Patch 2.41 Notes

Kage

First up, holy shit the nerfs to second coil. O.o

Patch 2.41 will introduce the first phase of the Echo to the Second Coil of Bahamut, as well as address several known issues.

Playable Content

Level 30 job quest requirements have been adjusted as follows:

Before: Players must reach level 30 with the job’s associated class.

After: Players must reach level 30 with the job’s associated class, and have completed the main scenario quest "Sylph-management."

The colors of the assorted fruit furnishing have been adjusted to better compliment other furnishings.

Battle System

The Second Coil of Bahamut has been adjusted as follows: Players can now queue for the Binding Coil of Bahamut solo via the Duty Finder.

Furthermore, players must now meet the following item level requirements:

Duty Prerequisite

Second Coil of Bahamut – Turn 1 Average item level 90

Second Coil of Bahamut – Turn 2 Average item level 95

Second Coil of Bahamut – Turn 3 Average item level 100

Second Coil of Bahamut – Turn 4 Average item level 105

Mechanics within the Second Coil of Bahamut have been adjusted as follows:

Second Coil of Bahamut – Turn 1

Damage dealt by the attack Blighted Bouquet has been reduced.

Damage dealt by the attack Sharp Sting used by dark matter hornets has been reduced.

Dark matter hornets will no longer continue to spawn after phase transitions, even when players are afflicted by the Honey-glazed status effect.

Damage dealt by the attack Acid Spray used by acidic honey has been reduced. Furthermore, players will no longer receive a damage vulnerability debuff.

Second Coil of Bahamut – Turn 2

The attack power and evasion of Renauld has been reduced.

The Stone Curse status effect inflicted by Cursed Voice and Cursed Shriek has been changed to Petrification, which now lasts only 10 seconds. Furthermore, petrified players will no longer be immediately incapacitated upon taking damage.

When afflicted with Cursed Voice or Cursed Shriek, Renauld will now be petrified for 60 seconds.

Damage dealt by the ground attack Discipline has been reduced.

Second Coil of Bahamut – Turn 3

The enhancing effect granted to the Avatar when multiple support modules are charged in unison has been reduced.

Damage received from the Languishing effect when operating the support modules has been reduced.

Damage dealt by the attack Landmine Auto-detonation has been reduced.

Players will now receive the power of the Echo

The Echo will take effect upon entering the Second Coil of Bahamut, increasing players’ maximum HP, damage dealt, and healing potency by 10%.

•Unlike other instances, the strength of the Echo will not increase in the event all party members are incapacitated.

•The strength of the Echo is scheduled to be increased at a later date based on player progression in the Second Coil of Bahamut.

•The adjustments listed above will not be applied to the Second Coil of Bahamut (Savage).

The icons of certain rogue and ninja actions have been adjusted to improve visibility.

Resolved Issues

The following issues have been addressed.

An issue wherein the FATEs "Ho Ho Ho" and "Say My Name" could not be completed under certain conditions.

An issue during the first boss battle in Snowcloak wherein the Frozen debuff would apply even when taking preventative measures during the action Snow Drift.

An issue in the dungeon The Sunken Temple of Qarn (Hard) wherein the stones required to solve the magicked trap would occasionally spawn in an inaccessible location.

An issue in the dungeon The Sunken Temple of Qarn (Hard) wherein a character under the effect of Mummification continued to suffer loss of action and movement control even after the Mummification status ended.

An issue in the raid dungeon The Final Coil of Bahamut - Turn 2 wherein the ADS could not be attacked under certain conditions.

An issue in the raid dungeon The Final Coil of Bahamut - Turn 3 wherein the action Whitefire did not deal damage under certain conditions.

An issue wherein certain ROG/NIN primal weapons could not be delivered for Expert Delivery missions. * These items can now be sold as well.

An issue wherein the weapons and shield from The Binding Coil of Bahamut could not be delivered for Expert Delivery missions. * These items can now be sold as well.

An issue wherein desynthesizing ROG/NIN weapons would yield materials that were not part of their recipe.

An issue wherein the item icon for Heart Snatchers did not match its actual appearance.

An issue wherein the item icon for Canopus Stilettos did not match their actual appearance.

An issue wherein the following item icons did not match their actual appearance: Gridanian Stilettos / Lominsan Stilettos / Ul’dahn Stilettos

An issue wherein players could not repurchase Lunar Summer Tanga or Pristine Egg Cap from the Calamity Salvager NPCs, even if they met all the requirements for doing so.

An issue wherein free companies and linkshells were not automatically deleted when deleting characters in a specific order.

An issue wherein houses in residential district subdivisions would not appear under certain conditions.

An issue wherein the dungeon icon for Snowcloak was not appearing on the map.

An issue wherein the bonuses granted by the furnishing item Afternoon Tea Set were incorrect.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like I can finally attempt second coil!

Now....if I can just find people to help me learn the first coil as a tank...:frustrated:

Not likely, considering the chat I've seen.  And that attitude started about three or four months after 2.1.  It ain't going anywhere.

I did not expect the level of nerfing they did to second coil. Granted, binding coil of bahamut barely had any mechanics like the ones in second coil. It's like the fights had their knees broken.

... except for T9. NAEL GDI T_T;

... Anyone willing to help me farm t7 for that healer body? >.>;

Also, all the waaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Edit: It's sorta funny. The ilvl requirements for T9 is biiig. lol Our WHM only had i106 last Saturday. lolz

Looks like I can finally attempt second coil!

Now....if I can just find people to help me learn the first coil as a tank...:frustrated:

Not likely, considering the chat I've seen.  And that attitude started about three or four months after 2.1.  It ain't going anywhere.

Tanking Coil 1 isn't particularly involved. Don't overthink it, is all.

Turn 1's only difficulty is the timely grabbing and moving of the split. It's always at 65(?)% and now that we can see enemy health it's simple to prepare for. The moving tank readies a combo'd finisher prior to 65, then targets the new split, hits it and runs across the floor.

Turn 2 can probably be tanked by a DPS at this point.

Turn 3? There's nothing to tank in turn 3.

Turn 4 used to be challenging, placement-wise. From my understandings you just grab everything at once and AoE it down while facing Dreadnaughts away from the party. Disclosure: I've never cleared T4.

Turn 5 has a lot of specific places to move Twintania to, but you only learn them through practice. This is the write-up I used to get familiar with it before jumping in. True facts: You're going to mess up and kill everyone a couple of times. That's part of the process.

Tanking Turn 1 is simple, it's more forcing the off-tank to know how to pick up adds more than anything for Cad. For ADS, know when to use the silence moves. Get ready when ADS does the long line aoe. If not, lol healers can heal that buff off now. At i90 the fight is... well cake. Knowhow of cooldowns may be very appreciated by the healers for Cad's high crits. Saving big CDs for later in its %. I haven't been in T1 for awhile but I also assume that the fight doesn't much care about the splits/re-merges anymore.

T2 - Enrage is slower but it completely nullifies the hard parts to it. Just know when to silence the nodes. (iirc it's the circle/melee aoe it does). There's practically no tanking involved in enrage. Just know which click to run in and pull for.

T3 - You... could tank it? Completely skippable turn. Just run, maybe you can grab aggro off the people running through but... it's just like a trash mob in dungeons if you need to do it. The only thing you need? to learn is how to work the pads. Stepping on the directional arrow will change where the pad launches you. (You "need" to know this if running T8).

T4 - I haven't tanked this since I got into 1 static and just barely had the gear to even take it pre-echos and nerfs. But basically, you just need to know how to pick up "adds" or bosses and rotate your cooldowns, not blow them to bits.

T5 - The worst thing ever. I'm not good with positional big maps and knowing where to specifically place things so I never touched this to tank ever again after the first attempt. But it'll take practice if you are the main tank or single tanking this to be able to place Twintania closer to where people want to be. Aka where you want the neurolinks to be and close to the zone where people will deal with the divebombs. After that you move Twintania to the middle of the arena for her to place her final neurolin and just hope liquid hell does not hit you. Pop Hallowed or Holmgang if so?

If you are off-tank (*cough*PLD), prepare to stun Dread asap. If you have melee, talk with them about where they will go during Twisters if you don't know them so you don't kill each other.

Why no Shiva Ex DF option :(

Run a few DF learning, then into a clear party. No, and all parties are now Veteran that I see.

If available, I am willing to run with RPCers on Shiva. She's really simple once you run her for a bit, learning the fight.

It's amusing just how much whiners there are about the patch and nerfs, especially the nerfs. Would you like cheese with that? I want to ask them. I'd keep the cheese though. Cheese is tasty.

BOOHOO SCOB IS NERFED TO HELL AND BACK WAHHHH. -_- Go do FCOB already or Savage kthx.

I had a write up Nebbs on the shiva ex fight but then I accidentally closed the tab -_-;

But if you can gather people to run it and need a BLM I'd be happy to help!

Why no Shiva Ex DF option :(

Run a few DF learning, then into a clear party. No, and all parties are now Veteran that I see.

If available, I am willing to run with RPCers on Shiva. She's really simple once you run her for a bit, learning the fight.

So I am told, thanks I will keep that in mind. *hugs*

It's amusing just how much whiners there are about the patch and nerfs. Would you like cheese with that? I want to ask them.

I'd keep the cheese though. Cheese is tasty.

I had a write up Nebbs on the shiva ex fight but then I accidentally closed the tab -_-;

But if you can gather people to run it and need a BLM I'd be happy to help!

There's a degree of merit to some of the complaints. Some of the "hard" mechanics in Coil1 got changed on top of the echo (actually, I can only think of HV paralyze being cleansable as the only change) and you could click off the echo buff to do the fights the "right" way after the nerf.

Second Coil got broken. Clicking off Echo doesn't restore the original "challenge" like it did in Coil1, so for anyone who wanted to get around to fighting the "real" Coil has missed that chance 5ever. No, Savage doesn't really count.

This is what happens when your mechanics boil down to "do this perfect or die." There's no real way to "fix" the fight later to tone it down without overcompensating. I can only imagine what'll happen to Coil3, if anything does happen to Coil3, when Heavensward lands.

There's a degree of merit to some of the complaints. Some of the "hard" mechanics in Coil1 got changed on top of the echo (actually, I can only think of HV paralyze being cleansable as the only change) and you could click off the echo buff to do the fights the "right" way after the nerf.

Second Coil got broken. Clicking off Echo doesn't restore the original "challenge" like it did in Coil1, so for anyone who wanted to get around to fighting the "real" Coil has missed that chance 5ever. No, Savage doesn't really count.

This is what happens when your mechanics boil down to "do this perfect or die." There's no real way to "fix" the fight later to tone it down without overcompensating. I can only imagine what'll happen to Coil3, if anything does happen to Coil3, when Heavensward lands.

I think the biggest problem is how devastating these mechanics could be when not done well. SCOB was -all- about mechanics and them dealing a blow to your party. BCOB did not have the same issues. Hell, trying to PUG T7 in PF for farming runs has been an utter disaster for me. I could only count on my static.

The fact is though, Coil is a main part of the story. SCOB is old content. If these nerfs were done to FCOB I'd be upset but with SCOB being old content, I feel like it's just getting people up to speed on the story they have been missing out on.

So I can df second coil? Is that what I'm reading?

Yes, as long as you have met the requirements to do so. ilvl as well as the requirement of completing T5 and the quests to open up SCOB.

The fact is though, Coil is a main part of the story. SCOB is old content. If these nerfs were done to FCOB I'd be upset but with SCOB being old content, I feel like it's just getting people up to speed on the story they have been missing out on.

I feel if this was SE's intent, they would have adjusted T9 beyond just providing Echo. Similar to T5, you can be kitted out in full i130 gear and still die if you don't know how to dance. All these nerfs did was potentially make people think they meet the terms to clear T9 because they did 6-8 and are i105.

I freely admit I'm painting with a broad, pessimistic brush here, however.

It's amusing just how much whiners there are about the patch and nerfs, especially the nerfs. Would you like cheese with that? I want to ask them. I'd keep the cheese though. Cheese is tasty.

BOOHOO SCOB IS NERFED TO HELL AND BACK WAHHHH. -_- Go do FCOB already or Savage kthx.

I am ALSO having a slow brain day and had misread your comment about asking for learning groups as the recipient of the "waaah"

Hey, does the egg on my face look good? Just askin'. ><;

I've had SCoB on farm for a while now with my static, and I completely agree with each and every nerf. Particularly T7. This content is seven months old and according to SE only a little over 10% of players have cleared T9. That's a lot of players not caught up and not seeing FCoB.

I've had debates with other raiders for months now about how SCoB has way, way too many instant kill mechanics, and now we're seeing why it's a bad idea to rely on them so heavily. The only way to reduce the difficulty is to drastically change how the fight works.

That falls right into the MMO raid dilemma though. You want to keep it challenging enough so that there's still a challenge for overgeared players (so straight up DPS checks/EH checks are out of the question), and yet too many instant kill mechanics require perfect placement in a genre where perfect precision is a crap shoot due to latency and a myriad of other problems falling outside the direct control of the player.

I don't think any game has ever found a decent enough balance about it, too.

I think SE is looking at T5 and T9 still as their gates which nullifies any comment I feel that raiders have about "bads" being/having gotten into SCOB/FCOB.

I'd like to finally finish T9 @_@;

Ok I decided to write it up again xD Our healers (both) had not been into the fight until the instance we cleared it which was the Saturday or 2nd Saturday after 2.4 drop. Myself and another had not cleared while the one in our static who had been farming it taught us.

The default position of the fight is Shiva in the middle ish, all but MT stacked behind her.

Shiva has three forms. Two of them you've seen in Hard Mode (Sword and Staff). In the first phase she'll do the same thing with these forms as she did in HM but they're now much more "difficult". Sword form will be the same throughout the fight but Staff form will be different in phase 3. Her last form, Bow, is in phase 3.

For Sword form she has the tells of: Rising straight up in the air, her weapons will be sword and shield. She will have a buff icon of a sword. She will say something like "Text with sword in it" (ok it's more like 'wielders of the sword will die by the sword'?). In all phases, once she switches to sword form the tank must run to the group to split icebrand/the cleaves damage. She will do Glacier Bash which should be handled like Garuda's Slipstream.

For Staff form, she will rise up and twirl/spin. She will hold a staff. Her buff icon is a staff. She will say something like "The cycle ends here and now!" For phase 1, it's just like what she does in HM. Everyone spread out and make sure the aoes are not overlapping as with the aoes in Ramuh HM/EX.

For bow form, she will rise up and hold up a bow. A bow will be her buff. I don't know her word phrase tell right off the cuff. But she will do a 270-degree aoe. Everyone -must- be behind her or you will die. Period. After this Shiva will soon put a marker above someone's head. This will knock that player back. To deal with this, tank will bring shiva to the edge and everyones goes to her flanks. Person with marker goes to the open area behind her (Tanks can tempered will/holmgang. BLM can Manawall to avoid knockback.) DO NOT MOVE after she knocksback as she will soon freeze the entire floor and you will slide into the outside ring and get frozen gaoled.

Throughout the fight she will do aoes that will have ground indicators. Three patterns iirc. If you get hit you will probably die soon due to debuffs that you take from getting hit by them. They take up certain portions of the arena. One pattern will simply be easier to just have everyone in the center just taking one hit/debuff. The second and third patterns are a 1-2 hit. Basically she will have an aoe in the middle and 4 portions of the map: North, East, South, and West. OR Middle and Northeast, Southeast, Southwest, Northwest. Once she does those, everyone will need to be in the 4 portions of the map that are now safe after being hit by her first aoe. (She had aoes in NE,SE,SW,NW? go North, South, East, West. Aoes in N,S,E,W? Go NE, SE, SW, NW.) In order to not hit people with the aoes, the pairs going in the 4 portions will need to say who goes to the outside edge and who stays just near the middle aoe.

There is another aoe that I refer to Titan. It is similar to the titan bomb patterns. She will lay a circle aoe in the middle and then start filling the outside. You need to see where she lays the first circle on the outside and move immediately to the space to the left of it as that will be where her last aoe will be. Once the middle pops, move to the middle ASAP to avoid any stacks. If you are not confident in how fast you move, it is better to have 1 stack by staying in the middle than getting 2-3 stacks trying to adjust.

Whiteout: This is a very easily avoided attack as most of the fight everyone will be in melee range. I barely ever notice where it comes up in her rotation.

So Phase 1:

Shiva will do Staff and Sword (in any order). Sometimes she goes form-less. She will do the aoe where you will just stay in the middle to take the -1- debuff/hit as the safe spot is very difficult to get to. Once you get to 79?% she will go to Phase 2.

Phase 2:

Announced by Shiva asking for her brothers where she summons 4 ice golems. This phase is -really- easy dps check. I typically take them down well before Shiva even starts flying around the arena. She starts Phase 2 in Sword Form so the Tank handling Sword will handle it as always as everyone + WHM attacks the golems. WHM does Holy as the tank who handles Staff gets the golems available for aoe. Once golems are down, return to Shiva. In phase 2 our monk even ignores the adds and just takes Shiva on xD, we still get to her before she starts flying. While Shiva is flying, if we have a BRD, use Ballad. She then uses Diamond Dust.

Phase 3

I think she starts this in staff then moves to bow? I'm not sure of the complete rotation but this is what I remember it going like. BIG AOE heals will be needed starting this phase.

She will do Titan. Once she finishes Titan, she will be using bow form so handle it as you should (Behind, then sides while the one with the mark moves to her behind). BE PREPARED for the ground freezing so do -not- move. Once the floor unfreezes, move to the center. Soon she will do one of her 1-2hit icicle patterns. During the first one which determines where the safe spots are, she will indicate which form she is going into: Sword or Staff. If sword, get cleaved then move to the now-known safespots. If staff, go to the safe spots as soon as they are safe, making sure you aren't overlapping.

Whiteout happens after this I think.

Then it repeats from the beginning of phase 3, so bow or titan. something.

And there ends my very non-helpful guide to Shiva Ex.

Here is a visual on the patterns. I was mostly right about Phase 3. I think.

xMpC87t.png