Something about your character few know...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many to name over all these years, and I feel like one is insufficient. So here's three!

1. Kylin joined a secret society over five years ago prior to the Calamity, and is now its leader (he has the mark/tattoo on his upper right shoulder blade).

2. His birth name was "Castiel." He changed it to Kylin during his rebellion against his father prior to the Calamity and in honor of his deceased mother, who originally wanted him named Kylin anyway.

3. Due to conspiracies against his mother while she was pregnant, Kylin was born with mana/aether poisoning. He must take medication frequently to keep it at bay, and overtaxing himself with magic use can take a heavy toll on him at times.

As the title hints at, something that would seem obvious to you, a trait or bit of knowledge about you're character that few people realize or know. Maybe some secret you've only whispered to those closest. Or something that happened in an early RP with people no longer around. Ro simply something that never comes up.

Volkai doesn't even know it himself, but he was actually born within the Garlean Empire. His parents moved to Ul'Dah before he could walk.

When his parents lost track of him (and somehow became convinced he died) during a trip to Limsa Lominsa, they moved away from Ul'dah, actually left Eorzea entirely and moved back to the city he was born in.

Which is also the city his sister was born in.

They're still alive.

==============

Speaking of Kistala.

She's in Ul'dah now, having left military service in the Empire after the Calamity.

So, yeah, she's from the Empire, too. Only, she actually knows it, since she grew up there.

L'yhta's more or less an open book, but bits and pieces of her tribal past, especially the circumstances surrounding her departure, don't typically come up in RP because she doesn't like to talk about it. The whole affair is still traumatic for her, and only one person knows the whole story IC (though you can read about it on her wiki page).

She also doesn't talk a whole lot about her training with the Wizards' Choir, though that's just really a function of it not coming up in conversation. She has a lot of stories about her lack of finesse in training, including burning beards off and destroying furniture, as well as the quirky behaviors of a group of superannuated mages.

Also, she was an avid user of recreational substances to "expand her mind," though as her Very Good Friend disapproves of such, she's curtailed her usage considerably (and whines about it to other people, but she is rather immature).

There's probably a lot of little secrets that only one or two people (and often not the same one or two) know about Eva.  I suppose I can give up a few of these:

1. Her born name was not Eva.  She changed it herself for two very specific reasons.

2. She was obese for most of her teenage years and the first half of her twenties.

3. For the few months after her father's passing and before the Calamity, she possessed tremendous wealth as the result of an inheritance.  This was lost before she could figure out how to spend much of it.

4. She's skilled in sleight-of-hand and the use of daggers but makes no public mention of such and only performs simple parlor tricks for amusement (and will not be a ninja ICly).

5. She does not understand how she's able to manipulate aether but simply accepts it - the more she tries to rationalize/understand, the less potent her ability.  Apart from healing, she is only able to control water, though she has touched wind in the past under certain conditions.

6. She lost a son during childbirth when she was in her late twenties which supposedly left her barren.  That she got pregnant and gave birth to twins more recently is something she looks upon as a miracle and blessing from Nophica.

7. After losing a dear friend several years ago she has had a difficult time forming solid friendships.  She tends to think she is more respected than liked, and that others keep a certain respectful distance from her.  She yearns for the days she had a 'bestie' who could break through those barriers and wonders if she ever will have that kind of friendship with anyone again.

8. Due to her cultural upbringing, she has a derisive outlook of people who proclaim to be family where there is no blood or matrimonial ties - e.g. close friends calling themselves brothers or sisters.  She views it as a slight to actual family, but seldom expresses any negative thoughts about it.

9. She is slow to fall in love, but in those times when she does she becomes fiercely protective, a bit possessive, and unwavering in her devotion to that individual.

10. She borders on being obsessive-compulsive about cleanliness and tidiness, more pertaining to placement of objects in a room but also with some regard to personal hygeine.

11. She is an avid swimmer and will often swim early in the spring and late in the autumn when the water is too chilly - which she says doesn't bother her.  As a result she often catches a cold during these times of the year.  She also will only swim alone in private [or with a lover].  In part because of past meaning, and in part because of her own physical insecurities, she views it as a very personal and spiritual thing and not as a recreational activity - though she does not begrudge others who swim in public. It is just something sacred for her.

12. She's probably addicted to tea, chocolate, and white wine.

I'm still one of the new faces in town, so to speak, but these threads are always fun for development.

Nathan isn't really a private person, but there are two things, and really only two, that can short-circuit his jovial and unserious nature with a quickness.

He has buried a deep seated conflict that was created on the day he simply left his mother behind, with no warning and never sending her any kind of message, to tend the flock of sheep that he came to hate, and with which he associates repression and loneliness. In fact, there is as much to his outgoing nature in keeping this buried as there is in his natural personality. Attempting to push him too hard about his parentage and what happened to them will result in a very disgruntled bard, though he has had a decent amount of practice in steering away the conversation.

However, anyone who damages his custom-made lute, or attempts to steal it, will see something else entirely, since he sees the instrument as his personal talisman, the source of all his livelihood and identity. Damaging it, even accidentally, will quite quickly trigger the temper in him that exists in no other situation than this. Someone who breaks or steals the instrument will unwittingly have a huge Highlander, skilled with both bow and brawling, as a permanent enemy, one who will have absolutely nothing else to live for but revenge.

(As a player note, I make no apologies for the repercussions to anyone who tries to invoke this just because they read this OOC entry! *grins wickedly*)

Dogberry's secrets are dwindling as time goes by. Some aspects of his past he never wanted to talk about, so he just never did. Lately, he's opened up about them as he comes to terms with his past. It's actually a really rewarding process to play a character in the middle of a healing process like this. At this point, all of his skeletons are pretty much out of the closet.

Iskierka's biggest secret is that nobody knows ICly what happened that made her wear a mask. She's admitted to a few that it is because her face is horribly disfigured, but the only explanation she's given for the nature of her disfigurement has been that "she is as her father made her." In truth, her voidsent obsessed father noticed her aptitude for magic and snapped, carving arcane patterns into her face. He said it would help her.

This seems fun! I'll post 5 things!

1) Xydane doesn't always act like the "badass he thinks he is" 24/7. In fact, a handful of people have seen him is his comical carefree side. These people are:

- Jajara Jara (Barfights!)

- Clover Blake (Xydane gets weird feelings in his stomach.)

- Orpheus Arkouda (See that guy? Let's go hurt that guy.)

- Rinette Molkoh (More barfights!)

- Kiht Jakkya (Best person to act bipolar as hell in front of.)

- Osric Melkire (Second best person to act even more bipolar in front of.)

- Kyraeth Vale (We haz the same last name!)

- Crisiet Liautroix (Best Elezen to piss off and mindf**k at the same time! Come at me, bro!)

- Enju Abbagliato (Yep, I'm just sleeping underneath this tree. You can take my sword if you want, lolz.)

- Haruko Kokojo (You see that heavily guarded Ishgardian City? Let's go storm that city.)

- Aya Foxheart (Oh, I'm not a killer in a cloak. Don't mind me, I'm just a Super Moogle. I deliver... stuff... for the Moogles.)

- Jancis Milburga (Makes Xydane feel bad when she takes care of him.)

2. Xydane's past lover shares the same resemblance as Clover Blake!

3. Xydane's father, Kraven Vale, served under the Maelstrom a long time ago.

4. Though Kraven served under the Maelstrom, Kraven's family actually lived extremely far away in an undisclosed part in Eorzea.

5. Xydane and his brother Marcus are not Ishgardian born.

I'm one of the newer faces here, but i figured this might be fun to do.  I'll focus on my main Jethas for this, seeing as not a lot of people have met him yet.

1.  Jethas is overly curious, and is always up for learning new things.  This can sometimes get him in trouble.  Things he presently has some knowledge of are:

Using a Lance (very basic skills)

Using a Bow (again, very basic)

Using a sword and shiled (Basic stuff, he's no pro)

Fighting with his fists (a skill he began learning from his previous mate and her family so that if something got past his magic, he'd have a way to defend himself)

Healing Magic (again very basic.  He can close more serious wounds and set broken bones, but that's really about it.)

2. Jethas passionately hates Amal'jaa.  It was because of them that his previous mate died after they were attacked.

3.  Jethas likes offering advice, but if someone brushes off his advice, he starts developing a dislike of that person, and ten to one gets rather pissed/insulted.

4.  Despite his always trying to act strong and confident, inwardly Jethas has a lot of doubt in himself and his abilities.

5. Jethas can be very stubborn and rash, often times getting himself into trouble that could have been avoided.  He also tries to do things himself instead of risking endangering those he cares about.  This tends to get him in trouble.

Berrod was once healed by a conjurer who used a bit too much of his own life force to get the job done, instead of borrowing from nature. The Conjurer died a few weeks later and Berrod has kept a pressed leaf in remembrance since then. He'll likely never mention it to anyone as long as he lives.

This is coming up more and more often lately, but Jana's very vindictive. Her overall driving goal has always been payback for something or other, even if the exact target shifts from time to time. It's also why I RP her as having only the Titan-Egi (at this time): Titan's reason for attacking in the story is vengeance against the "sons of man" driving the Kobolds out of territory that is rightfully theirs, much how Jana feels about the Garleans setting up shop in Castrum Oriens.

hmm lets see.

lucan shies away from displaying "true" emotions, because he dreads the lack of control they create. He hates being at the mercy of his own emotions.

lucan used to ve quite the dandy, enjoying the good things in life and with a penchant for meticously organizing pleasant days.

lucaniels name is a pseudonym and homage to his mother, an eorzean migrant by the name of clarke. His original name is lucan iel sidiatoris.

while he fashions himself a "bad person" he makes it a point to leave the truly innocent alone. A sort of mentality where he only harms those willing to raise the proverbial gun themselves.

I've listed Lili before but figured I'd do some of my alts.

Sarameda (Lili's youngest and most fragile child) actually prefers the look of women over men and yet she's drawn to the stronger, masculine nature most men exude. She's never even dated and is petrified of touch but she has daydreamed about finding a very pretty boy who knows how to brawl.

Deisarameda (Lili's oldest daughter) actually enjoys when someone calls her a bitch. She finds it to be a compliment since she tries very hard to keep people away from herself due to the illness her and Sara were born with. They were also not sired by Lili's late husband, Ghislan. Only Khavan is Ghislan's biological child.

Khavan (Lili's oldest) actually dislikes most women as a general whole. Not because he's antifeminist or anything, but because he doesn't like the whiny, airheaded, or bitchy tendencies he has observed with many of the opposite sex. It's to the point where it's hard for him to be friends with many women outside of his immediate family simply because if he witnesses this kind of behavior he tends to call them out on it which leads them to dislike him.

Vadina (my Elezen) has a lot of bobby pins in her hair. Each of them serve a specific purpose and each can be used to pick a different kind of lock.

Only a few people really know how very, very self conscious Crisiet is when it comes to his physical appearance. He keeps himself covered up, due to a mass of scars and burns acquired over several battles against the Dravanian horde. He's terrified of exposing them. It's why you wont catch him on the beach or at the hot springs in a bathing suit. 

He's afraid of the dark and tends to keep a lamp or three burning through the night. 

He rants to his plants and chocobo when alone. They're the best listeners.

I've 'only' been playing Anstarra a year and change, but it's been a very solid year, with many hours spent RPing almost every single day, so there's been time for stuff to happen. Let's see, secrets...

1~ Anstarra isn't her real name. If anyone spoke her real, birth name, except the one she told it to, she would kill them.

2~ Her sept of miqo'te is a vicious, murderous and reclusive village hidden in the middle of nowhere; they all have abnormal, super-dense muscles, though she has no idea why (think Loup, in Jacqueline Carey's Santa Olivia books).

3~ An is quite mutable, aetherially; she responds well, and bounces back from, any kind of aetherial manipulation. This has caused her height, skin tone and eye color to change significantly, twice in the past year. Other times it's just made for cosmetic changes, like when her hair turned purple because she was hit by lightning.

4~ She has a bizarre, otherworldly book with a face on it. It makes people uncomfortable. It also tells her your secrets, if you're OOCly alright with it (I will never abuse this, but if you're looking for a plot hook involving something you wish others could know but can't tell them ICly...).

5~ Once, she was insanely in love. Most people know this. What's not known is how far she's fallen since it ended. She intends to murder Menphina...

This is coming up more and more often lately, but Jana's very vindictive. Her overall driving goal has always been payback for something or other, even if the exact target shifts from time to time. It's also why I RP her as having only the Titan-Egi (at this time): Titan's reason for attacking in the story is vengeance against the "sons of man" driving the Kobolds out of territory that is rightfully theirs, much how Jana feels about the Garleans setting up shop in Castrum Oriens.

Jancis found that out the hard way.

Oscare's locked himself in a mental and emotional prison. When he's in a very, very unstable and mad mood -- he becomes very murderous. During his time in the Imperial army, he picked up the title 'A Monster Without a Name', and was known as just 'Nameless Iono' for a while. A certain event in the Imperial army not only got him discharged dishonorably from the military, but he remarked "I sold my soul, now I will carry a vendetta against humanity."

He regained social interaction ability, which got him labeled as a sociopath because he has not been released from his prison and has no where near forgotten his vendetta.