Would Eorzeans ever actually use horses IC?

Marisa

War horses in Eorzea?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. War horses in Eorzea?

• Nope! Not in MY Eorzea!
    • Yeah! Horses!

Obviously horses are a very rare import, but I'm wondering, now that the public has been a bit warmed up to the idea by Heavensturn, would private organizations or even the Grand Companies ever entertain the thought of using horses in war, as far as IC? I mean the 100 FL wins awards a horse, but I wasn't certain if that was canon or not. 

I can certainly see why one would opt for a horse over a horse-bird (and not just because I upgraded my unicorn to a Sleipnir this morning). Though not as maneuverable as a chocobo, a horse would presumably be faster and more stable (as far as tripping or getting knocked over)  but at the same time, I'm not sure Eorzeans are open-minded enough to appreciate the strengths of a horse as a war animal. 

Thoughts?

I don't see why it couldn't be viable. I mean where chocobo's are far more common and quite agile, there are plenty of other options for Eorzeans in the end. Give them a chance to get a feel for the beasts and I'm sure some important people could be really taken by their power.

So where chocobo's are easy, in great numbers and still the most common, the horses could easily be trained for war, possibly in smaller numbers, or maybe as something officers obtain since they're not nearly as common as the chocobo and are a lot more sturdy and powerful than them, so could be seen as status too. *shrugs*

I certainly could imagine a handful of possibilities :)

I don't see why it couldn't be viable. I mean where chocobo's are far more common and quite agile, there are plenty of other options for Eorzeans in the end. Give them a chance to get a feel for the beasts and I'm sure some important people could be really taken by their power.

So where chocobo's are easy, in great numbers and still the most common, the horses could easily be trained for war, possibly in smaller numbers, or maybe as something officers obtain since they're not nearly as common as the chocobo and are a lot more sturdy and powerful than them, so could be seen as status too. *shrugs*

I certainly could imagine a handful of possibilities :)

For that matter, I wonder if any nation has ever actually attempted to domesticate coeurls for riding?

If wild animals can be domesticated in rl, I don't see why it isn't completely unheard of that someone has tried to domesticate them either. It obviously won't be easy (cats be bitches yo) but find a method and people will try anything once hahaha

they'll probably never become as mainstream as chocobo's or even horses for that matter, just for the pure fact I imagine their nature makes most people uneasy for everyday or normal use. But that's just a random thought, especially since you take into account they're not regular big cats but kinda like... lizard... cat things? xD

Aren't chocobos strictly regulated by Ishgard, though? Like...regulated to the point where they keep the females and you can't even breed them outside of the nation? If that's the case, I can see horses catching on simply as a way around the monopoly held on the birds, honestly.

In terms of suitability, there's a reason why the horse carried human civilization, and not the Ostrich.

I'm still curious as to whether Chocobos have hollow bones at all.

Well of course horses are obviously the superior choice, but we're also viewing that from our own cultural perspective. Real-world humans also tend to take the stance that technology makes everything better, while the Eorzeans have very mixed feelings about it. 

They're a good-spirited people, but not an open-minded people.

Aren't chocobos strictly regulated by Ishgard, though? Like...regulated to the point where they keep the females and you can't even breed them outside of the nation? If that's the case, I can see horses catching on simply as a way around the monopoly held on the birds, honestly.

That's a very valid point, though.

I think it really comes down to a social/cultural thing. They obviously aren't a necessity and imagine the situation in reverse. If some new, weird two legged beast of burden was introduced to you and you'd developed a reliance on horses you'd probably be like "Ew, get that weird bird-thing out of here my horse is just fine."

That's how I imagine Eorzeans feeling about horses. There would have to be some sort of situation where the animals are needed as more than a novelty to really develop a demand. I can see them being used as less glamorous and "hidden" beasts of burden akin to mules and donkeys perhaps. "I couldn't afford a chocobo so..."

After witnessing dazzling demonstrations of how a warsteed might turn the tide of battle, the Grand Companies of Eorzea emptied their coffers at the feet of the Far Eastern uma bugyo, each seeking to put themselves at an advantage during Frontline campaigns.

Hoof to neigh, Eorzea knows not the horse for one reason: the horsebird. - Uma Bugyo

Did they ever establish where the horses in Eorzea come from? Are they bred in Eorzea? Imported from elsewhere? There's a lot of gaps to fill.

Horses are native to the Doman area I believe. Bunch of kids in the main story arc were commenting on how strange the chocobos were and how different from horses they are.

As far as importing...they could barely get people over here so....maybe 2 horses tops. >_>;

Except that there is at least one female Chocobo at Bentbranch, and another that was bred and produced an egg (and died, apparently). So at least one stable is breeding them.

well, I imagine it might be a might bit thicker anyway, considering the incredibly powerful legs and the incapability for the common chocobo to fly. so having hollow bones wouldn't really benefit them in this phase of their breeding/evolution. that's just a personal theory though.

good food for thought hahaha

well, I imagine it might be a might bit thicker anyway, considering the incredibly powerful legs and the incapability for the common chocobo to fly. so having hollow bones wouldn't really benefit them in this phase of their breeding/evolution. that's just a personal theory though.

good food for thought hahaha

:D

Obviously horses are a very rare import, but I'm wondering, now that the public has been a bit warmed up to the idea by Heavensturn, would private organizations or even the Grand Companies ever entertain the thought of using horses in war, as far as IC? I mean the 100 FL wins awards a horse, but I wasn't certain if that was canon or not. 

Think Seriphyn beat me to it, but the Mount text of that GC Warhorse that is awarded for frontlines achievement actually holds the answers to your query:

"Warsteed

After witnessing dazzling demonstrations of how a warsteed might turn the tide of battle, the Grand Companies of Eorzea emptied their coffers at the feet of the Far Eastern uma bugyo, each seeking to put themselves at an advantage during Frontline campaigns."

Also, Shii beat me to the Coeurl tag. But yes, Ul'dah used to tame coeurls, but the practice has greatly diminished.

"Coeurl

Native to the jungles of the Near East, coeurls were only recently introduced to Eorzea, brought over from faraway lands such as Thavnair by Ul'dahn nobles who thought to breed them as pets. Now, but a handful of skilled tamers living in recluse on the Pearl are said to be able to train them."

Did they ever establish where the horses in Eorzea come from? Are they bred in Eorzea? Imported from elsewhere? There's a lot of gaps to fill.

Horses are Far Eastern (Othardian) and do not seem to be bred at all yet here in Eorzea. Based on the GC Warsteed text, it appears that what horses we have currently in Eorzea have all been bought and imported from the Far East. So likely only bred there.

Yes, they are quite strictly regulated by Ishgard. So much so that only male chocobos are lent out to the Eorzean Alliance. However, Liadan is right in that we do see a female chocobo in the Moogle's Gift Mounts stables at Bentbranch. BUT, the reason for this is actually addressed in the Gridanian MSQ "Leia's Legacy" in which you find out that Luquelot (the stablemaster) is actually an Ishgardian Chocobo breeder, not Gridanian. Also, said egg in the quest was from an Ishgardian noble steed named Leia. When Luquelot left Ishgard, he brought his chocobo breeding with him.

I think that about covers it. Hope this helped! ^^ Even though I'm late and half the questions were already answered lol. Anyways, I'll leave you all with this fun tidbit:

"Company Chocobo

Born and bred in the city-state of Ishgard, the majority of company chocobos are geldings of the rouncey variety; however, massive destriers and miniature Belah'dian jennets are also raised to accommodate the builds of Roegadyn and Lalafell riders respectively."

To be honest I think the last year's New Year event was a good way to welcome horses in the Eorzean lore. 

However, seen the different design of horse heads on the kabutos may imply that the horses we currently have (warsteeds, elemental horses, unicorns) actually belong to a different subspecies. It's just a speculation. And personally I still wish to get a normal-structured horse.

I'm a horse trainer IRL and I won't deny, I've wanted horses in FF games forever. I think that until normal horses are actually offered as a mount, my character/s will use Sleipnir and pretend it's a Far Eastern horse although I still weep that it doesn't have reins.

Warsteeds have reins but yeah.. horrible bone structure, and way too much of a hassle to get (I'm still at only 1 Frontlines wins <_<; ).

I would ride a horse if Highlander women had the same side-saddle animation as midlanders.

Otherwise, most mounts in this game are butt-ugly, including the horses. They look like bloated walking muscles. If I wanted that I may as well ride around on this guy.

muscle.jpg

LotRO had the best looking horses.

I would ride a horse if Highlander women had the same side-saddle animation as midlanders.

Otherwise, most mounts in this game are butt-ugly, including the horses.  They look like bloated walking muscles.  If I wanted that I may as well ride around on this guy.

muscle.jpg

I feel like I should be offended by this

Otherwise, most mounts in this game are butt-ugly, including the horses.  They look like bloated walking muscles.  If I wanted that I may as well ride around on this guy.

muscle.jpg

Did we just get swole shamed

[sOBBING INTENSFIES]

Seriously though. In FFXIV lore, horses are actually as rare as unicorns, and unicorns are as common as horses. I mean, I guess Eorzeans could use horses if they're clever enough in writing!

I could be mistaken, but I'm remembering something from the New Year's event where it was said that horses were utterly forbidden in the Twelveswood. Like... expect instant Greenwrath if you bring a horse in, the context seemed that strong. Whether or not it would actually happen or if it was a long-running rumor the chocobo breeders propagate to keep their monopoly is open for debate.

I could be wrong on remembering that, though, and I dunno if event stuff is always considered canon.

I can say that Yvelont won't. And it's not just for lore/story reasons, though that is reason enough, Goliath having been with him since his youth in Ishgard. In all of the other games, chocobos are depicted as being perfectly capable mounts, sturdy enough to bear fully armored cavalrymen into battle. They're even trained to fight alongside their riders - pecking, biting, kicking.. even healing. With that in mind, without a RL point of reference (because chocobos ain't ostriches) it's difficult to say what a horse could offer that a chocobo doesn't. More than that, chocobos are a staple of the series, and I think I would lose a lot of the "feel" of this being a Final Fantasy game if I regularly used some other mount. That's just me, though.

Horses are Far Eastern (Othardian) and do not seem to be bred at all yet here in Eorzea. Based on the GC Warsteed text, it appears that what horses we have currently in Eorzea have all been bought and imported from the Far East. So likely only bred there.

Some horses did exist in Eorzea prior to the calamity, and to what extent Eorzea traded with Othard was entirely unknown at that point. We did trade with Garlemald and Meracydia, however, so it isn't out of the question. I do remember there being a few leves where merchants were mentioned as having returned from the far east, but it's almost always referred to in a negative manner (I.E eastern savages, etc). Regardless, farmers on La Noscea employed the use of draft horses. There was a guildleve that mentioned it. Turns out gigantoads will eat a draft horse if given the opportunity.

I use the Flames horse IC. I just play it off as Titor got a reward from the Flames for sticking around and doing a general good job, so it is kind of like a benefit. No one has ever had issue with it.

Also you missed the chance to put "Neigh!" For no and use the pun.