The power of Fantasia potions!

Pumpkinweed

This is just a curious quirk I was thinking about. The Fantasia potion - is it considered lore appropriate and if it is, just what is it possible of doing other than what we already know?

I was thinking about it on a medicinal level. You can use magic to heal wounds, but fixing a broken bone or someone blind (extreme healing in general) would cost a lot of energy and concentration I'd imagine.

Here's the deal: what if Fantasia potions could fix these problems at the risk of it causing alterations?

Say one has a broken arm or is blind, like I said earlier; now you drink a fantasia...

The idea is one must remember themselves a certain way. That is apparently how the potion works... so if someone slept with the idea that they can see again or have a arm that isn't broken... does it mend?

It's just an idea but I love the fantasia concept in terms of role play because one can use glamours to throw people off. There are many forms of deception shown in the game... would fantasia also be considered one?

Opinions people! I'd love to hear them.

On a more serious and less intoxicated note I feel the same way as Kellach. Ultimately nobody can force other people to adhere to their own particular style of role-play but I generally don't consider the use of fantasia potions as something particularly thrilling. It just seems like a bit of a cheap cop out and the novelty would wear off fairly quickly.

I had ICly had a fantasia accident for a few weeks. (ACCIDENT = accidentally turning into a femroe). 

The way I played it out was it worked similar to how glamours or tattoos work. It was just a biological glamour or genetic tattoo that did not change the underlying structure/medical conditions or what not of it, but just project something different overtop.

Interesting opinions! I personally feel fantasia wouldn't just up and be a fixer upper either. To Gus, it's theoretical when it comes to potions and even then he hasn't perfected the fantasia. That being said, is it just a glamour? Because if that is the case, then the male who became a female is still a male.

It's a bit of a controversial topic I suppose. I personally would rather role play a long healing period than being fixed and up and at it again. Gus mentioned in character about the possibility of fantasia mending broken bones when someone's arm was broken during a spar he was watching. The injured character chose not to take Gus's concoction for obvious reasons lol :lol:

Perhaps Square may release more lore on the potion. Until then, it's up in the air!

I regard the Fantasia potion as an OOC player service - The fact that you can't even obtain it from anywhere in the game, but have to go onto a website and pay -real moneys- kind of speaks volumes. I also think justifying it kind of makes race change completely not a big deal which it really should be, there's so many ways beyond your random adventurer that a very drastic appearance change (such as a racechange) can be abused for, I mean you could infiltrate things and con people till the end of their days. That to me is something of such a big magnitude that, if the Fantasia did exist then surely we'd be hearing about it some more via NPC's and the likes. 

Also, I have seen the "My friends accidentally spiked my drink with this and now I am a (insert other race here) forever, very tragic" a bazillion times. No offense to those who went that way, but it just strikes me as a bit silly ._. 

So for what it is, I completely ignore the Fantasia icly. I'm with Aya on the notion that you want to do a race-change, find another loophole that is more interesting to jump through. Or reroll the character - you can namechange by transferring servers, it's expensive but you're already paying for the Fantasia, so.

For me, I think it depends on how it is pulled off. I've seen it done well and done poorly. I agree with others though in that it would be purely cosmetic and likely not actually repair anything. You'd just be a different race with the same injuries.

For me, I think it depends on how it is pulled off.  I've seen it done well and done poorly.  I agree with others though in that it would be purely cosmetic and likely not actually repair anything.  You'd just be a different race with the same injuries.

I agree with this. I know there were some parts in the game where a quest has the player tossing concoctions to wash off an aetheric disguise. Of course this is not a potion. However because it can change the sex and appearance and or race of a host, the idea of a potion that the altars an appearance does not seem too far-fetched.

For me, I think it depends on how it is pulled off.  I've seen it done well and done poorly.  I agree with others though in that it would be purely cosmetic and likely not actually repair anything.  You'd just be a different race with the same injuries.

I agree with this. I know there were some parts in the game where a quest has the player tossing concoctions to wash off an aetheric disguise. Of course this is not a potion. However because it can change the sex and appearance and or race of a host, the idea of a potion that alters an appearance does not seem too far-fetched.

I find that Fantasia potions greatly undermine immersion, and ignore them from an IC perspective.  If someone I know in-character, really wants to RP a race-change I just hope they come up with a better story for it than Fantasia :)

THIS^

I just do not like the use of fantasia ICly. If someone does use it ICly, it is not like I am going to refuse to RP with them; of course I won't refuse to RP with them. But my character will -not- accept the existence of fantasia ICly. To her, it is illusion magic, or if I have to, the character will be regarded as having always been the race/sex they were changed to.

The only time I decided to ICly acknowledge race change was with Kage, and that was easy because he simply told Kiht he woke up in a strange place as a Miqo'te xD

Kiht had her freak-out then it was done. Now when she finally sees that he is back to being a Lalafell, I hope he is prepared for freak-out number 2 :lol:

In other words, I am in agreement that race change through some other crazy means, or mysterious circumstance is much better then someone chugging down a fantasia they bought from a random alchemist. And I am still hesitant to have Kiht accept race change in the future.

I figure that if fantasia is used IC that it is essentially your character's current status but in a different form. For example, my character is blind so if she were to fantasia from roe to lalafell, her lalafell form would be as close to her original roe form as possible. So I figure that my character would still be blind as a lalafell.

But when you have something as crazy as a fantasia option, I guess really anything can happen. I usually don't take them seriously in RP and most other RPers I know don't either

They're usually used for comedic effect because they are kinda silly by nature.

I figure that if fantasia is used IC that it is essentially your character's current status but in a different form. For example, my character is blind so if she were to fantasia from roe to lalafell, her lalafell form would be as close to her original roe form as possible. So I figure that my character would still be blind as a lalafell.

But when you have something as crazy as a fantasia option, I guess really anything can happen. I usually don't take them seriously in RP and most other RPers I know don't either

They're usually used for comedic effect because they are kinda silly by nature.

Pretty much this. Fantasia potions are the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity of FFXIV.

Again, interesting opinions from everyone! What I find curious though is that I know quite a few role players who have used the fantasia potion as a pivotal role in their story. Given all the silly things in the game, I don't see any issue with it but I think that the concoction would be expensive and or rare, as many have said.

Still, it's just a thought. Potions are fun :lol:

Pls halp, I drink things without finding out what they are and now I am cat girl :(

Ryoko has, in a dark and forgotten past, been an actual midlander (as opposed to her current status as a pretend-midlander). However, I would never be inclined to include that as part of her history. On the other hand, I am completely open to anyone RPing a race change, so long as they don't pass it off as something common. I have a lalafell friend who claims he used to be a Roe and doesn't know what happened. That guy's a riot.

Gus, have you been giving people Fantasia potions making them think like it's a pumpkin juice? Because seems like there has been a lot of fantasia incidents.

*****REFUSES TO DRINK BECAUSE ANELIA WILL NEVER BE MAN OR LALAFELL OR ROE OR CAT*****

Spiking on someone's drink is definitely illegal.

Gus, have you been giving people Fantasia potions making them think like it's a pumpkin juice? Because seems like there has been a lot of fantasia incidents.

*****REFUSES TO DRINK BECAUSE ANELIA WILL NEVER BE MAN OR LALAFELL OR ROE OR CAT*****

Spiking on someone's drink is definitely illegal.

No, no, no (though that would be hilarious)! If Gus did that, IC, it would be a form of metagaming since I've not alerted or contacted the player of what Gus is up to. In all sincerity, Gus aims to offer the most delicious foods, desserts and drinks without harming anyone. He's a legitimate, if eccentric, pumpkin dealer. :lol:

If Gus did that, IC, it would be a form of metagaming since I've not alerted or contacted the player of what Gus is up to. In all sincerity, Gus aims to offer the most delicious foods, desserts and drinks without harming anyone. He's a legitimate, if eccentric, pumpkin dealer. :lol:

I honestly would think it'd be fun to do without letting them know what is inside the drink. It's like kind of DnD plot twist where DM decides to do something to screw with your mind.

But not so dubious dealer are we?

If Gus did that, IC, it would be a form of metagaming since I've not alerted or contacted the player of what Gus is up to. In all sincerity, Gus aims to offer the most delicious foods, desserts and drinks without harming anyone. He's a legitimate, if eccentric, pumpkin dealer. :lol:

I honestly would think it'd be fun to do without letting them know what is inside the drink. It's like kind of DnD plot twist where DM decides to do something to screw with your mind.

But not so dubious dealer are we?

Nope, not very dubious. Abrasive perhaps....

Again, even in regards to D&D, people are very fickle about their characters when it comes to roleplaying over an MMO or a format that does not have players communicating with one another in person. As such, doing such a thing would probably upset a player about performing such actions without permission.

It's silly, but it's just common courtesy to ask before forcing a scenario onto someone, even if it's comical. :lol:

I have kind of mixed feelings on this, really. I acknowledge Fantasias ICly as a rare, and very difficult to obtain potion. No one is EXACTLY certain what goes into it, but there are people who attempt to reproduce it to mixed results. Often times, it's those "knock-off" potions that people get their hands on, and the changes usually seem to be temporary (IE: "Someone spiked my drink and now I'm a Lalafell for a week!"). On the other hand, the pure Fantasias might change someone at a base genetic level. I've seen both done to decent results. Lalah's mate actually managed to get his hands on a pure, for a rather subtle shift from Seeker to Keeper. He hasn't advertised that change much, and very few people have noticed; he prefers to keep it that way.

I do think the "Someone spiked my drink!" or "I DRANK POTIONS WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT THEY DO." themes are a bit overdone. Someone's clearly flooding the market with joke knock-offs or something.

That being said, when it comes to injuries and deformations/defects/missing limbs/blindness? I think those things would stay. Don't ask me for my reasoning, because I don't really have any good ones, I just feel like they ought to in most cases. The example given earlier about Lalah's mate shifting to Keeper, he retained his vision impaired eye, as well as all scars.