Suggestion for Site/Forums

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming from GW2RP, (so thankful I'm out of there) there was an easy reputation system that enjin employed. One click and the person gets one rep.

Here, however, you have to click around three, or two times. If we could somehow notch it down to one click, that'd be great. We could have a checkbox beside

b3b4c86dec6aa741f6ab8c35692bc35b.png

so that we can have the option to give a reason for reputation.

And er, if I'm posting the suggestions in the wrong place, well... I don't exactly see a bug report / suggestions part of the forum. I think it should be added in.

What do you guys think?

I think the current system is fine as it is, especially since it allows people to leave a reason for adding to a poster's reputation if they desire. It's already helped me track down a few like-minded posters to approach for role-play as a result of those individuals leaving feedback.

So far there haven't been a lot of site/forum suggestions or bug reports so when I made a thread the previous admin (who now focuses on the tech side) stickied the thread.

Personally I like the reputation system mostly as is.

I think the current system is fine as it is, especially since it allows people to leave a reason for adding to a poster's reputation if they desire. It's already helped me track down a few like-minded posters to approach for role-play as a result of those individuals leaving feedback.

Yea I like the note system, it's nice to have a reason behind it at times so you can see 'ah this person liked this post because they also are interested in this character type, we should probably RP together!' or 'oh this person thought I was being a dick when I super wasn't meaning to sound that way, I should make that clearer!' I'd rather have a comment system than just pure up or down.

To be fair he is not stating that we should lose the option to comment. He is stating that we should be able to decide if we just want to add Rep and move on, or check the box and also leave a comment. That way you don't end up being brought to another page when you see a comment you support and you're still in the midst of reading a thread.

Makes sense.

I would like to make a suggestion going forward about expansions and patch information being shared by everyone.

I may personally be the only one bothered but I abhor the threads that pop up when teeny tiny new info just got posted. And usually it is just a post with a link and done type of threads. Or that a wave of information was released over one weekend and like 4 threads were made all about one small topic in the span of just a couple of hours each having generated maybe 30 replies to all the threads cumulatively in that small time.

I want to suggest that things like megathreads be made for that. For the example of heavensward we could have had sales and misc. Class and Jobs. Dungeons and gameplay. Lore.

I would like to make a suggestion going forward about expansions and patch information being shared by everyone.

I may personally be the only one bothered but I abhor the threads that pop up when teeny tiny new info just got posted. And usually it is just  a post with a link and done type of threads. Or that a wave of information was released over one weekend and like 4 threads were made all about one small topic in the span of just a couple of hours each having generated maybe 30 replies to all the threads cumulatively in that small time.

I want to suggest that things like megathreads be made for that. For the example of heavensward we could have had sales and misc. Class and Jobs. Dungeons and gameplay. Lore.

I'd second this.

Usually around patch time, we'd see 3-4 threads all having the same info in them because either:

1) Someone made a thread first

2) Someone made a thread while someone was posting another

3) Someone made a thread without searching/seeing a previously made thread

Going to merge in another thread in a moment, but I wanted to respond first by saying that I think stickied megathreads are a good idea. I'll put that down for the team to discuss and perhaps implement moving forward.

EDIT: Right, they merge by timestamp. Awkward.

• 4 weeks later...

With some of the movement of forums etc.

I feel like Lore should be moved outside of the general FFXIV discussion and be made its own subforum in the FFXIV section.

So FFXIV would be

News

Discussion

Lore

I've a suggestion that I've been toying with putting forward for quite some time. I'll do my best to word it in a manner that will hopefully not cause offense even though it may be an unpopular opinion!

I personally feel as though the site's community may benefit from taking a harsher stance against pseudo 'feedback' threads that make it clear that the creator is, in fact, not really interested in listening to views outside of what they believe.

To use an example:

Let's say that I create a thread asking if it's possible to role-play Minfilia's brother. Obviously a lot of role-players wouldn't be keen on the idea of someone role-playing the sibling of a major lore character and would attempt to persuade me not to do it by explaining how it isn't really plausible.

If I were to then harass them and call them 'elitists' or just go ahead and do it anyway without taking their responses into account then it would become clear that I did, in fact, have no real interest in a debate/feedback and simply wished to be fawned over and told how awesome my idea was.

I hope I've explained this well enough - and yes, it's largely inspired by certain recent threads - but I'm happy to give further elaboration if needed.

Furthermore I also hope that a harsher stance will be taken against those who constantly wander into a thread and attempt to derail it by claiming that someone is trying to 'police' role-play even if nobody is saying 'you are not allowed to do that'. I'd like to think that we should all be able to post (within the confines of the site's rules) without feeling the need to lace our every sentence with disclaimers to prevent that from happening in a debate/discussion.

A bit of an update on some common requests: the wiki Infobox-character template now has a "Server" field that, if provided, will automatically tag your character into a server-appropriate category. It handles all servers with a known RP population on them (Balmung, Gilgamesh, Jenova, Moogle, Famfrit, Hyperion, and Siren).

The Infobox-character also now handles Doman and Au Ra characters correctly. Currently, since the land that was once Doma is still part of the Garlean Empire in lore, Doman characters show the Garlean flag in their infobox. Should a Doman flag be made available by SE, we'll change it accordingly.

So, if you were adding server, Doman, or Au Ra categories to your pages before, you can take them off if you're using Infobox-character.

It'd be awesome if someone would Be Bold and create Lore:Au Ra in the vein of the current category pages for races such as Category:Hyur (which I'll eventually move to Lore:Hyur :) ).

Bold? Not me. Not until I have more time, anyway.

*glances suggestively at loremeisters*

I've had PMs asking if we can add the Ala Mhigo flag to the corresponding tag. I understand that we currently have Ala Mhigo set to display the Garlean flag, given that the territory is occupied by the Empire at this time.

Is an Ala Mhigan flag something folks would want for their infobox? Perhaps for characters who remain loyal to Ala Mhigo. Resistance fighters, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like Lore should be moved outside of the general FFXIV discussion and be made its own subforum in the FFXIV section.

So FFXIV would be

News

Discussion

Lore

I would very much like feedback on this. Most of the lore posts in the RP discussion forums is still very much mostly about lore and less about actual RP. And the lore threads are scattered between FFXIV discussion (which says it includes lore) and in RP discussion.

There's even a general Lore discussion thread in there.

So FFXIV would be

News

Discussion

Lore

I would very much like feedback on this. Most of the lore posts in the RP discussion forums is still very much mostly about lore and less about actual RP. And the lore threads are scattered between FFXIV discussion (which says it includes lore) and in RP discussion.

There's even a general Lore discussion thread in there.

Nevermind the fact that the lore threads are stated to be in FFXIV Discussion and yet most of the FFXIV Lore threads in the RP discussion subforum barely have 1-5 posts focusing on RP in the thread and are more about -lore- than RP.

Look at the Lalafell Age thread and even the WoL/Hydaelyn's Chosen / Bringer of Light thread or even the Ishgardian Social/Class Structure threads.

There are in fact many threads that are more focused around RP and checking a character concept against lore, but there's a lot of general threads that are more about just knowing what the lore -is-.

And I think our forums deserve a dedicated Lore Subforum.

I know it's been a while since I last asked, so I was wondering if there were still ideas to give us the option to hide the picture gallery from the main forum page?

You can do this now. :) Click on your username in the upper left corner, then click "User CP". Click "Group Memberships" under Miscellaneous, then click "Join Group" next to "No Gallery." As long as you're in the No Gallery group, the gallery will be hidden from the main page.

You can use the same technique with the "No Chat" group to hide the chat system.

I know it's been a while since I last asked, so I was wondering if there were still ideas to give us the option to hide the picture gallery from the main forum page?

You can do this now. :) Click on your username in the upper left corner, then click "User CP". Click "Group Memberships" under Miscellaneous, then click "Join Group" next to "No Gallery." As long as you're in the No Gallery group, the gallery will be hidden from the main page.

You can use the same technique with the "No Chat" group to hide the chat system.

Thank you! That's great! :moogle:

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anyway to change how the RPC interacts with images in the forums?

I want to make a clickable image so that the image goes to the wiki... but the typical coding doesn't seem to work

Which is

[url=https://wiki.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/pages/Kage_Kiryuu][img=http://i.imgur.com/DNzVPBy.png][/url]

I'm not sure if it was custom programming / plugin (I suspect so)

But signature displays. Is it possible to make it so that the last post on the page for each person is the only one that displays signature?

For example, this will be the last post for me for now. This very post will have the signature (griffin image) and not the past posts.

Is there anyway to change how the RPC interacts with images in the forums?

I want to make a clickable image so that the image goes to the wiki... but the typical coding doesn't seem to work

Which is

[url=https://wiki.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/pages/Kage_Kiryuu][img=http://i.imgur.com/DNzVPBy.png][/url]

Unfortunately, this is a limitation of the Highslide script that makes the image zoom out in a cool way. I could add a new special image tag for image links if people were interested in that, though; it wouldn't zoom at all, but it would link out correctly.

Also, is there something in the works to make Ignoring someone on the RPC forums less awkward? Last i heard, the site would tell the person you added them to your buddy list.

That's a MyBB "feature," for what it's worth (or, rather, a feature of the notification system). I'll take a look at the code to see if there's any way to stop that, since IMO, ignoring someone should send no notification to them.

I'm not sure if it was custom programming / plugin (I suspect so)

But signature displays. Is it possible to make it so that the last post on the page for each person is the only one that displays signature?

For example, this will be the last post for me for now. This very post will have the signature (griffin image) and not the past posts.

That'd definitely be something custom, yeah. There may be a plugin available to do it, though -- I'll look!