Just a bunch of questions

MadWater

Hi! I'm just trying to clear some stuff up prior to finalizing my character's history.

1. My research shows the invasion of Ala Mhigo occured 22 years prior to 'now'. Can anyone confirm this?
  2. How quickly do Roegadyns physically mature relative to Hyur? (I guess I'm also assuming that Hyur are identical to humans physically...)
  3. Is there a handy list of all the common terms used in game that replace ones used on Earth? For example, units of measure (malms, bells, etc).
  4. ...

Well I felt like I had a million questions, but once I try to put thoughts to words, I can only remember three of course. Still, answers to these will be really helpful!

3) Hours = bells, night = moon (sometimes), people used to use "sevenday" for "week" but then we found out we have eight days, so perhaps eightday?

ilm=inch

fulm=foot

malm=mile

yalm=yard

ponze/ponzes=pound

onze=ounce

I always forget if ton is tonne or tonzes. Probably neither.

Handy trick for weights/lengths: The first letter stays the same, the rest change.

I suspected as much for the units of length and weight. And it's tonze, I've died enough to that damn ability in AV/that one FATE to have it seared into my memory. It's interesting that they use imperial units as the basis in a game developed in Japan.

In regards to aging, it's been suggested that Hyur have -slightly- longer life expectancy than real-world humans (a bit over a hundred years for a Hyur, while just under a hundred years for a human). Beyond that, the ONLY race we know that has a life expectancy that differs from a Hyur is Elezen -- lore panel says they live longer, but there was no age given. Quacky (I never remember his name...) the Lalafell in the BLM questline is well over a hundred years old, but has been stated to be the exception for a Lala's life expectancy.

Until otherwise stated by a Dev, it's probably safest to assume that Roegadyns age similarly to Hyur.

EDIT:

Oh, and since XIV uses the same rotation of weekdays that XI does, the order goes:

Firesday (Monday's equivalent)

Earthsday

Watersday

Windsday (Wednesday's equivalent)

Iceday

Lightningsday (Friday's equivalent)

Lightsday  (Saturday's equivalent)

Darksday  (Sunday's equivalent)

1. My research shows the invasion of Ala Mhigo occured 22 years prior to 'now'. Can anyone confirm this?

I can second this.  I had to look it up for my own background as well.

How common is the Ala Mhigan refugee backstory? It seems a lot more common that I initially expected.

I can second this.  I had to look it up for my own background as well.

How common is the Ala Mhigan refugee backstory? It seems a lot more common that I initially expected.

Incredibly common, but don't worry about it, because the primary lore supports it happening. Basically, if you're a Highlander, you're almost expected to be a refugee or something from Ala Migho. It's a given. That doesn't mean you HAVE to be, but it'd probably be easier for you as there is enough Lore surrounding it to fall back on, allowing you to have what you feel is an interesting backstory.

I can second this. I had to look it up for my own background as well.

As I understand it we are still five years from the Calamity. I seem to remember the lore guy on the forums saying 3.0 will constitute the 6th year. Just throwing that out there.

Incredibly common, but don't worry about it, because the primary lore supports it happening. Basically, if you're a Highlander, you're almost expected to be a refugee or something from Ala Migho. It's a given. That doesn't mean you HAVE to be, but it'd probably be easier for you as there is enough Lore surrounding it to fall back on, allowing you to have what you feel is an interesting backstory.

My character will be a Hellsguard. I assumed, like every other major city, it had a minor population of the other races.

Edit: I actually prefer the "common" backstory. Farmer, refugee, etc. Makes rising to some amount of notoriety or glory that much more exciting.

As I understand it we are still five years from the Calamity. I seem to remember the lore guy on the forums saying 3.0 will constitute the 6th year. Just throwing that out there.

I placed Coatleque's birth at just after the fall of Ala'Mhigo. She was ~17/18 when the Calamity hit. I'd say she's ~23/24 by 3.0

Beyond measurements and that, I've noticed words like anyroad (instead of anyway), fortnight (instead of 2 weeks), mayhaps (instead of maybe), pray tell/ pray do.. Generally there's an old english sorta feel to it. So if you want to add that kind of flair onto it you could probably look up more of those words - just don't overdo it :) Most of the time I forget to use them, though anyroad is becoming more of a habit. 

Also, in regards to ageing, I seem to remember mister loredev on the panel say that whilst the races can live for long, doing so is rather difficult to achieve because a lot of things in Eorzea is out to do you in, even when you're not a heroic type. Such as Calamity falling down on everyone, pirates, thieves, murderers, corruption and wildlife that could rival Australia. So potentially one could say that seeing an old person walking about might be somewhat rare or that people might respect old people, because they lived through a lot.

My research shows the invasion of Ala Mhigo occured 22 years prior to 'now'. Can anyone confirm this?

Ala Mhigo fell in the Year 1557 6AE, which is exactly 20 years ago, not 22. If you choose to advance time relative to the number of Heavensturn Events (only one), then we are 21 years passed the fall of Ala Mhigo. Just be aware that technically the game does not advance time in accordance with real life, so future Patches/Expansions may still have us being in the 1st Year of the Seventh Astral Era. Meaning the fall of Ala Mhigo would still be only 20 years ago.

The game's dialogue uses a LOT of British regional colloquialisms, the vast majority of which will fly over North American and continental European players. One specific example I recall is "couldn't give a toss", which would be obscure to anyone but British players. For the record, "to toss" means "to masturbate". "They're a bunch of tossers" is equivalent to "They're a bunch of wankers". Essentially, that piece of NPC dialogue is equivalent to saying "They couldn't give a fuck".

Looking up your favourite British working class sitcom and pulling colloquialisms from there? You're golden.

For some assistance, the timeline: https://wiki.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/pages/Lore:Timeline

I wrote Gharen's story as the occupation of Ala Mhigo as 20 years prior to now. Gharen being age five at the time. And It was hardly an invasion, the populace was happy to see that empire be let in the gates as the king had pretty much in his paranoia become a murdering tyrant.

There is an Ala Mhigan historian that hangs out in the goldsmith's guild that is related to the Monk questline if you speak to him you can choose several topics one of which is the occupation. He seems to put his own personal spin on the history regarding what he thinks or feels about it because he lived through it.

Well...just in case this is a random question thread (if it's not, forgive me and I'll ship my silly questions off elsewhere! :D ), here's a pair I've been pondering while getting things situated for RP-ness on my Moonkeeper.

-It's mentioned that some Keeper clans/families made peace with the Wood Wailers,etc...is this a minority approach overall for the Keepers in the Shroud?

-Do Keepers and Seekers not get along? I haven't found anything that says one way or another but it just seems to be a feel/impression I've gotten generally speaking.

For some assistance, the timeline: https://wiki.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/pages/Lore:Timeline

I wrote Gharen's story as the occupation of Ala Mhigo as 20 years prior to now. Gharen being age five at the time. And It was hardly an invasion, the populace was happy to see that empire be let in the gates as the king had pretty much in his paranoia become a murdering tyrant.

There is an Ala Mhigan historian that hangs out in the goldsmith's guild that is related to the Monk questline if you speak to him you can choose several topics one of which is the occupation. He seems to put his own personal spin on the history regarding what he thinks or feels about it because he lived through it.

^ This! I also use 20 years ago for Berrod; his mother spirited him away when he was three. His father stayed behind to put up some measure of resistance to the occupation because he believed that the people were making the wrong decision by allowing the Garleans to assume control -- even if Theodoric was a crazy bastard who ruined everything.

-It's mentioned that some Keeper clans/families made peace with the Wood Wailers,etc...is this a minority approach overall for the Keepers in the Shroud?

Some Keeper families have made peace with the Gridanians. However, many Keepers, such as the Coeurlclaws, renounce Elemental law (Pact of Gelmora) and live a rather savage life within the Wood, poaching and murdering to survive. This paints Keepers in general in a very negative light in Gridanian eyes, so there's a lot of prejudice against Keepers. One of the latest Moogle Delivery quests "The Past Is a Story We Never Tell" goes into more detail about Keeper Miqo'te. For instance, the Coeurlclaws must kill a Wood Wailer as a sort of gang initiation. So you can imagine Gridanians don't look too fondly on that.

-Do Keepers and Seekers not get along? I haven't found anything that says one way or another but it just seems to be a feel/impression I've gotten generally speaking.

I remember this was talked about by Fernehalwes a looong time ago, back in 1.0 days, but I don't recall what he said specifically. I will try to find the quote.

Thank you! That little bit of information was very helpful. I'm still working on my character because I think I'm going to do a few things I've never done before. Not sure how it will work out.