Suggestion for Site/Forums

I don't know if this has been posted about before, but for some reason if a YouTube URL shows up in a forum post at all, no matter what tags it's surrounded by (or even if there are no tags around it), it'll embed the video in the post and potentially eat up other text around it after automatically reformattting on its own. That's frustrating to me and defeats the purpose of even having tags, if just putting a YouTube video's url in a post does the same thing.

Sometimes I just want to put a video in a [/url] tag, y'know? Especially if I want to link multiple videos in the same post. Putting it inside a

or [/code] tag seems to be the only way to prevent it from doing that.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the work of the AutoMedia plugin, which auto-embeds videos and the like. It's supposed to make things easier for the "typical" use case, which is to embed the video instead of linking to it. The reason it's not easy to defeat is because some MyBB tags convert to HTML before plugins and some convert after plugins; also, AutoMedia does a regex search of a post, so defeating it really involves applying some tag that runs before the plugin and "hides" the URL.

Unfortunately, just about anything we do will break someone's workflow. :( I bet if we turned AutoMedia off, we'd have someone asking why it's so hard to embed videos now, since you used to just be able to put them in the post and...

I tried quoting and then when I previewed it killed my response.

SO!

FreelanceWizard, thank you! I would appreciate any efforts you can put towards getting the ignore feature to not notify someone and possibly working in the url/image clickables.

The thing with the latter is just so weird when I see my own posts and the griffin photobomb appears all the time. >.>;

Another suggestion or question?

PMs. The way this forum does PMs is not quite what I'm used to in other forums.

Can we see a list of recipients?

Example: If I send one to the 5 max, can the others see that I sent it to other people besides them?

This should also let me, the original sender know if others who received the PM used the Reply ALL or just Reply.

I typically love icons but perhaps a text button that says "Reply" and "Reply All" may make it more noticeable for recipients as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Taken from the thread for more visibility.

Is it possible to include on the Member List a column that would allow us to sort or filter by server?

I'm going to quote this for the suggestions sticky.

Not quite knowing how it works, but I think it might be possible as forums allow you to sort by Linkshell. I assume that means it can sort by server if people actually put that in.

... people without linkshells just will go to the front or back of the list etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I've considered writing this for quite some time, though I decided to wait and see if things settled down a bit in case the subject of my suggestion was simply a one off affair. Since it seems as though it isn't limited to that, however, I feel like I need to post this.

In short, I'd like to see tighter moderation within the site's chat. Usually it's a friendly enough place to discuss all sorts of things related to the game itself, role-play or even real life affairs and that's pretty great! Yet quite often I've entered the chat only to find that certain individuals- including a couple of the moderators - have been actively mocking or discussing whatever drama or controversial thread is plaguing the site at that precise moment.

Now I take an issue with this for a number of reasons, so I'll try and list them as best I can:

- More often than not the individuals being ridiculed/discussed aren't even in the chat to defend themselves.

- It comes off as rather 'cliquey' and isn't particularly constructive in regards to creating a positive and pleasant atmosphere within the chat itself.

- The moderators are human and will no doubt chuckle to themselves/vent their frustration in regards to some of the things that they have to deal with. I feel it's only fair that they don't do this in public, however.

- Negativity/ridicule usually spawns more negativity and ridicule. Especially when there's an audience.

- If a thread/post is problematic enough to stir debate elsewhere in the site and the tone is becoming negative then surely that is a sign that the thread should either be locked or the problematic posts are removed?

This isn't meant as an attack on the moderation team. It's simply a suggestion that I wished to put forward. It may or may not be taken on board and that's perfectly fine! I simply wished to say my piece.

I've noticed even on the forums moderators taking passive aggressive jabs at certain people in the thread, or locking a thread or asking for an argument to stop only after throwing in their own two cents, and it comes off as a really petty attempt to get the last word in. I've also seen a lot of comments along the lines of--if not verbatim--"Stop complaining and we'll get to it faster," or "You being negative makes us want to deal with the problem less."

This is a really horrible attitude for moderators and I'd really like to see them stop making comments like this. Your job is to receive complaints and concerns from people here. While you may perceive it as proof of needless negativity, if folks are getting frustrated and upset, it's because they care about the RPC and are concerned with something that's happening, which should be a good thing. Yes, I understand it's frustrating to have people gripe at you while you're trying to fix something. I've been there. But making some snippy comment at people who are voicing concerns is a waste of your own time when you could be spending that time fixing what is upsetting them, and it only increases animosity toward the moderators.

People being rude to you may make you want to help them less. But guess what? Moderators being rude back to RPC members will make them want to respect and be polite to you less. It's an endless cycle, but once you've taken up the title of "moderator," it's your responsibility to be the bigger person and be the one to break the cycle. And if you need to vent, by all the means, go vent--but don't do it openly on the forums, and don't direct it toward the people who are trying to bring up an issue to you, even if not in the best of ways.

tl;dr - Stop tone-policing and do your jobs.

Is there anyway to change how the RPC interacts with images in the forums?

I want to make a clickable image so that the image goes to the wiki... but the typical coding doesn't seem to work

Which is

[url=https://wiki.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/pages/Kage_Kiryuu][img=http://i.imgur.com/DNzVPBy.png][/url]

Unfortunately, this is a limitation of the Highslide script that makes the image zoom out in a cool way. I could add a new special image tag for image links if people were interested in that, though; it wouldn't zoom at all, but it would link out correctly.

And we now have this tag! "[picture]" instead of "" will display an inline image that can be wrapped in a URL tag for linking. It won't do the fancy highslide zoom, but it will link out. The maximum size is 550px.

Not much of a technical update, I know, but hey, progress! :)

Sorting and filtering by server is still something I'm working on. The backport from MyBB 1.8 is a bit more challenging than it seemed at first glance.

As for the PM question, I'm not entirely sure about that. I'll need to do some testing. I can definitely make the icons more clear (I, too, have hit Reply instead of Reply All) if nothing else. Altering the PM functionality itself may be getting a bit too "custom code" unless I can find a plugin that does it.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to filter Recent Active Threads, even on just user end? This way threads from certain sections of the forum *cough*NoMod'sLand*cough* or even Off-Topic in general, are not in there?

As Natalie pointed out, I really sure hope there is a way. I'd like to be able to see stuff of substance. As much as No Mods Land is amusing.

Is there a way to filter Recent Active Threads, even on just user end? This way threads from certain sections of the forum *cough*NoMod'sLand*cough* or even Off-Topic in general, are not in there?

As Natalie pointed out, I really sure hope there is a way. I'd like to be able to see stuff of substance. As much as No Mods Land is amusing.

I've always wanted to filter out Off-Topic out of it, while nice I don't care for the compliments thread in that feed. I'll be sad for others not taking place but it's not a forum I really care to always have in that feed.

And there is now a perfectly good reason to look into it. >.>

As a person who definitely, 100%, absolutely wants to never see that forum, you can rest assured I am currently working on it.

EDIT: A temporary fix is in place right now. We're working on the final one.

-Walks up with tattered coat, broken leg, and a crutch made out of the local homeless guy's box-

Pl-please sir, let us have our board.

-Holds up an empty soda can-

This is the opt-in function for the forum itself. If you do not opt in, you will never see the forum or any of its posts.

I'm currently (right now, in fact :) ) adding an "opt-out" field for that forum and Off-Topic Discussion to the Profile in the User CP. You can go ahead and pop in there and set those checkboxes now if you want; once I finish the template coding in a few minutes, that will hide posts in those forums from Recent Threads even if you've opted in.

This is the opt-in function for the forum itself. If you do not opt in, you will never see the forum or any of its posts.

I'm currently (right now, in fact :) ) adding an "opt-out" field for that forum and Off-Topic Discussion to the Profile in the User CP. You can go ahead and pop in there and set those checkboxes now if you want; once I finish the template coding in a few minutes, that will hide posts in those forums from Recent Threads even if you've opted in.

Please. Please, please, please. Moderators and admins need this. We need to be able to view the board in case there's any illegal activity... but we'd rather not have the Recent Threads flooded.

:love: :love: :love:

And like magic, there you go. :)

In your profile, you can check off which of the two off-topic forums, if any, you no longer want to see in Recent Threads. Please note that, because of limitations in our forum software, if you opt out of both and are also opted into No Mod's Land, it's entirely possible you may see no recent threads. I'll keep looking for a way to work around that, but it has to do with some Deep Magic in the forum software and how it builds that list.

Thank you :3 I can definitely live with this.

Freelance Wizard is a Wizard!

I am about to test it but man the perfect thing would be able to access the subforum, not have it in the Latest section and still have 8 threads show in that bar.

I am about to test it but man the perfect thing would be able to access the subforum, not have it in the Latest section and still have 8 threads show in that bar.

Yeah, it's that last part that's the pain. :(

The reason why is that the recent threads list is generated deep in the bowels of the software, and the new custom profile threads actually operate in the templates, right as it's rendering the page. So, the template is called 8 times from the forum software, and what it does is check to see if you've opted out of the forum in question. If so, it noms the link (and puts a nice comment in to tell you so in the HTML).

The tough part is getting the bowels of the software to do that checking instead. I may be able to write a plugin or patch to do this... stay tuned. :D

It does if you click the word "Last Post". :)

I must be blind. In the sidebar on the left of Recent Posts I only have the option to click on the OP of the thread, there's no sub-arrow or link to Latest Post. That's only there if I click the link in the actual "Last post" on the forum side, on the right.

Rn42wtn.png

Right there.

It does if you click the word "Last Post". :)

I must be blind. In the sidebar on the left of Recent Posts I only have the option to click on the OP of the thread, there's no sub-arrow or link to Latest Post. That's only there if I click the link in the actual "Last post" on the forum side, on the right.

Rn42wtn.png

Right there.

OH MY GOD I AM FUCKING BLIND