You Know You Overthink RP When....

Steel Wolf

..you make the physical actions in real life corresponding to the actions you do in game just to make sure you're describing it correctly.

...you research "*insert trope* role play" on google to try and pick some ideas from other places.

...you spend hours looking for the right character theme to play during role play so you can properly get into that roles mindset.

...you spend 5+ minutes after someone's dialogue during role play just thinking "How would my character word what I want to say?"

..you stay awake for several hours after you're supposed to go to bed because you have this awesome idea for a story and don't want to forget it. (Never mind that you have work the next day)

...you make macros of witty/ interesting things you want to make sure you do/say during an RP session in the hopes that the other person will notice that it's witty/interesting.

This thread has highlighted how neurotic and particular I really am about RP...I have some problems.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..you make the physical actions in real life corresponding to the actions you do in game just to make sure you're describing it correctly.

...you research "*insert trope* role play" on google to try and pick some ideas from other places.

...you spend hours looking for the right character theme to play during role play so you can properly get into that roles mindset.

...you spend 5+ minutes after someone's dialogue during role play just thinking "How would my character word what I want to say?"

..you stay awake for several hours after you're supposed to go to bed because you have this awesome idea for a story and don't want to forget it. (Never mind that you have work the next day)

...you make macros of witty/ interesting things you want to make sure you do/say during an RP session in the hopes that the other person will notice that it's witty/interesting.

This thread has highlighted how neurotic and particular I really am about RP...I have some problems.

Definitely guilty of the bolded. I'll also add that I personally say what my character does (and mimic -how- they say), at times, to make sure it sounds "natural."

... you RP a herbalist sort of character, realise you know nothing about that, and your "quick research so you can pull it off" turns into a (so far) 10 pages long document on the healing lore of herbs and gems/minerals, particularly those actually found ingame.

... you draw your character(s) at least 50 times (if you can draw), because dang it, they don't look perfect yet.

... you have a folder of 220+ images labled 'aesthetics' that you don't really use for anything other than browsing through when considering character-related things.

... you make up about a dozen random little stories about crap that happened to your character growing up, because it makes them a bit more three-dimensional to you. Not important little stories, nothing that's written down anywhere. But you know that when Bob The Miqo'te was 8, he slipped on a rock, hit his head, and had to spend a week in bed.

Definitely guilty of the bolded. I'll also add that I personally say what my character does (and mimic -how- they say), at times, to make sure it sounds "natural."

To be honest I was a little self conscious posting the first one. I seriously thought I was the only one who did that. I'm not alone in my weirdness!

... you have a folder of 220+ images labled 'aesthetics' that you don't really use for anything other than browsing through when considering character-related things.

Oh thank Hydaelyn I am not the only one who does this.  I usually do this while listening to character playlists too.  It's like audio-visual submersion.

Also ...

... when you spend an entire weekend deep diving into the research on the shamanistic practices of multiple cultures in an attempt to draw connections to their extremely rare and almost nonexistent presence in game.

To be honest I was a little self conscious posting the first one. I seriously thought I was the only one who did that. I'm not alone in my weirdness!

I, uh, do that too. Especially if I'm emoting fight scenes - trying to figure out if the motion I want to have my character do is properly fluid. And I've even changed up some of my actions when I felt that I couldn't properly replicate the motion.

... I may or may not have tossed myself onto my bed once or twice to figure out how a tossed/airborne character could land, too. :blush:

I, uh, do that too. Especially if I'm emoting fight scenes - trying to figure out if the motion I want to have my character do is properly fluid. And I've even changed up some of my actions when I felt that I couldn't properly replicate the motion.

... I may or may not have tossed myself onto my bed once or twice to figure out how a tossed/airborne character could land, too. :blush:

My fiancee occasionally catches me making faces or gesturing strangely at my laptop and laughs at me. But then I see her doing it too a few minutes later and we laugh together because wow, we're nerds.

I'm also guilty of going to Google/Wiki to "look up one thing" and then getting lost in it for like 4-6 hours because stuff is interesting and I've gotten 120% sidetracked from my original intent.

My fiancee occasionally catches me making faces or gesturing strangely at my laptop and laughs at me. But then I see her doing it too a few minutes later and we laugh together because wow, we're nerds.

I'm also guilty of going to Google/Wiki to "look up one thing" and then getting lost in it for like 4-6 hours because stuff is interesting and I've gotten 120% sidetracked from my original intent.

This is literally me.

Also...

... when you are completely incapable of writing an outright bad guy because you believe good and evil are subjective, and shades of gray morality is fun to insert because it messes with people's heads.

... you make a huge character planning sheet and spend hours researching aspects of that character, even taking personality tests from your character's perspective in order to better understand your character's psychology.

... you get so wrapped up in playing your character and seeing through your character's eyes that you start to have dreams about them.

... you think about the characters who have been in that character's life (NPC-types) that influenced the way your character is.

... fuss over unique character traits and personality traits that level them out so they're not a "special snowflake."

... when you are completely incapable of writing an outright bad guy because you believe good and evil are subjective, and shades of gray morality is fun to insert because it messes with people's heads.

---

... you think about the characters who have been in that character's life (NPC-types) that influenced the way your character is.

... fuss over unique character traits and personality traits that level them out so they're not a "special snowflake."

Oh gosh, these ones I do so much. Though the last one I've stepped aside from. I now constantly make fun of my character and refer to her as a special snowflake queen so that I sound super cool and self-aware about my dork catgirl.

---

Oh gosh, these ones I do so much. Though the last one I've stepped aside from. I now constantly make fun of my character and refer to her as a special snowflake queen so that I sound super cool and self-aware about my dork catgirl.

I'm kind of the opposite. I take my character planning and development way too seriously, I guess. Since writing is something I want to do as a career, making balanced characters is something I stress out to the point that I sometimes second-guess my character development.

Most have been stated, I am certainly guilty of a few.

- "Growing" her hair out.

- I will level for outfit options. I once had a friend help me get my Goldsmith to 60 because I wanted to make a dress out of the top and wear it to a wedding >.>;;

- I also got most of my crafting up so I could make my own items, because must have all the pretties.

- I have thought way too long about various outfit combos.

- I have music playlists for each of my characters and a few couple ones.

- My partner and I share music/media that make us think of the characters  (Like the dorks we are xD)

And I like to sit certainly places and think. Like Ritsu likes to sit out in Costa on the cliff. Chi likes to sit near the boco stables in Ul'dah and people watch xD

Most have been stated, I am certainly guilty of a few.

- "Growing" her hair out.

- I will level for outfit options. I once had a friend help me get my Goldsmith to 60 because I wanted to make a dress out of the top and wear it to a wedding >.>;;

- I also got most of my crafting up so I could make my own items, because must have all the pretties.

- I have thought way too long about various outfit combos.

- I have music playlists for each of my characters and a few couple ones.

- My partner and I share music/media that make us think of the characters  (Like the dorks we are xD)

And I like to sit certainly places and think. Like Ritsu likes to sit out in Costa on the cliff. Chi likes to sit near the boco stables in Ul'dah and people watch xD

...I am guilty of every single one of these. /rip