Why Did You Choose Your Character's Race?

Madda

I like cats.

That's it.

Quoted for truth.

Really, though, I just love both lore for Sunseeker and Moonkeeper miqo'te the most out of all the other races/clans and was inspired by them. N'hadiya especially so. I love Sunseeker tribal culture, so I wanted to do a Sunseeker who has deep tribal influences and ties.

Xheja being a moonqo'te was admittedly more aesthetic than simply lore inspired. Because I always end up playing boring white bread humans in MMOs and I needed a change.

But in the future, I really want to branch out to other races. I love them all. ; ;

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hrmm, I feel like this might fail to land since the general paradigm is to say, "I chose x race because y race has z trait that I don't like." Still, here goes.

I went into the character creator with little to no knowledge of the FFXIV lore and no idea of what I wanted to play. I loved all of the races - they all had such unique charm! I skipped around and finally got to Elezen and was pleasantly surprised with their unconventional body proportions. I thought that it was a really unique visual representation on the 'elf' fantasy trope. The designers seemed to go out of their way to not make Elezen the perfect, beautiful people. They are gangly, awkward looking creatures that have a lot of visual character. So that's what drew me in!

Jet'a's? I wanted male mithras since FFXI, for once.

And for second, I didn't want to play anything that I had already played on XI. When I start fresh, I like to start anew, rather than carry over a previous character I RPd.

I learned of heavy RPing in a place called Furcadia. While I'm not a furry, Aysun was developed there and she was an anthropomorphic Turkish Van cat with odd eyes (I just love that breed of cat). So, she has always been a 'cat' of sorts. I played Mithra in XI, using her name there, so naturally when I came to XIV she could only be a Miqo'te. And you have no idea how stoked I was to get to represent her eyes how they are supposed to be in this game. :)

While I hate being one of a million Miqo'te, I couldn't change her to be anything else.

My first inclination in 1.0 was to play a Midlander, but once in the game, they all looked too svelte to my liking and wouldn't have fit the type of character I was going for. Highlander, with their Cro-Magnon features (sorry) wouldn't have fit either, so I sort of defaulted to Elezen when I rolled up Teveriel. I immediately fell in love with Elezen lore, particularly Ishgard, and the rest is history. :D

Elezen - Look like hyur on stilts to me and I don't like the ears

Rude, dude. Rude.

Pffft you should know by now you and Thaarus are the exceptions.

Can't be classy without you two <3

Lol I still laugh at how I met y'all because you both just ran up extremely close on me just staring xD

Tiergan was going to be a highlander.

Then I couldn't give him eyebrows.

Though I sometimes have moments of extreme regret every time a highlander takes off his shirt and reveals muscles that Tiergan's in-game avatar will never have. ;A;

The only two races I like for males are Miqo'te and Elezen, so Nox started off as a Miqo'te who sometimes glamours as an Elezen, but I felt like I couldn't play him properly as an Elezen because I personally always felt like he has to talk eloquently as an Elezen. There his glamour prism uh, broke, and he hasn't used that illusion ever since. Although he can still cast it, but he can't keep it up for a very long time without the prism.

I picked a Roegadyn for a few reasons.

Part of it comes from the fact I can never make a Midlander as good looking as the cut scene fellow and that breaks my heart. My work with a Highlander doesn't seem ever do be as good as I want.

((Well most of it is not being able to make in my opinion... a "good" looking of the various races.))

However, the larger fact is I very much enjoyed the Charr and Aman of GW2 and TERA respectively. No offense to the Miqo'te present, but the way a majority of Miqo'te I see RPed and designed lack the.... Civilized (to a point) beast aspect of the Charr especially. Roegadyn seemed to capture that better than any of the other races even if I don't RP them very barbarically.

There are other reasons for Roegadyn, but I shall leave them for your imagination.

I looked at the lore for whatever race would fit Val's personality, as it's a character I've had before, and landed on Miqo'te. I didn't want to be one of the multiple "Lol I'm a Nunh so I'm a manwhore" people, so I changed it up and said he got kicked out of his tribe because of how he was acting and due to the fact that he didn't take his job serious.

Well... let's see....

For some reason, I always imagined Eleni as a Miqo'te, and a Seeker at that too. Of course, that was when I had just seen the races aesthetically and had no idea about the lore at all! 

So, then I read the lore and the Seeker lore did freak me out a bit because well... harems? Desperate female Seekers (at least that's the image I got... :?  And hey, the in game portrayal of Seeker women and the way a lot of RPers RP Seekers only made that image clearer) ?

But, by then I had become so used to imagining Eleni as a Seeker, I had to think of some backstory that would save her from this tribal lifestyle. So, I came up with her backstory (with valuable input from the forums here, and you guys, thankies everyone :3) and then she was a Seeker of the Sun Miqo'te! :D

For Yangh I wanted a character that had a mixture of things. Less than average strength, very high dexterity and speed, a secluded upbringing, sex appeal and I just wanted to make a desert Keeper!

Her name actually came about from my second favourite street fighter character (Yang) as my first favourite, Ken Masters, didn't quuuiiiitteee fit the bill! xD

Anyone who has met Yangh will know of her affinity as a Priestess, her accent and her native tongue. Her native tongue of Akshar (AKA: Arabic) and her Clan's heavy basis on the Afar peoples of the Afar Region of Ethiopia meant that her back story and whole upbringing was something I created as opposed to something that existed in game. This was most of the reason that I chose her clan to be extremely introvert and secluded so as not to have my created backstory stand on anyone's toes!

In fact, her assassination form of Pugilism is also heavily based on the Mantis style of Kung-Fu (Also heavily drawn from the Eight-Extremities Fist) and the way she fights aesthetically, altered move set and all to look cool (Though they're just skills that already exist with a different slant on them), are also taken from the character Yang... not that she uses that particular skill set any longer.

Long story! Make love not murder!

So now you know! Also... Keeper = Fangs.

I should've lead with Fangs.

Fangs are love. ♥,..,♥

*moves chest slider up to 100*

because, female highlanders.

In Madda's defense, you can either be a C cup, or you can smother people to death with your breasts. 

( Finally made Madda's character. Now just gotta decide whether Highlander or Hellsguard. )