Do you RP your main class?

Valde

I've been struggling since I started playing FF14 to find a 'main' class I enjoy and can RP at the same time. While I'm not going down the winding discussion of jobs and soulstones in RP, I'm a player that likes to connect his PvE with his RP. I find that enjoying the aesthetics and feel of a class and tying that into my character helps me create a better connection for that character's story as I write for them.

Am I alone in this, or is anyone else out there as ardent about that connection as I am? It's so much that when I started playing the game and wrote Isaelt as a BLM ICly, I ended up tweaking that because I simply could not stand the BLM playstyle.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I......sometimes do!

But I don't really have a main class. I cycle between ACN and MRD for most stuff (and my glamour gearsets prove it!)

Do I RP as my main-ish classes? Sometimes. An educated mercenary could very possibly know how to throw in some arcanima and wield an axe. Nothing too strange about that. I've RPed out scenes where Franz has studied stuff in a library and others where he's swung his axe around.

But there's also a lot of RP that just sorta happens. It's not his character to go become a proper WAR though. IC SCH? It could happen. There's been this want to have an IC Nymian Ruins Exploration Day! So it's possible that Franz could get lucky and find a faded/old soulstone or some well-preserved writings.

I play a Warrior but don't RP my main character as a Warrior. He's just a lizard man who uses an axe. Then again I also don't really RP that much anymore, so take that as you will.

My other toon that is solely for RP is a Dragoon ICly and OOCly. It depends on the class and what I want to RP but generally speaking my approach to MMOs is PvE first, RP second, and I always tank, so my RP toons tend to be big hulking meatheads with an axe or a Saber replica with a sword and board. I RP what I want to play OOCly, not the other way around.

I've been struggling since I started playing FF14 to find a 'main' class I enjoy and can RP at the same time. While I'm not going down the winding discussion of jobs and soulstones in RP, I'm a player that likes to connect his PvE with his RP. I find that enjoying the aesthetics and feel of a class and tying that into my character helps me create a better connection for that character's story as I write for them.

Am I alone in this, or is anyone else out there as ardent about that connection as I am? It's so much that when I started playing the game and wrote Isaelt as a BLM ICly, I ended up tweaking that because I simply could not stand the BLM playstyle.

I'm not very fond on tying my characters' IC abilities and background to specific in-game classes.  Strict adherence to IC classes and PVE gear is too conceptually restricting and requires obscene amounts of PvE time for certain characters.  

However, I try to harmonize the class and equipment of a character as closely to what I desire to portray in RP without spending huge amounts of time leveling every associated class.  Sigurd, for example, utilizes some DK-esque aether powers and a greatsword as a secondary weapon.   I tend to set his class to DK while RPing because most of the outfits and equipment are very consistent with his IC aesthetics. However, he has several skills that are not depicted by the dark knight class. His primary weapon is a single knife, but RPing him as a ninja would be inconsistent with his primary character traits. Similarly, he is a vintner by trade, but I have no aspirations of spending a ton of time leveling a culinarian. 

It is plausible and reasonable for characters to possess certain IC skills and abilities that do not directly relate to PVE content or classes (but have support in lore).  The only thing I attempt to avoid outright is blatant violation of well-settled lore, or RPing a character of an entirely different PVE archtype ( i.e. - do not RP as a mage while the in-game class is a warrior, etc.).

I usually like my characters' main OOC classes to be connected to their IC classes in some way. For instance, Yisu is a BLM OOCly and a shaman/thaumaturge ICly, while Michaux is currently an ARC OOCly and an archer/lorekeeper/minstrel ICly. However, since Solenne is the second incarnation of a character that used to be a hand-to-hand combat type, her highest level class is NIN even though ICly she's a conjurer. So now I'm frantically leveling CNJ/WHM to catch up and get the pretty high level WHM armors for her. (Because it's all about the clothes, after all.)

I play a Warrior but don't RP my main character as a Warrior. He's just a lizard man who uses an axe. Then again I also don't really RP that much anymore, so take that as you will.

My other toon that is solely for RP is a Dragoon ICly and OOCly. It depends on the class and what I want to RP but generally speaking my approach to MMOs is PvE first, RP second, and I always tank, so my RP toons tend to be big hulking meatheads with an axe or a Saber replica with a sword and board. I RP what I want to play OOCly, not the other way around.

I tend to be the same. I started MMOs as a minmaxer and eventually began to RP as a creative outlet and to help add longevity to games I enjoyed. However this translates into me playing classes where 'efficient' meets 'fun' and sometimes that class conflicts with the original idea for a character.

I was curious if I was weird for altering the RP around my character to suit what I enjoy in PvE rather than simply just sorta.. going with it. Perhaps it's more applicable in FF14 because of the glamouring system too and getting appropriate looking gear for my character that's sensible to me/his RP.

I tend to be the same. I started MMOs as a minmaxer and eventually began to RP as a creative outlet and to help add longevity to games I enjoyed. However this translates into me playing classes where 'efficient' meets 'fun' and sometimes that class conflicts with the original idea for a character.

I was curious if I was weird for altering the RP around my character to suit what I enjoy in PvE rather than simply just sorta.. going with it. Perhaps it's more applicable in FF14 because of the glamouring system too and getting appropriate looking gear for my character that's sensible to me/his RP.

According to the responses in this thread, yes, we are the weird ones. But at least we can be weirdos together.

No, not really - my character isn't a Paladin. He can't manipulate aether very well due to being a half-breed with Garlean blood in his veins and so he's pretty much just a guy who happens to fight in heavy armour whilst wielding a sword and shield.

I'm similar to a lot of the people here. When I come into a game I choose the class I want to be first and then develop a character around that. As some others have said, I like having my PvE connected to my RP, since it's such a big part of these games.

So Ellie is very much an astrologian ICly! Luckily they're not all that uncommon in Ishgard.

Yes and no? I main as a War but I don't mention that my character has any such training. She knows of rumors of people being far more skilled with the weapon she carries but at the same time she's not the type to go forward and expect to be the best of the best. :P She can defend those she cares about and keep herself alive in a fight. That's good enough.

Back when Kage first became an RP thought, Black mage was the only leveled class/job outside of archer. I came up with some backwards story, thinking about how perhaps the family of lalafell would be tied to the thaumaturgic arts and tomes.

PVE-wise, I mained black mage for raid until 3.0 but Kage was mainly a gladiator/sultansworn and then a hired axe-man. I was/am really good at BLM at 50. Above average at least but not raid world first but quite good.

But RP wise it just wasn't.

Now I've started to main Warrior, and coincidentally Kage is an axe man in RP. If plots hadn't gone the way they had, he might actually have still been a Sultansworn but Paladin would not be my PVE main. Warrior or Scholar would still be it.

I usually do rp my class in most games. When I build my character, I usually pick the class first and then build my backstory around the class from there. However, this game gives gives you a bit more leeway since we can do more than one class on a character, so I don't have their rp narrowed down to just one class.

One of my girls is a healer, but she is studying in all forms of healing, from stitches and bandaging to Conjury, Astrology, and Scholar. Anything to make her a better healer.

My other girl is a pirate mage/witch that favors Thaumaturgy, though being a pirate she is also well versed in fighting with blade (rogue), gun (machinist) and fists (pugilist). She's not a master in the melee arts by any means (because that would be overpowered!), but she does well enough to stay alive when unable to use magic.

Before I killed off Vyce, I was totally RPing a scholar/arcanist. ICly, Solmund is a Gladiator by class (before he came into fortune) but since I love the arcanist class so much, I gave him a couple easy spells he can use occasionally. Nothing super significant- sword and shield is still his comfort, with his fists coming second.

So, I RP GLD/PLD + PUG

but play SCH

It's nice seeing I'm not the only one that feels this way. I've actually been having trouble getting into RP as my character because I've had to 'redo' his backstory once I realized I was not a huge fan of casters in this game outside of healing. I'm narrowing down the field on what's aesthetically pleasing and works for my RP elements and hoping to eventually settle in and enjoy a character that feels cohesive to me.

:D

For me, White Mage is my mainest of mains, but even then, Arcanist is more of Nira's speed. The only part of Conjury she really applies is the offensive aspects of manipulating wind, rock, and water.

For Leih'a however, Machinist has kind of overtaken his identity. Sorta helps that even before the job was announced, he was a dead ringer for the Miqo'te they used in the promo material.

And for Luca? I use gladiator as a place-bo for her sword style. She incorporates a lot of fencing techniques as well as some iaijutsu, but I can't says he's strictly an actual 'Gladiator' by the game's definition of one.

Leih'a is really the only one who plays by the book in regards to this question.

I actually never did RP my picked up classes when I began the game and never intended to. During my character creation process I had the desire to handle multiple weapons, be a jack of all trades but a master of none. However, I did try keep my characters within their Disciples classes when it comes to wielding. (e.g. Elaris is stuck in the Disciples of War classes and Saeren is stuck in the Disciples of Magic.)

Whenever I'm asked if I learned such skills from this guild or that guild; I would tell them no but I do have a story behind their teachings and what not. I could identify with the classes for sure, but I would never identify with any of the jobs though if asked.