Rogue One: Cannot Unsee

Oh no, I admit there was a lot of good stuff. BUT you have to admit there was plenty of crap too is all I was saying.

Well, at least we know we're not getting a Young Jedi series of preternaturally perfect kids defeating adults.

>.>

Welp, guess I can stop judging others' taste. I -liked- some of those books growing up.

Besides, those kids grew up to fuck up the rest of the EU, so it kind of balances out right? Like...bringing balance...to the force...

Or something.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no, I admit there was a lot of good stuff. BUT you have to admit there was plenty of crap too is all I was saying.

Well, at least we know we're not getting a Young Jedi series of preternaturally perfect kids defeating adults.

>.>

Welp, guess I can stop judging others' taste. I -liked- some of those books growing up.

Besides, those kids grew up to fuck up the rest of the EU, so it kind of balances out right? Like...bringing balance...to the force...

Or something.

You aren't allowed, Marti. You aren't allowed. :evil:

I was interested in the EU for quite some time and owned a few novels and info books on EU related things as a child, but by the time of the Vong I'd lost interest. They just seemed so out of place.

I'm in the corner going, "THAT'S NO DEATH STAR, SON. THAT'S A STAR FORGE."

Oh fuck, you're right. That sure as hell was the same kind of sun-powered shenanigans the Infinite Empire used, innit it? Damn good thing the First Order were obligingly cartoonishly-evil enough to go "let's power a GALAXY GUN with it" instead of use it to churn out hundreds of thousands of capital ships in about a month and swarm the Republic instead.

Not that the Galaxy Gun plan helped the Republic any better...

I'm in the corner going, "THAT'S NO DEATH STAR, SON.  THAT'S A STAR FORGE."

Oh fuck, you're right. That sure as hell was the same kind of sun-powered shenanigans the Infinite Empire used, innit it? Damn good thing the First Order were obligingly cartoonishly-evil enough to go "let's power a GALAXY GUN with it" instead of use it to churn out hundreds of thousands of capital ships in about a month and swarm the Republic instead.

Well I mean, it was a good enough plan for Sheev like four times in the films and EU.

I'm in the corner going, "THAT'S NO DEATH STAR, SON. THAT'S A STAR FORGE."

That's exactly what it was. That's why I was pointing at the screen going, "OMG OMG! REVAN!" >.>

There's a lot of really good shit in the EU, it was just marred by some bad writing. But Disney has the opportunity to grab some of the most riveting stories that were told in the EU and put them on screen.

Also, anyone who bitches about the film having a female lead is not a real SW fan. Because if they were, they'd know that the EU is riddled with incredibly powerful women who changed the entire galaxy through their deeds. That we don't see them in the first 6 films is more an artifact of the time in which those films were made, not a testament to how the Star Wars universe "has always worked." If it was, women like Bastila Shan, Satele Shan, Nomi Sunrider, Mara Jade, Jaina Solo, Aurra Sing, Darth Traya/Kreia, Asajj Ventress, Ahsoka Tano, and Meetra Surik never would have existed.

And I challenge anyone to present me with a movie-era saber jockey they think can beat Satele in her prime. She Force Hadoukens people into mountains.

And technically Ahsoka isn't considered EU because the Clone Wars movie/show are both accepted in the new canon.

True, and for that matter, neither is Ventress (she's mentioned in Clone Wars, iirc).

I'm truly curious what's going to happen in Rogue One (and at the end of Rebels, too).

Me, my vote is on a total party wipe. There have been like eight different (often conflicting) stories on how the Rebels got the Death Star plans. Except for that Kyle Katarn schmuck, not one of them had a happy ending.

But on the other hand, I don't actually believe that Disney would do a movie that dark, especially for a holiday release, even if the basis of the movie and the setting are asking for it.

I'm still also a little peeved it's not a Rogue Squadron movie.

Me, my vote is on a total party wipe. There have been like eight different (often conflicting) stories on how the Rebels got the Death Star plans. Except for that Kyle Katarn schmuck, not one of them had a happy ending.

But on the other hand, I don't actually believe that Disney would do a movie that dark, especially for a holiday release, even if the basis of the movie and the setting are asking for it.

I'm still also a little peeved it's not a Rogue Squadron movie.

I think people forget that a lot of the time, the good guys didn't win in the Star Wars stories. Sometimes they did - really important times they did. But a lot of the small things...nope. Everyone died. People fell. Bonds were made and broken. People lost parents, Masters, spouses, children, etc. Star Wars is dark as hell.

It really is, and people sadly forget that. The main six movies just show the space opera side of Star Wars. People were shocked by things like Republic Commando and the Dark Forces games showing a darker, grittier universe, but that's sort of the reality of the setting when you look at places like Jakku and Tattooine were there's abject poverty, thousands of years worth of cycles of warfare, and two factions of mystical glowbat swingers who have this alarming tendency to grind the rest of the galaxy to dust trying to wipe each other out every fifty or so years.

It really is, and people sadly forget that. The main six movies just show the space opera side of Star Wars. People were shocked by things like Republic Commando and the Dark Forces games showing a darker, grittier universe, but that's sort of the reality of the setting when you look at places like Jakku and Tattooine were there's abject poverty, thousands of years worth of cycles of warfare, and two factions of mystical glowbat swingers who have this alarming tendency to grind the rest of the galaxy to dust trying to wipe each other out every fifty or so years.

Yep, and several times the Jedi Order is almost as bad as the Sith are - they either ignore rampant corruption (which eventually led to the purge during the last days of the Old Republic), ignore threats that really shouldn't be ignored (the Mandalorian Wars come to mind), or end up adopting an "ends justify the means" mentality, which leads to Very Bad Things.

I like that Rogue One will involve some of the "little people" stuck in the middle of all this shit going down, just trying to survive an Empire determined to crush them.

Everything shown so far points to it, but I really hope for a complete and total absence of glowbats in this film.

At least until the end, in which Vader brutally kills the entire team. Hue.

What he said. Especially the spoiler part. There's been talk of it being pretty dark and brutal and I'm hoping they follow through with that.

They've confirmed no Jedi in Rogue One. This is intended to be a lower deck episode, if you will.

With that said, this is the very franchise that gave us the immortal phrase "from a certain point of view" and their exact words were "no Jedi" which does not discount Sith, dark Jedi, or non-titled Force adepts.

I certainly hope they stick to the spirit of their statement because I have always liked the military side guys, the Wedge Antilles, the Poe Dameron, the Jango and Boba Fett. I'm very much a "little guy" kind of guy.

It would not surprise me if Donnie Yen was a former padawan or something, given how I guess they wont waste his talent of beating people up hand to hand and look good while doing it. It just makes more sense to have a character like that to have some level of ability rather than "I'm just really good at not being where the people are shooting"

As a big Star Wars fan I'm obviously looking forward to it. I'm curious to see how Rebels Season 3 will tie into this.

Someone will be someone's farther

There will be Traps!

Bad feelings will there be

Evil pure and simple from the 8th dimension

Blast doors will be closed

The real story will be about the droids

Tractor beams

Ignitions of a primary sort that do bad things

Explosions in space!

woob woohoo zzzt whssh whssh 

Hokey .. lots of Hokey ... not so much cokey

Doing things that ain't like dusting crops

Yep, and several times the Jedi Order is almost as bad as the Sith are - they either ignore rampant corruption (which eventually led to the purge during the last days of the Old Republic), ignore threats that really shouldn't be ignored (the Mandalorian Wars come to mind), or end up adopting an "ends justify the means" mentality, which leads to Very Bad Things.

I like that Rogue One will involve some of the "little people" stuck in the middle of all this shit going down, just trying to survive an Empire determined to crush them.

While this is readily apparent to anyone watching the prequel trilogy, Lucas himself never intentionally characterized the Jedi Order as morally ambiguous, which makes taking the franchise out of his hands so much more promising. Other writers clearly saw the potential in giving the Jedi some real moral questions to struggle against rather than sitting around spouting blithe psuedodaoist philosophy.

It was popular to think Anakin DID bring balance to the force: by killing most of the Jedi. But then Lucas immediately dispelled that theory. He never did meet a good plot turn he liked.

While this is readily apparent to anyone watching the prequel trilogy, Lucas himself never intentionally characterized the Jedi Order as morally ambiguous, which makes taking the franchise out of his hands so much more promising.

It was popular to think Anakin DID bring balance to the force: by killing most of the Jedi. But then Lucas immediately dispelled that theory. He never did meet a good plot turn he liked.

I always found that funny, because it was so obvious to anyone who actually watched the movies that Anakin did exactly what he was prophesied to do - it's just that the Jedi were so sure of themselves that they actually believed "balance" was an end to all Sith, instead of the Jedi being nearly wiped out.

And yeah, I'm pretty excited it's not in his hands anymore. I feel like he was obsessed with making the Jedi the good guys, and often didn't even catch on to their failures.

Rakata Prime is still canon according to the Art of The Force Awakens (or whatever it's called). The purging of the EU may more have to do with them being able to retell it on their terms.

Rakata Prime is still canon according to the Art of The Force Awakens (or whatever it's called). The purging of the EU may more have to do with them being able to retell it on their terms.

I made a graph about this, it needs filling in with books and comics though, only added games and tv shows/movies for now. Also forgot to add Rogue One just under the trilogies.

http://s30.postimg.org/9ie5yzk1t/Untitled.jpg

Basically all EU is non-canon and is put into Legends, Lucasfilm/Disney can pick and choose elements from Legends and retell it in their own way, as you said. Do people like and hate it? Yes, that's just their opinion. I'm personally thankful this happened (Goodbye Starkiller!).

They've already put a lot of Legends content in Clone Wars and Rebels, and as Pablo Hidalgo says in his Q&A on Rebels Recon, just because something from Legends is there doesn't automatically make its story canon. Malachor is in Kotor 2 and Rebels. Same planet, both stories share the planet, but both have different stories.

EDIT: Then again Malachor V was the only thing mentioned in the KOTOR series, in Clone Wars and Rebels it was simply Malachor.