There Is A Button.

Verad

If you push it, everybody on your server will roleplay in exactly the way you want forever, and they will be happy about it.

What does this dreamworld look like to you? What kind of stories get told?

Hard mode: Describe this in affirmative rather than negative terms. No "Well, those [concepts that are bad and stupid] won't exist anymore!"

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I push the button.

More RP happens because people are less scared about 'Not RPing right' 

Even the PVE players RP. 

People are Primals, Gods, Garlean Generals and Allagans. People play established characters from other games! Most people still play the same kind of adventurers, wanderers, and oddballs they do now though.

Everything is chaotic and fun and great. People wade through the Sea of RP, picking what they like for use in their own personal narrative, and leaving the rest.

New players feel like there are no wrong decisions in RP, and it's about having fun, and lore is more of a guideline than a law.

I do not push the button.

The server is saved from exceedingly slow typing by all and people are allowed to come up with their own ideas and formulate opinions on what type of RP they like and what kind of RP they don't like.

People may not already agree, but it's all fine, because they've learned how to ignore the people they don't want to RP with and can handle doing so without calling them out in public spaces.

The world continues until the server is eventually abandoned for the next shiny new game.

--

Alternatively, I do push the button.

Nothing visible happens because people are already RPing the way I want them to. They make friends and seek out opportunities. They post the occasional prompt or IC story/journal in IC boards. They discuss what they like and don't like about the game and its lore.

Arguments still happen because the server isn't a homogenized. But it shouldn't be. New RPers are welcomed to try out ideas, but are also encouraged to research what they want, due to inherent "difficulty level" of certain types of RP.

for the most part, there's peace. RPers generally get along and those that do not get along have a mutual understanding to not get themselves involved with each other.

A large amount of very different stories are told. Some of them are similar, but yet, still unique due to personal opinions. The stories allow many people with different interests to have fun, within their own definition of the word.

I'd push the button. Then everyone would mind their own business unless someone approached them for help/critique. There'd also be no drama over pretendy-fun times, because people can just walk away from things they don't like. Others realize it's okay for people to not like things and don't get upset when their ideas aren't blanket accepted and vice versa.

Hard mode: Everything is a unicorn that shits rainbows and everyone remembers this is a hobby to have fun in.

I push the button and suddenly the game offers awesome communication and social and network tools and you can speak with everyone at once, set up things easily, never feeling blind and oblivious to everything. You don't have to constantly hit people up and ask everytime the awkward "wanna RP?", etc etc.

I push the button and suddenly the game offers awesome communication and social and network tools and you can speak with everyone at once, set up things easily, never feeling blind and oblivious to everything. You don't have to constantly hit people up and ask everytime the awkward "wanna RP?", etc etc.

To add on this and admit to my own tendencies, a button-push on my part would include modifiable character sheets.

To add on this and admit to my own tendencies, a button-push on my part would include modifiable character sheets.

So it can adjust the game itself? Well then sure, I'd push the button and let everyone who wants have the necessary props to play their character in a given scene, up to and including houses.

But if it couldn't I would want for everyone to gain a flash of inspiration, to conceive of a way to accomplish their big stories, their ambitious goals, and after carrying it out, conclude them. I mostly just want to finally experience an RP concluding rather than fizzling out...

Only things I could say I'd actually do away with would be public ERP or IC sexual advances that are unwanted OOC, unapproved godmodding, blatant metagaming... basically anything that could be described as "nonconsensual." Otherwise, even things I dislike or don't find ideal still have their place and I don't feel the need to erase them. Things I truly take issue with are typically OOC problems, after all. So all in all, this dream RP world wouldn't look so different aside from less fuel for arguments or hurt feelings. Stories and relative content would remain the same.

hardhat notice: your post has been slightly edited to remain on topic after other posts have been removed.

I push the button.

Everyone believes in cooperative storytelling, and the line between IC and OOC becomes something that people can more easily maintain.

People become more proactive in starting and maintaining RP plots and events.

OOC drama is all but gone, and no one tries to twist and manipulate the stories of others based on an OOC agenda.

Um. UMMM. UMMM. Ok here we go. IPUSHBUTTON.

THERE IS NO OOC.

EVER.

No one is worried about being politically correct IC. No one is creeping on anyone OOCly. No means no when it comes to erps. Everyone regards their character as pretend times only. It's just nothing personal, ever. Everyone is writing to write their own personal plots for entertainment. Nobody gets OOCly butthurt over what happens IC, because IC is not real. IT'S NOT REAL.

(nobody is under 18, all those kid are playing neopets or whatever the kids are doing.. what? they playin call of duty these days? ok they doin that)

I could add more onto this.....

There would be no ooc friendships, that's true. But in some cases thaaat's not so bad.

THERE IS NO OOC.

EVER.

No one is worried about being politically correct IC. No one is creeping on anyone OOCly. No means no when it comes to erps. Everyone regards their character as pretend times only. It's just nothing personal, ever. Everyone is writing to write their own personal plots for entertainment. Nobody gets OOCly butthurt over what happens IC, because IC is not real. IT'S NOT REAL.

(nobody is under 18, all those kid are playing neopets or whatever the kids are doing.. what? they playin call of duty these days? ok they doin that)

There would be no ooc friendships, that's true. But in some cases thaaat's not so bad.

Are you saying you'd all be IC as soon as you get into the game? Or like, everyone's character is just straight up them? You don't plan a character and rather just kinda become them the moment you log in? 

"It's not real! IT'S NOT REAL!"

Screen%2520shot%25202012-09-12%2520at%252010.16.06%2520PM.png

That's an interesting idea. I like to plan too much to be truly happy with that, but it definitely would fix those things for certain. It would take some adjusting, but I wonder if I could do it.

I mostly would push the button to give people better capacity to communicate with eachother. I wouldn't want to take away peoples' own agency and preferences (because every now and then one likes to try something new and different, and if everybody is doing the same thing, that's hard to do!) but overall I'd like the community to treat eachother better. Everyone would be able to convey exactly what they mean and be understood by others and there'd be much fewer misunderstandings, and more actual, constructive agreements and disagreements.

As for what kinds of stories that would get told? Um...! The stories people want to tell! Hopefully the Button also gives them the ability to see their stories through and be able to include everyone who mutually wants to be included. Can the button magically make schedules line up? Although I have a preference for some stories, of course, I would like to see all the stories. Why only pick one flavor of ice cream when the Button allows you to afford them all? I wouldn't want to limit myself to just one flavor.

I guess that sounds like an easy answer-- but there'd also be a lot more epic, sweeping romances, and more roegadyn. Also the lalafell who want to be taken seriously would be.

THERE IS NO OOC.

EVER.

Are you saying you'd all be IC as soon as you get into the game? Or like, everyone's character is just straight up them? You don't plan a character and rather just kinda become them the moment you log in? 

"It's not real! IT'S NOT REAL!"

Screen%2520shot%25202012-09-12%2520at%252010.16.06%2520PM.png

That's an interesting idea. I like to plan too much to be truly happy with that, but it definitely would fix those things for certain. It would take some adjusting, but I wonder if I could do it.

I'm saying ...well, no OOC. They don't have to be their character. You are still you, but if you don't like someone OOCly, you find an IC reason to have nothing to do with them. Say some asshole wants to diddle you and you don't want that, you find a reason for it IC. Even if it's just, hey you're a fuckin creep go away. Or, you have an ugly face I don't want it. Whatever. Still planning, you still you OOC, just ...no OOC? MAN I DUNNO. YOU GOT MY BRAIN ALL BEFUDDLED NOW VIRARA.

I push the button, people roleplay in the open world more than they would in the cities or housing wards. People could be found roleplaying along the roads and even in out-of-the-way settlements. There is no instant travel. The Aetheryte system functions like it did in 1.0 so people can't hop carelessly from point A to point B in excess and ship/airship travel functions like FFXI with wait and travel time.

Push the button

Everyone has a house if their character plot/background calls for it.

DOWN WITH HOUSING BARONS

We'd also have 24/7 rp because there will be more roleplayers from my hemisphere of the planet. Like Asian and Australian roleplayers.

Also creating the cure for OOC/IC bleed, an airborne cure that applies to everyone!

I do not push the button.

I hear the songs of the roleplayers, and the music is cacophonous.

It is strange but, I find comfort in it's dissonance.

For myself, I have purpose if only to guide an artist to correct one particular stray note in a symphony run amok. Win or lose, the ballads we create are already our victory, our triumph. It is now fate that decides whether we are there to celebrate that fact, or not.

I push the button.

Everyone realizes the IC/OOC divide is arbitrary and imaginary, a constantly shifting grey area that is completely indefinable and may change from person to person and moment to moment.

In this realm of enlightenment people consult with each other to make sure IC decisions don't piss off OOC players.  Everyone tries to be better players rather than better characters.  They take their partner's enjoyment as seriously as their own.

In this world everyone understands that the phrase, "It's what my character would do!" is a copout, a shield and an excuse no one wants to hear.  People take responsibility for their character's choices because characters don't make decisions, players do.

On the reverse, people are more accepting of unexpected surprises and bad things happening to their characters, and can shift their personal narratives to accommodate those of others.

Also more Roegadyns and Elezen because the hotness cannot be contained.