Suggestion for Site/Forums

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a request from the wiki side of things.

How about investigating some additional extensions or modules?

What I'd like to do is use JavaScript to condense my page and add mouse-over pop-ups to certain items. I know there are modules out there to do this, but no way to import them into singular pages.

Custom JS is something I don't want to enable for security reasons. A wily user could write some custom JS to hijack session cookies, for instance. Extension:DynBox is the only extension that I'm aware of that does pop-ups, but I also know there's stuff you can do in the MediaWiki namespace, similar to how we style the site.

If there's a specific extension or mod you have in mind, just point me to it and I'll take a look at it. :) One extension I'm still mulling over is MobileFrontend to give a nice mobile view for the wiki, but that breaks the tabs extension, unfortunately.

To address some older stuff here: I'm still planning on doing chat, though I may need to pass around the collection plate for that (since there might be both licensing costs and a new AWS instance required). Theme changes are something I'm reviewing; just as I had to change the wiki's skin to get MW 1.23 working, I may have to change the forum skin to make certain forum changes to work. If I do that, then I'll likely be playing a game similar to what we do on the wiki (taking the base skin and overriding with CSS), which will mean I can offer more theme options.

To address some older stuff here: I'm still planning on doing chat, though I may need to pass around the collection plate for that (since there might be both licensing costs and a new AWS instance required). Theme changes are something I'm reviewing; just as I had to change the wiki's skin to get MW 1.23 working, I may have to change the forum skin to make certain forum changes to work. If I do that, then I'll likely be playing a game similar to what we do on the wiki (taking the base skin and overriding with CSS), which will mean I can offer more theme options.

I'll gladly toss some monies into that plate!

Thanks for all your hard work. <3

If there's a specific extension or mod you have in mind, just point me to it and I'll take a look at it. :)

I'm not very well versed in wikicode or extensions, mind you, but from a quick-and-dirty search, here is one that would do what I'm thinking:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Tooltip

If you know of another way to accomplish a mouseover tooltip, I would default to the web admin! What I was thinking of was a way to condense the "relationships" section of a page so you just mouse-over the persons name to see a description rather than having page bloat.

It looks like that extension might have issues with newer versions of MediaWiki, such as ours, but I'll see if I can get the patches on the discussion page to work.

I know no one asked for it here, but I've upgraded the security on the wiki. All connections to it are now encrypted via TLS for your safety. If you're having trouble accessing it, upgrade your browser! I recommend the latest versions of Chrome or Firefox, or IE11 on Windows 7 or later.

I'm currently looking into upgrading the security on the main forum; I adjusted it briefly earlier, but I had to revert it because we have too many external links out that aren't using SSL (imgur and XIVdb being the main offenders here). You can, if you want, access the site over SSL now (https://www.ffxiv-roleplayers.com), but be aware that you'll likely have to tell your browser to allow all content, and some stuff might not work properly.

It looks like that extension might have issues with newer versions of MediaWiki, such as ours, but I'll see if I can get the patches on the discussion page to work.

I know no one asked for it here, but I've upgraded the security on the wiki. All connections to it are now encrypted via TLS for your safety. If you're having trouble accessing it, upgrade your browser! I recommend the latest versions of Chrome or Firefox, or IE11 on Windows 7 or later.

I'm currently looking into upgrading the security on the main forum; I adjusted it briefly earlier, but I had to revert it because we have too many external links out that aren't using SSL (imgur and XIVdb being the main offenders here). You can, if you want, access the site over SSL now (https://www.ffxiv-roleplayers.com), but be aware that you'll likely have to tell your browser to allow all content, and some stuff might not work properly.

As a heads-up for everyone, this update has broken the wiki for Android's default web browser. But that's to be expected, given that said browser is a p.o.s.

What version of Android and is the page not loading at all (like a connection error) or is it just not displaying properly?

I ask because I have a feeling I know what the issue is, and it's not a big deal to fix if it's what I think it is. :)

Version 4.4.2, and it's a connection problem (couldn't establish a secure connection) coupled with the standard "Webpage not available". Issue's recent and seems to have coincided with the upgrade to TLS.

I'm all for a chat connected to the site. Let's me dork around even more with everyone during downtime at work. :cactuar:

Also, this may be an unrelated thing but... I've noticed on and off that the quote option in posts gets a bit silly if the user you're quoting has an apostrophe in their name (i.e. many of our Miqo'te players) and cuts off the part of their name after the mark. So rather than "W'hatever", the quote window simply says "W."

It's an easy fix on my end, just quick-edit and type in the rest of their name, but I thought I'd mention it (if it hasn't been already). If this isn't the appropriate place to do so, let me know and I'll just remove all this extra fluff after the Cactaur from the post. :blush:

Yep, this is a fine place to mention anything that could be improved. :) Sometimes there's not much or anything I can do, as it's a function of third-party software, but I do read the thread and will take a look at anything posted. In the case of the quoting, I think I may be able to fix that, but I'll have to take a look at how the editor is pulling that information. If it's doing something hinky involving escaping, we may be stuck, but if it's just a bad regular expression, it shouldn't be too hard to fix.

I still have it on my list to lighten up the TLS ciphers and install that Tooltip extension, but right now I'm out of town and so I haven't had the chance to do so.

Is it possible that we can also add LS/FC list, Directory, Events, Connections for servers outside of Balmung/Gilgamesh? I've noticed that Lamia and Cerberus have had their own share of RP from there. That way people will know that there are RP related Linkshells/FC/players exist in different servers.

Is it possible that we can also add LS/FC list, Directory, Events, Connections for servers outside of Balmung/Gilgamesh? I've noticed that Lamia and Cerberus have had their own share of RP from there. That way people will know that there are RP related Linkshells/FC/players exist in different servers.

We already have an "other" section of Linkshells not in Balmung/Gilgamesh.

We already have an "other" section of Linkshells not in Balmung/Gilgamesh.

And that still doesn't really justify the rest for them to have their own events and directory sections...

I took a poll on the topic of other servers several months ago, and it turned out that a very, very small set of users are on other servers. While it's not really a maintenance issue to add more forums, it does increase the number of forums and thereby makes the user interface more complex; doing so to serve a very small set of our users doesn't seem especially beneficial. Also, some raised the legitimate concern that it makes these servers seem less active than they really are if they have an empty, or nearly empty, events and directory forum. I realize this is a bit of a "chicken and egg" problem, but proliferation of forums in the UI is a real problem for people, especially on small screens. (Yes, I know a mobile theme would help, but that's a lot more complex than keeping the forum count down.)

So, I then took a poll on an alternative solution that would keep things simple -- merging the two server Events and Directory forums into one and use tags to identify the server. I could then easily add tags for each server, so you'd be able to filter by server. This proposal was quite dramatically rejected by the community.

That's basically how we got to where we are now (excluding the historical reasons why only Balmung and Gilgamesh have subforums). I'm open to suggestions on alternative options, however.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little bug alert.

When I sent a PM to multiple individuals and went to look at it in the "Sent Items" folder, the Sent To field displays this:

' title=''>%3Cflp_avatar[][' alt='' align="left" />Multiple recipients

(With Image being the broken image icon, I'm assuming it doesn't know whose icon to use?)

Most likely not a big deal to most folks, but thought I'd bring it up.

I think it's just a small bug in the system that initially doesn't like multiple recipients. It just fixes itself after some time.

But it's always messed up initially. Then a few minutes later it is fixed.

((I've experienced it in Chrome and IE))