopa: We have accommodations to satisfy every client's tastes, from lavish suites to simple rooms.

Otopa Pottopa: Were circumstances different, I would gladly invite you to make use of our facilities. However, we have had to enact certain policies in the wake of the Calamity and the unpleasantness that followed. Only those who have proven themselves trustworthy are permitted to stay.

Otopa Pottopa: Should Mistress Momodi deem you one such individual, you may enjoy our hospitality at will.

-- Okay, so this guy won't even do business with you unless you're vetted by Momodi.

-- HOWEVER... he runs the Hourglass, not the Quicksand. 

Eustace: My apologies, ma'am, but I am not authorized to issue guildleves to those as new to adventuring as you appear to be. Perhaps you should speak with Momodi Modi across the hall and see if she cannot point you in the right direction.

-- Another that won't do business with you until Momodi says you're good. And his service is for adventurers.

Okay. So that's the big three in the room... and it's not pretty. Thankfully, none of them say anything along the lines of "You're not an adventurer, so get the heck out!". The other NPC's don't say much else, just bits of flavor text... except for one.

Papasu: Hello there, traveler. Have you tried any dishes at the Quicksand yet? Nothing prepares you for a day of adventuring like a hearty meal, you know!

>What would you like to know?

>Option: Why is it called "The Quicksand"?

Papasu: Have a look around you─all manner of folk get caught in the lure of the Quicksand! They gather here to meet and mingle with one another.

Papasu: 'Course, you adventurers are less like to linger long. Aye, your kind is not unlike sand itself─the more tightly we try to hold on to you, the easier it is for you to slip through our fingers...

Papasu: Oh, I know all about your type. My husband used to be an adventurer, you know. Oh, he was quite a gallant hero way back when. But his days of derring-do are but a distant memory now─aye, and his strapping physique as well.

-- Here it is, game text that says more than just adventurers come into the Quicksand.

-- Iiiiiinteresting... According to this, if you wanted to adhere to the lore of the Quicksand... if you're an adventurer, you shouldn't be hanging around the Quicksand much...

Hope this helps for future 'dealings' with those types of people.

On a side note its curious how rare adventurers are among the people I RP with. People tend ro have regular jobs or positions in society. My character ICly knows momodi, and would help her out if needed, but she's not a member of the guild. Does anyone in here play an active member of the guild? Just curious.

On a side note its curious how rare adventurers are among the people I RP with. People tend ro have regular jobs or positions in society. My character ICly knows momodi, and would help her out if needed, but she's not a member of the guild. Does anyone in here play an active member of the guild? Just curious.

Before Kage swore, he was part of the Adventurer's Guild (and also Thaumaturge). He's since rescinded his membership in the thaumaturge guild.

He's inactive in regards to the AG now.

*makes a so-so motion*

My LS is RPing MSQ, so Kara has signed up... if only because Clive made her do it. She hasn't been too enthusiastic about it.

Frhanz would have been part of the AG before the Calamity, but dropped out for personal research after. 

Obviously, the Unnamed Mercenary is not a registered adventurer, or he wouldn't have had to resort to being a mercenary to make enough gil to survive on.

L'yhta's an active member of the Adventurers' Guild; her profession is essentially being an adventurer and professional wizard for hire. I don't mention it on her wiki page, much like I don't mention her passing associations with the Scions, because it's not all that relevant to her RP. For her, membership is akin to having a "bounty hunter's license" -- it keeps nosy or wary law enforcement personnel from getting in her way. That it also gives access to levemetes and a place to sleep when she's not near her home (or doesn't want to teleport home for some reason) is a nice plus.

Obviously, the Unnamed Mercenary is not a registered adventurer, or he wouldn't have had to resort to being a mercenary to make enough gil to survive on.

"Now we're just about done, but I see you left the Name section blank. Just tell me your name and I'll write it down for you."

UnMerc shuffles his feet awkwardly, looking around the room.

"Sir? Sir, I have to have something to call you."

UnMerc scratches the back of his head and looks at the ceiling.

"Sir please leave."

"Now we're just about done, but I see you left the Name section blank. Just tell me your name and I'll write it down for you."

"Sir please leave."

"HIS NAME IS PORKCHOP!" Natalie shouts from across the bar.

L'yhta's an active member of the Adventurers' Guild; her profession is essentially being an adventurer and professional wizard for hire. I don't mention it on her wiki page, much like I don't mention her passing associations with the Scions, because it's not all that relevant to her RP. For her, membership is akin to having a "bounty hunter's license" -- it keeps nosy or wary law enforcement personnel from getting in her way. That it also gives access to levemetes and a place to sleep when she's not near her home (or doesn't want to teleport home for some reason) is a nice plus.

Aye, likewise, Berrod doesn't really live the life of an adventurer, but he IS registered -- though that was nearly by force at the insistence of a friend. When gil's tight, he does a leve or two. If he overhears a lucrative venture in need of adventurers? SUDDENLY he's the adventurer sort, and the man for the job! Just looking at him loitering around in there, however, one wouldn't be able to tell that he's registered.

"Sir please leave."

"Noah Unn"

... ...

... ... ...

"Sir, I need a name..."

*scribbles down a complex, nonsensical symbol*

"Sir, what's this?"

"It's that." *points at symbol*

"... Okay, but what is this? What's it called?"

"It doesn't have a name."

"... SIR!"

"... Call me... The Mercenary Formerly Known as Prince."

Aya: "Oh no! I'm going to lose my job at the Quick Sand because I'm not an adventurer!"

Someone in the know: "You are in the adventurer's guild."

Aya: "No I'm not!"

SitK: "You joined it in Gridania, I've checked the records."

Aya: "Is that the thing she made me sign?" *squints* "really?"

I think putting any real weight on the adventurer's guild is pretty silly :)

As others have pointed out being a member is quite a tenuous thing, and seems more like a glorified employment agency then some grand group defending Eorzea. Actually I don't think you're ever shown another group of adventurers besides yours that is actually competent. You're always saving them from threats or watching the aftermath of their failure. Even the Company of Heroes was described as a mercenary group I think, and not adventurers (though one is almost shorthand for the other). Geez, get it together adventurers. There needs to be like a certification course or something.

Question 47: The most dangerous part of a Malboro is,

A: Eyes

B: Breath

C: Buttocks

D: Genitals

On a side note you are a member of the best (worst), linkshell, and it can be used ICly, it's easy to handwave how you got a pearl. If anyone ever harasses you over such nonsense Ul'dah's best (worst) group of tavern sitters can come over and throw them out instead.

Just going to echo the sentiment of: You don't have to be an adventurer to hang out in places like the Quicksand or its equivalents. Discounting that it would be incredibly unfair to non-adventurer roleplayers to cut them out of huge RP hubs, there's no real evidence that says they're exclusive locations.

On a side note you are a member of the best (worst), linkshell, and it can be used ICly, it's easy to handwave how you got a pearl. If anyone ever harasses you over such nonsense Ul'dah's best (worst) group of tavern sitters can come over and throw them out instead.

8-)

Cause we're friendly.

As so aptly put in that log, even though many have no such authority, who's going to go up against a mob of friends? xD

There needs to be like a certification course or something.

Question 47: The most dangerous part of a Malboro is,

A: Eyes

B: Breath

C: Buttocks

D: Genitals

Emma takes a seat across from Kara and steals the test out from under the Hyur's pen. "What'cha doing?"

"... They're testing us now." She tries to take the test back from the Corpsetaker. "Now, give that back so I can return to my game."

"Oh, calm down... hey, you answered this one wrong." Emma swats away Kara's hands as she pulls a red pen from her pocket, crosses out the question, and writes a note under it.

--Insufficient details about hypothesized scenario. Are we dealing with strictly program-abiding malboro? Roleplay-behaviored malboro? Hentai-fanfiction malboro? Is the hero wearing full armor, a battle bikini, or Japanese-schoolgirl uniform? Why are tentacles not included in the answer pool? Or is this a subtle hint that this is the hentai-fanfiction malboro scenario, and 'genitals' also covers 'tentacles'?--

Jumping across the table, Kara finally manages to snatch back the test, and then stares at the red writing in horror. "... EM! Holy crap, are you TRYING to get me in trouble?!" She glances at the clock, then groans. "Devs damn you... I have to turn this in in five minutes... I have no chance to re-write all this! I hope Mae hurries the hell up and defeats that pesky Writer's Block so you can get back to work and quit trolling the rest of us..!"

-----

... My brain is a scary place right now...

Don't feed the trolls.

Right around the time the person RPed calling someone over a LS about how to "deal" with you, that's when I would've blacklisted and merrily started RPing in front of their faces. Ridiculous behavior on their part.

Thinking on it this morning, it seems like they were specifically trying to oust non-Adventurers, leading me to believe intentional trolling.

The first question he made to initiate a conversation with us was "Have you done any leves recently?" Or something to that effect. Aside from that being an odd question, it also sounds a bit like bait to draw in people to say Nope, not adventurers, let's argue! Could be reading too much into it, but after trying to have a mature, polite conversation with the back-up who joined, I found it was going no where and he could not accept my apology and plead to stop discussion of it even after I stopped replying.