MAKEUP & BEAUTY - irl and in game! Share your likes :)

Hi everyone.

I saw the most recent discussion in IRL pictures thread about red lipsticks xD and it made me realize that I am totally not alone. I saw so many girls posting pictures with pretty lipstick shads on and I was curious about what brand and shade each one of them is!! So instead of replying to each picture in that thread and changing the topic of the original thread, I thought I should create a new thread :) After all I realize there are plenty of girls (and boys!!) who play ffxiv and have a love for make up and beauty products at the same time ^.^  This interest for me extends from irl to the game - like when i create my characters I ALWAYS, ALWAYS use face paint on the eyes and the cheeks just because I can modify the color and make them look like eye shadow and blush. 

So I think it would be interesting to open a thread to see if anyone is interested, we can talk about make up, lip colors, hairstyle, techniques, from irl to even how you like to make your character look a certain way :)

This is basically my first time posting other than in the welcome desk section. So I'm not sure what's the proper way of starting a discussion ^.^ But I am just going to throw questions out there as a start. So share with me

:moogle: What's your favorite fall/winter lip shade? If you don't have a specific one for the reason, what's your favorite shade at at all times?

:moogle: share the head shot of your character so we can see your creation of the beautiful features on their faces!

And I am going to answer my own questions as a start too 

- current favorites of fall/winter lip shades

:love: MAC Plumful (beautiful subtle plum color, with shiny finish. Not too scary but still very opaque with shiny finish ^.^)

:love: REVLON 440 Cherries In The Snow (one of my favorite lines in drugstore lipsticks already ,but also this color is the fuchsia of my dreams for deep yet bright reds during colder days!)

- my main suka's head shot (look out for the black eyeliner xD)

yzeLovw.png

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, hell yes. I love talking about girly stuff.

I currently don't have a headshot of my character, as I don't have access to the game at the moment, however... I CAN talk about make-up.

I have an odd skin-tone, it's very pale and it's neither warm or cool (though it leans more towards cool undertones), so a lot of lipsticks can look terrible on me. I tend to steer clear from really light/bright tones as my lips have a naturally dark pink hue, so when the colour begins to wear off, it looks awful. So I usually go for deep/dark reds and berries.

I have three favourite lipsticks:

-L'Absolou Rouge by Lancome (in BERRY NOIR)

-L'Absolou Rouge by Lancome (in JEZEBEL)

-Pure coloure Envy by Estee Lauder (in RED EGO)

I tend to lean towards Lancome for lipsticks, as their formula tends to be really creamy and light. These lipsticks are sliiiightly shimmery (the one by Estee Lauder being the glossier one) but I like to tone it down with translucent powder, as I usually dislike overly glossy lips.

/watches thread to experience what girl talk really is.

Oh, Aaron! So glad you joined us.

Let's talk about shoes, and nails, and make-up, and fashion and... BOYS!!! Let's talk about boys. I love talking about boys. And make-up. Did I mention perfume? I ilke perfume, haha! Kittens are so cute, omg puppies are sooo adorbs. I talked to this guy this other day and he was like staring at my chest ad I was like, "ew, totally gross" but he was kinda cute so idk! maybe I should date him? I like boys. Boys are kinda gross tho. Wearing high heels is SO hard. I was shopping in the mall at victoria's secret and this bitch Stacey like, glared at me, (like, a glare!) and she was a total bitch, her boyfriend is super hot though, I hope they break up! Shoes! My boobs hurt. I want chocolate ice cream. I want cake, but I don;t want to get fat!! Do you like sparkly stuff? I think it's like, so tacky, sparkly stuff is like totally tacky. Did I mention kittens were cute? I love kittens, my friend has this super cute kitten, to bad I don't hang out with her because she's a total skank, omg are my letters getting smaller, weeeird~~~

There. Take it. That's it.

tumblr_inline_o0m8wjBSLw1r4olk8_540.jpg

M-Make it go away already.

Oh come on, it isn't THAT bad!

Though I may be biased since the majority of my friends have always been women.  And for some reason I'm considered "one of the girls" with them.  And I've been the victim target subject of their practicing applying makeup on others in our youth (and I was pretty, dangit!).

Anyway, to contribute to the topic, on the occasion that I have a female character, I prefer more subtle tones of makeup.  It depends on skin tone, hair and eye colors, complexion and a few other factors, but I usually try to get a cute almost natural look rather than anything flashy (not that I have anything against flashy).

Aaaactually, I shpuld maybe approach this thread woth a question.

Steel is definitely not a makeup wearing kinda gal, but my other Roelady altess, Cass, would definitely be one to wear makeup as she used to do bodyguard work for a noble house and so would have likely worn makeup on several occasions.

She has a rich, cocoa/milky chocolate complexion. Pretty warm in color I believe, though will have to edit or reply with a headshot later. Her skintone provided a bit of a unique challenge to my eye when considering makeup...do I go with something that would maybe follow her natural color or do I do something in a contrasting super deep red or purple/blue?

Steel is definitely not a makeup wearing kinda gal, but my other Roelady altess, Cass, would definitely be one to wear makeup as she used to do bodyguard work for a noble house and so would have likely worn makeup on several occasions.

She has a rich, cocoa/milky chocolate complexion. Pretty warm in color I believe, though will have to edit or reply with a headshot later. Her skintone provided a bit of a unique challenge to my eye when considering makeup...do I go with something that would maybe follow her natural color or do I do something in a contrasting super deep red or purple/blue?

If she has warm tones, then colors on the warm side (reds, oranges, yellows, browns, golds, etc) should look better on her than cool colors.

I'm actually petty picky about my cosmetics now that I think about it.

If it's not Bare Minerals it doesn't go on my face. Liquid foundation scares me and mineral foundation just looks more natural to me.

I like Urban Decay eyeshadows. Half Baked is seriously one of the best neutral shades ever created.

My face primer, eye primer, eyeliner and Mascara are currently Benefit. 

Perfume is Chanel Chance.

I am not picky about lip glosses at all because I always lose the damn things and find them a year later in a car compartment/sofa/coat pocket etc.

And...this is all my cosmetics.

I'm too lazy to post a headshot.

I don't have a favorite lip color.  Just not my big focus.  But I did manage to get my greedy mits on the Tarte Tartelette 2 "In Bloom" palette and I have to say, it's a slam dunk.

I have been eyeing that omg! What stops me is that it's yet another pretty nude/neutral eye shadow palette, which I really shouldn't get another one cause at some point they all start to look similar. But then I ask myself, can you really have too many neutral shades? Not really...xD are they bendable? I really have never tried any powder products from tarte other than the blushes which I love.

Oh, hell yes. I love talking about girly stuff.

I currently don't have a headshot of my character, as I don't have access to the game at the moment, however... I CAN talk about make-up.

I have an odd skin-tone, it's very pale and it's neither warm or cool (though it leans more towards cool undertones), so a lot of lipsticks can look terrible on me. I tend to steer clear from really light/bright tones as my lips have a naturally dark pink hue, so when the colour begins to wear off, it looks awful. So I usually go for deep/dark reds and berries.

I have three favourite lipsticks:

-L'Absolou Rouge by Lancome (in BERRY NOIR)

-L'Absolou Rouge by Lancome (in JEZEBEL)

-Pure coloure Envy by Estee Lauder (in RED EGO)

I tend to lean towards Lancome for lipsticks, as their formula tends to be really creamy and light. These lipsticks are sliiiightly shimmery (the one by Estee Lauder being the glossier one) but I like to tone it down with translucent powder, as I usually dislike overly glossy lips.

lol i have done that too - put powder on top of lip colors. I usually use the laura mercier translucent one cause it's not heavy and makes it look mattttee! ;)

And ah I have got to checkout those lipsticks! I am actually a bit jealous about your natural dark pink lip color cause for me, no lip color = no lip color. My natural lip color is PALE PINK, VERY PALE. So if I don't at least put on a tinted lipblam or anything it could look like I'm under the weather that day..!

tumblr_inline_o0m8wjBSLw1r4olk8_540.jpg

M-Make it go away already.

Oh come on, it isn't THAT bad!

Though I may be biased since the majority of my friends have always been women.  And for some reason I'm considered "one of the girls" with them.  And I've been the victim target subject of their practicing applying makeup on others in our youth (and I was pretty, dangit!).

Anyway, to contribute to the topic, on the occasion that I have a female character, I prefer more subtle tones of makeup.  It depends on skin tone, hair and eye colors, complexion and a few other factors, but I usually try to get a cute almost natural look rather than anything flashy (not that I have anything against flashy).

Thank you! Maybe Aaron just secretly wants to as cool as we are but he's shy to say so, so instead he becomes part of the community by being a jerk >_> just kd Aaron. xD

But yeah, the neutral shades are the best at times heheheh it's called "no makeup makeup look" - I know, I know..

If she has warm tones, then colors on the warm side (reds, oranges, yellows, browns, golds, etc) should look better on her than cool colors.

Agreed.I am very pale but is still on the warm side, and cool tone shades always look a bit off on me. If she has a milky chocolate complexion, then deep warm colors like burgundy/browns/golds would look very good on her! 

I want to see the headshot! xD I have always had characters with pale skin but maybe I'll switch sides next time to see how it looks like hehe

If it's not Bare Minerals it doesn't go on my face. Liquid foundation scares me and mineral foundation just looks more natural to me.

I like Urban Decay eyeshadows. Half Baked is seriously one of the best neutral shades ever created.

I am not picky about lip glosses at all because I always lose the damn things and find them a year later in a car compartment/sofa/coat pocket etc.

did you buy half baked on its own or did it come with the naked 1 palette? Curious as in if it's worth it to just get it by itself or not..

And bare mineral was how I started lol I remember when I got the face combo of the mineral powders and the little brushes they come with (i think i still have it altho I was like 5 something years ago) loll I go back to it some times cause I got a backup of the original mineral foundation a couple month ago but I do like liquid foundations cause I can just use my hands sometimes and it offers more coverage for me xD)

And on the last note, yeah, I feel you. I constantly find my lip products in bags that I haven't used for weeks, under my car seat, in my glove compartment, once I've found it in the drawer of my old places where I put cleaning supplies (sponges, etc) and I have no idea how it got there.:dodgy:

HEADSHOT RAWR!

ffxiv_01192016_163641.png

This is Cass. I am trying to level her up in order to get her to wear pretty things. T_T But yea, that's what I'm working with. I really like her complexion and her hair feels both styled and workman-like...so if I were to dress her or apply makeup to her, it'd probably stay in that same sort of region. A sort of "resolute finery" sort of style, if that makes any kind of sense.

Smashbox - Legendary is my latest favorite lipstick, though since my skin has gone into hate-mode .... I pretty much stopped wearing any makeup. I like Urban Decay's palettes well enough, and Tarte has this concealer that I adore. Benefit's erase paste is another favorite due to its ability to make my under-eyes go from 'are you sick?' to 'wow you look rested!'

Still, women who achieve that sort of photoshop finish are like wizards to me. I'm decent enough with makeup to achieve results I'm happy with (average, I guess?), but the shading and such some people do is magic and no one can tell me otherwise. It's face-art. Magic.

What I've been dabbling with a lot more recently is skin care stuff, because HI ECZEMA. This has lead to playing around with scented skin creams (though, at this point in time, more as gifts for others than for myself), and my next step will be making lotions (again, more for other people since my skin is not fond of most preservatives), and then perfumes. I'm planning on some Hawaiian flowers perfumes for mother's day (my mom grew up in Hawaii and so my goal is to recreate some of that smell that blasts you in the face when you step off the plane), with a focus on plumeria, tuberose, jasmine and puakenikeni.

Scent is just as fun as makeup. It's like rubbing/spraying dead plant matter (and sometimes dead animal matter or simulated dead animal matter, lol animal fixatives) on yourself and then scribbling on your face!! Best ever.

Hello from someone who did competitive ballroom dancing for a year and a half and still hasn't gotten out of the makeup habit!

In general, Too Faced and Urban Decay are like. My magic happy brands. The UD Vice 4 and the TF Grand Chateau palettes are my faves for eyeshadow right now (And BOY lemme tell you even though it's already on wicked sale V4 was worth every penny at full price) I'm also a recent fan of MakeupGeek's pans, in part because my mother links me WAY too many Jaclyn Hill videos.

And as far as lipstick, I'm pretty easy, my go-to shades range from UD Manic to MAC Plastique. But I just gotta say... Too Faced just released a new color called Unicorn Tears right before the holiday season... and oh. My. God. Can you say blue/pink duochrome frost? It's such a weird color and kinda hard to match with outfits but WOW it is gorgeous and creamy, and it even manages to look good against my kinda olive-y skin tone. (Pale blues are usually not a good look for me, but this one has enough pink in it that it works out!)

...Wow, I got REALLY excited there.

did you buy half baked on its own or did it come with the naked 1 palette? Curious as in if it's worth it to just get it by itself or not..

And bare mineral was how I started lol I remember when I got the face combo of the mineral powders and the little brushes they come with (i think i still have it altho I was like 5 something years ago) loll I go back to it some times cause I got a backup of the original mineral foundation a couple month ago but I do like liquid foundations cause I can just use my hands sometimes and it offers more coverage for me xD)

And on the last note, yeah, I feel you. I constantly find my lip products in bags that I haven't used for weeks, under my car seat, in my glove compartment, once I've found it in the drawer of my old places where I put cleaning supplies (sponges, etc) and I have no idea how it got there.:dodgy:

I'd buy half baked in the palette or in the single. It's seriously that good but I have a fair complexion so your mileage may vary. It's good for everything from evenings to work at the office.

I actually have pretty sensitive skin and medicate for rosacea. I take care of it and have a good dermatologist so my skin is clear and smooth but I would never cake liquid foundation on it cause of the sensitivity.

I can't wear powder foundations, or cream-to-powder, because I have really dry skin and I end up with visible patches all over my face (I tried the Pur Minerals starter kit and it was a no-go, so I gave it to a co-worker).

So what I have is a mix... I guess I should just get to it. xD

Currently using Boots No.7 moisturizers for very dry skin, and they are lovely.

Favorite face primer is the Too Faced Hangover Rx primer. It's AMAZING for anyone with dry skin.

Eye primer is the Smashbox 24 Hour Photo Finish Shadow Primer (I got it for $10 on sale at Ulta!).

I have three foundations that I love - the Maybelline Fit Me Dewy & Smooth in 110 Porcelain, Too Faced Born This Way foundation in Porcelain, and the L'Oreal True Match Lumi Cushion foundation in N2. All three work really well with my dry skin.

I've heard so much about the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Dark Circles Eraser, but it really doesn't do anything for me. I find I get better results from using the Nyx Dark Circle Corrector with my Real Techniques sponge, and then layering over the Fit Me concealer and blending that out, too.

I tried baking, I really did. It was...a nightmare. o_o My skin is too dry I think.

I use the Elf High Definition Undereye Setting Powder for under my eyes, and it's super cheap. :S I love that. I'm trying out the Lorac POREfection baked powder, but I don't know if I like it better than my Fit Me powder. Jury's still out.

As far as eye shadows go, my currently favorite is the Tarte Tartelette In Bloom palette that I got for Christmas from a relative. The mattes are soooo easy to blend it's amazing. My other palettes include the Naked 2 (first serious palette I ever got, I'm cool toned so I like the cooler colors in this palette a lot), the Too Faced Natural Eyes, the Tarte Energy Noire Limited Edition palette, and I got the Ulta-exclusive Tarte Holiday set this year from my mom (I forget the name, but it was $49 and a really good deal - three palettes with blushes, plus a lip pencil and a mini Lights Cameras Lashes mascara).

I also have the Lorac Pro Palette, which I purchased over the holidays after hearing so many good things about it. Buuuut...okay so the primer made the skin around my lashline burn, then harden, then peel off. It was weeeeird. The shadows themselves don't seem to inspire that reaction, but I dunno. I just don't think they're as amazing as all the hype. I honestly like my Naked 2 or Tartelette in Bloom a lot better. :|

Favorite mascara right now is the Tarte Lights, Cameras, Lashes mascara - love this stuff! But I have also tried the Benefit Roller Lash mascara, and that's really good, too.

Favorite highlighter is currently the Balm's Mary-Lou Manizer, and current favorite bronzer is the Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil bronzer.

Favorite lip products is honestly a tie between Too Faced's Melted lipstick in Melted Chihuahua and the Colourpop lippie stick in Lumiere (was a collab with KathleenLights).

Does anyone else subscribe to Boxycharm? We got a Coastal Scents palette in this month's box, along with this weird tubal mascara by Blinc (that I'm semi-scared to try after reading reviews on instagram), a felt-tip eyeliner and some brushes. I was subscribed to Ipsy, but I cancelled it for Boxycharm because the value is so much better. I've gotten a clay mask, ridiculously expensive eye serum, nail polish, blushes, multiple eye liners, highlighters, etc.

Smashbox - Legendary is my latest favorite lipstick, though since my skin has gone into hate-mode .... I pretty much stopped wearing any makeup. I like Urban Decay's palettes well enough, and Tarte has this concealer that I adore. Benefit's erase paste is another favorite due to its ability to make my under-eyes go from 'are you sick?' to 'wow you look rested!'

I've been meaning to try the Benefit Erase Paste for a while. I keep hearing really good things about it. I've also been seeing things about the new UD-Gwen Stefani collection/collab and some of the lipsticks look amazing.

What I've been dabbling with a lot more recently is skin care stuff, because HI ECZEMA. This has lead to playing around with scented skin creams (though, at this point in time, more as gifts for others than for myself), and my next step will be making lotions (again, more for other people since my skin is not fond of most preservatives), and then perfumes. I'm planning on some Hawaiian flowers perfumes for mother's day (my mom grew up in Hawaii and so my goal is to recreate some of that smell that blasts you in the face when you step off the plane), with a focus on plumeria, tuberose, jasmine and puakenikeni.

Scent is just as fun as makeup. It's like rubbing/spraying dead plant matter (and sometimes dead animal matter or simulated dead animal matter, lol animal fixatives) on yourself and then scribbling on your face!! Best ever.

I have eczema on the back of my neck, and the only thing that really works for me is coconut oil. I know it sounds crazy, but it calms it right down when it flares up.

I have eczema on the back of my neck, and the only thing that really works for me is coconut oil. I know it sounds crazy, but it calms it right down when it flares up.

Moisturizer wise, coconut oil dries me out (sadly, I love the stuff) and nothing else really soothes my eczema (it's more about not irritating it and keeping it from cracking/bleeding); I'm on steroids at the moment (dermatologist is likely going to switch me though; it helps but the triggers remain) and have an appointment with an allergist to see if I've developed new sensitivities. Shea butter, illipe, rosehip, beeswax, arrowroot powder and vitamin e oil is my current mix, though who knows if that's got a trigger in it. It feels nice going on though.

I had wanted the UD-Gwen Stefani! Looks fun. :)