help me flesh my character out with some RP?

Aisa "Asten" Jinjahl.

Keeper of the Moon, ♀, Conjurer, usually in Gridania, but spends much time traveling and visiting other places.

Interesting at best, disturbing at worst -- Asten is very strange, that much is certain. While she is an exceptional conjurer, especially with healing, her demeanor tends to put off people from her as a whole, and thus she doesn't seem to have any friends -- not that she seems to mind much.

While she isn't necessarily a loose cannon, nor particularly threatening to the average citizen, she does seem like something just isn't quite right in her head. She has very exaggerated movements most of the time, whether that means swaying in place while waiting, a single victorious spin when she has made a point, or an unsettling grin with her hands on either side of her face. It's almost as if she is trying to be girlish and cutesy -- but it doesn't usually work, as her actions don't tend to match her words, and something just seems to be odd about her at all times.

Although Asten doesn't seem to bother the locals much, or anyone, and would still be the type to give some form of found item to any authority that may be able to find the owner -- sometimes she has been known to approach someone with the intention of giving unwanted advice or some other trivial concern. Usually, though, she keeps to herself, occasionally talking to no one but herself, or the occasional little companion.

now, before I get too established in the community, I'd like to give you the above and ask for a few people who would be interested in helping me flesh her out by pure interactions of any sort. as I'm otherwise new to the game, advice and pointers would be appreciated and taken into consideration as well!

although I must note that at this time I am not exactly that fond of action/fighting RP and would prefer a supporting role in most plots that involve heavy action. I much prefer social RP of any kind, friends/enemies/relationships/family/whatever. but I'm also willing to play the action kind of RP that a healer is supposed to be used in -- healing. (tips on how to heal without being too OP about it, if that is a concern, would be good, yes.)

I also won't be on all day every day, but either when I feel like it, have the time, am not at work or when I am set for an RP time with someone else. this computer isn't made for all-day gaming... so planning a time to RP is pretty much essential with me, sobs.

anyway, drop me a line by comment here or by PM if you might like to help me out one way or another!  I've got skype more than welcome for those of you who might like to plan that way and/or plan times to meet in-game! and my username is not my character name, unfortunately, so if you see "Alisviel Rosenthal" somewhere, that's me with my typical MMO username.

Sadly, there's not really any point in game where RPing a WHM becomes logical. XIV kinda screwed us over on that one. =/ At any rate, I'm always glad to help out and find some more RP buddies! They're all WIP's, but my characters' Wikis are in my signature if you'd like to take a look and see if any interest you.

Sadly, there's not really any point in game where RPing a WHM becomes logical. XIV kinda screwed us over on that one. =/ At any rate, I'm always glad to help out and find some more RP buddies! They're all WIP's, but my characters' Wikis are in my signature if you'd like to take a look and see if any interest you.

I really like both Faye and X'unmei!! they would be fun to RP with, either one :'D although I'd have more ideas if I were to attempt to RP with Faye, I think.

and what do you mean? that white mages aren't a logical thing in the storyline/lore, or that it's illogical to go from conjurer to white mage, or? (it's true that I've pretty much never seen a white mage mentioned in any form in the story thus far, hmmm... that's interesting. another reason I enjoy getting pointers, because lol haven't finished the story nor looked too far into lore as it is. )

Unfortunately, White Mages are extremely extremely special characters. Having your character as a white mage is pretty much something not allowed by the lore of the game. I haven't started it yet but pretty much only Padjal's can become white mages. It's a case where the player character is allowed to be a white mage in the game because the player character in the game is super special snowflake.

Unfortunately, White Mages are extremely extremely special characters. Having your character as a white mage is pretty much something not allowed by the lore of the game. I haven't started it yet but pretty much only Padjal's  can become white mages. It's a case where the player character is allowed to be a white mage in the game because the player character in the game is super special snowflake.

ohhh I see! that makes sense now, as to why I never see/hear about that. conjurer it is.

now, I like player characters / protagonists in their special circumstances, but that doesn't work for RP characters nearly as well if we all want to abide by lore, so... thanks for clearing that up :'D 

(should probably have expected that lmao, but oh well, that's still really minor when I think about it.)

I really like both Faye and X'unmei!! they would be fun to RP with, either one :'D although I'd have more ideas if I were to attempt to RP with Faye, I think.

and what do you mean? that white mages aren't a logical thing in the storyline/lore, or that it's illogical to go from conjurer to white mage, or? (it's true that I've pretty much never seen a white mage mentioned in any form in the story thus far, hmmm... that's interesting. another reason I enjoy getting pointers, because lol haven't finished the story nor looked too far into lore as it is. )

Either would be fine by me, Faye being easier anyway seeing that she's my main and all! And as Kage said, only members of a specific, NPC race can be WHM and in the WHM storyline your character is kinda "the chosen one," the first non Padjal WHM who has to jump through hoops to even prove to the Padjal that you're worthy of the title. Very disappointing as I originally wished for Faye to be a WHM IC. :<

Either would be fine by me, Faye being easier anyway seeing that she's my main and all! And as Kage said, only members of a specific, NPC race can be WHM and in the WHM storyline your character is kinda "the chosen one," the first non Padjal WHM who has to jump through hoops to even prove to the Padjal that you're worthy of the title. Very disappointing as I originally wished for Faye to be a WHM IC. :<

yeah, I know right? I've never been able to RP a white mage in a proper FF setting before, and here I thought I'd be able to, but NOPE. )': I suppose if an FF RPers community on Tumblr (canonical ones from the non-MMO FFs I mean) would accept OCs there would be that, but I've never really been very fond of FFs before XIV with the exception of IX so it's like... why would I want to do that, lol. I don't even really enjoy the characters in most FFs. TWEWY's characters, now THEY are where my jam is -- no zetta silly puns intended, since I believe it was you who said they enjoyed TWEWY as well. :'D

I suppose I could always have an NPC in the backstory of this character's, but I don't think I'll plan on that until I get to the proper place in the game's story, haha. that's the only thing that bothers me about MMO roleplaying, really, as opposed to forum and text and etc roleplaying -- your character doesn't really get the chance to match up with the game's written storyline. (if someone were to try to do that, it would invalidate too many other RP characters, wouldn't it... and even if it didn't conflict with anyone, I don't think any MMO RPing community would trust or even want to RP with someone who is potentially OP like that.)

though I guess it's more that good story writing doesn't hold the same set of ideals as good RPing -- that's probably where the disconnect really comes in, haha.

ANYWAY rambling aside, yeah, let's RP sometime! I don't know when I should sign in to FFXIV, but would you have a time today or tomorrow to RP with me on Faye?

The WHM thing's still a little iffy though. It's not quite /just/ Padjal, but there's already a thread for that debate. At this time, in the game, there is not a rising number of fresh, newly trained WHMs, but it could happen at some point in the future. (The Padjal that are WHMs are discussing the topic, at least, that's how I interpreted the WHM quests in game.)

That said, I've been thinking of taking Franz over to Gridania for some "trips" here and there, and I think we could probably plan out some run-ins, maybe meetups, if you'd be interested. I OOCly visit the city a lot because I like my tree city best. (And Adders are the best Grand Company *cough* )

The WHM thing's still a little iffy though. It's not quite /just/ Padjal, but there's already a thread for that debate. At this time, in the game, there is not a rising number of fresh, newly trained WHMs, but it could happen at some point in the future. (The Padjal that are WHMs are discussing the topic, at least, that's how I interpreted the WHM quests in game.)

That said, I've been thinking of taking Franz over to Gridania for some "trips" here and there, and I think we could probably plan out some run-ins, maybe meetups, if you'd be interested. I OOCly visit the city a lot because I like my tree city best. (And Adders are the best Grand Company *cough* )

we'll see if that happens in the game's future! that would be pretty cool, but at the same time -- wouldn't it be hard to manage them if every conjurer RPer wanted to be a white mage IC? )': 

(actually I am now thinking about the potentials of a Padjal WHM as an NPC one in this character's backstory... who is/was probably just as weird but a little more tolerable. I'll work on that when I get there ingame or find more out about the whole shebang, in order to make it all work properly at some point if possible, but until I know what I'm doing, I'll just do some more basic development.)

ohhh yes that would be fun! run-ins are the best. :'D I am so up for that, let's do it.

... I want to sign in at some point to do some RPing within the next hour or two, but first I will need to do a short thing IRL. uwee hee hee. will scour the forum for resources soon, if I do not sign in after I am back from IRL things.

we'll see if that happens in the game's future! that would be pretty cool, but at the same time -- wouldn't it be hard to manage them if every conjurer RPer wanted to be a white mage IC? )': 

(actually I am now thinking about the potentials of a Padjal WHM as an NPC one in this character's backstory... who is/was probably just as weird but a little more tolerable. I'll work on that when I get there ingame or find more out about the whole shebang, in order to make it all work properly at some point if possible, but until I know what I'm doing, I'll just do some more basic development.)

ohhh yes that would be fun! run-ins are the best. :'D I am so up for that, let's do it.

... I want to sign in at some point to do some RPing within the next hour or two, but first I will need to do a short thing IRL. uwee hee hee. will scour the forum for resources soon, if I do not sign in after I am back from IRL things.

I'll be off work ~1 hour. I'll try to find you in game. Don't get too surprised if a giant highlander guy stalks you. (Keep an eye out for a 'Franz Renatus' ) :)

yeah, I know right? I've never been able to RP a white mage in a proper FF setting before, and here I thought I'd be able to, but NOPE. )': I suppose if an FF RPers community on Tumblr (canonical ones from the non-MMO FFs I mean) would accept OCs there would be that, but I've never really been very fond of FFs before XIV with the exception of IX so it's like... why would I want to do that, lol. I don't even really enjoy the characters in most FFs. TWEWY's characters, now THEY are where my jam is -- no zetta silly puns intended, since I believe it was you who said they enjoyed TWEWY as well. :'D

I suppose I could always have an NPC in the backstory of this character's, but I don't think I'll plan on that until I get to the proper place in the game's story, haha. that's the only thing that bothers me about MMO roleplaying, really, as opposed to forum and text and etc roleplaying -- your character doesn't really get the chance to match up with the game's written storyline. (if someone were to try to do that, it would invalidate too many other RP characters, wouldn't it... and even if it didn't conflict with anyone, I don't think any MMO RPing community would trust or even want to RP with someone who is potentially OP like that.)

though I guess it's more that good story writing doesn't hold the same set of ideals as good RPing -- that's probably where the disconnect really comes in, haha.

ANYWAY rambling aside, yeah, let's RP sometime! I don't know when I should sign in to FFXIV, but would you have a time today or tomorrow to RP with me on Faye?

SOHCAHTOA! Yeah, I adore Squeenix, but more so for Kingdom Hearts and TWEWY than for FF (I mean, obviously I enjoy XIV, but). Sadly, XIV did a poor job of making the storylines conducive to an MMO setting, or at least for RP. The storyline is really geared toward a single-player mentality of your character being a special snowflake, the main character and hero of the world, strongest person in Eorzea, etc. Which is fine for gameplay, but obviously not viable in role-play (unless you want everyone to hate you and your character lol). 

I'll be around sporadically tonight, and if not tonight I'll be free all day tomorrow. :D

Fuck the police.

RP a White Mage.

Yeah, I said it. If you need an excuse, cite that Jobs, by definition, are old roles that are now becoming more commonplace. People want you to tie it to the lore? The "Special Snowflake" who became the first non-Padjal White Mage? Yeah, he wasn't the only one, he's just the first in line in what is a new trend. You're just part of a change in times, something that could make for a very interesting roleplay.

The idea that there are now White Mages cropping up could create anything from conflict with nonbelievers to discussion about the Elementals and a new perspective on who is really worthy of the title.

Your character could have to deal with people who think, even though you have that precious connection with the Succor, you're no Padjal, so you don't deserve the title. Others might be wary, because they your powers are some sort of "witchcraft" or an exception similar to the one present in the  Conjurer questline and your life is slowly ticking away. The point is, it creates a lot of tense moments and brings up a lot to discuss. If you play your cards right, it could be really good.

There are so many ways you could roll with this, and it is such a goddamned pity so many people are so petrified of defying the Lore that they won't take the risk. Since when has the Lore stopped us before? If anything, we've been bending the Lore to suit our wishes for a long time now. We've been respectful, sure (DRGs are a good example), but we have always defied it when the Lore says something like only one person can possibly have this class. Because that's so restrictive, and it just flies in the face of our freedom to roleplay what we want.

If no one else will, I will support you. Ultimately, yes, be mindful, and have a good excuse, but be a White Mage. Break the mold. Please.

Fuck the police.

RP a White Mage.

Yeah, I said it. If you need an excuse, cite that Jobs, by definition, are old roles that are now becoming more commonplace. People want you to tie it to the lore? The "Special Snowflake" who became the first non-Padjal White Mage? Yeah, he wasn't the only one, he's just the first in line in what is a new trend. You're just part of a change in times, something that could make for a very interesting roleplay.

The idea that there are now White Mages cropping up could create anything from conflict with nonbelievers to discussion about the Elementals and a new perspective on who is really worthy of the title.

Your character could have to deal with people who think, even though you have that precious connection with the Succor, you're no Padjal, so you don't deserve the title. Others might be wary, because they your powers are some sort of "witchcraft" or an exception similar to the one present in the  Conjurer questline and your life is slowly ticking away. The point is, it creates a lot of tense moments and brings up a lot to discuss. If you play your cards right, it could be really good.

There are so many ways you could roll with this, and it is such a goddamned pity so many people are so petrified of defying the Lore that they won't take the risk. Since when has the Lore stopped us before? If anything, we've been bending the Lore to suit our wishes for a long time now. We've been respectful, sure (DRGs are a good example), but we have always defied it when the Lore says something like only one person can possibly have this class. Because that's so restrictive, and it just flies in the face of our freedom to roleplay what we want.

If no one else will, I will support you. Ultimately, yes, be mindful, and have a good excuse, but be a White Mage. Break the mold. Please.

-- you are right in many ways, and I actually agree very heavily in the realm of "do what you want before you abide 100% to the lore" as I've never found the "norm" of RP characters interesting ANYWAY.

to make that point, I'll point out that my most successful OC in TWEWY fandom is basically a break from the norm in many ways, yet no one minds because there is a lot of care taken to do the norm-breaking sensibly, or so I've been told / try to do. and given that in TWEWY fandom, there were virtually no "interesting/good" OCs that people even wanted to RP with (everyone was a canon character -- no one I spoke with even enjoyed any TWEWY OCs, because apparently, all of them weren't played in a canon-friendly way or by a player who knew what they were doing.) 

let's just say that OC I play has so many qualities that would be considered "special snowflake" if all of them were brought to the surface at once, or put into a standard RP profile, that I refuse under any circumstance to fill out a profile form publicly. it isn't even about hiding them OOC, although the character themselves hides many of their special-snowflake qualities for many reasons -- it's because there isn't as much interest to an RPer if literally everything about the character is laid out neatly in a profile. if they are played well, the interest will generate naturally, and the promise of that secrecy that "I am more than meets the eye" will be fulfilled if they choose to interact more with my character, and not disappoint them with a less-interesting character. 

that's been my experience with all kinds of characters I've ever played, and with all kinds of people and their characters I've ever RPed with.

however, canons/NPCse can get away with nearly anything in the published fiction world, in any medium, because they are made by a polished, professional writer. usually, anyway.

I don't mean to toot my own horn, lmao, even if it sounds like it, just trying to tell any potential naysayers that I am not a newb or an OP player. I'm just someone who really prefers to write characters that break norm. because, let's get real -- who reads a book or plays a game about a completely Average Joe doing average things? if there is no conflict, there is no story, and a breaking-norm character can be perfect conflict if done tastefully.

back to the subject, though.

at the moment I am a little bit untrained in the lore -- as of right now, anyway. however, this is a very good idea I might use when I have played firsthand through what the White Mage thing actually needs to qualify someone as such. although the "screw what everyone else thinks, become a White Mage, show them all up" could work if I find myself using that Padjal NPC I mentioned earlier... it'd probably be sort of an "illegitimate" white mage scenario given that said NPC would be somewhere along the lines of ditching the norm at some point, before the character I play now shows up, to begin with. however, if that's even possible, I don't know at the moment. I'll need to play further into the Conjurer story and even get to the WHM story before I am able to do that, haha. (or have some guidance and/or people willing to help me fill in the blanks in what I know, tell me a little about things and stuff, blah blah.)

that said, I will still think about doing it, but it certainly wouldn't be completely public knowledge -- it would probably be played more secretively IC if I were to do it. if I were doing it, it would most likely be balanced with a good heaping of flaws, aka more than the normal character needs, for one. and for another, I'd probably play the character like a conjurer that is more than meets the eye, and anyone who suspects otherwise IC would have to get closer to the character to be able to even reasonably say "that is NOT just a conjurer".

actually, my one concern is that if I AM to do this and let a potential action RP situation build up, would people say it's OP and/or get offended and not want to RP with me if I am to mention, "this is not your average conjurer" or even just warn them that this is not a character that should be taken too lightly? I don't think the route of losing on purpose is a nice one to actually RP with, because that invalidates the others' win. and this is why I don't really like action RP to begin with -- no matter what happens, I tend to end up unhappy OOC with it somehow, sighs. maybe it's a matter of perspective?

... I'm rambling again, wow. tl;dr I agree and if I do that when I am more able to, it will be as tastefully as possible and allow everyone to make their own IC/OOC stance on it.

[clipped for lots of stuff]

I think that's a good way to go about it. While I'd like to say all of the community would be accepting, there have been a couple griefers in Ul'dah that would beg to differ. (To the point that a few people I know have had to send in GM reports)

I think having qualities that are not made public make a character more interesting and support the idea. And getting people more used to white mages would be awesome. There's always a certain amount of lore-bending that has to take place with RP (since, our characters are all technically the main character of the story otherwise). Looking at it from a way the lore /would/ make it work, chronologically, there could/should be more WHMs after the theoretical "Main-Character" went and cleared the main scenario quest of A Real Reborn, showing that a non-Padjal can white mage.

...I'd just make sure that people who learn the secret are OOCly ok with that lore. No two minds think alike, and communication helps build community.

on a completely off topic note: work kept me late >_>

actually, my one concern is that if I AM to do this and let a potential action RP situation build up, would people say it's OP and/or get offended and not want to RP with me if I am to mention, "this is not your average conjurer" or even just warn them that this is not a character that should be taken too lightly? I don't think the route of losing on purpose is a nice one to actually RP with, because that invalidates the others' win. and this is why I don't really like action RP to begin with -- no matter what happens, I tend to end up unhappy OOC with it somehow, sighs. maybe it's a matter of perspective?

... I'm rambling again, wow. tl;dr I agree and if I do that when I am more able to, it will be as tastefully as possible and allow everyone to make their own IC/OOC stance on it.

When it gets down to it, you're the one who chooses who you RP with. Not them. And as for action RP, what tends to solve that is heavy OOC communication. I find I am much more satisfied with having my character get the shit kicked out of him if we discussed it and determined stuff like "no lethal blows".

Just, know this: You will never please everybody. But don't let that get you down. There are people out there itching for something new. Your roleplay could be very refreshing to them and those are the people you want to give the time of day.

I wish you all the luck in your endeavors. Both of my characters are listed in my signature. Send me a friend request if you like. I can get you in touch with some really nice people.

You say that as if anyone on the field would recognize the difference between Succor and Conjury in the first place. If you WERE to be from the first line of non-Padjal White Mages, there'd be absolutely zero reason for you to broadcast that. A humble cloak and a stout staff would serve you just as well as your magic, and all anyone would know is that you were an able healer.

Reminds me of the olds myths about travelers passing Gods on the roads, disguised as humble beggars and travelers.

We follow the lore because without it we're RPing in an undefined free-for-all of a fantasy kitchen sink universe where one person's canon is that only Padjal can become WHM's, someone else's canon is their character is the one special snowflake who became the only non-Padjal WHM, and another person's canon is that there's nothing special about being a WHM and anyone and everyone can become one. Put the three in a room together and you get immense IC confusion, narrative dissonance, and ultimately an OOC argument of Person A saying "we all need to follow the lore," Person B saying "only special people like me can break the lore," and Person C saying "screw the lore we should all do what I want." 

I think it's pretty obvious why the causes problems and how following lore makes RP a smoother, less confusing, and less dramatic experience. :) However, I'm all for bending the lore where fit, and while I don't personally advocate breaking it I couldn't care less if someone does (if it bothers me that much, I won't RP with him/her, and that's the extent of it). I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from playing a WHM. I just think anyone who does needs to realize that A) They're breaking lore, B) They need to be prepared to face IC confusion/criticism from other characters for essentially breaking the laws of the universe, and C) They need to be aware of the possibility of the "lore nazis" screeching at them for violating the lore.

I also wouldn't personally advise taking the game's storyline as canon. According to the game's storyline, if you roll a WHM, you're the first non Padjal WHM and sure, it's not illogical that it could be the start of a trend and you're the first of many (unlikely, in that WHM are a rare thing to begin with, but hey, whatever). And according to the storyline, you also kill Gaius von Baelsur. I wouldn't take that as canon. You'll run into characters who are aiming to kill Gaius, characters who say that they already have killed him, characters who say he's still alive, and characters who say he's already dead. Personally, I'd rather distance myself/my character from the story's plot points as to not step on anyone else's toes nor have mine stepped on.

You say that as if anyone on the field would recognize the difference between Succor and Conjury in the first place. If you WERE to be from the first line of non-Padjal White Mages, there'd be absolutely zero reason for you to broadcast that. A humble cloak and a stout staff would serve you just as well as your magic, and all anyone would know is that you were an able healer.

Reminds me of the olds myths about travelers passing Gods on the roads, disguised as humble beggars and travelers.

Norse Mythology. Wodan and Odin.

As for the lore bit, I'd have to say I'm Pro-Lore, anti breaking it.

The reasons are pretty much the same as Fayes.

In any type of Roleplay community, no matter how you shape it, there has to be congruence between Your character, and all the characters you play with. As in; Absolutely everything must be the same for all characters in terms of laws of physics / the world setting / and so on, otherwise you create story paradoxes that destroy immersion with the snap of the finger.

HOWEVER. (and this is the big flipside of it)

Adhering to Lore does 'not' mean you're usually limited, or forced to play an average joe. For Example, a white mage is nothing else then a Glorified Healer in certain aspects (but i'm not too clear on WHM lore, so sue me). If it is said glorification you seek (no matter whether it's publicly advertised as some type of wunderkind phenomena) or just a detail you'd like to have for yourself, You can always find ways to achieve that by avoiding the label 'WHM'. You could simply go with something along the lines that your character has received a direct blessing from Nophica upon birth, making anything related to healing ar Conjury her second nature.

In the end, WHM is nothing but an elitary title to describe a handful of conjurers with a special aptitude/heritage. To create something alike, or that functions similarly, without touching the WHM powerderkeg is quite easy. It just takes a bit of clever shifting to achieve what you look for.

One thing I'd point out, as others have noted, is that it's in no way a decided issue that White Mage is a class that players can't play without falling into "special snowflake or lore breaker" territory. There's several threads (some locked :cry: ) that go into detail on the various arguments on both sides and the support from lore for both. Without making a statement on which camp I fall into, I'd simply advise that there's very strong feelings on the issue and that RPing being a White Mage has a high probability of causing problems.

As for the WHM lore, there's a big difference metaphysically between a White Mage and a Conjurer -- but that in no way prevents you from playing a powerful, skilled healer using Conjury, Arcanima, or both.

what lore breaking is as opposed to lore bending tends to be subjective when in smaller doses. that's what I'll have to figure out. how to bend the lore a smidge to suit me and the people that I will end up RPing with, rather than break it outright.

I think I should also say that it takes a whole lot from any of my characters to keep me interested long-term, so I don't get tired of a character before I even finish developing them. that's why I'm not about to start with a personally less interesting character. it's all a matter of views and personal preferences, anyway. I'll just say again, my most successful OCs in any place, with everyone, have always had that special-snowflake risk. if I knew what I was doing right away, I probably wouldn't have even needed to ask the question, haha. hence asking and a little paranoia, orz

personally, in regards to the suggestions, I'm most likely to do something similar to WHM without actually being a proper WHM. either way, bless that ignorance is bliss, because there's no need for glory over on my end by way of titles. I'd rather get glory for having an interesting character, but y'know, gotta make one before I can have one.

I don't know how everyone at large rolls, but I'm going to play through the story first, before I decide what to do, haha. until I play through the rest, I won't be sure how to approach it. I'm still in the development process, so I'm not too worried about it, and probably won't 100% finish the development process until I start seeing more cutscenes with the important figures and such.

(and on another note, I have a feeling this character would be far more likely to be friends with the sylph than the Gridanians... I am totally going after that Sylph-Friend title when I get up there in levels. whoo, lv24 as of today.)

either way, delicious ideas and feedback are wonderful, thanks to everyone for giving me their views and opinions! (and ideas in some cases.)

As Gaspard suggested, being something of an "unofficial" white mage is perfectly fine and more or less what I've done with Faye to skirt around the issue. :D She's certainly not WHM material, but through diligence and pure stubbornness she's managed to tap into holy magic enough to cast something akin to the spell Holy. Otherwise, she's just your average conjurer, and not recognized by anyone--even herself--as a WHM.

It should be noted that the signature WHM spell - Holy - is one of the most destructive spells in the game, according to the lore.  It's heavily implied that Holy is what was destroying the land when the conflict between Black Mage and White Mage nearly caused the world to end (and ended an Astral Age).

That said, you can play whatever you want.

It's entirely possible to be an extremely powerful Conjurer.  White Magic is supposed to be nearly godlike, however, and capable of what-should-be-impossible feats of healing and the like.

I suppose we can hope that at some point SE will realize their mistake and go back to the 1.0 version of the questline.

The RP we did yesterday was fun/interesting! ...I'm gonna try to keep Franz around the Shroud more often, since there are more viable methods of transportation to allow such.

Among other things, you now have a wiki entry as well! (well, sorta. I try to add all the people Franz has held a conversation with onto it as a big contact sheet) :)

It should be noted that the signature WHM spell - Holy - is one of the most destructive spells in the game, according to the lore.  It's heavily implied that Holy is what was destroying the land when the conflict between Black Mage and White Mage nearly caused the world to end (and ended an Astral Age).

That said, you can play whatever you want.

It's entirely possible to be an extremely powerful Conjurer.  White Magic is supposed to be nearly godlike, however, and capable of what-should-be-impossible feats of healing and the like.

I suppose we can hope that at some point SE will realize their mistake and go back to the 1.0 version of the questline.

*Side-eyes Raya-O-Senna spamming Holy*

Ooh girl you doin' it wrooong...shame on you! Shave off them horns!