How to SCH?

Kage

So... I finally got SCH to 50! last night. (which also means I have SMN but bleh idk)

Anyway. In my last few runs of DD and AV I feel like I had issues keeping the party alive without utterly draining my MP.

Halp?

I'm specifically thinking of the Morbol fights or the bosses who hit really hard or constantly. 2nd boss and 3rd boss in DD. I get less than half of my MP bar in there and I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure as sch I shouldn't get hurt by that so much.

I try to keep galvanize up all the time on everyone. Is that bad?

I have physic+embrace tied and Eos and/or selene on obey so I hit Fey when I think magic attacks are incoming or whispering dawn when it looks like I need party-wide heals that succor won't be good for.

I'd throw sacred soil when gathered but a lot of these fights I had MP issues on people weren't gathered.

also. why can't tanks dodge coincounter? I don't remember having a hard time with him. :c

SCH is more about mitigating damage as opposed to big heals. 

MP Things:

USE ENERGY DRAIN! Seriously. If your aetherflow cooldown is done, or will be done and the party's in good condition, spam it a few times and get some MP back, and aetherflow to boost it up more. If you're having to repeatedly throw adloqiums on the entire party, there's an issue. 

Use physick more often than Adloqium. Or Succor the entire party if you just need a little bit of healing. Physick uses less MP, and heals slightly more iirc. I use a ratio of about 1 adlo to 3 physicks, unless it's a  big pull and the adlo is getting wiped out fast. (Which in that case, it's up to the DPS and tank)

Keeping up Galvanize:

Only keep it up when needed. If you're fighting a boss, probably only the tank needs it. Just like a WHM wouldn't keep regen on the entire party at all times, you don't need to keep galvanize on everyone either. If you've got stoneskin, you could layer that on top as well.

Aurum Vale healing:

This is a little harder to help out with without seeing how your tank pulled and how you healed. A lot of the stuff in AV hits pretty hard, so if your tank was overpulling for the group's ability, chances are you were getting overworked. Especially if people couldn't dodge. If there's an AOE-safe spot, you can also stick Eos near the tank or DPS. A quick succor on the party before pulls can help. In somewhere like AV, where you're level synced or at-level, it's a lot harder to accommodate people who are not as ready for the dungeon as they'd like to be. It's also a lot of dodging.

The SCH motto;

"Don't hesitate, Lustrate!"

Seriously. Lustrate is your "OH SHIT THINGS ARE HAPPENING" panic button, like with WHM for Benediction (though arguably, a lot of people would argue how Lustrate is better, but that's a different subject). Don't hesitate to use it. At all.

Secondly, Energy Drain and Aetherflow are heavenly if you need MP on the dot. Franz explained better than I can.

Learn how to be comfortable with your pet -- and manage them as of thet were you. Eos and Selene are the best things ever. A lot of people just SiC them since they have pretty good AI for the most part, but experiment!

I can't stress this enough for ACN jobs, but. AETHERFLOW os your best friend.

Try to not be overzealous with Succor or Adloquium, they're MP sinks and don't heal for very much, even if they have a great shield bonus. You'll run out of MP, as you eventually run out of Aetherflows.

I'll be the first to admit I'm not that great on the ACN Jobs, but I like to think I'm fairly competent healer and I basically never run out of MP on SCH. The approach I use is:

• Use Physick instead of Adloquium whenever possible. Adlo is very expensive for what it does, so save it for big hits or when you need to be doing something else (you can Adlo the tank to buy time for Physick or DoTs). If you're coming from WHM, think of Adlo as Cure II and Physick as Cure.
  • Don't use Succor except for group healing or damage mitigation. For instance, in AV, you'd use Succor right before or after Burr Burrow from the Miser's Mistress (to mitigate or patch up). Against Coincounter, you'd only use it if a bunch of people eat Eye of the Beholder. Against the Locksmith, you might use it if people are getting low from poison stacks, but typically, you can use Physick for that (Adlo the tank, Physick the injured party). You shouldn't be trying to keep Succor up on everyone at once. If you're coming from WHM, think of Succor as Medica II.
  • Lustrate is your friend, but so is Sacred Soil. I try to use SS and 2x Lustrate every Aetherflow stack, but it depends on the fight. Mob hits hard, but predictably? Use SS more. Mob hits hard, but unpredictably? Use Lustrate more.
  • Don't worry if people don't run into the SS area. Try to catch the tank with it. It's their problem if they don't get into the very visible shield. :)
  • Put Eos on Obey and drop her AE effects when they're most useful, not when she decides to toss them out.
  • Be sure to keep Aetherflow up. Can't stress that enough. Any time that button is lit up, hit it (but be sure to Lustrate or SS before hand if you have any stacks left). It's how you keep your MP high.

The SCH motto;

"Don't hesitate, Lustrate!"

Seriously. Lustrate is your "OH SHIT THINGS ARE HAPPENING" panic button, like with WHM for Benediction (though arguably, a lot of people would argue how Lustrate is better, but that's a different subject). Don't hesitate to use it. At all.

Secondly, Energy Drain and Aetherflow are heavenly if you need MP on the dot. Franz explained better than I can.

Learn how to be comfortable with your pet -- and manage them as of thet were you. Eos and Selene are the best things ever. A lot of people just SiC them since they have pretty good AI for the most part, but experiment!

I can't stress this enough for ACN jobs, but. AETHERFLOW os your best friend.

Try to not be overzealous with Succor or Adloquium, they're MP sinks and don't heal for very much, even if they have a great shield bonus. You'll run out of MP, as you eventually run out of Aetherflows.

Lustrate's LV50. ...It wouldn't be there for AV :

My general SCH rotation is Protect (if no WHM) -> Stoneskin (if not WHM AND before initial pull/bosses/when needed) -> Succor (once) -> Adlo the MT -> Eye for Eye MT

Then physick and Adlo as needed, which a Succor here and there for the party, if needed.

After that, I'm just a slightly weaker DPS

Some one liners from me:

• Macro the pet, it makes a big difference.
  • Know the fight and get the shield in early
  • Understand when you can move and still get the cast off (used to be essential for the wall in AK & Titan)
  • Use the pet aoe heal to effect (you have on macro) and let people heal back from that, don't feel you have to do all the healing... maybe shield them
  • Keep the tank up, DPS should minimise the damage they take
  • Swiftcast + Raise for the DPS that does not make it
  • Energy Drain for mana, especially when Aetherflow will soon be available again

On macros:

• Macro your damage to use &  then you can target boss or tank and dps without switching (note that you need to work out how to see boss casts - maybe focus target?)
  • I use mouse over healing, which is not for everyone (see in your macros).. EoS heals the target if I have one or mouse over .. while I just heal the mouse over .. which can heal two different people at once

There is a lot in some of these lines.. hope it helps

I've been playing a scholar for a bit and while no expert, I'll just put down some things I try to follow (hard to keep track of what everyone said so might be redundant, also just generals rules not accounting for skill limitations in lower level dungeons):

• I use a general rule of thumb not to use Adlo on DPS. The galvanize is usually wasted if you have a good tank that grabs aggro back quickly or if the boss does AE's with long cooldowns. It only lasts 30 seconds and if they don't get hit afterwards, you're pretty much overhealing. Certain fights where I know DPS will be taking DPS damage I'll use as a preshield (but those are very rare and mana light fights).
  • Succor is also one of those skills you want to use sparingly. It's good for preshielding for AE damage (i.e. Titan stomps). If you're going for true mana efficiency, I think it's more efficient to toss out something like 3 individual physicks than to do a succor (don't quote me on this). Of course if you have a lot of AE damage coming and everyone is borderline dead, you'll want to use this. (Also for when you're just lazy too. :) )
  • I believe the threshold to trigger your fairy's heal is 80% automatically. If you micro the pet heal, you can just have it pre-casting during hits and also top people off before that threshold. So for the beginning of the fight, the first few heals will be from my fairy (and you can toss DPS longer too if you like). It can also prevent overheals too if you're tossing single heals to multiple players. I'll sometimes have it heal a DPS while I toss a heal on the tank to top them off. That way we don't cross/over heal.
  • If you're comfortable with the fight, don't store aetherflow stacks. Either use them for lustrates to save a bit of mana or use energy to replenish your pool if there's really no heals needed. I try to glance at my timer occasionally and use 1 aetherflow for when a third of the cooldown passes.

If anyone see anything wrong on my tips, feel free to correct, but that's the rules I follow and it works out pretty well. (Also, there's nothing wrong with using up your mana, sometimes you just have to. Better to finish a fight at 1% than to lose a fight 50% mana to state the obvious).

I highly recommend these macros.

/macroicon Adloquium

/pac Embrace

/ac Adloquium

/macroicon Lustrate

/pac Embrace

/ac Lustrate

/macroicon Leeches

/pac Embrace

/ac Leeches

If you're a mouse-over healer, replace with . 

Basically, by macroing embrace with these skills, you get that extra healing power without having to actually order your pet to do it. Just make sure your pet is in Obey stance.

I'm just going to voice my support for macro'ing the crap out of your fairy. I have pretty much everything I do linked with a fairy ability.

If you haven't gotten Stoneskin or Swiftcast yet, I would definitely get them. Swiftcast is a lot higher on your list of cross-class priorities than Stoneskin (so that you can swiftcast raise folks!), but they're both excellent.

I'm just going to voice my support for macro'ing the crap out of your fairy.  I have pretty much everything I do linked with a fairy ability.

If you haven't gotten Stoneskin or Swiftcast yet, I would definitely get them.  Swiftcast is a lot higher on your list of cross-class priorities than Stoneskin (so that you can swiftcast raise folks!), but they're both excellent.

I've found CNJ to be utterly boring ;; so stoneskin may yet be something that comes..... way later in the future.

I've totally run with your sch once in a roulette. It was fun. Even if the tank wanted to pull the entire first room in bray hm. /stalker /cry

Those macros look awesome and I shall have them replace my current just the vanilla skill when I get home thank you!

So it sounds like I was overhealing the crap out of people to the point where it became a small detriment when I needed to heal them with physick+embrace.

And I should try to have a stack or two to either energy drain or lustrate before I use aetherflow again?

And I should try to have a stack or two to either energy drain or lustrate before I use aetherflow again?

Optimally, you want to run out of stacks of Aetherflow just before you activate it again, but it depends on the fight (in Titan HM or Ultima HM, for instance, sometimes the fight just doesn't work out that way because of unexpected burst damage). I usually try to time my Aetherflow-using abilities so that one is done right after I use it, one's about halfway through the cooldown, and one is near the end of the cooldown, but the most important thing is to be out of stacks right before it comes off cooldown. If that means burning them on Energy Drain right at the end of the cooldown, so be it; you're contributing damage and helping your MP. :)

So... I finally got SCH to 50! last night. (which also means I have SMN but bleh idk)

Anyway. In my last few runs of DD and AV I feel like I had issues keeping the party alive without utterly draining my MP.

Halp?

I'm specifically thinking of the Morbol fights or the bosses who hit really hard or constantly. 2nd boss and 3rd boss in DD. I get less than half of my MP bar in there and I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure as sch I shouldn't get hurt by that so much.

I try to keep galvanize up all the time on everyone. Is that bad?

I have physic+embrace tied and Eos and/or selene on obey so I hit Fey when I think magic attacks are incoming or whispering dawn when it looks like I need party-wide heals that succor won't be good for.

I'd throw sacred soil when gathered but a lot of these fights I had MP issues on people weren't gathered.

also. why can't tanks dodge coincounter? I don't remember having a hard time with him. :c

Let's discuss a few things, shall we?

Things you absolutely need to do your best as a Scholar:

- Protect (from Conjurer)

- Stoneskin (from Conjurer - and yes, I know people are gonna say, "Oh, but the Conjurer version is SO MUCH BETTER why even bother as a Scholar?"  The answer to this is that 10% is better than 0%, and damage never taken is damage you don't have to heal.  So get the Stoneskin and use it, padawan.)

- Swiftcast (from Thaumaturge - you already know why you need this!)

Things you should always be keeping in mind as a Scholar:

- Virus - You ever wanted the tank to stop taking so much damn damage ("OH MY GOD WHY ARE THEY SO SQUISHY") long enough for you to spam heal him up with Eos?  This is the button you were looking for.  It's cheap, effective (works even on magical attacks!) and really easy to use.  MAKE FRIENDS WITH VIRUS TODAY AND TANKS ALL OVER WILL LOVE YOU.

- Eye for an Eye - "But, Liadan," you say, "It's only 10% and only if they actually proc it."  Yes, yes.  Refer to, "10% is better than 0 percent, and damage not taken is damage you don't have to heal."  Also: It sits on the tank for 30 seconds. Unless the boss just isn't hitting the tank, it will always proc at some point (and is awesome for group pulls where everybody gets it!)

- Shadowflare - "But Liadan, that's a DPS spell!"  Uh huh.  Hey, you see that Slow debuff it put on the mobs?  That slows the mobs' swing timer and makes it easier to interrupt casts (since they're slowed down, too).  If the mob is hitting your tank less often, your tank is taking less damage.  Isn't that amazing?

- Fey Covenant - "But Liadan, that's just a silly Eos thing."  Yes!  And it reduces the damage people take from incoming magical attacks.  So stick Eos near the tank (usually on the mob's butt) and use it when you don't have another CD to use.  It DOES work, and can be really effective on things like the Jura Aevis's Strident Scream.  Wait, you're not micromanaging Eos?  Start micromanaging Eos.

- Fey Illumination - Everything going to pot and people's healthbars aren't rising fast enough?  Pop this.  It's really nice for that, and is also nice if someone has a healing debuff you can't dispel.  It isn't a humongous boost, but is useful nonetheless.

- Rouse + Whispering Dawn - Macro these together and use them when you have heavy incoming damage you know will pierce Succor.  This combination is like, 3 Medicas from a White Mage all rolled into a Heal Over Time ball.

- Sacred Soil - Damage reduction + procced free Succor.  It's pretty self-explanatory.  The only thing is to remember that it will replace your Shadowflare, so you'll have to recast it after the Sacred Soil fades.

- Energy Drain - as others have said, use this when you don't think the tank will be taking any heavy incoming damage, your Aetherflow is off CD, you don't want to Bane anyone, you don't need a Sacred Soil anytime soon.

- Aetherflow - use this on CD unless you have Aetherflow stacks to spend or you're full on mana with Aetherflow stacks.

I'm missing a few, but generally speaking, order of priority as a healer is:

- Where am I standing?  Is it in the goo?  If in goo, move.  If not, stay.

- What's my healthbar doing?  Do I need healing or I'll die?  Heal myself.  Make Eos heal tank while healing myself (or, have Eos heal you and you heal the tank, whichever).

- What's the tank's healtbar doing?  If he needs more than a bit of healing, heal him (use Adlo judiciously).  If he needs just a lil healing, use Eos.  If the tank's healthbar is spiking up and down, use a CD - Virus or Eye for an Eye, or even Fey Covenant or Fey Illumination, depending on the situation. If shit's gone crazy, drop Sacred Soil under his feet. Sure, it's just for him, but he still gets the damage reduction! (I do this all the time with Power Word: Barrier while raiding as Disc in WoW.)

- How are the DPS doing?  If they need healing, heal them.  If they're in the goo, tell them to move.

- If anyone else but you is in the goo, ask them to move.  If they don't move, stop healing them.

- Is there some heavy incoming damage coming up?  Prepare - Sacred Soil/Succor/Fey Covenant/Fey Illumination/prep a Rouse + Whispering Dawn (you need to get used to doing this ahead of time, as Eos doesn't always immediately respond) - whichever is appropriate.

You need to be rotating this in your head constantly.  But the most important questions are, in order of importance: 1) How is MY health (you can't heal while dead), 2) How is my TANK'S health (you die if he dies), 3) How are the DPS's health (you need them to kill the boss), 4) Is Eos dead/almost dead (you actually DO need your fairy in high-damage fights.  And you want her CDs!)

I'm going to differ at this point from other people

Do not macro Embrace to Adlo or anything else.  Many times, you will want to heal someone else while also maintaining the tank.  This is what Eos is for.  So you hit your Adlo button, then hit your Embrace Macro for the other person.  What I use is:

/micon "Embrace"

/pac "Embrace"

The "" is mouseover.  In fact, I suggest that you get used to using mouseover macros, because they will make your life so much easier.

For Lustrate:

/micon "Lustrate"

/ac "Lustrate"

For Adlo:

/micon "Adloquium"

/ac "Adloquium"

For Physick:

/micon "Physick"

/ac "Physick"

For Leeches:

/micon "Leeches"

/ac "Leeches"

For Rouse + Whispering Dawn:

/micon "Whispering Dawn"

/ac "Rouse"

/pac "Whispering Dawn"

Eye for an Eye:

/micon "Eye for an Eye"

/ac "Eye for an Eye"

Control is extremely important for a healer, and controlling precisely where Eos is doing her healing is really important for a Scholar.  I feel that Using Eos's abilities separately from my own makes Eos much more useful.

If you have trouble healing yourself with those mouseover macros when you're not in a party, then I suggest you go to Character Configuration --> Mouse -- > "Enable clicking on self."

If I think of anything else, I'll try to post it.

Even if the tank wanted to pull the entire first room in bray hm. /stalker /cry

...what's wrong with that ._.;;

That pull did not end well. xD

I'm usually okay with the first entire room of Bray getting pulled as long as: 1) I get a quick heads up.

2) Tank is actually geared enough to pull the entire first room in Bray.

3) I'm not wearing a bunch of spiritbond gear. (Which is why I like the quick heads up. :V)

I'm usually okay with the first entire room of Bray getting pulled as long as: 1) I get a quick heads up.

3) I'm not wearing a bunch of spiritbond gear. (Which is why I like the quick heads up. :V)

Worst is tanks not geared or skilled enough expecting the healer to sort it all out.

plenty of reasons.

1) they're new to the instance and do not know how to handle the 1,000-tonze swipe, the 10,000-tonze swing or the difference between the two.

2) they weren't paying attention

3) they are slowly but surely in the process of learning that not all attacks come with a handy-dandy ground aoe warning

Even if the tank wanted to pull the entire first room in bray hm. /stalker /cry

...what's wrong with that ._.;;

That pull did not end well. xD

I just remembered it didn't go well the first pull and I was sadface. Poor fairy ;p

@Kell: It's bad when you explain 3 times, before and after wipes how to handle it and that swipe you move just behind him and that on swing you gtfo. It just didn't work. T_T

Scholar is annoying to heal with before lustrate. Don't hesitate to use your aetherflow charges on Energy Drain if you're running low on MP.

You should not be spamming adloquium. It is very, very expensive. I would normally use adloquium only if I wanted to give the tank some more effective HP (it does get spammy in endgame content, but I never had MP problems on scholar in Coil or EX primals).

burst heal, without lustrate, for SCH I found tended to be adloquium > Physik > Adloquium > Physik repeated until I didn't need to do it any more. then resort to physik. also, Adloquium is wasted if you spam it, due to the fact that the bubble doesn't get added to, so if you still have time on the galvanize, and you refresh it to max time, you have essentially wasted some of the effective health gained.