IC interactions with the REAL WoL?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A delicious can of worms.

Doing anything alongside the WoL would imply a level of approachable power to what he can do. Meeting him seems easily enough explained since he goes everywhere and is attached to every major development in the past few years, but being on his friend list is probably a bit more limited to majority of us.

My biases are well documented on this sort of thing.

As a general rule, I avoid having my character interact with any canonical NPCs including The Warrior of Light, which I think is a good rule of thumb because:

• It prevents accidental or intentional assertions of authority by proximity ("I'm the Elder Seedseer's student, so if you cross me, she'll know!")
  • It protects you again changes in lore or NPC behavior between patches (imagine if you were one of Moenbryda's friends -- and how you'd deal with people in different parts of the MSQ)
  • It doesn't potentially put your character in the middle of the MSQ events, many of which can only be done by one person or one group of people, and it's generally best not to assert such things in RP

I mean, I suppose a character could have seen the WoL at some point, or perhaps exchanged a few pleasantries, but given that the WoL is the Strong Silent Type, I don't see that as a particularly beneficial thing in RP. Participating in certain events that the WoL was part of, such as Operation Archon, the Battle of Carteneau, or the battle at the Steps of Faith is a lot more reasonable, IMO, since those involved lots of people and your character would've just been one of many involved.

Well, if your character had ties to any of the Grand Companies and/or Ishgard and was regarded as good enough to take on the Melee...

...then you are on the level of Raubahn, his son, or the other elite-looking captains in the GC Elite gear. Quite the claim.

/not that it's not okay or anything, it's just a bold claim

Well, if your character had ties to any of the Grand Companies and/or Ishgard and was regarded as good enough to take on the Melee...

...then you are on the level of Raubahn, his son, or the other elite-looking captains in the GC Elite gear. Quite the claim.

I get the impression that the fight was actually a little bigger than represented. 

Either way, It's ok to be cool! I don't think it's a problem if a character has done cool stuff, or been around cool people. It's just if they claim to have /influenced/ them.

The game's limited in the number of people it can represent. :) The impression I got was that it was a pretty large military exercise, not a small skirmish. Personally, I wouldn't have any problem with someone saying they were involved in the Grand Melee.

Wouldn't get involved, though it would be impossible to have avoided him/her this whole time. Since we don't know canonly what the WoL looks like, they could be anyone our characters have passed by by now.

As for interacting with them, my character has not. In the event that he has, he would be extremely vague about the identity to avoid the whole "I've met the WoL and know what they look like!" attention.

Personally I've always found this sort of thing to be one of the most selfish things any role-player can do with their character. Granted, there's nothing stopping anybody from doing it but many role-players will no doubt react poorly to it and seek to distance themselves from whoever embraces such a plot point.

Touching upon any major NPC outside of fan-fiction is dodgy because it essentially places one's character on a pretty lofty pedestal far above many others. Even if one strives to play their character as influential and well connected...that can easily be achieved without claiming to have brushed shoulders with major lore figures.

In my experience it's the sort of thing that just encourages a rather dubious arms race or for a character to be given an unwarranted amount of IC and OOC attention. Again, though, ultimately people can do what they want - they just need to accept that if they take liberties then they'll be called out on those liberties if they're too bold.

Personally I've always found this sort of thing to be one of the most selfish things any role-player can do with their character.

Kind of in the same boat here, really. It's generally rule of thumb to not be involved with any major NPCs even remotely. You can do it, but most people probably wouldn't really care to acknowledge it or get involved. As Warren said earlier, it would imply your character has some sort of special power/ability/is strong/special enough to be recognized by them rather than just being a citizen of the world. It goes along with fighting primals (although in XIV that's actually a thing), claiming to have killed the Garlean leader, being important enough for the Garlean leader to order your capture, owning Frostmourne, being Sylvanas' long-lost sister/best friend, or hanging out with Kirito.

Yeah, I've seen all of these.

This is interesting.

What do you all do when MSQ events necessitate knowledge of the WoL?

For example... You wouldn't need to be too high up in Ul'dah to know that the WoL was involved in that fiasco at the end of 2.55. Or that the WoL was involved in the very public Ishgardian fiasco at the end of 3.1.

There's a lot of MSQ events that even if your character isn't part of it... they really would've heard about them.

Yeah, you can refer to him as just 'the Warrior of Light', but if your partner isn't conscientious and has their character ask you what they look like...

Just weird. It's a pickle. At this point in time, with all the High profile things the WoL has done everyone should really know what they look like.... A Miqo'te... an Au Ra... whatever they are, our characters should really know, but to be respectful we have to have them feign ignorance.

This is interesting.

What do you all do when MSQ events necessitate knowledge of the WoL?

For example... You wouldn't need to be too high up in Ul'dah to know that the WoL was involved in that fiasco at the end of 2.55. Or that the WoL was involved in the very public Ishgardian fiasco at the end of 3.1.

There's a lot of MSQ events that even if your character isn't part of it... they really would've heard about them.

Yeah, you can refer to him as just 'the Warrior of Light', but if your partner isn't conscientious and has their character ask you what they look like...

Just weird. It's a pickle. At this point in time, with all the High profile things the WoL has done everyone should really know what they look like.... A Miqo'te... an Au Ra... whatever they are, our characters should really know, but to be respectful we have to have them feign ignorance.

Well, canonically, he's the highlander guy. :)

The way I handle this is either my character hears about them through the rumor grapevine and therefore the details, if any, get muddied ("Hey, there was this big scene up in Ishgard where some dragon showed up!") or hasn't heard about them at all. A lot of people put a lot of effort into manipulating the public perception of events in the end of 2.x.

Oh, and since fighting Primals was mentioned, I'll just say that not everyone agrees with Val's assessment, and those interested in the arguments on either side may find the search function instructive. :)

I also treat the "canon" Warrior of Light as the midlander from all of the cutscenes and trailers, which makes it confusing when Warrior of Darkness looks how he does.

Knowing about him? Absolutely. Him knowing about you? That's an entirely different situation.

On top of this, we have people RPing on Balmung AS the canon Warrior of Light, which makes it even more complicated to figure out.

objection.jpg?t=1457617439548&width=625

This has actually been called into question since 3.1 MSQ. There's a strong correlation between the Warrior of Darkness and the midlander gentleman we've been following since early 1.0 cutscenes. Even his allies correspond to said cutscenes - Lalafell White Mage, Roegadyn Paladin, etc. It's entirely possible that "Derplander" is, instead, a failed Warrior of Light through canonical alternate universe / time travel shenanigans... unless we are positing that the canonical Warrior of Light looks identical to the Warrior of Darkness, which is not the case (if it was, the Archons would have pointed it out).

I'm actually REALLY sad that he is not actually the main character (I mean, he is technically, but we don't see him), like, it'd be cool to have him actually in the game doing all the cool stuff and my 'WoL!character' just as like, a friend to him or something/be support character MSQ wise. TIRED OF BEING FORCED TO BE SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE IN GAMES MAIN STORIES. 

This has actually been called into question since 3.1 MSQ. There's a strong correlation between the Warrior of Darkness and the highlander gentleman we've been following since early 1.0 cutscenes. Even his allies correspond to said cutscenes - Lalafell White Mage, Roegadyn Paladin, etc. It's entirely possible that "Derplander" is, instead, a failed Warrior of Light through canonical alternate universe / time travel shenanigans... unless we are positing that the canonical Warrior of Light looks identical to the Warrior of Darkness, which is not the case (if it was, the Archons would have pointed it out).

O-oh... well...

/endofkindofunrelatedresponse

Uh, as far as the topic, I agree with the main points of most posts, aka: 1) Do what you have the most fun with/you're free to play how and who you want, 2) don't expect too many people to want to associate if you do go WoL, but don't let that stop you if you really want to [just don't force people to respond to you or godmod], 3) fap in private.

objection.jpg?t=1457617439548&width=625

This has actually been called into question since 3.1 MSQ. There's a strong correlation between the Warrior of Darkness and the highlander gentleman we've been following since early 1.0 cutscenes. Even his allies correspond to said cutscenes - Lalafell White Mage, Roegadyn Paladin, etc. It's entirely possible that "Derplander" is, instead, a failed Warrior of Light through canonical alternate universe / time travel shenanigans... unless we are positing that the canonical Warrior of Light looks identical to the Warrior of Darkness, which is not the case (if it was, the Archons would have pointed it out).

I also think this is the case. I think the version we have seen all this time in cutscenes is a similar character from a different 'world' who has come to a different conclusion.

They seem to think that it is Hydalyn who is the villain. If it's true, and we've been watching our nemesis this whole time, that is some masterful foreshadowing and trickery by SE.

I withdraw my statement of canon, then, to say only that the canonical WoL may, or may not, be someone who looks like that highlander. :)

In all seriousness, the alternate universe concept is an interesting idea, especially given the 3.2 revelations and how much we know the devs like FF III. In terms of the structure of the narrative, we know at least that from MCKF's perspective, we are all, and all not, the WoL; we're the WoL of our own stories, essentially. Given that, this is all the more reason to avoid referencing the WoL at all. It's not hard to dodge your way out of it, even if you're playing a well-connected adventurer.

More headtwisting:

The trailers obviously can't reference -our- characters to the midlander is the stand-in. WoD is his antithesis, and is represented as the bad clone of him, since they can't just make him appear as a copy of us. (Well, they -can- but that would give away a lot more of the story than I think they want to right now.)