Patch 3.2 News and Previews - Feb 23! (Update Feb8)

Kage

Wait, where is there an example of a flying tortoise? Telluride's right, though: Every single Most mount in the game have an enemy counterpart.

Edit: Bomb thingy comes to mind, and the elemental ponies.

Double edit: That also didn't stop them from giving the 50+ minions attack animations and special qualities for Verminion.

Double edit and a half: People have been asking for other companions since they introduced the chocobo as a fighting buddy. No one asked for Verminion. It just seems like they're throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta agree - SE has to give us something different if they wish to keep us.

Thoughts:

* If a turtle can fly, let my griffin fight. Letting mounts other than the Chocos be our COMPANIONS is long, long, long overdue. If we throw ALL logic out the window because "aether" and "rule of cool", give me something more than just adding flight to one more existing mount.

There is no "all logic" being thrown out for a tortoise flying.

It's in the fucking game that there is a flying tortoise.

Per Companions fighting, they already said this shit in a live letter. If they do it for one companion they have to do it for -every single mount-. They have to make now more unique animations for -every single mount- to do battle with. It's not feasible for their team.

If you read one of the interviews you can see how poor their staff is. They can't even make new 60 fights for the level 50 primals because the only people on their staff who can are working on, get this brilliant idea, -future content-.

Talks about they don't have any designs to add lvl 60 versions of previous primals and such right now - says that while they have a lot of staff, not many of them can design battle content, and the ones who can are of course busy with new content. Jokes about needing to recruit more staff lol (so they are understaffed in the sense that they simply don't have a lot of the people who can actually make proper content - probably plenty of minor coders and artists and etc., but not a lot to balance content and choreograph fights and such)

What good will adding future content do if they don't fix the present content first? It's like adding a new engine to a ship with holes. It'll perform better, but it's still going to sink unless you fix the hull first. Team Fortress 2 is a bloody amazing example with how well balanced their game is; once that was perfected in gameplay, then made new content.

I don't have to read a live letter to assume and see FFXIV is going down the post-WotLK route--making new content to retain and regain their playerbase. What they write and what they implement are two very different things.

A spark of ingenuity is what revived FFXIV and made FFXIV:ARR. If FFXIV:HW wants to stay afloat and not bleed more consumers, Square needs a new spark of ingenuity. If they won't innovate, then they'll need a way to extract even more money out of the current loyal customers (white knights included) to offset the loss.

http://xivdb.com/item/12825/Stupendemys

"If a flying crystal-shelled tortoise cannot be seen as stupendous, nothing can."

“This rare tortoise’s ability of flight is granted by its fabulous shell made up of solid wind crystal. As long as the shell remains undamaged, the cloudkin will remain aloft; however, the moment even the smallest of scratches are suffered, it will plummet back to Hydaelyn.” -Stupendemys

People have been asking for a flying turtle mount and they did give it to us.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/246971-Letter-from-the-Producer-LIVE-Part-XXIII-Q-A-Update-Thread?p=3128932&viewfull=1#post3128932

Q62. Similar to the glamour system, can you make it so we can change the appearance of our companion chocobo to look like a different mount?

A62. We would have to create attacks and healing actions for every mount, so this would be difficult.

In regards to fighting companions, you realize that there are some people who will want entirely new ones to make their mounts 'special'? 'My drake needs to do more than just breathe fire.'

Someone can easily say that the OP wants a shiva egi with ice based spells and ice based enkindle. Or, the companion reskin needs new sounds, body slam animations from fat chocobo, fire breath from drake, etc.

You could even go a step further and say that the developers will not want to "half-ass" implementing something like this. If players want to see new models, they'll be getting all the bells and whistles to go along with it. (Or the developers can just say that and who are we to not believe them lol)

'My griffin is 5000x better than the regular mobs and it needs to be set apart.'

And calling out white knights are the most idiotic and nonsensical thing to do. If you want to 'constructively criticize' then I am just as allowed to defend or counter your opinions. Because that is all they are, opinions. If you want, you are free to join in any of the Official Forums threads to make your complaint heard. At least then your voice is actually heard. Or Reddit. You are also free to continue here, but again at least your voice will be heard there. Here I am free to defend what I like just as much as you are free to dislike and voice it.

No one asked for Verminion. It just seems like they're throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

Demonstrably false. People were constantly asking for Lords of Verminion ever since it got teased as an April fools joke.

The problem, as it seems to always be with MMO players, is that once they get what they want they realize that they didn't really want it. That's exactly what happened with LoV and exactly what happened with Diadem.

No one asked for Verminion. It just seems like they're throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

Demonstrably false. People were constantly asking for Lords of Verminion ever since it got teased as an April fools joke.

The problem, as it seems to always be with MMO players, is that once they get what they want they realize that they didn't really want it. That's exactly what happened with LoV and exactly what happened with Diadem.

Fair. I suppose we're getting an NPC dating sim next, after they reveal Vianga as the new race.

I don't know. I think flying turtle is dumb. Amusing, sure, but... Yes, a rocket-propelled adamantoise is the same thing as a wind-crystal-shelled fishing catch. I realize I'm nitpicking.

It feels like SE's design priorities are off kilter. The implementation of new relics is janky as hell, they keep adding in things that are side content (Anyone actually doing LoV? Or chocobo racing?) when people have been clamoring for adjustments to the PVE side of things since launch.

"People might ask us for more stuff, so we won't implement anything new" is a dumb thing to admit.

White knights are people who are loyal to a product and defend it to near-death despite its flaws; they're a type of "loyal customer."

Re-read that sentence again where I use the word white knight:

"If they won't innovate, then they'll need a way to extract even more money out of the current loyal customers (white knights included) to offset the loss."

It's used in a non-callout context. Were it truly a callout on your person or a specific group--which it is not--a moderation warning or note on the post would be observed. Nevertheless, the fact that simply mentioning "white knight" can trigger an unironic response is, in my opinion, quite hilarious and degrades the person's credibility responding.

More heavily trafficked websites are better for getting a complaint heard; that I'll concede. Instead of complaining, however, I'll be working on projects useful for a community rather than wasting time finding and reposting old information on different websites and complaining into a soundbox.

Meh, Square-Enix aren't exactly known for making good decisions nor even basing their decisions on things that make sense.

"We'll release DQXI in NA if DQ Heroes sells well." as a very sour personal example. Don't get me wrong. I fucking love DQ Heroes. However, why would people purchase a hack and slash spinoff just so they can MAYBE get the game they actually want later down the line?

I guess nobody complained about crafting specializations then. I mean, the skills are so useful that nobody ever uses them. Or Gathering collectables. Or PvE problems that aren't Alexander. Or PvP in general.

Like, official forums are essentially white noise. Nothing good can come of there and nobody wants their complaints mixed with that trash.

In so far as LoV/Chocobo Racing are concerned, they're minigames that, well, don't lead to anything substantial. The MGP you can get from them is kind of bleh, LoV is a genre of game that not a lot of people necessarily appreciate (doubly so because we did not actually get the Lord of Vermillion game here due to its' arcade only release), there's no tangible reward that's worth it by simply doing these games to get people on the fence actually in there.

At the moment, I'm looking at what they're doing this HW patch cycle and I'm having a hard time justifying the continued subscription and purchase of the next expansion.

Also the following quote :

But it is my hope for 2016 that we remember how it feels to be a new player, and I want to keep this in mind as we move forward together.

is a fucking joke and a half.

Not sure what to tell you there, this is how the game has been since launch and this is how most treadmill/vertical progression MMOs have been working for a long while.

As for the preview itself...I don't think we're fighting the entire Warring Triad. Likely we're fighting Fiend/Doom first (as pictured) and then we'll fight the other two in each patch after leading up to a battle against all three in some manner.

I for one am glad that some of the content is gonna be tied to the MSQ. I just hope the MSQ lasts longer than an hour this time.

It's always been this way, sure.

Doesn't mean that people can't or won't grow tired of it.

I really like the game and I'm trying my best to keep playing it, but I really wish that they would do something that doesn't feel like it's getting totally pointless.

You and I both. I've said on multiple occasions that the community is legitimately the only reason I play this game, anymore. I have friends, here and there, and I get good rp every now and then, but I'll be the first to admit the daily grind for tomestones is a mood-killer, and that the WoW Themepark MMORPG experience both saved and will inevitably kill this game.

Any time I hear them say, "We listened to feedback", I know it's just them lowering the costs of the old Tomestones so they can introduce new ones, lowering the difficulty on old raids so we can get to the new raids, etc. and really has nothing to do with us complaining about the system at all.

I imagine that the developers are more likely to listen to feedback if it's presented in a civil and responsible manner. I also suspect that quite a few of the more frustrated posters in this thread are simply tired of the genre as a whole rather than simply being weary of FFXIV. 

That's not to suggest that FFXIV is without flaws or that things should not change but negativity feeds off of negativity and little good comes out of people just venting about the game. If things become too stale? Take a break and do something else for a while! The game will still be here if and when you return...perhaps even with new content available if you wait long enough.

Compared to what the likes of WoW are offering, however, I think we get a pretty sweet deal when it comes to FFXIV.

There's flaws that need to be fixed - such as housing and the need for new forms of long lasting content - but I feel like people have been blowing the situation out of proportion and should wait at least until 3.2 before they claim that the game is truly declining.

I imagine that the developers are more likely to listen to feedback if it's presented in a civil and responsible manner. I also suspect that quite a few of the more frustrated posters in this thread are simply tired of the genre as a whole rather than simply being weary of FFXIV. 

I'm not sure this is accurate, considering that many people on these boards are excited for the likes of Blade and Soul and Black Desert.

Not to mention that, again, it's possible to like some portions of a game and not other portions. Liking something in its totality is not at all necessary, and only liking portions of something is a common and expected way to approach many facets of life.

I'm not sure this is accurate, considering that many people on these boards are excited for the likes of Blade and Soul and Black Desert.

Not to mention that, again, it's possible to like some portions of a game and not other portions. Liking something in its totality is not at all necessary, and only liking portions of something is a common and expected way to approach many facets of life.

Well, take this with a pinch of salt for obvious reasons but...in my experience quite a lot of people on sites such as this gush over whatever is the 'next big thing' and find themselves eager to invest in new MMO's. Then they realise that for whatever reason those games become stagnant in their eyes, too, and either go back to their previous MMO of choice or once again set their sights on the next big MMO.

As for liking some portions of the game and not others? Yeah, I'm the same way. I figured that went without saying though. Yet there's some posters who seem to be consistently negative about the game as a whole and rarely have anything pleasant to say...which ties in with my earlier point about negativity.

I imagine quite a few players - myself included - are eagerly awaiting the arrival of some meaty new content. Yet it's much, much more useful if feedback is presented in a civil and constructive manner through the appropriate resources. I'm sure if somebody wrote a well written feedback thread and shared it on this site or tumblr then it'd gain quite a bit of attention from other players.

Well, take this with a pinch of salt for obvious reasons but...in my experience quite a lot of people on sites such as this gush over whatever is the 'next big thing' and find themselves eager to invest in new MMO's. Then they realise that for whatever reason those games become stagnant in their eyes, too, and either go back to their previous MMO of choice or once again set their sights on the next big MMO.

As for liking some portions of the game and not others? Yeah, I'm the same way. I figured that went without saying though. Yet there's some posters who seem to be consistently negative about the game as a whole and rarely have anything pleasant to say...which ties in with my earlier point about negativity.

I imagine quite a few players - myself included - are eagerly awaiting the arrival of some meaty new content. Yet it's much, much more useful if feedback is presented in a civil and constructive manner through the appropriate resources. I'm sure if somebody wrote a well written feedback thread and shared it on this site or tumblr then it'd gain quite a bit of attention from other players.

I think it has less to do with behavior and more to do with money.

At this point, I can see half community in this site are happy with how this game is going, and the other half who are not happy with how its going.

There is barely any more information than what is being briefly said by Yoshi-P on that letter. He just kind of talked about the new Alexander and flying turtle but barely on what kind of gears or what he will change in 3.2. So why are people just jumping into conclusion as if they know what this man will do anyways?

I am as upset as everyone else with Relic but I just kind of shrugged atm and go slow at it. Not having an Anima won't kill me just yet.

There is barely any more information than what is being briefly said by Yoshi-P on that letter. He just kind of talked about the new Alexander and flying turtle but barely on what kind of gears or what he will change in 3.2. So why are people just jumping into conclusion as if they know what this man will do anyways?

Because 3.0, 3.1 and 3.15 weren't exactly stellar examples in our eyes.

And it's not just relic. Relic was the cherry on top of the HW in general.

Good thing I don't care enough about any of this to complain lol.

Nothing really catches me as game breaking save maybe farming new times, but that's to be expected iirc for an mmo.

In the end, I really don't see the astounding high expectations some people seem to have for this. It's like they were setting themselves up for a reality check.

To me it's less the farming than just how bad they've made certain aspects of the game.

In a sense, they say "We'll fix Alex!" when the problem isn't so much Alex as it is that there's literally nothing else to do PvE wise at 60. Just think, we'll get as much dungeons at 60 as 2.0... two patches in! And technically, that's not even true because some of them have iLevel locks!

Typically you'll get people to accept the grind easier if you dress it differently. They haven't done that yet and it's looking like they won't since they're too busy stacking up more stuff on top of the flimsy endgame.

Just think, we'll get as much dungeons at 60 as 2.0... two patches in! 

The last I remembered, the Wanderer's Palace and Amdapor Keep were the only things that kind of made you farm for mythology and those still had vague values to earn you weekly. 300 per week.

I am pretty sure 3.0 was slightly better comparing to 2.0, but I'll say that crafting is the only thing that was painful for lvl 60 in 3.0 comparing to crafting in 2.0.

Comparisons to 2.0 are a little bit slanted considering how much content was essentially copypasted from 1.0.

A handful of instanced dungeons and three primals, one of whom wouldn't be added until 2.1 or 2.2? There wasn't that much to do in 1.0 either.

I think the comparison to 2.0 makes HW feel flimsy because there was "more" to do. Hitting the cap at 50 presented you a relic quest, two different tomes to grind (because you sort of needed Darklight in order to effectively do primals and dungeons) and a heap of stuff to do all in order. 3.0 gave it to you piecemeal with Esoterics not being added until Alexander was, and there being no succession between content: You had one thing to grind on until a patch added more.