The main forum Community mods have SPOKEN!

B-but... I don't fight with fists :C

Then why should you be wearing a fistfighter's outfit?

Don't get me wrong, I understand what you're saying. In my head, though, it just simplifies to "I want to wear off-class gear on my chosen class for reasons."

I've been in many MMORPGs that has given me plenty of interesting outfits as a glamour so my thinking is a bit stretched from what this game gives me. This is another issue I had with WoW too since the outfit was somewhat restricted to some terms on transmog.

Like PSO2, the outfits had more options imo. They are different games, I know. But it's just my wish that if they are going to restrict outfit Fistfighter/Hussar - at least they should make a something similar replica level 1 outfit they did for the level 1 Coliseum subligar outfit.

Doesn't have to be as unique for dye options like FF/Hussar outfit, and it can be bland and standard like what the Skywatchers are wearing.

The game could benefit from more level 1 glamours, but the demand for coliseum stuff was astronomical compared to the i70 armor. Probably because they were integral for slutglamour, but there's a reason that, even with those dungeons being spammed for zodiac drops, those pieces of gear still fluctuate between 10 and 40k on our server.

Glamour restrictions are currently in line with equipment restrictions: If you put Ninja AF onto Gloam gear and change to monk, it poofs back to gloam. It didn't make a lot of sense back when we only had MNK and DRG to keep stuff like Fistfighter's and Hussar's gear isolated, but the addition of ninja put some light into my theory here.

Those armor can't be blanketed as DoW because that would allow Ninja and Bard to wear STR gear with no benefit and still meet ilvl requirements. I've played enough of SE's MMOs to feel confident betting that the reason glamours are restricted is because of shitty coding.

Don't expect those things to be untangled for a while.

Even if it derails from the hope that they might someday wake up and stop being stupid, it bring me immense comfort to actually, FINALLY have a legitimate reason for why they have non-relic gear class locked - so thank you very much.

Then why should you be wearing a fistfighter's outfit?

Don't get me wrong, I understand what you're saying. In my head, though, it just simplifies to "I want to wear off-class gear on my chosen class for reasons."

I dunno. In my mind, with MMO games, RPG games, what have you, you can name it whatever you want, but restrictions of any kind like that are a little stupid.

There's really no reason a character can't simply buy any given item from a lore perspective (barring the obvious items, of course). There's people in Ul'dah who flat-out tell you "yeah, you can buy pretty much anything here."

This item in question is literally just some generic leather long-sleeve jacket with a few flavor items placed on it.

I understand why it has to happen from a mechanics perspective, but from any other perspective, it comes off as stupid.

I dunno. In my mind, with MMO games, RPG games, what have you, you can name it whatever you want, but restrictions of any kind like that are a little stupid.

There's really no reason a character can't simply buy any given item from a lore perspective (barring the obvious items, of course). There's people in Ul'dah who flat-out tell you "yeah, you can buy pretty much anything here."

This item in question is literally just some generic leather long-sleeve jacket with a few flavor items placed on it.

I understand why it has to happen from a mechanics perspective, but from any other perspective, it comes off as stupid.

Oh, I totally agree. But this is Square Enix, your logic doesn't apply. When this subject has come up before I've mentioned I would have preferred basically any other system from an MMO for glamouring; Even Warcraft's armor settings are more lenient than XIV's.

I don't see any point in me to RP and people ask me "why are you holding a sword when you are wearing fist weapons/spear while also wearing XYZ outfit". I don't want to remind them everytime I RP at least.

"Deserve" is a strong word and practically screams entitlement. If you're a level 50 monk, you can change to monk and hide your weapon. I mean, it's called a Fistfighter's jacket. You deserve to wear it if you are fistfighting.

Nothing wrong with entitlement when it's deserved. If one levels the job, they rightfully deserve to make use of said armor however they wish.

I don't have much of an issue with the restrictions currently in place. Would it be great if some of them happened to be removed? Sure! Yet at the end of the day it's their game and I'm not going to hold it against them if they happen to restrict certain items to specific classes or make use of other gating mechanics.

Those armor can't be blanketed as DoW because that would allow Ninja and Bard to wear STR gear with no benefit and still meet ilvl requirements.

But they said the same thing about NIN wearing MNK gear - lo and behold, they added DEX to the sets to nip that problem in the bud.

Of course, then the issue becomes everyone rolling for all kinds of gear because why the hell not? Which is obviously the problem they wanted to avoid in the first place by segregating gear so heavily.

There's really not an easy fix to this situation. Either you would allow the glamours to be used even when your class can't actually wear the gear in question (my preferred method, but then you let mages wear plate and all that jazz, which Yoshida apparently doesn't like), or you somehow only allow gear with the correct primary attributes to count for ilvl. Which would actually be nice, because, you know, running into tanks with dex accessories is not fun for anyone involved. :(

Actually, screw it. They should do both! Forget class identity - what the hell does that even mean when you have people running around in light steel galerusi (is that the right word?) with every class under the sun? It's nonsense is what it is! Blarrrgh! :dazed:

Those armor can't be blanketed as DoW because that would allow Ninja and Bard to wear STR gear with no benefit and still meet ilvl requirements.

But they said the same thing about NIN wearing MNK gear - lo and behold, they added DEX to the sets to nip that problem in the bud.

Of course, then the issue becomes everyone rolling for all kinds of gear because why the hell not? Which is obviously the problem they wanted to avoid in the first place by segregating gear so heavily.

There's really not an easy fix to this situation. Either you would allow the glamours to be used even when your class can't actually wear the gear in question (my preferred method, but then you let mages wear plate and all that jazz, which Yoshida apparently doesn't like), or you somehow only allow gear with the correct primary attributes to count for ilvl. Which would actually be nice, because, you know, running into tanks with dex accessories is not fun for anyone involved. :(

Actually, screw it. They should do both! Forget class identity - what the hell does that even mean when you have people running around in light steel galerusi (is that the right word?) with every class under the sun? It's nonsense is what it is! Blarrrgh! :dazed:

Unlike other threads, I think I've found something we can agree 100% on!

It's silly that we can't just wear what we want. ...I'd almost ask them to go back to a 1.0 style equipment. ...anyone could wear anything, but if you were the wrong class, you wouldn't get any of the bonuses. And if you put something too high-level on, no bonuses. (it's how I used a lv22 saw for CRP to get it to lv12 in the day)

Even if it derails from the hope that they might someday wake up and stop being stupid, it bring me immense comfort to actually, FINALLY have a legitimate reason for why they have non-relic gear class locked - so thank you very much.

Just a theory, mind you. A sound one, I think, but just a theory.

It doesn't matter, it's still something to go off of instead of:

"There's a certain look we want for the game, and a tank wearing healer robes goes against that image"   - paraphrasing

....in spite of the fact you can glamour yourself to appear naked - complimented only by a snowman head and not break said image.

What it ultimately comes down to, as Warren said, is bad coding. If their programmers truly understood the concept of object oriented programming, this wouldn't be an issue.

Here is a very brief example of how the game should be written:

Item1 is an object. A piece of gear that goes on a character's chest.

Item1 has the following properties that ALL items of type "gear" have:

- model used

- stats used

- gear slot

- level requirement

- etc

Everyone who has this item in their inventory has an instance of this object saved to their user account on the server. When you glamor an another object over top of this item, all that needs to be changed is the 'model used' property of the instance saved in your account. When a client fetches this data from the server, it loads the appropriate model and displays it on everyone's screens.

It's that simple. And changing how much damage a healing spell heals for should in no way affect this code because it's all contained in said object.

That is how you can tell bad programming from good programming.