Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread

Well darn.  

So I just started playing FFXIV this past Saturday.  Being a long-time RPer, my first priority was to search for an official (or unofficial) roleplaying server.  I found out about Balmung and planned on doing a server transfer.  Ordered the Encyclopaedia Eorzea and everything so I could beef up on lore. Unfortunately the 2-day maintenance kicked in before I could pull the trigger (apparently you have to wait 3 days before it allows you to transfer).  So it came as a disappointing surprise this morning when I saw that they shut down the Balmung transfers.  Makes me wish I had decided to join FFXIV a week earlier.  Ah well...shoulda, coulda, woulda, right?

As others have said in this thread, I do hope that a secondary RP "home" begins to develop.  I'm currently on the Faerie server and have unfortunately only seen one roleplayer thus far.  I'd assume that it's not worth transferring to a server such as Mateus or Jenova at this moment?  Or is it?

I'm gonna keep an eye on the transfer status for Balmung.  But in the meantime, I'm hoping my interest in the game lasts.  I usually don't stay too long with an MMO if I can't find a relatively active RP community.

Oh...and aside from all the doom and gloom...

Hello!  Nice to meet you guys!  xD

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As others have said in this thread, I do hope that a secondary RP "home" begins to develop.  I'm currently on the Faerie server and have unfortunately only seen one roleplayer thus far.  

The thing about unofficial RP servers is that they won't happen if people don't actively go and make them. If everyone waits, it won't happen.

I'd assume that it's not worth transferring to a server such as Mateus or Jenova at this moment?  Or is it?

It could be. Luckily, these servers are open and an alt can always be made to check them out, do some shouts, preview the markets, etc. Then, if you do find people, you could then transfer in a more permanent character.

I'm gonna keep an eye on the transfer status for Balmung.  But in the meantime, I'm hoping my interest in the game lasts.  I usually don't stay too long with an MMO if I can't find a relatively active RP community.

This....is like wishful thinking. It's probably not going to happen soon, if at all within the next few months. Balmung's got an active population that is supposedly double that of the next most active server. While the transfer incentives may get a few people off, I don't forsee the server opening and staying open for a pretty long time. We've been experiencing closed character creation since the middle of 2.0. ...the kinda-forced transfers thing started after 3.0, which made the problem worse.

Now, for other servers, I would suggest NA people mostly try to focus on the Aether datacenter, since we can at least foster cross-world RP whether that's in parties or instances. SE is working on expanded cross-world interaction, so it seems like a good fit. And hey, we can help each other level up and clear content too!

I cannot stress this enough.  With the cross world stuff, it is probably the easiest way to get other RP servers going.  Somewhere that people can still interact and play with when all of their friends that aren't going to move.  It takes that stress point away which makes it more likely to be successful.

What a dumb and heavy-handed way of dealing with server congestion. I'd like to remind Square Enix that the fact that it took a hard restriction of transfers and character creation just means that they've already failed multiple times as far as spreading out server populations.

Firstly, there's not even a generalised indication of a server's population, like WoW's "Full", "medium", "low" realm population indicators. People transferred or waited to create characters on Balmung or Gilgamesh because the locked-server status was the only guarantee they had that the community wasn't too small for their tastes. People who are just looking for a different community regardless of size can pick whatever server they want, but if your main concern is having a lot of people to do things with whether its PvE or RP or whatever, you have no information to go to any other server without doing a lot of surveying on your own...which as a player you really shouldn't have to do.

Secondly, I'm still a bit miffed that Square Enix has yet to acknowledge that the Western RP community is even a thing. There was a vague one-off mention by Yoshi-P being surprised that "roleplaying" was even a thing among Westerners--which by itself isn't a huge surprise given that Asia in general, to my knowledge, doesn't roleplay at all to any significant extent--but Balmung's population issue could be solved entirely by just accommodating that portion of the community, either by designating Balmung or another server as a sanctioned RP server and offering free transfers.

I dunno, this whole thing reeks of "We could have prevented it from coming to this if we actually understood the numbers of our metrics", which is a pretty bad smell overall.

Well darn.  

So I just started playing FFXIV this past Saturday.  Being a long-time RPer, my first priority was to search for an official (or unofficial) roleplaying server.  I found out about Balmung and planned on doing a server transfer.  Ordered the Encyclopaedia Eorzea and everything so I could beef up on lore.  Unfortunately the 2-day maintenance kicked in before I could pull the trigger (apparently you have to wait 3 days before it allows you to transfer).  So it came as a disappointing surprise this morning when I saw that they shut down the Balmung transfers.  Makes me wish I had decided to join FFXIV a week earlier.  Ah well...shoulda, coulda, woulda, right?

As others have said in this thread, I do hope that a secondary RP "home" begins to develop.  I'm currently on the Faerie server and have unfortunately only seen one roleplayer thus far.  I'd assume that it's not worth transferring to a server such as Mateus or Jenova at this moment?  Or is it?

Oh...and aside from all the doom and gloom...

Hello!  Nice to meet you guys!  xD

Honestly, it'll probably take you until SB to get through all the MSQ leading up to it at this point, and that's if you zip through quickly. And then there will be SB's MSQ and launch content to occupy your time for a few weeks after that. So my suggestion would just be to plug away at all your progression/levelling stuff, and once you're 70 and comfy with your character, see where things stand at that point. Probably by then, a second RP hub server will be starting to grow, or maybe enough people will have transferred off Balmung for them to lift the inbound transfer lock, if not the character creation lock.

Secondly, I'm still a bit miffed that Square Enix has yet to acknowledge that the Western RP community is even a thing. There was a vague one-off mention by Yoshi-P being surprised that "roleplaying" was even a thing among Westerners--which by itself isn't a huge surprise given that Asia in general, to my knowledge, doesn't roleplay at all to any significant extent--but Balmung's population issue could be solved entirely by just accommodating that portion of the community, either by designating Balmung or another server as a sanctioned RP server and offering free transfers.

If only we could make them aware of this.

Maybe it might work if we make a forum post on the OF forums?

If only we could make them aware of this.

Maybe it might work if we make a forum post on the OF forums?

I'm banned on the official forums for life (posted a kermit "here we go again" meme), but I'd have thought this would have been done by now? I can read but not post, and couldn't find anything related to roleplay.

If tumblr taught me anything, it's that the minority yell the loudest. Saying that, they have at least given RP icons, so they must be aware in some way.

I'd make a post, but then you all might see my really stupid OF username which I created when I made this account back in 2013 and didn't realise you couldn't change it...

Spoilers: It's a Kingdom Hearts character. I didn't even know it was a Kingdom Hearts character at the time, I just thought it sounded cool and that I could change it later.

I'd make a post, but then you all might see my really stupid OF username which I created when I made this account back in 2013 and didn't realise you couldn't change it...

Spoilers: It's a Kingdom Hearts character. I didn't even know it was a Kingdom Hearts character at the time, I just thought it sounded cool and that I could change it later.

We all have sins, Nero.

But if anyone wants to do it, I'd be happy enough to leave a comment and support it. I just prefer to avoid it myself due to not being native English speaker and I'd rather have a well thought out post on it instead of my normal rambling.

So it's come to this...

I have no problem posting. I figure if anyone it should be me on this particular issue. The future is at stake etc. etc.

Is this where you give a dramatic nod like the WoL you love so much? :D Seriously though, I think the idea of a post on the main forum is at least some sort of action/step in the right direction/etc.

Now that I have had decent sleep and my head is more screwed on solid, and skimming over some posts (including one good ol' Kylin wrote). So, lets get to this, as I am the one who started the growth on Mateus to get it to be the sister to Balmung, I feel it is also my job to speak for it a bit (since most of the members there for.. some reason.. don't want to come here *shrugs!*)

Kylin is correct. Mateus has a great deal of potential to become something AMAZING. We do have an active community here, but as of recent times (and why I went on my vacation), we have an issue where this... Large group of individuals (Not going to say names) are very entwined into their own little spot and due to the small nature of the RP community right now, this is effecting those that are not in this circle.

As the one in charge, I voice time and time again that my officers need to do more world RP and actually go out and do things, however, they seem very convinced to remain in that circle and some of my own officers have been pulled into this little group-- which makes matters WORSE. :frustrated:

In turn, the person in charge of its creation, me, has also been placed outside this group and I'm the only one seeing to the needs of the folks also outside this group, which is almost near impossible for one person to do. We DO have the people here, but we, no, I, could desperately use some folks to help round up these folks, have a larger means to post events, and read far broader out than the RPC LS which has now becoming, slowly, its own cesspool.

Which I turn to now the Hydaelyn forums here and ask, how difficult would it be to add a Mateus board sections? A place to help traffic information and events away from the singular LS, so more LSes can form and as Kylin pointed out, more events can happen? Because, this is what we need more than ever right now... If I could get this corporation, we could probably then get the tree to really start growing and then have Balmung truly have a little sister.

If this continued growth is successful, this will probably take pressure off of Balmung and should, hopefully, one day allow her to reopen her gates. That also said, the new LSes and free companies would not need to adhere to the rules of the Mateus RPC, make their own rules, and we can then drop the linkshell post for the RPC and allow the community to grow in its different branches.

This is something I'd love to see more than ever and right now, is the best time for this. I want to see that growth, the changing winds, and new communities spring up with their own ideals. RPC on Mateus did its job-- now I ask for the aid of big sister, my former beloved home, to help grow that out even more.

Which I turn to now the Hydaelyn forums here and ask, how difficult would it be to add a Mateus board sections? A place to help traffic information and events away from the singular LS, so more LSes can form and as Kylin pointed out, more events can happen? Because, this is what we need more than ever right now... If I could get this corporation, we could probably then get the tree to really start growing and then have Balmung truly have a little sister.

If this continued growth is successful, this will probably take pressure off of Balmung and should, hopefully, one day allow her to reopen her gates. That also said, the new LSes and free companies would not need to adhere to the rules of the Mateus RPC, make their own rules, and we can then drop the linkshell post for the RPC and allow the community to grow in its different branches.

This is something I'd love to see more than ever and right now, is the best time for this. I want to see that growth, the changing winds, and new communities spring up with their own ideals. RPC on Mateus did its job-- now I ask for the aid of big sister, my former beloved home, to help grow that out even more.

PM me about this. I'm not really able to type a whole lot currently because I'm off on a family visit, but when I can get back to my apartment, we can hash out some details. ...I also don't have the admin credentials to make any changes while away. We keep those locked down.

I will say there had previously been separate event/directory boards for Gilgamesh back in the day. They were later merged in to consolidate boards which was supposed to reduce the number of clicks users needed to get to content. I know a lot of people will say "but there's so much Balmung my post will be lost" but at the same time, not posting it at all is worse. I can get a Mateus tag added in once I'm back and as part of our planned forum upgrades (see announcements board) there will be better tagging/searching/filtering.

The biggest thing I can recommend for people to do now is to advertise their servers and make them feel welcoming to incoming people! Having RPC tell people where to go will basically be like sending a box of wallflowers. OR their interest will dwindle. It is -really- hard to build up an additional place. This is a [forced by SE] perfect opportunity for growth.

OF thread is here: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/324942-Transfer-Restrictions-and-Roleplayers?p=4143635#post4143635

I tried to keep it to-the-point since the OF has an utterly bonkers 1000 character restriction on posting.

Re:Mateus

As Unnamed Mercenary said above, we have a fairly large host of plans to expand the RPC's ability to accommodate multiple communities on multiple servers. At the moment we're restricted by a painfully old website (2010 material!), but once the planned upgrades go through it should be much easier for roleplayers to find a community they like on a variety of servers.

OF thread is here: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/324942-Transfer-Restrictions-and-Roleplayers?p=4143635#post4143635

I tried to keep it to-the-point since the OF has an utterly bonkers 1000 character restriction on posting.

As Unnamed Mercenary said above, we have a fairly large host of plans to expand the RPC's ability to accommodate multiple communities on multiple servers. At the moment we're restricted by a painfully old website (2010 material!), but once the planned upgrades go through it should be much easier for roleplayers to find a community they like on a variety of servers.

You can get around it be editting your post I believe?

But if the Mateus RP community is cannibalizing itself at the moment, why would people want to go there? :| How do you plan to deal with this?

The fact that there are enough RPers there for this to be a problem mean there's at least a foundation to build on.

PM me about this. I'm not really able to type a whole lot currently because I'm off on a family visit, but when I can get back to my apartment, we can hash out some details. ...I also don't have the admin credentials to make any changes while away. We keep those locked down.

I will say there had previously been separate event/directory boards for Gilgamesh back in the day. They were later merged in to consolidate boards which was supposed to reduce the number of clicks users needed to get to content. I know a lot of people will say "but there's so much Balmung my post will be lost" but at the same time, not posting it at all is worse.  I can get a Mateus tag added in once I'm back and as part of our planned forum upgrades (see announcements board) there will be better tagging/searching/filtering.

The biggest thing I can recommend for people to do now is to advertise their servers and make them feel welcoming to incoming people! Having RPC tell people where to go will basically be like sending a box of wallflowers. OR their interest will dwindle. It is -really- hard to build up an additional place. This is a [forced by SE] perfect opportunity for growth.

I will get in touch with you, asap regarding this. I also updated the RPC Of Mateus on the current situation. There is some folks seeming glad to hear this and I'll keep them up to date.

Understandable!

I just know right now I can't turn my back on this and I'm glad I got the framework going before this has taken place.

I know the current LS (the last I looked before I went on vacation), we had around 90-95 members that are non-alt. We have around 20-25 characters that are in the alt linkshell.

This is not counting the folks who did leave to try and carve their own path or those looking for the RPC on Mateus, unaware of how to contact or who.

I sort of feel this was a long time coming, it's not unexpected. One of the reasons I moved 8 placeholder alts over to Balmung is because I suspected SE would probably be doing this at one point, it's surprising that the announcement was so sudden but I kind f think they were trying to avoid a lot of last minute rush transfers. While high population is good for RP i feel it's reached a critical mass where it's starting to hurt gameplay. Housing is not so much as a long shot as it is a lottery and while the new move may help with loading issues piling on more transfers to an overpopulated server could exhaust the capabilities of what it can support. The bonus is I don't have to witness a general f#$*ton of bots every time the server restarts.

I also think that the overemphasis on Balmung has caused smaller communities such as Faerie, Mates and Jenova to be passed over to  everyone's​ loss.

Probably could've done without the intro joke though. =/

Still, thank you for posting something up, Nero!

I blame my English professor who subconsciously implanted the idea of "persuasion is helped by acknowledging self-deprecation" in everything I write.

But if the Mateus RP community is cannibalizing itself at the moment, why would people want to go there? :| How do you plan to deal with this?

See post regarding folks not connected to the RPC and also those outside the trouble circle. Also they are not really cannibalizing one another, not-- sure why you got that idea or feeling.

There is just growing pains and honestly the chain on the LS, while created when we are smaller, are now not healthy for it, which is why I want to see it expand outside of the original settlement.

Think of it like when we first came to America or any country came to another region. They had a small settlement, eventually this settlement became large enough that for its own health, it HAD to spread out. The Mateus RPC is now at the stage where it needs to spread out and new settlers can come in and place their claims on the land.