There Is A Button.

Verad

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not push the button.

There will always be differences between people sharing something together, even a hobby. As with anything in life, we should encourage people to communicate their needs and feelings properly instead of dreaming up scenarios where one never has to be upset or challenged.

I blink at the button, laugh, and take the bad with the good because RP is about stories and storytelling is so intensely personal that suggesting a uniformity of style would make things about as exciting to read as a dictionary.

Trust me, there are a LOT of things I would like RP in this and other MMO's to be different. But most of them are about community tools and design than player "problems". One hand would wash the other in this case, IMO.

I blink at the button, laugh, and take the bad with the good because RP is about stories and storytelling is so intensely personal that suggesting a uniformity of style would make things about as exciting to read as a dictionary.

The OED is a really interesting dictionary to read.

I think I read about that button once in a novel called Brave New World.

So, while going to the Feelies with a bunch of pneumatic go-getters might sound fun, there's no meat to it, no imagination, no flow of ideas. No personal development or real conflict can occur, and thus, there are no STORIES.

Conflict IS storytelling.

And Verad is right - the OED actually has some amazing stories associated with it. Lexicography is a fascinating subject for those who have an interest in where words and ideas actually come from, and how they mutate over time.

I don't press the button. I'm not one for conformity. I let people choose their own way to RP, and if I don't like it, I RP with other people. The whole reason I RP with entertainment based groups is because I like entertainment based RP.  However, that's not everyone's thing. If everyone in FFXIV was a RPing bard, I'd get bored fast.

I think I read about that button once in a novel called Brave New World.

So, while going to the Feelies with a bunch of pneumatic go-getters might sound fun, there's no meat to it, no imagination, no flow of ideas.  No personal development or real conflict can occur, and thus, there are no STORIES.

Conflict IS storytelling.

And Verad is right - the OED actually has some amazing stories associated with it. Lexicography is a fascinating subject for those who have an interest in where words and ideas actually come from, and how they mutate over time.

Also THIS, and Kudos for mentioning Huxley.

I will never presume to understand the tastes of the RPers as a whole, since I only understand my own likes and dislikes and those of people very close to me. If I could change the things people want to overcome on a personal basis, like the amount of time or the energy they have left to RP, it would be definitely worthwhile. Everyone has goals, plans, stuff they enjoy seeing, or just interesting ideas of their own, and it'd be fascinating to see those things play out. They might be redundant or pile up against one another, but I think there would be lots of genuinely memorable experiences, maybe because of that chaos rather than in spite of it.

If only I knew the difference between both... Besides the few basic obvious things... :/

"I dreamt that I spilt a glass of water on a painting and the colours bled."

All I've got. It's mostly some different choices in conjugation like using "I have dropped the ball" instead of "I dropped the ball" in the immediate present and then the spelling differences. Aside from slang, though, both dialects are intelligible. And nobody cares about the other dialects. :

Eorzeans don't really speak in British English though, but that's an argument for elsewhere.

If only I knew the difference between both... Besides the few basic obvious things... :/

"I dreamt that I spilt a glass of water on a painting and the colours bled."

All I've got. It's mostly some different choices in conjugation like using "I have dropped the ball" instead of "I dropped the ball" in the immediate present and then the spelling differences. Aside from slang, though, both dialects are intelligible. And nobody cares about the other dialects. :<

Eorzeans don't really speak in British English though, but that's an argument for elsewhere.

The only thing i'm aware are the spelling differences, and even then, not every single one of them I guess...

The curse not being a native and all.

I'm trying to decide what positive things straight men playing shallow, hypersexual lesbian catgirls adds to the community.

They create a stereotype for other catgirls to overcome/agonize about. I guess what I'm saying is that I enjoy the suffering.

I push the button and suddenly everyone develops a burning need to describe non-verbal behaviors not clearly represented by emotes.

"Upon hearing the news, Mia's tail whipped side to side but otherwise gave no clue as to how she felt."

I support this button push. This button push would make me feel less weird like "am spending too much time writing body language oh god oh god I'm the worst"

I would push the button and... well actually I'm not entirely sure what I want. People would put relevant things in their search notes. No more "Walk ups welcome!" on people who don't welcome walk-ups. No more vague acronyms that tell nothing. Instead, more things like "Eorzea's fastest courier" "Infamous gadgeteer" etc.

More people would be cool with their characters being capable of failing.

More people would be okay with writing combat together without /random. So that I could practice it more and get better at it.

More people would be comfortable with exchanging whispers about upcoming actions '(( Hey, my character is gonna try and pick yours up if that's okay ))'

Little things, I guess.

I push the button, it's a time machine. I go back to the launch of the game, find every single one of my eventual friends, and hand them the list of people who would try to fuck them over in RP in the future.

Oh yeah, and people don't put passive-aggressive obviously-OOC-motivated insults in emotes that are pointless because people can't read their character's mind. Oh yeah, and bleed. That shit stops.

I would push the button. If...

If I felt that I knew the One True Way to engage in my hobby.

If I felt that there even is a One True Way to engage in my hobby.

If I felt that I no longer needed to be surprised by anyone or learn anything new about how to engage in my hobby.

Pushing that button sounds a bit like saying "Gosh, I really like Earnest Hemmingway. Wouldn't it be awesome if *every* book ever written was written in the style of Hemmingway?"

Granted, "War and Peace" would make an excellent Hemmingway novella, but by the time I got around to reading "Plato's Hemmingway Republic", I'd realize I should have never stroked that lamp or talked to that djinni.

I would push the button. If...

If I felt that I knew the One True Way to engage in my hobby.

If I felt that there even is a One True Way to engage in my hobby.

If I felt that I no longer needed to be surprised by anyone or learn anything new about how to engage in my hobby.

Pushing that button sounds a bit like saying "Gosh, I really like Earnest Hemmingway. Wouldn't it be awesome if *every* book ever written was written in the style of Hemmingway?"

Granted, "War and Peace" would make an excellent Hemmingway novella, but by the time I got around to reading "Plato's Hemmingway Republic", I'd realize I should have never stroked that lamp or talked to that djinni.

You could push the button and have it just mean "Everyone write how they like."

Of course that happens anyway, so in that case I guess it's the same as not pushing the button.

I push the button.

OOC politicking and gossiping stops. When people don't get along, they talk to eachother and either work out their problems or resolve to go separate ways; either way, they are honest with everyone else about what happened. Everything else goes on as it is right now (or possibly goes as McBeef described; that's an appealing outcome, too).

( To those who know me: if you think I'm probably talking about you, I'm probably not. :love: )

I don't push the button.

Seriously why would I? Under what authority do I have to tell people how to rp? Sure the rp community can be random, odd, or different but its this diversity and strangeness that appeals to me. I want to be challenged and pushed. There are plenty if great role players and plenty of not so great ones. But I've never had trouble finding role play and if its not broken why fix it? And if I find an asshole, I can hit right back. I dont want everyone to be like me. Conflict makes people stronger. Besides, as much as I rag on the QS, it just wouldn't be the same if it wasn't a flesh market. xp

I don't push the button.

Seriously why would I? Under what authority do I have to tell people how to rp? Sure the rp community can be random, odd, or different but its this diversity and strangeness that appeals to me. I want to be challenged and pushed. There are plenty if great role players and plenty of not so great ones. But I've never had trouble finding role play and if its not broken why fix it? And if I find an asshole, I can hit right back. I dont want everyone to be like me. Conflict makes people stronger. Besides, as much as I rag on the QS, it just wouldn't be the same if it wasn't a flesh market. xp

I think in general things that lessen the experience for a person can be avoided because Balmung is so vast. Though it is unfortunate that this means there's little incentive to learn to respect others' styles, it means that there also is really little reason not to cooexist with them. 

In the end I take the same attitude towards this as all other ideas. Things that expand the RP world, I'm in favor of. Things that shrink it I'm against. 

The stuff with terrible people ooc is unfortunate and difficult to counteract. I think it's only through communication and trusted networks of players that can be fully avoided.

I hit the button I never joined Gilgamesh first, I never made my previous bad character Raiden, I never had to experience high levels of drama, I would've never had to deal with RP trolls of any kind, OOC politics stop, OOC/IC meshing stops, people ask ahead of time about certain actions, /random isn't the norm for fighting, and everyone on Balmung RPs their hearts out with no limits; not just the FCs or the guys in the Quicksand or at Events.

I then call the button the "Reboot Button".