Why Did You Choose Your Character's Race?

Madda

( hidden QQ post )

So while Madda sits, waiting to make another character, why did you make your character be a specific race? What drew you towards that race?

Madda was drawn to the Hellsguard Roe because of how much better Madda thought they looked than actual Highlanders. Plus, they have neat, poofy, leather, wristguards.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lore compliance, basically. Before I decided I wanted to make a RP alt, Miryn was a Hellsguard Roe named Whimsical Sparrow. I like all the Roe animations and tanking is my favorite role, so I wanted something beefy to match.

Then came along my RP itch and I went for an Ishgardian background. However, I've never seen or heard of a Roe Ishgardian knight in canon, so I fantasia'd her to be a Wildwood Elezen.

(I do miss my femRoe though.)

Just my opinion so don't kill me.

I chose a Midlander without a doubt. 

Elezen - Look like hyur on stilts to me and I don't like the ears

Roegadyn - Look like wanna be Hulks

Lalafell - By far I love them as a race but I wouldn't play as one coz they look like eight year olds.

Miq'ote - EVERYONE IS A MIQ'OTE. Plus I never found them interesting to me. If they were dog people instead I mightv have been one.

Highlander - There's nothing wrong with them to me, I just prefer the smaller stature of a Midlander. To me Midlanders can look good as any job too. Other races not so much. Like a Roegadyn Ninja/Rogue dafuq you doing if you can't see them bigass people jumping around? 

Midlander - Midlander master race. That is all.

SO I had this whole great back story worked up for a Highlander and I went into the character creation and I just couldn't get her to look right. So I scrapped the backstory and just tried to find someone that was cute as hell but still looked like she could stab you without giving too much of a ----.

and hucha hucha hucha... cat girl.

I built a character around being a priest in Gridania and looked at the races that would most likely be - Midlander Hyur or Wildwood Elezen. In 1.0 Armi was actually an Elezen, but during beta I didn't like the Female Elezen animations and switched over to Hyur in 2.0.

Same with Loki - I built a pirate captain tough girl and rolled her as a Midlander Hyur in 1.0 because HIGHLANDER FEMALE WASNT A THING. As soon as it was I switched her over.

I built concepts first, then look at which race will fit the concept basically.

Unless there's another race that appeals to me, I usually play as humans in both roleplay and video games. XIV lacks bangaa, so I went with hyur. Midlander specifically, since I wanted something small, agile and nimble to complement the character's background, origins, etc. Only other XIV race I was interested in, Lalafell, I ended up using for an alt.

And midlanders looked too scrawny for melee combat.

I'm going to just quote Caine on this. (Fictional character, mind you, written by a relatively-well-versed martial artist)

Idiots pretending to know something about fighting sometimes say shit like Other things being equal, advantage lies with the longer weapon or Other things being equal, the fighter who strikes first wins. My favorite is Other things being equal, a big man beats a small man.

Know what makes them idiots? Wait. I'll show you.

[The ogrillo] finally commits: with a grunt like a rhino's cough he launches a full lunge, jamming that spear straight for my spine by way of my navel. I slap the spear aside with a clank, and his eyes go wide at the sparks the knife up my left sleeve strikes off his blade.

Before he has the faintest fucking chance to figure out what just happened, I'm spinning toward him along the spear shaft, left hand grabbing his nearside tusk while my right clears the knife past my left cuff, and when his reflexive sideways yank rips his tusk out of my grip, that same yank shows me the back of his skull. So that's where I put the knife.

The blade's only seven inches. The point doesn't quite come out his mouth.

Get it?

"Other things" are never equal.

I find the miqo'te lore and how it shapes characters very interesting; it helped me pull together a character concept that I thought would be interesting to play. Thus, L'yhta is miqo'te.

I still have a soft spot in my heart for elezen, though. If I ever spend more than an hour or two on an alt (why must the game be so mean to alts?), I have a few elezen concepts (Flames soldier, spoony bard) that I'd like to play.

Because big burly human-like punchman. Yes.

I usually play humans, or the closest thing to them! I enjoy the relatable struggles and the prospect of transplanting humanity into a fantasy universe -- or something close to it!

And also:

320x170http://41.media.tumblr.com/eab36b00240753a0fcddff978c95bc84/tumblr_nf6i1k0aur1robwlio1_1280.png[/img]

Hnghn.

Well, this Lili was loosely based off the original carnation of Lili who was from WoW. Only she was a blood elf there and the story I had for her fit, and was decently transferrable to this game with a few edits.

However, Lili has always been on the shorter side. She's 5'4, and an Elezen was too tall while a miqo'te looked too young. So hyur it was!

Sounsyy is Miqo'te because she was Mithra in XI. And her namesake was Mithra in XI.

But her story, for the most part, is fairly independent of her race. She could have just as easily (and still just as easily) been Hyur and her character stayed intact. But I did enjoy expanding upon her Miqo'te background and upbringing when the Miqo'te Naming Conventions were released.

Because playing an elderly, bearded Duskwight peddler stands out far more than a Midlander, the original choice. There was no way to not make Verad look like a drug-dealer as a Midlander.

Unless there's another race that appeals to me, I usually play as humans in both roleplay and video games. XIV lacks bangaa, so I went with hyur. Midlander specifically, since I wanted something small, agile and nimble to complement the character's background, origins, etc. Only other XIV race I was interested in, Lalafell, I ended up using for an alt.

And midlanders looked too scrawny for melee combat.

I'm going to just quote Caine on this. (Fictional character, mind you, written by a relatively-well-versed martial artist)

Idiots pretending to know something about fighting sometimes say shit like Other things being equal, advantage lies with the longer weapon or Other things being equal, the fighter who strikes first wins. My favorite is Other things being equal, a big man beats a small man.

Know what makes them idiots? Wait. I'll show you.

[The ogrillo] finally commits: with a grunt like a rhino's cough he launches a full lunge, jamming that spear straight for my spine by way of my navel. I slap the spear aside with a clank, and his eyes go wide at the sparks the knife up my left sleeve strikes off his blade.

Before he has the faintest fucking chance to figure out what just happened, I'm spinning toward him along the spear shaft, left hand grabbing his nearside tusk while my right clears the knife past my left cuff, and when his reflexive sideways yank rips his tusk out of my grip, that same yank shows me the back of his skull. So that's where I put the knife.

The blade's only seven inches. The point doesn't quite come out his mouth.

Get it?

"Other things" are never equal.

Because playing an elderly, bearded Duskwight peddler stands out far more than a Midlander, the original choice. There was no way to not make Verad look like a drug-dealer as a Midlander.

Isn't that what you do anyway?  >_>

"Want to buy some -dubious- goods my friend? " *shakes pill bottle* "It'll make you see noises and smell colors"

I loved Lalafell pretty much as soon as I saw them in the opening cutscene.

It was like *loud le gasp* "Awwwwww!"

I tried Miquo'te and Roe for a little bit, but stopped pretty quickly.  I just wanted to be small and totally adorable. =^^=

Plus, I feel like it's a perfect fit for myself as a person.  I too am quite short (and adorable, according to my hubbind)

I like the whole David and Goliath thing going with tiny dudes taking on and beating much larger dudes. I think I started sometime in Vanilla WoW watching a Gnome Warrior tank Onyxia in 40-man. Huge destructive beast being held at bay by a little guy no bigger than one of her talons.

Plus, there's something inherently amusing to the idea of the grand hero of the MSQ being this dumpy little guy with a button nose. Doubly so since I've given both my Lalas the :| face, which makes them look rather displeased with anything they're doing in the story. Dodging thrown cards, dancing a jig with pirates, facing down prials. All with the hardest disinterest possible provided by a knee-high hero.

(Also they're adorable.)

To preface this, I've been playing FFXIV since alpha/beta for 1.0. I still remember the disappointment when they announced that male Miqo'te would not be a thing in XIV, and was annoyed that they hadn't learned their lesson from years of people asking for male Mithra in XI. Merri would have been a Miqo'te in a heartbeat had then been an option, but, he wound up being a Midlander as that was my second choice. Even still, he wound up being sort of a playful/mischievous flirt, as he was originally going to be if he were a Miqo'te.

c1nzLSP.jpg

However, come ARR, I couldn't resist the temptation of finally making him a Miqo'te, so he was retconned into a Sunseeker and that was that. I roleplayed him as a Hyur for years, and looking back, I can't imagine him as a Hyur anymore. Miqo'te wound up being such a perfect fit for his character.

I think I mentioned this earlier in a different thread about names, but I actually wound up really enjoying the dynamic of having a Miqo'te without a traditional tribal name. It gave me the opportunity to play a very civilized and, well, non-tribal Miqo'te. Granted, you could do that regardless, but I like to look at it as him being one step further removed from it all. He's a Sunseeker who has literally no concept of the tribal lifestyle, and thinks the really tribal Miqo'te are a bit on the barbaric side~

Some things never change, though.

oYEJxq4.png

I was originally going to play a hella fine Roegadyn.

ffxiv%202013-06-14%2022-27-07-00.bmp

... but then I played around with the character creator and, remembering how much I ADORED Tarus in XI, decided to give Lalafell a try. And it stuck, because honestly you can't beat a lalafell.

Scary Roegadyn would later become a hella fine Highlander instead, because I couldn't get a Roe to look angry enough for my liking. GO FIGURE.