IC interactions with the REAL WoL?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More headtwisting:

The trailers obviously can't reference -our- characters to the midlander is the stand-in. WoD is his antithesis, and is represented as the bad clone of him, since they can't just make him appear as a copy of us. (Well, they -can- but that would give away a lot more of the story than I think they want to right now.)

Yes but there are other similarities, like his companions. Instead of the Scions the WoL has their party of characters with Job stones.

My theory is that after Bahamut's fall, the cutscene WoL had a drastically different path that lead to their disillusionment with Hydalyn. 

You as a player are never described as looking similar to the WoL, and you're never supposed to have traveled with anything like his adventuring party. I think we might find that you as a player, and the scions, have been misled this entire time by Hydalyn.

Mistake on our parts. MIDLANDER, not highlander. I have since edited my post.

I think it's entirely plausible that the main character of 2.x/3.x is still the main character of 1.x (qualifying as both a Warrior of Light and as as a Twelvesblade) while still being a distinct individual from Derplander.

That would be... fairly awesome, actually. We've used Midlander as the WoL-stand-in for so long that it's assumed, but what if he's not? He was jumped forward at Carteneau with the rest of us, and we just assumed he was the stand-in. The trailers for Coil all featured him, and he's on the box-art.

This is interesting to think about, and plays heavily on the meta.

On the topic of derplander...

Him and the rest of his companions we see in all the CGI trailers are completely different characters to *the* WoL, our PCs. We even see them in an Echo flashback in 3.1, and since then they have turned emo since their encounter with the Ascian. We will soon learn more about them further into the 3.xx series.

Here is proof that Derplander and his companions are different characters to ours.

CGI http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/d/dd/Heroes_Party_CG.png/revision/latest?cb=20130411060643

3.1 story http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/finalfantasy/images/b/b0/FFXIV_Warriors_Of_Darkness_In_Game.png/revision/latest?cb=20151114192944

I really hate stressing this out but they are not you, your character. Your character is the WoL for the Scions and does not have a canon look. Derplander, the mascot, is not your character. Why do they use a hyur male that looks like him in the ingame trailers? Well they need a stand-in for our character, and even then that hyur is not the same hyur as Derplander. Different hair colour, eye colour, a moustache, he is the default look for the male midlander. Many games do this for their ingame videos.

Sorry for being off topic. The point is, Derplander and his companions from the CGI trailers = Different WoLs, not related to ours. They may be like ours, but they're not.

That would be... fairly awesome, actually. We've used Midlander as the WoL-stand-in for so long that it's assumed, but what if he's not? He was jumped forward at Carteneau with the rest of us, and we just assumed he was the stand-in. The trailers for Coil all featured him, and he's on the box-art.

This is interesting to think about, and plays heavily on the meta.

Well remember, there were lots of 'Warriors of Light' in 1.0

All of the legacy chars were 'one of' the WoL if they took part in the final battle. However /The/ warrior of light in 2.0, the person used as a mascot for the GCs and Scions to bring hope, is just you. But you're not the only one who was transported away that day~

Personally I've always found this sort of thing to be one of the most selfish things any role-player can do with their character. Granted, there's nothing stopping anybody from doing it but many role-players will no doubt react poorly to it and seek to distance themselves from whoever embraces such a plot point.

Touching upon any major NPC outside of fan-fiction is dodgy because it essentially places one's character on a pretty lofty pedestal far above many others. Even if one strives to play their character as influential and well connected...that can easily be achieved without claiming to have brushed shoulders with major lore figures.

In my experience it's the sort of thing that just encourages a rather dubious arms race or for a character to be given an unwarranted amount of IC and OOC attention. Again, though, ultimately people can do what they want - they just need to accept that if they take liberties then they'll be called out on those liberties if they're too bold.

I personally don't activity seek out meeting major NPCs just 'cuz unless the scenario calls for it somehow but was mostly thinking along the leans of participating in certain events that the WoL may of happened to be apparent of as well such as:

The Grand Melee. Of course, if you fought against the WoL personally, you would of lost. Be thing again, that probably goes against role play etiquette, doesn't it?

There were plenty of people at that event, on both sides. Participating is as tricky as you want it to be; As Freelance mentioned, the in-game representation could just be scaled down, and tons of people could have been there. Otherwise, you'd need to be extremely high ranking in a GC. Taking part in it doesn't mean you ever clashed, though.

It is very hard to interact with THE  WOL if only because you have to choose a gender, race and appearance that won't mesh with everyone's perceptions of what they think the WOL is. Along with the power creep that comes from being "that important"

However I do say I disagree with staying away from any and all named NPC's. You can be a flame and have to answer to Tarupin's orders. A Dragoon most likely has to write up reports that would be directly addressed to Aymeric. Any Sultansworn could have passing interactions with the Sultana.

What I am trying to get at...if you are part of an organization with military leaders, the moment you play something higher than say a sergeant,  you have to answer to your named superiors. 

Orrin may not be Estinien's friend, but he definitely could have been on the same battlefields.

Jana's already fought alongside the WoL.

24ea73c6d6.png

It's canon now, so y'all can go home.

I play Jana as a well-connected adventurer with the Echo so it's entirely possible she'd have met the WoL at some point, but I also play her as having turned down the Scions' invitation at the start of 2.0 so it's entirely possible she would have avoid him/her/them. And while I have put Jana at some big story events, they're the big battles with lots of room for lots of characters: Operation Archon, Steps of Faith, etc. Anything that would have had room for only 1 person or small group like Final Coil isn't something Jana could have been at (though some well-enough connected adventurers may have knowledge of those events, despite (or in spite of) the Grand Companies suppressing them).

Having met the WoL or any major NPC is troublesome? In my opinion, no.

Having the chance to interact with them, the world, or having your character perhaps making small contributions, maybe behind-the-scenes even, does not automatically put a character a station above in importance. And even if it does, really, does it matter that one's character is more "important" than yours? You are the one who assigns the degree of importance they may have to the world. You may choose your character to be another measly inhabitant, a bartender, a fisher maybe, or decide they have a higher call and bigger power to influence a little the world one lives in.

Of course, as with everything, it all depends on how one RP'er runs with the theme. Also, as always, it is up to the other RP'er to accept a connection like that or not. You can't force it down to their throat.

But once more, is there an issue? As long as you are sensible about it, to me, not at all.

Having the chance to interact with them, the world, or having your character perhaps making small contributions, maybe behind-the-scenes even, does not automatically put a character a station above in importance. And even if it does, really, does it matter that one's character is more "important" than yours? You are the one who assigns the degree of importance they may have to the world. You may choose your character to be another measly inhabitant, a bartender, a fisher maybe, or decide they have a higher call and bigger power to influence a little the world one lives in.

Of course, as with everything, it all depends on how one RP'er runs with the theme. Also, as always, it is up to the other RP'er to accept a connection like that or not. You can't force it down to their throat.

But once more, is there an issue? As long as you are sensible about it, to me, not at all.

It's an example of the folks residing at the extreme ends of the opinions being the loudest parts. Having GC leaders or powerful allies on speed-dial or on a first-name basis can potentially derail roleplay unnecessarily. Show of hands, how many people have ever had someone threaten them with NPC Brass Blades / law enforcement / personal GC NPCs / my dad works at Raubahn so you have to listen to me?

Probably not a lot, but we've all heard the stories of the person declaring themselves important and using it in the middle of a scene, or of floods of invisible guards suddenly stopping tension. There's a lot of people -not- doing just this, but the few who do tend to ruin it for everyone else.

It's an example of the folks residing at the extreme ends of the opinions being the loudest parts. Having GC leaders or powerful allies on speed-dial or on a first-name basis can potentially derail roleplay unnecessarily. Show of hands, how many people have ever had someone threaten them with NPC Brass Blades / law enforcement / personal GC NPCs / my dad works at Raubahn so you have to listen to me?

Probably not a lot, but we've all heard the stories of the person declaring themselves important and using it in the middle of a scene, or of floods of invisible guards suddenly stopping tension. There's a lot of people -not- doing just this, but the few who do tend to ruin it for everyone else.

I know someone that actively RPs their character as best friends with Merlwyb. As in, they got hurt and Merlwyb was pushing them around Limsa in a wheelchair.

I don't really see this argument as altogether conducive. Yeah, it's something people can do, but should they? You could say "you make that choice" to pretty much anything to justify it, but it doesn't make it necessarily justifiable. Yeah, you could RP your character in XIV shooting kamehameha-like chi beams and doing limit breaks because, hey, it's in the game. But should you?

Last I recall someone using an IC limit break, they got laughed at. This same argument should, then, be applied to them.

Care Limit Breaks like Canon or are they just a game mechanic? I never got a conclusive answer on that in game.

Even then, one could view a LB as just a fancy move. Doesn't have to be a Bahamut slaying attack.

But I digress, my view on it is if you want to say Thancred is your boyfriend go ahead, not like Aaron would care anyway IC.

Lotta people confuse capacity to care versus actually caring. Sure I can say no you are not Thancreds lover IC, but will that do anything even if you are to me? No. So why care?

Are Limit Breaks like Canon or are they just a game mechanic? I never got a conclusive answer on that in game.

Even then, one could view a LB as just a fancy move. Doesn't have to be a Bahamut slaying attack.

But I digress, my view on it is if you want to say Thancred is your boyfriend go ahead, not like Aaron would care anyway IC.

Gotta people confuse capacity to care versus actually caring. Sure I can say no you are not Thancreds liver IC, but will that do anything even if you are to me? No. So why care?

tbh, Val would probably just ask who the hell Thancred is and laugh at them. 

"If yer his woman, why ain' I ever see ya together?"

Prove it 8-)

He was pretty good in bed, power bottom mostly, but I remember he didn't say much?

Anyways...if you are gonna connect yourself to MSQ, I always think it is best to choose the most innocuous character to connect to, ie not the WoL, the Scions, or the City-State commanders/leaders/royalty, except in cases of them being far down the totem pole as to interact with them in daily business with your job/class maybe.

Are Limit Breaks like Canon or are they just a game mechanic? I never got a conclusive answer on that in game.

Gotta people confuse capacity to care versus actually caring. Sure I can say no you are not Thancreds liver IC, but will that do anything even if you are to me? No. So why care?

Prove it 8-)

You know that was so well put I can't even say anything in defense Lmfao.

Care Limit Breaks like Canon or are they just a game mechanic? I never got a conclusive answer on that in game.

This is my opinion and estimation but a Limit Break is just an in-game mechanic you see across all the Final Fantasies. I've seen people describing their characters going ham as 'Limit Breaking' but they are using it as a descriptor.

If you're actually RPing out combat then you're beholden to whatever rules you're using for the combat. If it's free form and I'm having people slaughtering NPC's or something and they "Limit Break" and type out something cool then that's fine but I don't think it makes LB's canon.

In a more specific sense, if you mean the actual LB animations (Scholar Hawk, Dragoon Dragon, Astro Light show etc) I don't personally know of a character I play with that's powerful enough to actually cast one.

Honestly, If I was in a position where I needed a super attack or heal like that, I'd rather write out my own unique one than copy the animation. /shrug

Prove it 8-)

You know that was so well put I can't even say anything in defense Lmfao.

"...he's in Canada! You don't see him 'cause he's in Canada!"

Good ol' coerthas boyfriend. Hmhm.