Live letter from the Producer: XXI - Summary up!

Mercer

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this on Reddit:

Added an action that allows you to hold GL3 while boss is invun / in air, thank god.

#monk lyfe

#weeping for joy

#praise yoshida

It's not a way to preserve it but a way to consume it for burst damage.

Oh man DRK is sounding so much more amazeballs than I expected...and PLD and WAR stuffs actually sound like they'll be more engaging! Stance dancing! Dedicated prime and OT maneuvers! Exclamation points everywhere!!

It's not a way to preserve it but a way to consume it for burst damage.

Oh. Well then. Not quite as good but at least we don't have to watch in agony as it drops off. Just anticipate the jump.

EDIT: Thanks Nathan!

Some of those equipment sets.. specifically the one with the armored guy holding what appears to be some kind of jeddart-axe/poleaxe. Very nice.

Oh yeah that looked really nice, kinda reminds me of the liliput guards in Crystal Chronicals. me-likey.

(Updating this post as the letter goes on to not spam the topic)

TANKS

PALADIN

PLD is having it's new weapon skill branching depending on Enmity. They are also getting a new set of combos for Offtanks for a more DPS focus.

Divine Veil is a new barrier spell.

New block and shield based actions, including blocking for actions.

Looks like PLD is getting greatly expanded from it's current niche.

WARRIOR

New Stance! Deliverance, a DPS/Offtank focused stance. Abandon is the new stacking buff built in this stance. Stance dancing allows you to carry stacks between Wrath and Deliverance.

Raw Intuition, when struck from front will auto hit. If hit from side, Auto Crit.

New healing actions as well as new actions to consume and build Deliverance. Design goal is to make Defense more powerful and Offense seperate.

DARK KNIGHT

Dark Aura stance: Raises DPS but drains MP. Can not regain MP from party actions (No ballad). Dark Knight has weapon skills to recover MP.

Gripped Stance: Tank mode.

Weapon skills build emnity and leech HP from enemies. Complex combo system.

DARK EVERYTHING. Also: Soul Eater. Living Dead. Emo and Angsty the design goal (straight from Yoshi-P).

DRK do not have a ranged pull, they have a leaping charge.

ALL ACTIONS LEADING TO 50 HAVE BEEN ADJUSTED FOR TANKS!

TANK STANCES HAVE ACCURACY BONUS

DPS

MONK

New actions are used to help extend and preserve Greased Lightning. 

Meditation stacks up to 5. At 5 stacks, allows for new combos and actions. Meditation can be consumed to recover TP.

New action allows easier switching between fighting forms.

New actions will consume Greased Lightning, such as bursting before a high movement phase or invincible phase.

Monk will be more focused on using time and abilities wisely. to maintain DPS as well as high burst and high TP recovery.

DRAGOON

Blood Oath of Dragon, new stance. Thrust combo will have added proc. New branches off each attack, 4 Tiered combo actions. New actions that deplete time in stance. 

Revamped to not only deal damage but to manipulate enemies for maximum damage.

JUMP BEING ADJUSTED ON TIMING AND LANDING, FASTER

NINJA

Less stance switching than MNK and DRG. New combo to extend Huton through the fight, allowing for more Ninjitsu diversity. New positional actions?

Can lower Enmity for self and allies.

HUTON NERF

RANGED DPS

BARD

New Ballad! Wanderer's Minute, enables bards to charge their attacks during cast. Not able to move during charge but dramatically increases DPS of abilities, no auto attack. Requires more ballad management at all times between hard DPS or support.

Sidewinder new action, increases DOT damage.

MACHINIST

Machinist similar mechanically to Bard, different play style. When using utilizing specialized ammo will create different effects on enemies. Each weapon skill interacts with each ammo differently.

Reloading is 5 shots. Each consecutive shot raises your next Proc chance. Reloading will waste the previous remaining stacks of ammo.

Higher DPS if you consume all 5 stacks without stopping, but able shot weaving.

Quick Reload will off cooldown reload a single ammo.

Shot 1 will have a 50% proc rate. Shot 2 will have a higher proc and so on until Shot 5 is a 100% proc.

Bombs are burst damage that requires channeling.

Turrents can attack and give unique boosts depending on the turrent.

5 Minute translator break. Here is the summary so far on new job abilities and their mechanics.

Some of those equipment sets.. specifically the one with the armored guy holding what appears to be some kind of jeddart-axe/poleaxe. Very nice.

Here's what I was talking about:

tumblr_nopp0vUMzC1u6rer8o8_400.png

I wants it, precious. I want more diversity in polearms in general. Can we please have Lucerne hammers?

Some of those equipment sets.. specifically the one with the armored guy holding what appears to be  some kind of jeddart-axe/poleaxe. Very nice.

Here's what I was talking about:

tumblr_nopp0vUMzC1u6rer8o8_400.png

I wants it, precious.

That delicious DRG weapon.

I think expanding existing egi abilities is a good idea. Hoping there'll be some kind of effect that'll see them become something close to their full-sized counterparts. Even temporarily, like a short manifestation akin to the more traditional Summon spells in previous FF games. Might be a pipe dream, but..

"BARD

New Ballad! Wanderer's Minute, enables bards to charge their attacks during cast. Not able to move during charge but dramatically increases DPS of abilities, no auto attack. Requires more ballad management at all times between hard DPS or support."

So, Bards can give up their mobility for more damage? That's a worthy addition, and yup, I can see what they mean about more management. It sounds like a lot of stuff for all the classes, in terms of the changes, is coming to "You can do this OR than but not this AND that." Interesting, but hopefully well done.

That's what I said. It sounds like Warrior is about to get more technical. Love it. Still looking HARD at DRK, though.

I love that WAR is getting more to it. Stance dance classes/characters are almost always my favorites.

Can someone please sum up MNK changes for me? I'm at work and have no sound. ; ;

Monks are getting more strategic, is what I got from it, and will need to pay very close attention to what stance they are in for new possibilities, and some cases will have to give up their stances for defensive purposes.

The new combat moves, in tandem, look like somebody at SE really likes Shotokan characters from street fighter - lots of fire, uppercuts and jump kicks.

I couldn't ask for more. 8-) Monk changes plus the love coming to Paladin and DRK news? I'm a happy camper.

Summoners how y'all feel about no new egi but expanding of the regular ones abilities?

I actually might retire my main because her Leviathan-egi was everything and I get sick of having to tell people to pretend the Garuda is supposed to be a Leviathan

New egis were literally what I was most excited about in the entire expansion because it's the part of the job I enjoy most

The other abilities are cool and welcome and stuff but the butthurt is too strong for me to care at the moment

All these additional DPS abilities is making me kind of scared.

There's already a huge, enormous outsized difference between players who know how to play their classes and players who don't. The additional abilities are only going to increase the divide.

They really need some kind of proper tutorial for each class, because way too many players are going to get carried to cap without knowing how to play properly.

Summoners how y'all feel about no new egi but expanding of the regular ones abilities?

I actually might retire my main because her Leviathan-egi was everything and I get sick of having to tell people to pretend the Garuda is supposed to be a Leviathan

New egis were literally what I was most excited about in the entire expansion because it's the part of the job I enjoy most

The other abilities are cool and welcome and stuff but the butthurt is too strong for me to care at the moment

They are talking that instead of making new Egi that you'd be able to glamor your Egis, allows customization.

This is generally why I try to avoid RPing things that I can't represent well in-game, on-screen, with existing abilities. I understand your frustration and feel your pain (where's my BLU, Square? ; ; ) Egi customization might help but I rather doubt it'll get anyone a Levi-looking Egi. Might get close though?

All that said... this still looks sweet.

snkHrdL.gif

They are talking that instead of making new Egi that you'd be able to glamor your Egis, allows customization.

I actually got frustrated and closed the tab, and missed this part, haha. I would absolutely love if they followed through on this. Just looking the part would be enough for me.

This is generally why I try to avoid RPing things that I can't represent well in-game, on-screen, with existing abilities. I understand your frustration and feel your pain (where's my BLU, Square? ; ; )

That said... this still looks sweet.

snkHrdL.gif

Blue Mage is really rad, it was my second favorite FFXI job so I feel you there too. I was sad when I learned that and Red Mage were off the table.

I only went so hard into Leviathan-egi because I was 90% sure they had said at one point when they raise the level cap they'd add more egis, so I figured I was golden, haha

I actually got frustrated and closed the tab, and missed this part, haha. I would absolutely love if they followed through on this. Just looking the part would be enough for me.

They confirmed it, it's happening along with Bahamut transformations.

(Updating this post as the letter goes on to not spam the topic)

TANKS

PALADIN

PLD is having it's new weapon skill branching depending on Enmity. They are also getting a new set of combos for Offtanks for a more DPS focus.

Divine Veil is a new barrier spell.

New block and shield based actions, including blocking for actions.

Looks like PLD is getting greatly expanded from it's current niche.

WARRIOR

New Stance! Deliverance, a DPS/Offtank focused stance. Abandon is the new stacking buff built in this stance. Stance dancing allows you to carry stacks between Wrath and Deliverance.

Raw Intuition, when struck from front will auto hit. If hit from side, Auto Crit.

New healing actions as well as new actions to consume and build Deliverance. Design goal is to make Defense more powerful and Offense seperate.

DARK KNIGHT

Dark Aura stance: Raises DPS but drains MP. Can not regain MP from party actions (No ballad). Dark Knight has weapon skills to recover MP.

Gripped Stance: Tank mode.

Weapon skills build emnity and leech HP from enemies. Complex combo system.

DARK EVERYTHING. Also: Soul Eater. Living Dead. Emo and Angsty the design goal (straight from Yoshi-P).

DRK do not have a ranged pull, they have a leaping charge.

ALL ACTIONS LEADING TO 50 HAVE BEEN ADJUSTED FOR TANKS!

TANK STANCES HAVE ACCURACY BONUS

DPS

MONK

New actions are used to help extend and preserve Greased Lightning. 

Meditation stacks up to 5. At 5 stacks, allows for new combos and actions. Meditation can be consumed to recover TP.

New action allows easier switching between fighting forms.

New actions will consume Greased Lightning, such as bursting before a high movement phase or invincible phase.

Monk will be more focused on using time and abilities wisely. to maintain DPS as well as high burst and high TP recovery.

DRAGOON

Blood Oath of Dragon, new stance. Thrust combo will have added proc. New branches off each attack, 4 Tiered combo actions. New actions that deplete time in stance. 

Revamped to not only deal damage but to manipulate enemies for maximum damage.

JUMP BEING ADJUSTED ON TIMING AND LANDING, FASTER

NINJA

Less stance switching than MNK and DRG. New combo to extend Huton through the fight, allowing for more Ninjitsu diversity. New positional actions?

Can lower Enmity for self and allies.

HUTON NERF

RANGED DPS

BARD

New Ballad! Wanderer's Minute, enables bards to charge their attacks during cast. Not able to move during charge but dramatically increases DPS of abilities, no auto attack. Requires more ballad management at all times between hard DPS or support.

Sidewinder new action, increases DOT damage.

MACHINIST

Machinist similar mechanically to Bard, different play style. When using utilizing specialized ammo will create different effects on enemies. Each weapon skill interacts with each ammo differently.

Reloading is 5 shots. Each consecutive shot raises your next Proc chance. Reloading will waste the previous remaining stacks of ammo.

Higher DPS if you consume all 5 stacks without stopping, but able shot weaving.

Quick Reload will off cooldown reload a single ammo.

Shot 1 will have a 50% proc rate. Shot 2 will have a higher proc and so on until Shot 5 is a 100% proc.

Bombs are burst damage that requires channeling.

Turrents can attack and give unique boosts depending on the turrent.

SUMMONER

Aether Flow abilities renew DOTS

Tri-Disaster is renamed to Tri-Bind. New Tri-Disaster in Ishgard. Casts Bio, Bio II and Miasma at the same time.

Egi's buffed and expanded.

Aether Flow transforms into DREADWYRM TRANCE at 30 seconds.

POWER OF BAHAMUT. GAIN POWER OF BAHAMUT DURING DREADWYRM TRANCE!

NO NEW EGI. INSTEAD CUSTOMIZE EGI APPEARANCE.

HEALERS

WHITE MAGE

Originally a pure Healer, shifting to a hybrid DPS/Healer role officially. 

Aylum field, Regen field. Attack/Heal hybrid attack. Added lesser Benediction like instants. 

Stone 3 and Aero 3 both AOE, Aero 3 applies an AoE DOT.

Protect spell being adjusted so that it's buff amount is equalized between classes that can use it. Keep balance between the new healer trinity.

SCHOLAR

Instead of making SCH more powerful, they wanted to make it more strategic. The change is not evident in small parties but is more powerful in large parties. New actions are about AoE heals centered on the Scholar.

Deployment Tactics! Effects Eye for an Eye and Adloquim and manipulates their effects.

Emergency Tactics! Changes Aqloquim from a barrier to an aggressive heal.

Dissipation! Sacrifices pet into a large healing power buff.

ASTROLOGIAN

Two Stances: Moon Reading and Star Reading.

Moon Reading is much like WHM, powerful big heals. Star Reading is like SCH, barrier focused. Each stance changes actions greatly and will have very different rotations and priorities depending on the stance.

Big barriers, like Y'shtola.

Draw cards from 6 types. For example: Attack Boost, Haste, Decrease Damage, etc. Once you draw a card you keep it on hold. 

Royal Road lets you draw again and create a stacking buff between the two cards. May boost cards or turn them into AoE.

Spread lets you apply the buff to yourself.

Shuffle lets you discard and redraw.

Job Overview just finished, here is the complete new job action and new job descriptions! Every Job is getting revamped and made more complicated, prepare to relearn your rotation, priority and abilities.

I CAN TURN INTO FUCKING BAHAMUT! I DO NOT CARE!

Really!?

I missed that part O.o

I wanna be a SMN now. . .

Yup, they went into a good minute or so of 'Dreadwyrm this and that'. 

While I'm still sad that there's no new Egi's (A shiva one would have been nice), I am not going to be complaining since they are fixing some of the summoner skills.

I also enjoyed hearing that there was debate on new egis though. There were some people pushing for them and others weren't. If there wasn't any debate about it and they just said no more egi's, I'd be a bit more peeved.

All these additional DPS abilities is making me kind of scared.

There's already a huge, enormous outsized difference between players who know how to play their classes and players who don't. The additional abilities are only going to increase the divide.

They really need some kind of proper tutorial for each class, because way too many players are going to get carried to cap without knowing how to play properly.

This is true. So true.