What are fantasia made of?

Good evening everyone,

I know the subject of IC fantasia is not everyone's favorite, but one of my guildmate recently drank one in character, and has tasked my character into making an "antidote". Now, my character had never heard of such potion before, and will be doing extensive tests on the content of the vial to try and determine the makeup of it in order to know what kind of "antidote" might work.

And so I turn to the community,

What do you think would be in a fantasia potion? Throw us all your ideas!

The stance that I had taken on it was that it was more of a 'genetic tattoo' sort of thing, in that it did not fundamentally change you yourself, but instead mask certain characteristics while maintaining the same underlying traits of the individual. 

For example, a fantasia accident happened to Titor for a bit, and he still retained his anemia. It also did not increase strength (to Roe proportions) and I would not imagine that traits of the new race would be explicitly picked up (Such as better hearing/eyesight if one were to fantasia from a non Mioq'te or Elezen to one of these). I also do not think it would 'cure' lost limbs, or whatnot. The image of the limb might be there, but it would likely be rendered paralyzed or nonfunctional.

As Titor had a brief fantasia accident, he had developed an un-fantasia of sort, which was kind of the equivalent of just 'burning' out the genetic tattoo.

However, this was my play/headcanon on the matter. There is little to no lore at the info, other than it seems to take a bit of time to take effect ("awaken" a new man/woman, instead of instantly poof into the other thing.)

ACCORDING TO MISS FINA ARCHER....

14 water cluster, purest quality

6 lightning cluster, purest quality

2 gal. distilled water

5 hearty bunches matron's mistletoe, berries and leaves intact

5 palm-sized blue landtrap leaves, no discolorations or withered spots

3 bunches Death's Fingers, harvested no more than 12 hours before it will be used

2 small-sized mandrakes, smaller than a closed fist

2 morbol vines; should be as thick as pirate's sailing rope, roughly.

1 branch Thavnairian mistletoe, no brown spots

1 branch newly-blossomed Vampire plant; must snip the cutting from the plant before newly-opened bud can feed on other flora. Night-time collection only

1 dram all-purpose antidote; any grade

1 small vial clove oil; any grade

1 large vial spoken blood, fresh harvested from spoken of your choice, kept warm (not boiling) by whatever means necessary until delivery no more than 24 hours after collection.

1 wyvern liver and pineal glands, delivered no more than 2 hours before use. If glands cannot be extracted in a timely and exacting manner, please pack the entire brain into 16 ponz. jar filled with distilled water and deliver ASAP.

I'm copypasting my weirdly detailed list here from a storyline I had a hand in:

14 water cluster, purest quality

6 lightning cluster, purest quality

2 gal. distilled water

5 hearty bunches matron's mistletoe, berries and leaves intact

5 palm-sized blue landtrap leaves, no discolorations or withered spots

3 bunches Death's Fingers, harvested no more than 12 hours before it will be used

2 small-sized mandrakes, smaller than a closed fist

2 morbol vines; should be as thick as pirate's sailing rope, roughly.

1 branch Thavnairian mistletoe, no brown spots

1 branch newly-blossomed Vampire plant; must snip the cutting from the plant before newly-opened bud can feed on other flora. Night-time collection only

1 dram all-purpose antidote; any grade

1 small vial clove oil; any grade

1 large vial spoken blood, fresh harvested from spoken of your choice, kept warm (not boiling) by whatever means necessary until delivery no more than 24 hours after collection.

1 wyvern liver and pineal glands, delivered no more than 2 hours before use. If glands cannot be extracted in a timely and exacting manner, please pack the entire brain into 16 ponz. jar filled with distilled water and deliver ASAP.

How did I come up with it? I went through a list of different alchemy reagents/recipes in the game and took a little of this, a little of that based on the descriptions of the ingredients, what alchemy recipes they commonly show up in, and what imaginary properties they'd share in common with the recipes they're in and carry over to a fantasia.

I came up with the recipe under the attitude that Fantasias are rare, difficult/expensive/time-sensitive to create, easily perishable (so you can't stockpile them), and not always 100% effective -- thus, some of the more stringent guidelines.

Hope this is helpful!

Edit: Posted this at the same time as above :P

Thank you everyone for the serious (and not so serious - I laughed, Clio xD) replies!

I agree with your version of the fantasia Titor, mostly about the fact that it can't fix things like a lost arm. I know a couple of FC mate mentioned that my character could use a fantasia to fix her blind eye, but personally I don't think it would work :P I see it more as a "permanent glamor"

Fina, that list is amazing! I will definitively be using it, though I may make some small changes. I agree with you that most ingredients should be rare and/or expensive, and you absolutely achieved that xD

Thanks again! :D

I'm more curious about how it actually functions. It's an actual reshaping of the body, isn't it? I wonder if it's extremely painful. Just rearranging the bone structure could be excruciating without sedation, let alone gaining height and weight rapidly.

I really would prefer to believe that it is rare for someone to use it rather than commonplace, as I can't see many people being willing to experience what I can only assume would be a very painful transformation. Unless perhaps it includes some sort of painkiller in the formula.

I think fantasia is both very rare and very expensive, which is why most people never use it even if they wanted - even the rich can have trouble finding it! Successful adventurers often keep contacts with powerful alchemists and other weirdos, and their pockets are full of gil, so it's a bit easier for them.

I imagine you're not entirely conscious when fantasia's effects take place - maybe it happens when you're asleep, even.

1 part water, 1 part immersion directly removed from the game world, 1 part poorly thought out in game item to "ground it in the lore". Combine and bring to boil. Store in fragile vial.

Directions:

Let sit for two weeks, then place it precariously on a shelf anywhere. Wait for manliest Highlander you ever met to knock it over and begin his amazing journey of self discovery as tiny cat-girl.

Alternatively, take a sudden interest in Alchemy. Mix whatever you can find as haphazardly as possible. Spend the next two weeks explaining to everyone IC that you were just messing around and totally don't know what happened, but somehow you're a lalafell.

Important:

Ignore plot holes about why Yugiri (or literally anyone) didn't just use a fantasia to hide her race when such a life changing vial of magic is common enough that accidents like these happen all the time.

1 part water, 1 part immersion directly removed from the game world, 1 part poorly thought out in game item to "ground it in the lore". Combine and bring to boil. Store in fragile vial.

Directions:

Let sit for two weeks, then place it precariously on a shelf anywhere. Wait for manliest Highlander you ever met to knock it over and begin his amazing journey of self discovery as tiny cat-girl.

Alternatively, take a sudden interest in Alchemy. Mix whatever you can find as haphazardly as possible. Spend the next two weeks explaining to everyone IC that you were just messing around and totally don't know what happened, but somehow you're a lalafell.

Important:

Ignore plot holes about why Yugiri (or literally anyone) didn't just use a fantasia to hide her race when such a life changing vial of magic is common enough that accidents like these happen all the time.

:lol:

...In all seriousness, this is what retcons are for. I know it's a dirty word amongst many in the community but sometimes it's just necessary to change things instead of trying to shoehorn in a half-assed explanation for otherwise unexplainable happenings.

Of course, this is easy enough in a self-contained written story with a single author, but RPers must consider other players in their assessment as well, since it's just really confusing when someone you knew as a Hyur comes up to you as a Lala and tells you they're really THAT person and they've always been this way etc., but that sort of thing just comes with the territory. We all have a responsibility to accept that explanation and pretend it was that way all along, because doing anything else would be irresponsible and just complicate matters more than they already are. ;)