3.3 & 3.4 Housing Updates

Have I ever regaled the forums with the time the FFXI team (during Yoshi's turn at the helm, during the Abyssea content) accidentally coded healing damage to underflow on undead enemies? A level 1 casting Cure 1 on a level 80 Notorious Monster Lich would deal something like 98,000 damage.

Or the time they patched in something and accidentally broke Sneak Attack so it worked from every single direction instead of just the intended one? Despite them not touching any job abilities or mechanics in the patch?

The fix to the problem is never ever as simple as it appears, doubly so when SE is on the job.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's a bit misleading to reason like that. We are not exactly talking about pure R&D here. We are talking about a system in place with limitations, pros, cons, and a certain structure. 

In most cases people coming with revolutionary ideas will meet either one of those issues:

- They don't know the code behind and so their miracle solution doesn't mean anything once facing the reality.

- Their idea is perfectly valid and someone probably already thought of it. Then the newcomer will ask "then why the hell are you not doing it"? The answer will always be "Because its costs development time that is allocated to more important things". One of the most common heated arguments inside a company (well at least mine) is people complaining about dev allocation. 

- Anyone that never worked in the company can't possibly have a concrete idea tailored for the issues at hand for the simple reason that software, and most of the processes, are proper to the company and unique. You have to get a good look at it (and actually a certain time of experience getting accustomed to all of this in the company in question) before being able to formulate any solution. The time you will spend will be relative to your degree of experience in the field.

Have I ever regaled the forums with the time the FFXI team (during Yoshi's turn at the helm, during the Abyssea content) accidentally coded healing damage to underflow on undead enemies? A level 1 casting Cure 1 on a level 80 Notorious Monster Lich would deal something like 98,000 damage.

Wouldn't be a true FF without an underflow/memory manip glitch.

Whatever the apartments or Ishgard area come to be, I really hope we get some options for worn-out/old/poor looking housing. Everything right now, from the houses up to the furnitures, looks brand-new, luxurious, and Barbie-style. I'd like something a bit more relatable. Carbuncle couches are okay, but some old-fashioned things like a worn-leather couch would be great, too.

I think the best would be a dye that automatically adds flaws and worn-out details to anything. Tiled floor becomes broken tiled floor, wooden wall becomes splintered wooden wall, etcetera. That'd be a damn blast.

My pipe dream would be the Ishgardian wards (if there will even be a ward at all) to be inspired to the Brume, or at least to the Forgotten Knight. That inn room is my favorite housing location by far, and it upsets me hard to be unable to get other players in there. I can try replicate it in an FC room but... it's not the same.

While all the talk of the hows, whys and such is nice... Do we have an eta for when this patch will even land?

I looked  around a bit while at home but couldn't find anything. Now sitting at work (yay filters) so definitely can't find anything.

While all the talk of the hows, whys and such is nice... Do we have an eta for when this patch will even land?

I looked  around a bit while at home but couldn't find anything. Now sitting at work (yay filters) so definitely can't find anything.

Early June according to this:

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/937a7ca2ad04f4064ca3dc95511be0e3a9153533

We'll likely get an exact date during the next Live Letter this Sunday.

Early June according to this:

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/937a7ca2ad04f4064ca3dc95511be0e3a9153533

We'll likely get an exact date during the next Live Letter this Sunday.

Not sure how I missed that page in my searches.:blush:

Thank you kindly!

Lol it's been a while since we've argued about housing.

-Checks list- Looks like we're due for a White Mage thread again soon.

Honestly, at this point, I'm just arguing to troll the SE defense squad. ;)

Haha lol sweet troll bro. 

epic man.

Nice saving face. Please fuck directly off and stop shitting up my thread, kthx.

Totally uncalled for, Warren.

Nice saving face. Please fuck directly off and stop shitting up my thread, kthx.

You know what else was uncalled for?

You trolling people with ridiculous arguments because you thought it was amusing. ;)

You know what else was uncalled for?

You trolling people with ridiculous arguments because you thought it was amusing. ;)

No, actually, I think SE's housing is a big problem, and I honestly wish it were fixed. I've simply gotten tired of trying to make coherent posts about it only to have my arguments torn down with ridiculous rebuttals.

But in any case, sounds like the general consensus is I'm wrong, and that it's appropriate to tell me to fuck off. I'll fuck off, then. Bye.

No' date=' actually, I think SE's housing is a big problem, and I honestly wish it were fixed. I've simply gotten tired of trying to make coherent posts about it only to have my arguments torn down with ridiculous rebuttals.[/quote']

In fairness, your arguments were just as ridiculous. You don't know what they are or aren't doing, you haven't seen the code or the infrastructure, and you've never worked on a large-scale MMO (yeah, I know you said you worked on two small MMOs, but that's really not the same), yet you're making "knowledgeable" posts about all the things you think SE is doing "wrong." Without any actual knowledge. If that isn't ridiculous, I don't know what is.

But in any case, sounds like the general consensus is I'm wrong, and that it's appropriate to tell me to fuck off. I'll fuck off, then. Bye.

Goodness, I had no idea how powerful I am. That's it, I'm declaring myself the Queen of the RPC. I represent everyone.

Y'all bow down now, or I'mma put you in the bayou.

Please remember to try to maintain a civil tone amongst discussions. Posts attempting to bait or "troll" users, and posts involving unnecessary aggression or insults are prohibited.

Goodness, I had no idea how powerful I am.  That's it, I'm declaring myself the Queen of the RPC.  I represent everyone.

Y'all bow down now, or I'mma put you in the bayou.

No I'm the Queen!!!

You don't know what they are or aren't doing

Except for all those things they tell us they are and are not doing.

We know what they tell us. I guarantee you that things are both lost in translation and deliberately left out. So, no, we still don't know exactly what is going on. We still haven't seen the code or the game infrastructure. We don't actually know how the housing areas are designed to work from a programming perspective since most of it is server side, not client side.

Right. But we do know that their existing housing system is incapable of meeting demand, and we know that very few, if any, other MMOs with housing features suffer similar issues.

We don't need to know what they are doing to know they are doing it wrong.