Patch 2.41 Notes

Kage

I'll voice the unpopular opinion, then.

There's not a single part of Coil that's currently pertinent to the main storyline. It's closure for 1.0. As far as the current plot is concerned, Coil's got no bearing on it whatsoever.

Sure, but it's still the culmination of Alisae's and Alphinaud's collective character arc, the true ending of 1.0's story, and includes one of the most expensive CG cutscenes produced for the game.

For me' date=' it's cost/benefit. My playtime isn't as large as it used to be and Coil's hard numbers requirement (hope you've got exactly seven friends) just isn't worth grappling with. I just find the cutscenes and write-ups elsewhere because I'm interested in them, but don't particularly care if I see my character in the scene or not. The plot's important, not my avatar in them.[/quote']

This is kind of irrelevant. Doesn't matter to you? Fine. Matters to a whole lot of other people.

It's a slippery slope if you suddenly enable people who can't do endgame to do endgame on an Easy Mode. Does everyone realize there's story attached to the Extreme Modes? Nerf those so I can solo clear Titan EX and see the cutscenes. Crystal Tower queues are too long' date=' I want a solo version so I can see how it turns out.[/quote']False equivalency. CT is braindead easy to beat in a PUG. Any "story" content in the EX Primals is completely tangential and almost entirely irrelevant in any case (that being said, they DO have to do something about EX Primals because it is f'ing impossible to get a group to clear them nowadays). Coil is far more important in the grand scheme of things even with its status as a side story.

[snip][...] If you are but others aren't' date=' look for the people who can and make a strike team.[/quote']youre_serious_futurama.gif

If that takes too much time or effort, find the cutscenes on youtube or the write-ups on fansites. If it's SO IMPORTANT that you be the star in those cutscenes, well... 30 goto 10.

Obviously I have already watched the cutscenes on Youtube, but it's still not even remotely the same, especially since, you know, Youtube quality kind of sucks still, but also because I want to be able to complete my collection of in-game cutscenes for the journal. Having that hole in there is a constant black mark and I want it gone. Don't even care one iota about the gear (mostly because it's fuggin' ugly aside from a few of the weapons).

As annoying as EX Primals are, Coil really stands on its own as far as difficulty goes in this game. There is literally nothing else that is as much of a pain in the ass as it is, with as much relevant (and by relevant I mean relevant TO ME) story content as it has. It's a weird outlier that stands entirely on its own in this really quite bloody huge game and its very existence is a blight that must be EXPUNG- I mean I just... I don't like it. I don't want to deal with it. It's just not fun. And I really wonder just how masochistic those who participate in this content really have to be to enjoy themselves when they could be doing so many other things and having just as much (if not more) fun.

But I get why it's there. It's for the exact same reason why the relic weapon quest is a thing, why poetics are capped every week and why 4* crafting is such a massive pain in the ass: it's a carrot on a stick to drag players through the sticky mud so they stay subscribed to the game as long as possible, period, end of story. But, you know, it's sooo much easier to swallow when it's just a thing to do to improve your numbers and NOT a thing that holds story content pretty much hostage. And Youtube it is not an answer!

At this rate I will never actually see those cutscenes in the game until like 3.0, when... Hells, I don't know, will they nerf the Coils again when they're completely irrelevant? Will they let it languish in the pit of disuse when players still have trouble getting through T5 and T9 just for the hell of it? At any rate, I can only hope they do something, because this is just dumb. Optional content or not, at some point something's got to give.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda rude... was all that really necessary?

If having the Coil storyline appear as completed in your journal is that important to you, than make an effort to get it done. Or find a link on youtube that has HQ1080. Those are your options.

I loathe crafting personally. I will probably never get all of my crafts to L50(60) ever. But I understand that that choice comes with consequences. Whose problem is that? Mine, not SE's. I neither expect nor demand SE give me an easy mode way to level them all to 50 in one day. I understand that if I want to get them to 50, I'm gonna have to put on my big girl panties and get it done. And the same is true for Coil. It's just not that hard anymore. A LS mate who's never even looked at SCOB until yesterday just DF'd their T6 and T7 clear without having a single clue of what they were doing.

I loathe crafting personally. I will probably never get all of my crafts to L50(60) ever. But I understand that that choice comes with consequences. Whose problem is that? Mine, not SE's. I neither expect nor demand SE give me an easy mode way to level them all to 50 in one day. I understand that if I want to get them to 50, I'm gonna have to put on my big girl panties and get it done. And the same is true for Coil. It's just not that hard anymore. A LS mate who's never even looked at SCOB until yesterday just DF'd their T6 and T7 clear without having a single clue of what they were doing.

There's also no real significant storyline that requires crafting, unless you consider Ixali Beast Tribe to be significant storyline (although it does kind of explain how Eorzean airship technology exists). Even the gear obtained through crafting can be obtained without actually doing the content since all of it can be purchased off the Market if a person has sufficiently enough money.

An analogy to being carried into those instances, I think, wouldn't really be equivalent - You need to pull your weight. Not so when you're just buying the item.

(Funnily enough - levelling crafting is easy as pie. It's getting 3-star+ that's "hard", and even then it's only hard because it requires a LOT of materia and a lot of desynths. The Cracks of Buttamut you can rely on your skills - not so for crafting. Your rotation might be perfect, but if you don't got the stats you don't craft.)

Guys, there's nothing in the game that is even equivalent to the Cost of Bahamoney - that's why it's so sought out and why this thread's been essentially carried by it.

No one should be surprised about nerfs or whatever to Coil. SE has been saying since before the game launched this was always their game plan - nerf the old content so more people can see it, let the raiders move on to new content.

THAT BEING SAID.

Priorities are different for everyone. Yeah, there's a bit of a "God, remember when this was hard?" about it, I certainly did that for Coil1 (You know how many times I've cleared Twintania? 40. 40 times. This doesn't include the fails. Yes, that's not even an exaggeration, anyone who knows me can tell you I go in there A LOT) but lets be realistic here. If they didn't nerf it, it would be dead content. No one would really do it. The raiders will have moved to to the newest content and the people who don't have the time to learn it would just stay away.

Should there be an easy mode instead of a complete nerf? Yeah sure... but honestly if the Easy mode and the Normal Mode gives the same gear 80% of the population would do the easy mode anyway - the path of least resistance after all. If they do decide to do that for later raids in Heavensward, that would be awesome! But lets not pretend the Normals are gonna be THE POPULAR FEATURE.

I got into T9 about 2 months ago, so maybe I'm a bit biased since I beat T6-8 before the nerf but eh -- it's better than dead content. I really love that people STILL do Coil1. That's awesome. I'm so used to seeing old raids just get abandoned - becoming nothing more than Ghost Towns.

And yeah: The Coil3 storyline is a pretty big deal guys. Like, it finished the storyline completely pretty much. Saying the story doesn't matter in coil is ludicrous

Much of this patch doesn't even apply to me because I've yet to beat Twintania on any of my characters and my difficulty has been a big deterrent for any further dabbling in Coils since I want the gear available from it mostly for looks and I kinda feel like its not worth the trouble just for a piece of gear I only want for glamouring that I'm not even guaranteed to see.

And yeah: The Coil3 storyline is a pretty big deal guys. Like, it finished the storyline completely pretty much. Saying the story doesn't matter in coil is ludicrous

I didn't mean to make it sound like the story didn't matter as a whole, I meant that, as far as anyone who started with 2.0 knows, it's a sidequest. I wonder if there are new players who completely forgot there was a sister at this point, for example.

Coil is the endcap to 1.0 and the folks who know what happened in 1.0 are interested, but aside from some hard confirmation of soft estimations in the MSQ there's nothing relevant to what's going on currently in there.

For now, until we get more story that makes a liar of me post-post.

But the 2.0 MSQ has made lots of talks about the great sacrifice made at the End of an Era cutscene and it -plays- every. single. time. you get 90k'd and you just sit there because you don't want to force a lobby error and have to RE-ENTER. YOUR PASSWORD AND SECURITY TOKEN AGAIN.

I mean.

I don't know. I never cared about what I got from Coil because of Alisae. Alphinaud has always been the one you see but it's not like I don't remember her from the beginning of the MSQ. I doubt anyone who cares about BAHAMUT only cares about what he was in 1.0. Or Dalamud. As fans of Final Fantasy, it's -bahamut-. Who doesn't want to know where he came from, what's up with him. We see him in that stupid cutscene and the 2.0 MSQ talks about that battle and the Calamity of that so much... I am curious. I know squat about 1.0 except for what Sounsyy and others post.

Coil isn't just for 1.0. ARR has shoved that last event into our face's at every single opportunity. That stupid cutscene in particular has always left me with... "How was Bahamut stopped from ravaging the land?" NO ONE WAS LEFT!!!1111

And then other things like a certain primal that Final Fantasy lovers may be interested in.

On another note: I went into DF last night for T7. It was laughable at how forgiving it was. 30 min into the instance and the newbies knew the fight they just had to stop petrifying healers when venomous tail was up >.> And then my game crashed so I went to sleep. It's super easy with farmers though. When you can get in a farm group that will allow 2 people to lot on the same item -_- (HEALER BODY PLOX)

Hey Balmung people, for what its worth I will help anyone, on anything raid wise if I am not already previously engaged.  Don't know stuff but are willing to listen?  That's ok!  Everyone starts somewhere

Same here. o/

I haven't cleared turns 8/9, but am patient and more than willing to help, and would like to learn myself lol.

To be honest for me the issue is just finding a nice practise team. So many rude people all over duty & party finder.

Hey Balmung people, for what its worth I will help anyone, on anything raid wise if I am not already previously engaged.  Don't know stuff but are willing to listen?  That's ok!  Everyone starts somewhere

Same here. o/

I haven't cleared turns 8/9, but am patient and more than willing to help, and would like to learn myself lol.

To be honest for me the issue is just finding a nice practise team. So many rude people all over duty & party finder.

If I'm not raiding I'm most likely not doing other things unless learn2craft or learn2gather, so I'd be free. I'm working on Turn 9 myself but Turn 8 should still be the same tower pushes and whatnot.

For me, the biggest barrier in this game is always going to be me.

My self-esteem and my awkwards.

Also T9.

And the inability of getting a T7 farm group so that I can still BLM and get the healer robe. *squints slightly insane eyes at screen*

I know that feeling.

It happens to me all the time, especially when I'm in an "important" role like tank or healer (which is all the time as of late on FFXIV, maining SCH on my "main" and PLD here). Doubly so if something bad happens - someone drops or someone is suddenly dangerously low on health.

I should record the crap I say to myself as I'm rushing to get that emergency Lustrate or two out on my main, haha. "Oh no you don't, OH NO YOU DON'T."

Or the triumphant "The box... says no." when successful.

Also T9.

And the inability of getting a T7 farm group so that I can still BLM and get the healer robe. *squints slightly insane eyes at screen*

Definitely my biggest issue too! Healing is my favourite thing to do, but I've avoided it in any end game content so far. 

If anyone would be interested in an informal static to learn things, perhaps we could put one together? I'd love to find people who won't mind my nervous healing and awkwardness. :P

I know that feel. I know it so hard. When I was still new to the game, I was so intimidated by the thought of running Coil that I just didn't even look at it until one of the FC groups needed a replacement tank one night and grabbed me. I'd never seen anything hit as hard as Caduceus or ADS; it was friggin' scary, but my FC was so patient with me, and looking back I'm glad they gave me the push they did.

Same thing with Extreme primals, I wouldn't have ever attempted them if not for my friends. It really echoes the notion that the people you party with are a major factor in how difficult the fights are. Knowing your teammates aren't going to turn around and yell at you for every mistake goes a long way in keeping you calm and just focusing on what's happening in the fight itself.

You will get T9 down! I didn't think my group ever would (13 weeks of attempts on that monster...), but it happened. Just a matter of time and stubbornness perseverance.

I should record the crap I say to myself as I'm rushing to get that emergency Lustrate or two out on my main, haha. "Oh no you don't, OH NO YOU DON'T."

I make some pretty amusing noises when Death Sentence/Ravensbeak come out. Especially if Bulwark fails to proc a block. Damn you, Bulwark.

I know that there is a linkshell, Balmung's Finest. I'm not sure if they've started to do runs together for Second Coil or the newest extremes (Shiva or Ramuh for example). If so, (I should probably ask for an invite) could start putting together groups for the "higher end tier" content.

My faults are usually social. RP. People. -_- I also tunnel vision reaaaally fast and when I try to put my all I close things out physically and mentally. This can be attested to the silence that comes from me to all but my raid static. Only things that register (sound and otherwise) are my team mates and the stupid.stupid.things.going.on.in.my.screen.

I know I might have sounded elitist (rawr I don't wanna be wipe frustrated) but it's really the mental state. Am I farming or running with my mates for progression? Or am I working with people who want to learn and are progressing? Fuzzy feelings come with the latter. The only times I get fuzzy feels with the former are after the raid is over and I can laugh at the dumb shit that happened or when we accomplish our goal.

I CAN FILL ALL ROLES. (except kiting a Renaud. Then again I haven't tried in 2.41). I have a i108 pld, i108 sch, and i113 blm. You might have to be wary of my healing though. I've only healed in ST and Expert dungeons. >.>

Edit: I'm really happy that I've been able to join "long-term" groups whose questions in mistakes were "Ok so what happened there?" or joking jibes of "you don't like me do you T_T?" Hehe Ballistics. >.> Being Number 1, the monk tended to die because they hadn't figured out how to make sure they kept stacks while being in range for the 2-smalls.

Couple of problems I personally have with this content is

A.) I don't really know that many people after my return

B.) I'm behind on item level

C.) I'm playing tank roles and don't know things

D.) I'm leveling Rawrior right now because PLD bores me to shreds.

Otherwise...well, I'd be all for trying to surmount some of this game's greater challenges. Hell, even the Primals. I mean, I'm enjoying Rawrior but I dread having to get my Relic all over again because HM Titan took me forever back when I was hunting Curtana.

Also, the awkward shy feels. I love tanking but worry myself to sweating over what I'm doing or not doing...it's an ouroboros of terrible things that keep me locked in dread.

Hence why I feel about offering small-party/solo options. A means to an end to at least see the content if nothing else. Even if I don't end up with BiS, I'd just be happy to say "I did it."

It's nerve-wracking, yo.

A) You come out to a LS that does these things on RPC and say "Hey guys I'd like to do said content. You mentioned wanting to try to run these to help out. I'd love your help."

B) You returned at a time where it doesn't take you long -at all- to get your item level up. Or get gear. While the new dungeons may be an issue, you still have the i70-i80 gear dropping stuff. You could start doing hunts. Check PF. Join. If the ilvl is too low, go into the lower level dungeons. Ask LS from A) to see if people will run dungeons with you so you can try to get the loot or get the tomes. Soldiery is unlimited! Get that wonderful tank gear on your PLD and use it for your Warrior when it's 50!

C) Enter dungeon say "Hey guys, just returned to the game and I'm rusty and new. I'll be doing my best. Any help or advice is appreciated."

D) Gear between PLD and WAR is shared. If you want to just level WAR then this content isn't stuff you should have problems with until later.

If you haven't started the content, you've still got lots of time because you still need the quests to unlock the content and you do need the gear so take your time learning these things. I would not recommend not watching a video for t5 (or t4) but all the other BCOB stuff is easy to talk about. See my comments about tanking BCOB.