Balmung Transfer Restriction Megathread

[align=center]tZvZWk7.png[/align]

[align=left]For those who may not read things! If you plan on transferring or making a character on one of the listed servers you need to do so before Stormblood. Afterward, they'll be closing it off for an indefinite amount of time. So if you needed a nudge, here it is!

Update: It appears the servers may already be locked. Balmung is not accessible on the mogstation transfer list.

Yep, they've been locked. So if you're unable to transfer to Balmung this'll be why! There's no news yet on when the servers will be unlocked. But I doubt it'll be permanent. Similar locks happened during Heavensward. ♥

Another Update:

Lodestone Link. Kage's full post

It does appear from the wording that services will be offered come Stormblood for players looking to transfer off.

[align=center]Official Forums Thread[/align]

[align=center]EU RP Server Discussion found here.[/align]

[align=center]Alternative (NA) RP Server Discussion found here.[/align]

[align=center]Alternative (NA) RP Server Voting Poll found here.[/align]

[/align]

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of shitty they did this so suddenly without warning.

They've been telling us to not transfer to fill world's for a really long time. They just weren't actually enforcing their words. It sucks, but this is also the perfect chance to foster some larger RP communities on other servers. (I can almost hear Mateus server people screaming!)

They've been telling us to not transfer to fill world's for a really long time. They just weren't actually enforcing their words. It sucks, but this is also the perfect chance to foster some larger RP communities on other servers. (I can almost hear Mateus server people screaming!)

The timing is what bugs me about this.

My only real gripe about this is locking the server and not giving free transfers off. Especially right now, as there are people destined to be unhappy with their ping. I think a good balance to locking down the server would have been giving high population servers the ability to transfer off without cost for a certain period of time. This would allow other communities to prosper and give those who may not have the funding (but are affected by the server move) the ability to clear out some space (especially with that gil increase for moving!). 

*Edited to add:

I do agree the timing might be a little blah if you've been trying to get friends into the game/server for the expansion.

My only real gripe about this is locking the server and not giving free transfers off. Especially right now, as there are people destined to be unhappy with their ping. I think a good balance to locking down the server would have been giving high population servers the ability to transfer off without cost for a certain period of time. This would allow other communities to prosper and give those who may not have the funding (but are affected by the server move) the ability to clear out some space (especially with that gil increase for moving!). 

*Edited to add:

I do agree the timing might be a little blah if you've been trying to get friends into the game/server for the expansion.

I think they're hoping to make money off the transfers off, tbh. Because some raiding guilds, for instance, will almost certainly leave due to the lack of fresh blood.

I think they're hoping to make money off the transfers off, tbh.  Because some raiding guilds, for instance, will almost certainly leave due to the lack of fresh blood.

I agree that's likely the case I'm just. . .   disappointed by it? To bring up the typical, "But them other games!" reference, like. When other games have experienced overloading high population servers they just. . .  offer free transfers off. It's a courtesy thing. And while I don't think that XIV may need to maintain that system, I do think it's only fair for them to offer it temporarily when a move happened after players had already selected their realm and grown content with their pings / what-have-you. Drastically changing server should allow people a grace period of, "Nope. . . don't like this time to change."

And I mean, it's not like it'd be the first time they offered free transfers for doing something large scale. They did it with the EU data center. 

Idk, I agree it's a money thing, but I feel like. . .   they should respect (lack of a better term) their playerbase more than that and offer a grace period.

I've been kind of expecting them to do this for a while, to be honest.   It's a sensible move just prior to an expansion.

That doesn't mean it sucks any less for the folks that are affected, but I expect it will be temporary.

I've been kind of expecting them to do this for a while, to be honest.   It's a sensible move just prior to an expansion.

That doesn't mean it sucks any less for the folks that are affected, but I expect it will be temporary.

Temporary like the character creation locks that haven't been changed in like...three years?

Mmkay.

I think they're hoping to make money off the transfers off, tbh.  Because some raiding guilds, for instance, will almost certainly leave due to the lack of fresh blood.

I agree that's likely the case I'm just. . .   disappointed by it? To bring up the typical, "But them other games!" reference, like. When other games have experienced overloading high population servers they just. . .  offer free transfers off. It's a courtesy thing. And while I don't think that XIV may need to maintain that system, I do think it's only fair for them to offer it temporarily when a move happened after players had already selected their realm and grown content with their pings / what-have-you. Drastically changing server should allow people a grace period of, "Nope. . . don't like this time to change."

And I mean, it's not like it'd be the first time they offered free transfers for doing something large scale. They did it with the EU data center. 

Idk, I agree it's a money thing, but I feel like. . .   they should respect (lack of a better term) their playerbase more than that and offer a grace period.

Honestly, a lot of this could be solved if they would just allow us to play cross-server.

Honestly, a lot of this could be solved if they would just allow us to play cross-server.

They do though? And have been taking steps to improve what's currently available. FFXIV was never designed to have to accommodate a cross-world experience outside of instances zones, which were special and probably separated from the other zone servers. We've seen they plan to add cross-world raiding, friends list, tells, free companies, etc. I don't forsee cross-world zones because thst would defeat the purpose of having separate world at all. And given how the network stuff is set up, they probably still need that because those packets can be bloated at times.

They do though? And have been taking steps to improve what's currently available. FFXIV was never designed to have to accommodate a cross-world experience outside of instances zones, which were special and probably separated from the other zone servers. We've seen they plan to add cross-world raiding, friends list, tells, free companies, etc. I don't forsee cross-world zones because thst would defeat the purpose of having separate world at all. And given how the network stuff is set up, they probably still need that because those packets can be bloated at times.

-megaserver flashbacks-

-screams-

I'm sorry that's all I see with, "Cross-World zones." I'm not sure if it can be done differently but

pleasenomegaserverspleasenoplease.

They do not. I have friends on Behemoth. I cannot play with them with my character on Balmung. I can't even talk to them while on Balmung, except through Discord or Skype.

Well new roleplayers just got shafted.

Because lets face it, nearly everyone will want to join the big server and not the one with 3 serious roleplayers on it. Sort of feel let down by this? I know non-Balmung people don't agree with this, and are probably happy with this. But I like seeing new blood rolling into the RP community on Balmung.

Welp. I just hope another server will start to flourish for roleplay, but I'm certain a lot of potential new roleplayers will just give up before they even start.

What would be nice if they implemented [but I doubt they will] is to put in a system so that new players can have their first created character on -any- server. Otherwise it really isn't fair for new players at all to be locked out because of people overloading the server.

Because lets face it, nearly everyone will want to join the big server and not the one with 3 serious roleplayers on it. Sort of feel let down by this? I know non-Balmung people don't agree with this, and are probably happy with this. But I like seeing new blood rolling into the RP community on Balmung.

Welp. I just hope another server will start to flourish for roleplay, but I'm certain a lot of potential new roleplayers will just give up before they even start.

I mean, it just basically means I will stop trying to bring my friends to the game. Because this is the only server I play on, and most of my friends are RPers and I'm not going to strand them on some low pop server.

I mean, it just basically means I will stop trying to bring my friends to the game.  Because this is the only server I play on, and most of my friends are RPers and I'm not going to strand them on some low pop server.

And this is why I sincerely doubt these restrictions last beyond a couple months after Stormblood launches. I think they reopened server transfers three months later when Heavensward dropped. Either way, I agree. Not offering a free transfer off high pop servers is just a money grab from Square Enix. Not to mention, if you've managed to snag a house. What reason would you even consider moving? They could have used the new housing distinct to try coaxing players over to other servers (for free) or even merged smaller ones.

And this is why I sincerely doubt these restrictions last beyond a couple months after Stormblood launches. I think they reopened server transfers three months later when Heavensward dropped. Either way, I agree. Not offering a free transfer off high pop servers is just a money grab from Square Enix. Not to mention, if you've managed to snag a house. What reason would you even consider moving? They could have used the new housing distinct to try coaxing players over to other servers (for free) or even merged smaller ones.

I think FFXI had an invite pass system for locked servers. So you could still invite your friends over to come join you on your (locked) server when creating a new character. Who knows they might implement that on the long run, if they don't open Balmung up again. Not that would be ideal, but it would be something.

And this is why I sincerely doubt these restrictions last beyond a couple months after Stormblood launches. I think they reopened server transfers three months later when Heavensward dropped. Either way' date=' I agree. Not offering a free transfer [i']off[/i] high pop servers is just a money grab from Square Enix. Not to mention, if you've managed to snag a house. What reason would you even consider moving? They could have used the new housing distinct to try coaxing players over to other servers (for free) or even merged smaller ones.

I mean, there's a couple things that they could do.

They could re-implement the afk timer. No one needs to be afk on the server for hours, days, or weeks at a time when there are other players who want to actually play the content.

They could address the issue of bots flooding the character creation the moment the restrictions are relaxed (causing them to immediately shut down once again).

They could officially designate Balmung as an RP server, which would probably encourage some PvE guilds to move elsewhere.

They could enable people to group with their friends, regardless of server, for things like dungeons and raids.

The bot and afk timer issues, though, would be most helpful, in my opinion.

I would think that FFXIV is going in Rift's direction, which now allows you (and has for like four years, I guess) to teleport to any world your friend is on by joining their party. It started as a bug and then they made it a feature. I think it also tries to place you in mediumpop zones when you level, or at least that's what it felt like yesterday.

Either way, as much as it sucks with the timing, I have some hopes that it can even out Balmung entirely. Free gametime, better conditions for transferring and so on may entice more of the people who only PvE (and are maybe a bit tired of the RP'ers) to seek to greener pastures - especially since raids can be formed across more servers and such. So they don't stand to lose as much as RPers would. I also think that if all of the RP'ers from Balmung moved, whichever server we'd go to would become high pop and lock down. Cause we're quite a few. 

But yeah. It might also help nurture some of the smaller RP communities, I would certainly encourage people who are scattered over many of the smaller servers (Jenova, Mateus..) to see if it's possible to come together completely in one place and foster Balmung's little sister.

I mean, there's a couple things that they could do.

They could re-implement the afk timer.  No one needs to be afk on the server for hours, days, or weeks at a time when there are other players who want to actually play the content.

They could address the issue of bots flooding the character creation the moment the restrictions are relaxed (causing them to immediately shut down once again).

They could officially designate Balmung as an RP server, which would probably encourage some PvE guilds to move elsewhere.

They could enable people to group with their friends, regardless of server, for things like dungeons and raids.

The bot and afk timer issues, though, would be most helpful, in my opinion.

I definitely agree about bots and afk timers. Something like GW2 would be nice with the adjustment that it registers text. I don't mind being kicked out after 30 minutes - 1 hour of afk. However, if I'm roleplaying I hate doing the dumb little shimmy. Though, I think when XIV had implemented their afk timer, it had registered text. So. There's that.

I know to some extent they are trying with bots. While the server's tightly locked, I drastically see a whole lot gilsellers which is a step in the right direction (but no by perfect or a solution). They do release stats on how many people are gutted for botting, it's a lot, bots are just. . .   They're one of those things that I don't think anyone's perfectly removed.

I would think that FFXIV is going in Rift's direction, which now allows you (and has for like four years, I guess) to teleport to any world your friend is on by joining their party. It started as a bug and then they made it a feature. I think it also tries to place you in mediumpop zones when you level, or at least that's what it felt like yesterday.

As long as this doesn't mean megaservers I'm okay. Because there's no way in the seven hells that I want to go back to that and all the problems it creates vs the minimal that it solves.

*looks over here*

And why would we be screaming?

Just curious actually.

Given the reason I generated the RPC on Mateus was to actually prepare for this very thing. To grow a location that was extremely low pop to help bleed off what was going to be Balmung (formly Besaid) mass size being locked.

I can't help but since a little aggression from that, though I do know some people on Mateus have not been very.... well behaved. Though such behavior is out of my hands, sadly. Given there is now a growing mix culture on the server.. And even I plan to step away from the RPC I started and formulate something else to continue to foster some growth.

Edit Note:

You guys can either help with this or not. Maybe even look at other low pop servers, but I was part of the team that helped make Balmung what it is today and back then-- we never dreamed it would get this large. It sucks, yes, but it is also not the end of the world.

PS - could also be miss reading the aggression levels. It is late and running on lack of sleep. Go text context missing! *does a go go gadget dragoon! ... Right off the Titan platform*