Tricks or Tips, an FFXIV "secrets" collection

Hey there,

Two days ago I found out that this annoying "heavy" debuff you get when you're running on the middle of the Sahagin / Sylphs / Amalj'aa and similar areas were only applying when you are mounted. While I found myself dumb to not have noticed that detail earlier, I thought that it might be nice to share those small "secrets" !

Here are some of mines :

- The heavy debuff on Tribes areas is only applied when mounted.

- In the Lost City Of Amdapor, you can dispel the "Misery" debuff by using the emote /comfort on the player (you have to be close).

- The mobs who don't have eyes such as the Flytrap, the dullahan or the Morbol detect the players with sounds. You can avoid them to aggro by setting yourself in /walk.

- It's possible to avoid Paralyze / Void thunder / Void fire simply by moving to the back of the monsters casting it.

- While the hunt spawn can seem to be random at first, there are, in fact, a limited amount of possible locations for each of them.

Your turn now, teach us some neat tips @_@ !

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's counter intuitive but a large number of the enemy spells in this game are calculated upon completion of cast bar, not upon spell animation. This means that you can be moving back into position from something normally deadly ahead of when it looks safe.

The only things I can think of that aren't true for that are Jettatura in Halatali Hard Mode and Mortal Gaze during the first WoD boss.

(This is the reason you'll sometimes see people "die" to plumes and be clear out of the effect, or Slipstream/Glacier Bash will stun a target that is standing behind the boss.)

- The mobs who don't have eyes such as the Flytrap, the dullahan or the Morbol detect the players with sounds. You can avoid them to aggro by setting yourself in /walk.

This also applies to the nankas in Hullbreaker Isle.

For T7 that is a bit different however. You need to wait for Petrification and Shriek to have the floor effect which is after the cast bard is finished.

Otherwise you get stoned.

Now it doesn't matter so much but it's caused a few wipes pre-DF.

Actually this is interesting because I think all the cases where you want to not be effected by a gaze-mechanic requires the effect to go out first. It makes sense. @_@!

Edit:

You can un-mount and take off your buffs by right clicking the icon you have for it when it's up. Have Blood for Blood up when you are about to get hit by Earthshakers or something that hurts? Right click off!

I can't totally confirm that this is true but they seem to work for me.

[align=left]-When you jump, the game calculates your location as being where your character will land, rather than where you are. Thus "leaping to get away from a big explosion" actually works in this game, for purposes of getting away from AoE, and can potentially save you if you're a bit late getting out.

-It is believed that Sprint will count towards building Limit Break. Since you have no use of TP, use it whenever possible.

I can't confirm either, but since they are harmless and you lose nothing from doing them, I think they're worth trying.[/align]

Sprinting for Limit Break is real. For casters, definitely do this. We use this when we -needed- to build LB3 fast or if our dps was so high we had to.

Also, large damage heals of course (that ding you hear). Deaths contribute as well lol. But Sprinting is better. xD

Last I heard, the game updated your position based on what was being sent back to the server. So it's actually sorta opposite which contributes to the whole titan death people sometimes experienced and why jumping does shit for that. It doesn't calculate for where you are in the "air" and so the only things it registers are where you jumped from and then re-registers where you landed.

That's also why I believe it's recommended you start using SOMETHING the moment you're out of the AoE. Start a spell, use an ability, something. That forces the server to update your location because you're somewhere new and doing something.

I know they made adjustments specifically because of Titan ruining people's assholes after launch. Not only does the game not update your position in the air, but it actually only parsed every 2~ seconds to determine where you were. This meant that running out of landslide or weights wasn't enough to get you clear, to be completely sure you were safe you needed to then perform an action to force the game to reassess your position.

Like so.

FFXIV.gif

For T7 that is a bit different however. You need to wait for Petrification and Shriek to have the floor effect which is after the cast bard is finished.

This applies to hailstorm in Shiva as well.

Even though the floor effect disappears, you have to keep running and wait for the ice explosion before returning to the group or else you'll still hit everyone with it.

This applies to hailstorm in Shiva as well.

Even though the floor effect disappears, you have to keep running and wait for the ice explosion before returning to the group or else you'll still hit everyone with it.

I believe there is a cast to the Shiva floor icing as well but that you still need to not move until after the animation.

Now there are some other things that is true to what Warren said.

Lunar Dynamo in T9. You almost always get clipped if you aren't out before the middle of the cast. After the cast and even when the animation is still going on, a WHM can run in with Divine Seal + Cast Buff + Swift Medica II + Medica.

I'm surprised noone has mentioned that ALL "Gaze" attacks, not just "Mortal Gaze" in WoD, can be dodged by simply turning your back to the enemy.

The Boogeyman in AKHM got so much easier once I figured that one out.

That's also why I believe it's recommended you start using SOMETHING the moment you're out of the AoE. Start a spell, use an ability, something. That forces the server to update your location because you're somewhere new and doing something.

Yeah, jumping actually increases the likelihood you'll get hit by an AOE, from my experience. But doing something once you're out of an AOE is is definitely a good tip, though. I have a shit ton of lag when I play, so to avoid an AOE, even if I'm clearly out of it in time, I overshoot it by running as faaar away from the AOE as possible. Otherwise, if I make it out in time but stop right outside the edge of the AOE, the server often doesn't seem to register that I'm outside the hit zone in time, so definitely make some extra movements once you're out of the range of an AOE.

I'm surprised noone has mentioned that ALL "Gaze" attacks, not just "Mortal Gaze" in WoD, can be dodged by simply turning your back to the enemy.

Question: What does he do that makes you want to do that? xD;

I know they made adjustments specifically because of Titan ruining people's assholes after launch. Not only does the game not update your position in the air, but it actually only parsed every 2~ seconds to determine where you were. This meant that running out of landslide or weights wasn't enough to get you clear, to be completely sure you were safe you needed to then perform an action to force the game to reassess your position.

Like so.

FFXIV.gif

The game still doesn't parse frequently enough. The current delay for server position updates is somewhere between 0.5s and 1.25s, IIRC.

Always always always have something ready to press/pop.

Question: What does he do that makes you want to do that? xD;

Oh, the giant cone effect thing he does when he (and his clone) comes out of invisibility. The one that confuses you and makes you attack your allies. Either through bad positioning or folks revealing both of them at once, sometimes I can't escape it in time. So being able to just look away to nullify it is great.

... Especially if the group let those adds explode and everyone has bleeds and they all need healing and oh god why.

As a Summoner, your pets are impeded by almost no form of barrier. The walls put up around the Mythril Verges spawned by Qarn NM's final boss, Adjucator may trap you or other players, but you can actually send your Egi to attack the Verge with a quick Sic or Obey and they will phase right on through or attack from afar, depending on the summon.

This also applies to the barriers put up around the Dark Clouds during that one phase in the Cloud of Darkness battle, where 3 clouds are put up in a triangle formation and explode at the end of their countdown. Though you can get trapped inside or outside, your Egis can once again attack or move right through them, allowing you to send aid to other players during the fight, and allowing you to relax should your Egi be off somewhere else when the walls go up.

This has saved my life and others on several occasions.

[align=center]---[/align]

In the Titan fights, position your Garuda Egi off in the furthest corner of the arena, where it is doomed to have the floor ripped out from underneath it. Not only is Garuda immune to landslides, but when the arena is shrunk, Garuda will remain hovering in mid air, allowing you to keep it from ever taking a hit, as it will end up out of range of Tumults and other nastiness. The only thing that will kill it is your death. However, you will have to reposition yourself a bit in order for your buffs and Enkindle commands to continue working, though not by much to be of any concern.

[align=center]---[/align]

The Summoner Burn is the ancient art of cheesing the hell out of a variety of instanced dungeons. It calls for four Summoners (or three and say, one healer, preferably a Scholar) using Titan Egis to beat the ever-loving shit out of enemies whilst you sit back and spam every spell in the book. This strategy was used back in the days when Philosophy Tomes were a thing, and the only good instances for farming were WP and AK. Although slow, the sheer amount of DoTs and the presence of four tanks and four DPS in an instance made for four people can be nasty. Obviously, nowadays, your mileage may vary, but for those Summoners out there who hate DPS queues, it's a nice (and mildly amusing) alternative. For best results, blast "Under the Weight" on repeat while you play.

Chicken nugget (as me and my friends call the Titan-egi) has been one way how we did Mog Ex when we were bored and didn't have a second tank.

You can also do the same with the fairy as SCH in Titan but it's nice to have the heals centered for that Rouse+Whispering Dawn+Fey Illumination. Honestly, anything is better than putting your stupid pet in front of Titan. Stop people. Seriously. move that shit so it doesn't get hit all the time and you can focus on healing/damaging and not healing your pet :V

Honestly, anything is better than putting your stupid pet in front of Titan. Stop people. Seriously. move that shit so it doesn't get hit all the time and you can focus on healing/damaging and not healing your pet :V

Still better than healers deciding to stand on top of the tank in time to eat cleaves.

ಠ_ಠ Amdapor Keep HM

Any tips for Hysteria status ailments? Shit drives me insane. Like, control, or some nonsense?

Also, your poisons as a ROG/NIN apply to Fuma Shuriken, because it's a physical weapon being thrown, not something metaphysical like Raiton. So the nerf actually didn't affect mudras, simply the offensive magic types. Fuma is still competent and a decent attack when chained.

Also, it drives me insane when NINs ignore this:

SUITON ALLOWS YOU TO BACKSTAB/FRONTSTAB, BACKSTABBING GRANTS ~1K IN DAMAGE AND A 10 SECOND VULNERABILITY DEBUFF ON THE MOB. It's DPS cake, and it's ignored to all hell, especially when all a DPS does is attack the backs of mobs. Suiton that shit and hotbar your Trick Attack for some protip goodness. 

And not much of a trick, but useful regardless, Inner Release + Second Wind can land you 1200 in HP through critical heals. It's good for DPS check attacks like Tumult.

Inner Release and Death Blossom are also cross-class, meaning there's no excuse for any class not to be able to use hard hitting AoEs on big pull runs like Brayflox HM. Crits on DB can hit for 600dmg a pop. Huiton on top of that for maximum speed and you're in for a crowd control DPS to remember.

Also, your poisons as a ROG/NIN apply to Fuma Shuriken, because it's a physical weapon being thrown, not something metaphysical like Raiton. So the nerf actually didn't affect mudras, simply the offensive magic types. Fuma is still competent and a decent attack when chained.

Raiton still parses higher than Fuma Shuriken even after the nerf -and- accounting for GCD delays. The community number-crunched this to death on the official forums and reddit when that patch hit.

That said, Fuma is viable, just not optimal.