Suggestion for Site/Forums

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there possibly a way to unsubscribe to threads you've made? xD;

EDIT: User CP (Control Panel) -> Alerts -> Alert Settings, take off the checkmark from "Receive alert when somebody replies to your thread?"

For regular subscriptions,

User CP (Control Panel) -> Miscellaneous -> Subscribed Threads -> Check the thread you wish to unsubscribe from, select "Delete Subscriptions" and click "Go".

But I only want it done for specific threads and not all of them xD;

Not sure that that can currently be done without removing the alerts and manually subscribing to your own threads that you're interested in.

Might be worth looking into as a feature, FW would know better than I.

But I only want it done for specific threads and not all of them xD;

Clarify further.

If you just want the threads you've made, you can use the search feature for that. Options are under Advanced Search.

Do a search from username, threads only. There's no batch unsub, but you can at least get an easy list to click through.

I like the default option of having the threads I've made notify me that someone has replied to it.

But there are certain threads I've made (very small amount), such as this one, that I feel doesn't particularly warrant me knowing "asap" that it has been replied to.

And I can't just hit the unsubscribe to thread because I'm not listed as subscribed in the first place.

I think this weirdness is the result of the fact that we have a mod that does notifications as well as MyBB's native thread subscription system. So, the alert comes from the mod, and can only be turned off globally; alerts there don't show up in the subscription list.

However, there's a way you can work around this. Turn off "Receive alert when somebody replies to your thread?" in your Alerts. Then, in Edit Options, set your "Default Thread Subscription Mode" to one of the two options (depending on whether you want an e-mail or not). That will subscribe you by default to any thread you start. You can then selectively remove those subscriptions in Subscribed Threads.

I think this weirdness is the result of the fact that we have a mod that does notifications as well as MyBB's native thread subscription system. So, the alert comes from the mod, and can only be turned off globally; alerts there don't show up in the subscription list.

However, there's a way you can work around this. Turn off "Receive alert when somebody replies to your thread?" in your Alerts. Then, in Edit Options, set your "Default Thread Subscription Mode" to one of the two options (depending on whether you want an e-mail or not). That will subscribe you by default to any thread you start. You can then selectively remove those subscriptions in Subscribed Threads.

Is the subscriptions retroactive?

I turned off alerts and then went to the Subscription mode (telling it no emails with the assumption it would however still notify me) but my subscriptions list is completely empty.

Unfortunately, no, the subscriptions change would not be retroactive. You'd need to go subscribe to older threads for which you want notifications.

"FIND ALL OF YOUR THREADS" button on the main User CP menu is a godsend for tracking down every thread you've ever made, and should help anyone who wants to go subscribe to their own discussions after disabling self-alerts.

Is there a way to tie the UTC timezone provider to the settings used for the forums? I admit my ignorance to UTC and while it seems to be essentially GMT, the changes that (STUPID AMERICA) daylight savings time presents is confusing to me. Also how it deals much more with latitude and longitude and other parts of the hemisphere designations or something.

... I'm just not sure if I will properly convert it etc.

((As it is I follow PST/PDT GMT-8 so I -believe- I am UTC-8 ... ))

I suggest to add a "Guide / Lore" section under the RP discussion forum so we can separate people who discuss about RP in general or ask some questions from those who are working on some guides or gather some lore to make some big informative posts. It would be really easier to find what you're looking for and to valorise the people work that way rather than in the middle of those thousands topic all together :dazed:

Just thought of another thing which could work : Adding some tags to select for that section such as guides / Lore / Questions / general (dunno what others) and allowing us to do a tag search (I had that on my old university forum)

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe we can do it so if a users gets enough reports (IE 10?) they just can't post for a few hours. Which will work until a mod gets on.

I think maybe a time limit in between posts? If it is a bot it is obviously doing it like once a minute. I know some forums who make new users wait 5 minutes between posts.

Maybe we can do it so if a users gets enough reports (IE 10?) they just can't post for a few hours. Which will work until a mod gets on.

I think maybe a time limit in between posts? If it is a bot it is obviously doing it like once a minute. I know some forums who make new users wait 5 minutes between posts.

We have an anti-flood rule in place. ...but it's only a minute or so

The only really effective solution against spammers I've found is a two-fold approach of relatively easy lore-based registration questions (which will need to be rotated now, since the spambots have figured them out, probably via Mechanical Turk) and massive IP bans at the web server level (which I typically do whenever a spammer is detected, since they usually don't come from residential netblocks).

So, if you have some good question ideas, PM them over and we'll do a question rotation. Posting them publicly won't work because then the spambots can index them. :)