IC interactions with the REAL WoL?

Are Limit Breaks like Canon or are they just a game mechanic? I never got a conclusive answer on that in game.

Even then, one could view a LB as just a fancy move. Doesn't have to be a Bahamut slaying attack.

But I digress, my view on it is if you want to say Thancred is your boyfriend go ahead, not like Aaron would care anyway IC.

Gotta people confuse capacity to care versus actually caring. Sure I can say no you are not Thancreds liver IC, but will that do anything even if you are to me? No. So why care?

tbh, Val would probably just ask who the hell Thancred is and laugh at them. 

"If yer his woman, why ain' I ever see ya together?"

Prove it 8-)

You know that was so well put I can't even say anything in defense Lmfao.

"...he's in Canada! You don't see him 'cause he's in Canada!"

Good ol' coerthas boyfriend. Hmhm.

"So yer datin' some guy what ya can't see an' he's all up in th'cold snugglin' some other lady fer warmth?"

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having met the WoL or any major NPC is troublesome? In my opinion, no.

Having the chance to interact with them, the world, or having your character perhaps making small contributions, maybe behind-the-scenes even, does not automatically put a character a station above in importance. And even if it does, really, does it matter that one's character is more "important" than yours? You are the one who assigns the degree of importance they may have to the world. You may choose your character to be another measly inhabitant, a bartender, a fisher maybe, or decide they have a higher call and bigger power to influence a little the world one lives in.

Of course, as with everything, it all depends on how one RP'er runs with the theme. Also, as always, it is up to the other RP'er to accept a connection like that or not. You can't force it down to their throat.

But once more, is there an issue? As long as you are sensible about it, to me, not at all.

I don't really see this argument as altogether conducive. Yeah, it's something people can do, but should they? You could say "you make that choice" to pretty much anything to justify it, but it doesn't make it necessarily justifiable. Yeah, you could RP your character in XIV shooting kamehameha-like chi beams and doing limit breaks because, hey, it's in the game. But should you?

Last I recall someone using an IC limit break, they got laughed at. This same argument should, then, be applied to them.

I personally do not like the word "should" being used in this context, to be honest. Feels like we're assigning strict rules to how one should RP, when in reality, it is not like that. 

People can make their characters shooting elixir fields left and right, people can make their characters pull a limit break out of their asses. It is -your- job to accept it or not. Like it is their job to simply accept that you don't conform to their RP. Your freedom ends where others begins.

One crowd may have laughed at someone using an IC limit break. Another crowd would perhaps accept it. Whose of the two are more correct? Personally, I would say the ones who accepted it, because at least they didn't make a mockery of the individual. Of course, as I stated in the previous post, one should be sensible when pulling things like that, of preference within a group they know and trust.

So they should, in case they want? Yes. What they can't is expect everyone to accept it.

Having the chance to interact with them, the world, or having your character perhaps making small contributions, maybe behind-the-scenes even, does not automatically put a character a station above in importance. And even if it does, really, does it matter that one's character is more "important" than yours? You are the one who assigns the degree of importance they may have to the world. You may choose your character to be another measly inhabitant, a bartender, a fisher maybe, or decide they have a higher call and bigger power to influence a little the world one lives in.

Of course, as with everything, it all depends on how one RP'er runs with the theme. Also, as always, it is up to the other RP'er to accept a connection like that or not. You can't force it down to their throat.

But once more, is there an issue? As long as you are sensible about it, to me, not at all.

I don't really see this argument as altogether conducive. Yeah, it's something people can do, but should they? You could say "you make that choice" to pretty much anything to justify it, but it doesn't make it necessarily justifiable. Yeah, you could RP your character in XIV shooting kamehameha-like chi beams and doing limit breaks because, hey, it's in the game. But should you?

Last I recall someone using an IC limit break, they got laughed at. This same argument should, then, be applied to them.

I personally do not like the word "should" being used in this context, to be honest. Feels like we're assigning strict rules to how one should RP, when in reality, it is not like that. 

People can make their characters shooting elixir fields left and right, people can make their characters pull a limit break out of their asses. It is -your- job to accept it or not. Like it is their job to simply accept that you don't conform to their RP. Your freedom ends where others begins.

One crowd may have laughed at someone using an IC limit break. Another crowd would perhaps accept it. Whose of the two are more correct? Personally, I would say the ones who accepted it, because at least they didn't make a mockery of the individual. Of course, as I stated in the previous post, one should be sensible when pulling things like that, of preference within a group they know and trust.

So they should, in case they want? Yes. What they can't is expect everyone to accept it.

Did you ever have that friend who just made up lies and bullshit? His dad worked at Nintendo so he already had Pokemon Purple, and he had a PS2 when they got announced but it was at his uncle's house so you couldn't play it, but man, it's awesome?

Nobody likes that friend. Even as an adult, when someone's constantly talking about the crazy party they totally went to or all the hot people they definitely slept with, and no, they're not on Facebook and I didn't take pictures or anything, but trust me, it totally was real and not at all made up, that shit gets annoying. People who are confusing famous identities for interesting characters are, for a lot of people, the RP equivalent to that person. "I'm besties with Raubahn, and I have my own army of police to protect me."

"Should" is the watchword, and it isn't trying to enforce hard world rules on anyone: It's just prudence so we don't get bitch threads about why no one wants to RP with their quadrupal-souled older brother to Merlwyb who is a secret because they're also a werewolf/vampire/angel hybrid. No one ever said "don't do this" but a lot of people are aware how that thing usually goes over.

Did you ever have that friend who just made up lies and bullshit? His dad worked at Nintendo so he already had Pokemon Purple, and he had a PS2 when they got announced but it was at his uncle's house so you couldn't play it, but man, it's awesome?

Nobody likes that friend. Even as an adult, when someone's constantly talking about the crazy party they totally went to or all the hot people they definitely slept with, and no, they're not on Facebook and I didn't take pictures or anything, but trust me, it totally was real and not at all made up, that shit gets annoying. People who are confusing famous identities for interesting characters are, for a lot of people, the RP equivalent to that person. "I'm besties with Raubahn, and I have my own army of police to protect me."

"Should" is the watchword, and it isn't trying to enforce hard world rules on anyone: It's just prudence so we don't get bitch threads about why no one wants to RP with their quadrupal-souled older brother to Merlwyb who is a secret because they're also a werewolf/vampire/angel hybrid. No one ever said "don't do this" but a lot of people are aware how that thing usually goes over.

Pretty much exactly what Warren said. I don't want to police anyone, to each their own. But there's only so many times I can hear about so-and-so having drinks with Merlwyb while also hanging out with others while everyone else is claiming to be dating X NPC. Do you know how many people RP themselves dating popular NPCs? They don't generally go around the public RP community because I think a part of them realizes it wouldn't be accepted and wouldn't happen. I know one NPC in particular that I've seen no less than six girls claiming to simultaneously date him. IC. Val would be jealous.

And it's because of that that people need to keep in mind when trying to claim these popular things. Ultimately, somewhere, the world is going to break by people putting themselves in the place of/involved with/around popular NPCs. Stories are going to conflict. How many people are claiming to have killed primals in their backstories? Separately? Those things must be summoned on a daily basis.

I know that type of friend all too well :/

Told me he had a ferrari but it was at the shop for a paint job.

It's two months later.

They're painting it with single strands of unicorn hair, man, you have to be patient.

The main issue I find is consistency, in the sense that the WoL less of an individual and more a character concept that's totally fluid in appearance and mannerisms. It would be easy to call Derplander the "canon" WoL (and judging by the MSQ, the possibility of an actual canon WoL or group of WoL outside of our character does exist) but all it does is make me scratch my head. It'd kind of be like roleplaying as The Last Dragonborn in Skyrim, you know? Everyone has such a different version that regardless of what interacting with the WoL does, the lack of consistency makes it a real hedge of thorns to sort through.

Pretty much exactly what Warren said. I don't want to police anyone, to each their own. But there's only so many times I can hear about so-and-so having drinks with Merlwyb while also hanging out with others while everyone else is claiming to be dating X NPC. Do you know how many people RP themselves dating popular NPCs? They don't generally go around the public RP community because I think a part of them realizes it wouldn't be accepted and wouldn't happen. I know one NPC in particular that I've seen no less than six girls claiming to simultaneously date him. IC. Val would be jealous.

And it's because of that that people need to keep in mind when trying to claim these popular things. Ultimately, somewhere, the world is going to break by people putting themselves in the place of/involved with/around popular NPCs. Stories are going to conflict. How many people are claiming to have killed primals in their backstories? Separately? Those things must be summoned on a daily basis.

Which is why to me it is always a question of being sensible. You can tell and I admit that I tend to be quite liberal in terms of RPing. Give me a believable excuse as for how, and I will roll with it. Likewise, give me a believable excuse as for how your character is somehow connected to Merlwyb that does not make my brain throw off alarms, and not use this as a excuse/make question to remember it every single time, and you won't see me looking at you like a weirdo.

Ain't saying no, more like, do it if you may, but moderation and caution in what you do, and find the right crowd.

I know one NPC in particular that I've seen no less than six girls claiming to simultaneously date him. IC. Val would be jealous.

To be fair, having a one night stand with Thancred isn't very exclusive based on how they show him in 2.0 That's about as exclusive at being at the steps of faith, or the battle of Cartenau.

He gets around.

I know one NPC in particular that I've seen no less than six girls claiming to simultaneously date him. IC. Val would be jealous.

To be fair, having a one night stand with Thancred isn't very exclusive based on how they show him in 2.0 That's about as exclusive at being at the steps of faith, or the battle of Cartenau.

He gets around.

Truth. Thancred is the resident casanova.

Aymeric far better husbando no one touches him he's mine.

He gets around.

Wasn't Thancred ;)

How many people are claiming to have killed primals in their backstories? Separately? Those things must be summoned on a daily basis.

You say that jokingly, but the game suggests that they're being summoned quite a bit -- all part of the Ascian plan, you see. That's a discussion for another thread, though.

I don't think it's helpful to the argument against having relationships with canonical NPCs to equivocate things that can absolutely exist in the setting but that have a power level you dislike (fighting primals and limit breaks) with people essentially taking over others' characters and asking other RPers to hew to their interpretation of how those NPCs act -- which is exactly what RPing that you're besties with a canonical NPC is doing. Ultimately, that's the reason why having connections to canonical NPCs rubs people the wrong way. It's seizing control of part of the setting.

To tie this back to the WoL, it's even worse with him (her?) because of the position the WoL holds in the story. The WoL is every character and no character. We see the WoL as our character in the cutscenes and the other NPCs do as well; the trailers and other media have this hyur guy standing in as the WoL (maybe, perhaps, we assume). It's impossible to pin down anything about the WoL other than the consequences of the events in which he/she participates. Add that to all the other problems with getting involved with canonical NPCs and it just turns into a big mess.

How many people are claiming to have killed primals in their backstories? Separately? Those things must be summoned on a daily basis.

You say that jokingly, but the game suggests that they're being summoned quite a bit -- all part of the Ascian plan, you see. That's a discussion for another thread, though.

The WoL is every character and no character. We see the WoL as our character in the cutscenes and the other NPCs do as well;

Which is why I brought up the Primal stuff to begin with. Do we see anyone else taking them out fine? With just eight people? "My character did it in the game" isn't really a valid excuse as your character, for all intents and purposes, is the warrior of light--a level that shouldn't be reachable by actual RP characters. 

As for Primals being summoned constantly, sure. I can see in the game where multiple primals are being summoned, but is there anything directly saying that Ifrit is constantly being summoned over and over again to justify all the people that claim to have beaten Ifrit in their back story?

Kind of like how I knew a guy in WoW that claimed to kill Onyxia by himself because his game character could.

As for Primals being summoned constantly, sure. I can see in the game where multiple primals are being summoned, but is there anything directly saying that Ifrit is constantly being summoned over and over again to justify all the people that claim to have beaten Ifrit in their back story?

The FATEs where you're stopping beast tribes from grabbing crystals or putting down people who've been tempered/drowned/etc. While in my (PERSONAL) canon of the world primals aren't summoned every other day, they do happen more we see (I'm thinking once every couple months myself - and the EX versions at that!). Also it's mentioned (somewhere, sorry don't have the quote) that it's the job of some soldiers (in the Flames I believe?) to put down those who've been tempered. So you can assume from there that it's happening at least enough to dedicate some of the already thinly stretched resources specifically to that.

The FATEs where you're stopping beast tribes from grabbing crystals or putting down people who've been tempered/drowned/etc. While in my (PERSONAL) canon of the world primals aren't summoned every other day, they do happen more we see (I'm thinking once every couple months myself - and the EX versions at that!). Also it's mentioned (somewhere, sorry don't have the quote) that it's the job of some soldiers (in the Flames I believe?) to put down those who've been tempered. So you can assume from there that it's happening at least enough to dedicate some of the already thinly stretched resources specifically to that.

So if the super powered primals are summoned stronger than they were before, why isn't the Warrior of Light doubling back to take them out since apparently he was the "only one" that could do it before? 

I openly admit it's nitpicky, but these are the type of inconsistencies that kind of turn me off of claiming to beat them. You have tons of RPers, and I know at least ten+ that are saying they personally fought them on their own (at the Warrior of Light's side/whatever). With game mechanics being game mechanics and EX primals clearly made for that purpose, with SE's crappy "Oh btw this is the reason why this happens" one-line excuses, it makes it a little dodgy to me =)

I'd get behind someone working with the Grand Companies to stop the tempering more than anything, myself.

And really, again, I'm not trying to tell people what they can and can't RP. If someone ever mentions it to Val, he just shrugs it off with, "Nah too much work, don't care," and I let them do their thing.

Kind of like how I knew a guy in WoW that claimed to kill Onyxia by himself because his game character could.

Nope, it's not like that at all. You're equating Onyxia (a singular named NPC) with a Primal, which is by lore an entity that can, in fact, be summoned repeatedly, that multiple groups know how to summon repeatedly, and that a group of entities are actively trying to spread the knowledge of how to summon to serve their ends. Onyxia and a Primal aren't even remotely the same thing.

If Primals are only summoned extremely rarely, then:

• Why is there a register of people who have successfully faced down Ifrit and not been Tempered? (SMN quest line)
  • Why do the Scions kill Tempered soldiers in a largely blase way, as if this were a duty to which they were accustomed? (MSQ, post-Ifrit)
  • How do you have a regular supply of Tempered, Drowned, and Touched? (FATEs, backstory of the Serpent Reavers)
  • Why do the Amalj'aa keep kidnapping people to Temper them and why do they have a place specifically to keep them? (S. Thanalan FATEs and map)
  • Why is crystal theft by beast tribes a common issue? (MSQ, 2.1, and a bunch of FATEs)
  • Why does the Immortal Flames have a problem with their numbers being drained by repeated battles with Ifrit and his followers? (MSQ, 2.1)

I could go on. :)

Regardless, I think we definitely disagree on the level of expertise and ability of adventurers, or at least the level of power primals represent, and that's fine. There's a wide range of power represented in adventurers in the spectrum of RP. :) I don't feel that your average primal summoning is WoL material; the WoL is only called in for the Big Deals. More importantly, I don't feel the WoL is that much more powerful than a skilled and talented adventurer. The WoL is in the right place at the right time, has powerful friends, and happens to possess two very useful things (the Blessing of Light and the Echo).

At any rate, it's largely immaterial for this discussion because, again, RPing someone with significant martial prowess doesn't inherently screw over other RPers. IMO, it's poor form to make a character whose only characteristic is their martial power, sure, but that's not what we're talking about. Seizing control of an NPC does screw over other RPers, and that's why it's problematic -- and that, among other reasons, is why being buddies with the WoL (or any named NPC) is a bad idea.

Nope, it's not like that at all. You're equating Onyxia (a singular named NPC) with a Primal, which is by lore an entity that can, in fact, be summoned repeatedly, that multiple groups know how to summon repeatedly, and that a group of entities are actively trying to spread the knowledge of how to summon to serve their ends. Onyxia and a Primal aren't even remotely the same thing.

If Primals are only summoned extremely rarely, then:

• Why is there a register of people who have successfully faced down Ifrit and not been Tempered? (SMN quest line)
  • Why do the Scions kill Tempered soldiers in a largely blase way, as if this were a duty to which they were accustomed? (MSQ, post-Ifrit)
  • How do you have a regular supply of Tempered, Drowned, and Touched? (FATEs, backstory of the Serpent Reavers)
  • Why do the Amalj'aa keep kidnapping people to Temper them and why do they have a place specifically to keep them? (S. Thanalan FATEs and map)
  • Why is crystal theft by beast tribes a common issue? (MSQ, 2.1, and a bunch of FATEs)
  • Why does the Immortal Flames have a problem with their numbers being drained by repeated battles with Ifrit and his followers? (MSQ, 2.1)

I could go on. :)

Regardless, I think we definitely disagree on the level of expertise and ability of adventurers, or at least the level of power primals represent, and that's fine. There's a wide range of power represented in adventurers in the spectrum of RP. :) I don't feel that your average primal summoning is WoL material; the WoL is only called in for the Big Deals. More importantly, I don't feel the WoL is that much more powerful than a skilled and talented adventurer. The WoL is in the right place at the right time, has powerful friends, and happens to possess two very useful things (the Blessing of Light and the Echo).

At any rate, it's largely immaterial for this discussion because, again, RPing someone with significant martial prowess doesn't inherently screw over other RPers. IMO, it's poor form to make a character whose only characteristic is their martial power, sure, but that's not what we're talking about. Seizing control of an NPC does screw over other RPers, and that's why it's problematic -- and that, among other reasons, is why being buddies with the WoL (or any named NPC) is a bad idea.

I do agree on this. There were primals before the WoL showed up, and after they left for Ishgard. Life goes on and somehow they are taken care of. The first few battles are supposed to have been very bloody in the lore, but as people learned more about them they've gotten better at dealing with them.

More importantly, I don't feel the WoL is that much more powerful than a skilled and talented adventurer. The WoL is in the right place at the right time, has powerful friends, and happens to possess two very useful things (the Blessing of Light and the Echo).

It would also explain why the WoL is dumber than a sack of shit.

If we wanna be super nitpicky about Primals, we can say the original three story Primals are summoned in their Ex forms once a week: There is a Rowena weekly to kill them once a week for their summoners' bloody totems, after all. (And it isn't a "relive the experience" weekly like the WoD trio or anything from the Minstrel.)

Using FATEs to decide lore is somewhat silly if only because it means that all of the super dangerous Ixals out in Coerthas are immortal as hell, given that they've died hundreds, if not thousands of times. Every single FATE involving a named enemy is the same way.

Pretty much this. FATEs are nothing more than an extension of game mechanics with SE's signature "this is why this works" design implemented into it. Again, I'm not going to say don't follow it if that's where you get your lore from, but I can't say I agree with it either.

In pretty much every community I've ever RPed in, sans this one, game events/mechanics/characters/whatever were pretty taboo to touch (on a personal level, at least). It's just something that I've come to be used to over time!

I feel like the whole FATE thing falls within the purview of "could, but should?" Mostly because it would mean that Lightning events were real aside from a shitty attempt to promote their awful games.

RPing FATES can be pretty fun. Our group likes to venture certain areas and take part in the ones that seem regular, like escorting someone who is being attacked does happen out in the world. The areas that have the least activity are best suited.

But this is another topic entirely. Just because it's a mechanic doesn't mean it's dismissively non-canon. I had this argument with someone who said Levemetes aren't real, and neither are certain swords because they're "impractical and don't suit the universe". Well, they're there, they're purchasable from vendors. I say they're as canon as Hildebrand.

Well, in terms of the named Ixal ones, we have magical healing. Perhaps they get taken from the field and healed when they fall? Even if we dismiss those particular FATEs as impossible to repeat, it doesn't necessarily follow that no FATE represents a recurring issue. In fact, a great many FATEs appear to represent recurring problems, whether animals overrunning an area, Garleans testing new war machines, or people needing escort through dangerous areas.

As for levemetes, it's important that they be canon, because levequests are the whole basis of the adventuring economy in Eorzea. Individuals or groups go to the Adventurers' Guild or nearest levemete and commission a leve to take care of some problem that they're having, and the levemete hands it via leveplate to an appropriately authorized adventurer who completes the task. Upon verification and turning in the leveplate, the levemete pays the adventurer.

I come from a school of RP (which runs all the way back to EQ :) ) where the world is integrated into the RP. If the world says, "hey, around here, coeurls tend to run amok" through a FATE, then that's the case. If it says, "there's this story about this mysterious woman from some other reality," then yep, that's true too. There's a famous investigator named Hildibrand, rocs periodically assault Camp Dragonhead, and yes, some pink-haired woman was allegedly teleporting around and being reported on by the various newspapers (which apparently only target the rich and adventurers :?). If SE says, "this is why this works," then that's how it works, and that's that. I accept it because that's the stated lore, even if I don't agree with it .

That's just my perspective, though, and I know not everyone agrees. I suppose my larger point is that both schools of thought exist in the RP community...

...but we can all agree that being close personal friends with a canon NPC is really, really bad idea. Doubly so if that NPC is intentionally ill-defined, like the WoL. :)

I think their frequency is something to be skeptical of, but nevertheless FATES are canon lore and could be taken as an example of events that may occasionally happen or regularly occur in the region.

If SE says, "this is why this works," then that's how it works, and that's that. I accept it because that's the stated lore, even if I don't agree with it .

I can definitely agree with most of what was said. What I can't agree with, and honestly just won't pay attention to, is agreeing with lore from a company that is determined to come up with dumb, in-game reasons as to why they have particular game mechanics. There's a whole plethora of examples with this in many FF games to date, and I've echoed this sentiment a million times over, but it's just something they do. I will never acknowledge that someone fought alongside Lightning in a FATE or that she was ever even there to begin with. Some of the smaller FATEs? Sure, those at least make sense. But some others, like the Lightning one? Naaaah. That just opens the flood gates for people to be time travelers/dimension hoppers themselves, and no thank you.