Seeking slavery themed connections

We (those of us in the Phoenix Rose FC) are looking for connections. We're a very small sanctuary themed FC in Uldah* that focuses on helping and providing for freed slaves. Under the surface we're looking at getting some plots in the works that will give us some anti-slavery vigilante themes.

We're wanting to branch out with others in the community so we're looking for other FCs, groups, or even individuals that might like to explore these themes with us. Anything from someone looking to 'sponsor' the sanctuary and help keep it running, to mentors, to The Law taking offense at those taking the law into their own hands, to active slavers. We're open to ideas!

If you'd rather send a private message than respond here, you can note myself, Vaughn, or Kyatai here in the forums. Thank you for reading!

*No house yet but we're trying to work on that.

Cyrus would definitely assist if you ever manage to find slavers willing to have people interfere. Val, as much as he tends to keep to himself, would also lend some assistance. Slavery is one of the few things that grinds his gears enough to allow him to come to an understanding with others.

Chika would certainly help in any way that she can :) When she worked in the brothel she was treated much like a slave is, but she got free of the life. If she finds out she'll probably offer to help. I also have my alt, T'rahz Vashka, who is a therapist and is going the route of a healer. So she could possibly help tend to wounds both the physical, and mental along with emotional.

L'yhta could help train promising ex-slaves in the ways of magic, arm the vigilantes with magical force, or just go help release slaves and kill slavers (she's not much into "second chances" for their ilk, and she's not so good at ascertaining the long-term consequences of her actions).

I do have a villainous alt who doesn't enslave people so much as he buys slaves to "free" them and brainwashes them into his cult instead. If you're interested in that plot, we should probably exchange some PMs. :)

I do have a villainous alt who doesn't enslave people so much as he buys slaves to "free" them and brainwashes them into his cult instead. If you're interested in that plot, we should probably exchange some PMs. :)

Oh, do I have an alt for this xD It will be heartbreaking for those who know him, but so easy for you...

I could easily incorporate a bit of slavery into R'tashana's past. It would actually fit in pretty well with the rest of her life, and could fill in a bit of the blank space that's present.

She's a tough nut to crack though. So perhaps bring in Chika Ito or another therapist minded individual could drag a few of the skeletons out of the closet.

Yune has themes of slavery in her backstory, but it has yet to come back to haunt her yet and she is, for the time being, blissfully ignorant of it ever happening. But if a point in time comes that such things come out in her personal storyline, I'll be sure to keep this in mind and keep in touch~

PATH would most certainly aide in the protection and freeing of slaves! A ship load of refugees to Limsa? From Limsa? :thumbsup: 

And while Teryn was freed... I'd be happy to work her more in to the rehab you're doing for others!

:love:

PATH would most certainly aide in the protection and freeing of slaves! A ship load of refugees to Limsa? From Limsa? :thumbsup: 

And while Teryn was freed... I'd be happy to work her more in to the rehab you're doing for others!

:love:

We're already working with you on some level regarding this. It's quite exciting!

Bartolomeo's noble family business consisted in slavery that was legal his realm. Even though his kinsmen have been wiped out, such portions of his history may very well implicate him being slightly known in the market.

Noble houses! Yes! If we're going that far back (only a few moons if I remember my timelines correctly), he might know a few outdated things. Send a PM to either Jaques or myself if you don't mind getting a little weird.

Tiergan is an escaped slave, so I am all over this. Will poke you folks at the soonest opportunity.

I've been trying to RP with you for quite a while but could never think of something big enough. We'll be glad to have you! Now to figure out details... *plotting hands of evil*

• 4 months later...

Where are the slavers? Seems to be a shortage of them sadly, that dynamic has always interested me since I too have a character with that background.

That's because slavers know how this kinda role-play always ends.....

Good Guys Guys: 1,264,109  Bad Guys: 0

Edit: I'm not speaking from experience, but in just about every role-play i see, bad guy always loses.

Where are the slavers? Seems to be a shortage of them sadly, that dynamic has always interested me since I too have a character with that background.

That's because slavers know how this kinda role-play always ends.....

Good Guys Guys: 1,264,109  Bad Guys: 0

Edit: I'm not speaking from experience, but in just about every role-play i see, bad guy always loses.

That isn't terribly surprisingly in a heroic fantasy setting though. Consequences are important and whilst it can be frustrating and boring to see the hero save the day over and over again it's equally as jarring to see the villain(s) escape unscathed with absolutely no repercussions for their actions. When they make repeat appearances it risks making even the most fearsome foe becoming little more than a cartoon antagonist.

Seems like a really old topic, but it's the first time I've seen it. I was sort of curious to what the subject matter and after reading it, read through the replies because I was wondering if there was anyone who would have volunteered to play the villain side.

I think it's very rare that the bad guys ever win in movies or roleplay, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to try or that the consequences have to be directly impact or long long lasting. Though in general, probably the reason is there just aren't as many bad characters as there are good. I'm still trying to kick my but to RP, but I know at least when I do, I'll try to be stick to an evil aligned character.

I'm sure the boat has sailed on this plot/experiment, but it's fun to ponder what else could be done from the slavers side to drive some interesting plots. If there were at least some slavers (PC or NPC), I could possibly imagine Phayte being hired and disguising herself as an escaped slave fleeing to the sanctuary. From there, she could be feeding false information to its members about being part of a larger group that was being transported. That could open some interesting interactions where maybe a band of members try to go for a rescue but get ambushed. The intent wouldn't have to be to like murder anyone, but a morale blow to the anti-slavery efforts.

I've tried playing a slaver in a Post-Apoc MMO setting before, and as Sundance said, the 'good guys' ruin it, even in that setting. So it wouldn't surprise me that they'd be a close-knit group here, or even non-existent.

In my experience, some people (the good guys) take it personally OOC and go all out trying to hinder you. Others find it an interesting concept to be the slaver's personal nemesis. Sadly few ever go "Hey, what are the laws concerning slavery? Maybe I shouldn't interfere."