Tricks or Tips, an FFXIV "secrets" collection

Also, your poisons as a ROG/NIN apply to Fuma Shuriken, because it's a physical weapon being thrown, not something metaphysical like Raiton. So the nerf actually didn't affect mudras, simply the offensive magic types. Fuma is still competent and a decent attack when chained.

Raiton still parses higher than Fuma Shuriken even after the nerf -and- accounting for GCD delays. The community number-crunched this to death on the official forums and reddit when that patch hit.

That said, Fuma is viable, just not optimal.

I abuse that stuff to hell in Moggle Mog EX runs, where I can rush down HP without it killing the moogle. It's a reliable attack.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another absolutely not obvious tips for SCH and I believe SMN too.

When you upgrade your gear, change it or maybe also when you have summoned your Egi / Fairy in a lower lvl dungeon don't forget to resummon after, the stats of your summon don't refresh by themselves.

Unless they changed that on the previous patch, you can easily test it : Get your character naked, summon Eos and heal with her. Now put on your armor and do the same. Now resummon Eos and heal again, you'll see a HUGE difference.

It's possible to travel to the Gold Saucer via airship for free from Gridania, Ul'dah and Limsa after completing the necessary quest to unlock it.

This means that if you need to get between any of the city states quickly or want to avoid spending as little gil as possible whilst travelling you can evade the 120 gil it costs to travel directly to and from the city states via the typical route.

It may not seem like much but every little bit helps, eh?

Another absolutely not obvious tips for SCH and I believe SMN too.

When you upgrade your gear, change it or maybe also when you have summoned your Egi / Fairy in a lower lvl dungeon don't forget to resummon after, the stats of your summon don't refresh by themselves.

Unless they changed that on the previous patch, you can easily test it : Get your character naked, summon Eos and heal with her. Now put on your armor and do the same. Now resummon Eos and heal again, you'll see a HUGE difference.

The same is true about cleric stance for both WHM and SCH. 

WHM: throw your regen on the target, THEN go into cleric stance and do your dps..

The regen will benefit from your out of stance cast. This is testable much like the gear thing. Cast out of cleric stance and notice the numbers on the ticks, then cast it while in cleric stance and notice lower numbers.

I -believe- the same holds true for the fairies (if summoned while not in cleric stance their heals will act as though you're not), but I could be wrong.

This holds true for DPS as well, hit those dots while BFB is up to see bigger results... even if BFB falls off before the dot does. The dot will still tick for BFB damage (and whatever other cooldown you had on when you hit the dot).

Granted, I haven't seriously healed (or DPS'ed) in a loooong time, so this all could've been changed in a patch.

The regen will benefit from your out of stance cast. This is testable much like the gear thing. Cast out of cleric stance and notice the numbers on the ticks, then cast it while in cleric stance and notice lower numbers.

I -believe- the same holds true for the fairies (if summoned while not in cleric stance their heals will act as though you're not), but I could be wrong.

This holds true for DPS as well, hit those dots while BFB is up to see bigger results... even if BFB falls off before the dot does. The dot will still tick for BFB damage (and whatever other cooldown you had on when you hit the dot).

I do this all the time. I try to get all my SCH dots up while in Cleric Stance (along with Shadow Flare), and I immediately reapply dots if I burn a bunch of damage-boosting cooldowns like BFB.

As for fairy healing in Cleric Stance, I... don't know? I've never actually compared it. I... guess it would make sense? I need to find out now, since I've been relying mostly on my fairy to do some spot healing while I get my dots up.

I'm surprised noone has mentioned that ALL "Gaze" attacks, not just "Mortal Gaze" in WoD, can be dodged by simply turning your back to the enemy.

The Boogeyman in AKHM got so much easier once I figured that one out.

Yep. The vast majority of gaze attacks can be avoided by turning away. It's only really become widely known since WoD was released and it's become more of a necessity.

Also, not so much a secret as it is a handy tip to any new warriors. Things like vengeance and bloodbath are affected by damage buffs given by berserk and unchained. Pop all four, pull everything, overpower. 

Aggro. For. Days.

ALSO ALSO provoke on it's own as a pull is useless as it only places you 1 point above on the enmity table. Always follow up with something or whoever had aggro is gonna rip it right back off you. OR the healer will get aggro the second they heal you.

Tomahawk/Shield Lob is only way to pull.

If you are standing still and do this, the game will rotate your position to face the enemy. This is fine if you want the enemy to come to you. In most cases, you want them to move somewhere else.

If you take a running jump, the momentum will keep you facing the direction you intend while your Shield Lob goes the other way.

When pulling packs of creatures (on a PC at least), you can tab-target to the next creature immediately after using Shield Lob, then use this tactic to fire another Shield Lob at a second creature as you continue gathering mobs. This is a good way to build up threat fast on the initial pull when DPS decides to start attacking rather than waiting.

Given enough room, and a quick hand, you can essentially Shield Lob 8-10 things before you're done gathering and start flashing.

Second Wind, if cross classed as warrior, will benefit from Berserk, I think? I've heard that one before.

Second Wind is based off your attack power, so I believe this is the case. Actually, as weird as it sounds, I believe Blood for Blood will also boost the healing of Second Wind too.

Second Wind, if cross classed as warrior, will benefit from Berserk, I think? I've heard that one before.

Second Wind is based off your attack power, so I believe this is the case. Actually, as weird as it sounds, I believe Blood for Blood will also boost the healing of Second Wind too.

Raw Damage+ buffs (Fight or Flight, Blood for Blood) do nothing for attack-power generated things. I believe Second Wind will be affected by Berserk and the like, but B4B shouldn't do anything for it.

Also, there is one specific use Provoke has for pulling things. In Ampador Keep (not hard mode, plain ol' 2.0 version) you can tag the Succubus/Taur/Will-o-Wisp pack right after the Demon Wall across the gap when doing the big "U" shaped segment. This is nice to help gather everything on the Eye/Demon pack to mow everything down at once, while giving you some running room to recoup MP/TP.

Provoke helps when you want to grab a mob that is further away than what a tomahawk or lob will do. Another suggestion is when you ran Wanderer's Palace normal mode when people were lower geared. There's that set of mobs down the stairs that you can grab for better pacing.

Also, Provoke seems essential for WAR in T13.

Pro Tip: If you're leveling another class in a lower level zone, try to prioritize leves if possible. if a FATE is nearby, hit or kill maybe 6 mobs or so. The FATE rewards are lesser than the leves most of the time, and they do cap.

Provoke also is not a true taunt, it's just an enmity equalizer. It will place you at the top of the threat list with +1 aggro. If you do not follow it immediately with a bigger enmity-generating hit, you will lose the mob as soon as DPS touches it, or a big heal goes off.

Provoke also is not a true taunt, it's just an enmity equalizer. It will place you at the top of the threat list with +1 aggro. If you do not follow it immediately with a bigger enmity-generating hit, you will lose the mob as soon as DPS touches it, or a big heal goes off.

This is true if your threat-lead is small. I've had poor taunts and had nothing special queued up ready to follow the Provoke, and it's fine because not many healers or dps are even close to the tanks. With that said, if your off-tank keeps doing a max dps rotation and you have a poor Provoke, you will lose threat to them. It's very important to have moves ready to hit as soon as you Provoke so your offtank can switch stances and dps freely and not worry about slowing down or halting dps altogether.

Provoke also is not a true taunt, it's just an enmity equalizer.  It will place you at the top of the threat list with +1 aggro.  If you do not follow it immediately with a bigger enmity-generating hit, you will lose the mob as soon as DPS touches it, or a big heal goes off.

I was sorta thinking that would have been an obvious idea that you can't only use Provoke but then I realized some may not have gotten that from what we were talking about and that it should have been clarified.

For most hunts / wanting quicker ways of travel certain means of travel are better than others.

Far south of Middle La Noscea:

Teleport to Limsa Decks, take Zephyr Gate aethernet.

Middle of Lower La Noscea or near Rooster Stead:

Teleport to Limsa Decks, Mist, run out of mist.

Two ports in Western Thanalan instead of Horizon:

Port to Ul'dah and Use Gate of the Sultana (Western Than)

Port to Limsa, aethernet take Arcanist Guild, take the ferry to Vesper Bay

Pro Tip: If you're leveling another class in a lower level zone, try to prioritize leves if possible. if a FATE is nearby, hit or kill maybe 6 mobs or so. The FATE rewards are lesser than the leves most of the time, and they do cap.

Leves are only effective until you hit the middle ground for that bracket (40-45 = 43 being the middle ground). Afterwards you'll be burning way too many leves and the xp is always capped from the start and FATEs are free. If you wanna burn leves and are not interested in gathering levelling or crafting, go nuts. Also always put it at maximum difficulty but be warned, pre-30 leves hurt without a heal

Now this is less tips and more a guide but here's my throw down for this thread.

FATEs?! WHERE?!

1-10: Starting areas. Doesn't matter where, just pick a place you like and go nuts. I like Middle La Noscea. 

B-B-B-BONUS: Chain Farming is super effective at this level range. What is chain farming? Chain farming is where you attack a mob at the same level or higher and triggering a timer under your xp bar. By killing as many mobs as you can in the time limit you gain bonus xp! If you have an xp cap (Friendship Circlet, Helm of Light, That weird mog cap thingie) then this method is far more effective cus you're the BEST AAARRROUUUND. 

Ahem.

10-15 to even 20: Western La Noscea. Lovely place, careful with the Aleport FATEs as they will be 16-18.

15-20: East Shroud. I tend to stay in Western La Noscea until 20-22, but this place is just as great. 

20(22)-30: South Shroud (Quarrymill). Camp Tranquil has 30-32 FATEs which are helpful in the later levels, but will wreck you early. This place tends to have a FATE party around. 

30-35: Eastern La Noscea. Costa Del Sol or Wineport or both. Wineport has 32-35s and Costa has 30-34. Again, tends to have a FATE party around.

35-40: Coerthas Central Highlands. Lovely place this, always has a FATE party. I tend to stay until 42, however you can leave at 40 and go nuts to the next area or go to Whitebrim and do leves. 

40-50: Northern Thanalan. I hate this place, but it's got the best xp/hour. Tends to have a FATE party up around. 

Leves?! WHERE?!

1-10: HoeNH.gif

You shouldn't be doing leves at this level range, you silly goat. 

10-15: Western La NosceaSwiftperch. 

15-20: Western La Noscea - Aleport.

20-25: South Shroud - Quarrymill.

25-30: South Shroud - Quarrymill. Yes there's a level 25 bracket as well as a 20. Wowzors.

30-35: Eastern La Noscea - Costa Del Sol.

35-40: Coerthas Central Highlands - First Dicasterial Observatorium of Aetherial and Astrological Phenomena I didn't copy paste that name.

40-45: Coerthas Central Highlands - Whitebrim.

45-50: More Donuts Mor Dhona

Just tested, heal is the same

Another tank tip : Don't let any mob on your back, you cannot parry / block mobs on your back. (At least it was like that for a while, not tested since long as I always have them in front of me by reflex)

Raw Damage+ buffs (Fight or Flight, Blood for Blood) do nothing for attack-power generated things. I believe Second Wind will be affected by Berserk and the like, but B4B shouldn't do anything for it.

B4B is straight damage so it would be applied after Atk Power calculations - Second Wind would not be affected.

Berserk works because it's a straight increase to Atk Power - Second Wind is directly affected.

If it touches Atk Power = Second Wind is buffed.

I might reslot SW since it's more useful than Mantra.

Second Wind is buffed by Berserk, yes (but not by Unchained!). Makes it more worthwhile on WAR in my eyes than 5% healing buff from Mantra (which sucks compared to MNK's traited 15%, btw).

Sastasha HM, first boss "Karlabos"

If Stun Claws does 0 damage to the target marked "Prey", they will not be stunned. That means stone skin / galvanize to reduce damage. Paladins with stone skin can start casting at the 8 second mark of "Prey" to self-buff before Stun Claws.

Sastasha HM, first boss "Karlabos"

If Stun Claws does 0 damage to the target marked "Prey", they will not be stunned.  That means stone skin / galvanize to reduce damage.  Paladins with stone skin can start casting at the 8 second mark of "Prey" to self-buff before Stun Claws.

This also works for Ifrit's knockback AoE. Most of my HM runs of it start with the usual buffing, and I get to basically ignore the first backblast just because the combination of Stoneskin and Galvanize drops it to 0.