Very new to roleplaying in this game - Weird situation

Hi, 

I recently picked up this game for PS4 and have made a few good friends on Mateus. The server I made my character on. Even better was I found out the server is a role-playing server so it has been good to meet new people and have fun through role-playing with them. I'm still rather novice at it so I have a lot to learn but I think I'm doing OK.

However I had a rather odd experience today with someone who I was meant to role-play with and I'm feeling a bit down because of it. Kind of wondering if it's normal? I guess. We were going to the place where we were going to start the Role-play in Central Shroud and talking through the course of getting there explaining what our characters were like etc and he seemed genuinely interested. When we got to the location where the role play was meant to take place, he told me I could start so I started by introducing my character and giving a few formalities as I usually do and about a minute after sending the tell to him, he just immediately logs out without typing anything. I spoke to my friend and it seems the person in question did exactly the same thing to them too. It has left me feeling really, really confused about the whole situation.
Is this a common thing people do? As I say I'm still learning to role-play and this took me completely by surprise but it has caused me to be in a rather bad mood since.

No this is not normal at all and I can say iv had a somewhat similar experience. I would say that you either met someone that wasnt to sure what to do, wanted to ERP and saw you werent going that way, or they just wanted to troll you. Dont let it bother yoy to much, many more people on this server trt to RP for real and make it a fun experience for all. Best of luck, and if you see Ashram, say hi :)

That's...odd. Honestly, I'd let it roll off your back. It could be a million things causing this to the point where it's hardly worth guessing at. To be frank, it's not you. If someone really wants to RP with you they'll put forth the effort and when they don't just simply move along, find new contacts. It's natural to be a little dismayed but it passes.

4 hours ago, Curiousrper said:

Hi, 

I recently picked up this game for PS4 and have made a few good friends on Mateus. The server I made my character on. Even better was I found out the server is a role-playing server so it has been good to meet new people and have fun through role-playing with them. I'm still rather novice at it so I have a lot to learn but I think I'm doing OK.

However I had a rather odd experience today with someone who I was meant to role-play with and I'm feeling a bit down because of it. Kind of wondering if it's normal? I guess. We were going to the place where we were going to start the Role-play in Central Shroud and talking through the course of getting there explaining what our characters were like etc and he seemed genuinely interested. When we got to the location where the role play was meant to take place, he told me I could start so I started by introducing my character and giving a few formalities as I usually do and about a minute after sending the tell to him, he just immediately logs out without typing anything. I spoke to my friend and it seems the person in question did exactly the same thing to them too. It has left me feeling really, really confused about the whole situation.
Is this a common thing people do? As I say I'm still learning to role-play and this took me completely by surprise but it has caused me to be in a rather bad mood since.

People are weird.  There's not really any explanation for why they did that - again, people are just weird.

I wouldn't let it get to you.  If someone is that odd, you're better off not RPing with them, tbh.

It doesn't sound like something worth being bummed out over, it's certainly normal to be disappointed, but don't let it linger. You could try to clarify with them if they have an unstable internet connection, but then again I'd think it be on them to reach out and try to clarify if it was a mishap.
The best you can do is to let people know you're still fresh to the world of RP and then get the best RP out of whatever situations comes your way. People who act like that with malintent though, are never worth wasting time on, imo ^^

Think of the coolest person you know. Now imagine the YouTube comment section was also a person. Now imagine they have three grown kids together: one just like mom, one.just like dad, and one where it depends on the day. These three are collectively the RP community, and you have to decide if your engagement with your beloved Cool Person Jr. Is worth enough to occasionally deal with your in-laws.

I would say yes, it is, and the key to a happy union is learning how to not let these in-laws ruin your otherwise happy time. 

But anyroad, welcome to Mateus! Feel free to send me a message if you need help with anything like crafting or dungeon queues.

Unless that person had connection issues or something came up in real life that necessitated logging out in a hurry - that is very, very unusual. If you see that player again it might be worth asking what happened - it's possible the other player may want to apologize, but unless you're on each others friend lists there's no way to initiate contact besides hoping to see you in game again - but since it sounds like it's happened to someone else you'd be perfectly justified in being cautious till you're certain that it indeed was something beyond the other player's control.

Anyway, outside of this one incident, I hope you're having fun. Overall I've found Mateus to be a good place for RP (there's bad apples everywhere, but in my experience there's less of them here than other games I've played). And if you see a Tregarde, feel free to strike up some RP.

Yeah, sounds a bit odd. Folks seem to have the right of it here. Either a weird dc issue or perhaps something else entirely. I certainly wouldn't consider it common, and wouldn't worry too much about it. Mateus has a lot of rpers, and I'm sure you'll find folks who you mesh with. Good luck and enjoy your time!

• 3 weeks later...

While this is odd it's not uncommon.  It's something I've noticed from time to time and it can have a wide range of explanations.

- They're in a RL situation that forces them to have lack of control over their ability to play the game.  E.g. a kid with a strict parent.  A wife that doesn't approve.

- They have a shitty internet connection.

- They have poor social skills and just changed their mind without communicating it to you.

I've been engaged in roleplays I thought were even going really well and in the middle of it they just vanish and log out.

• 2 weeks later...

From experience in past MMOs, this sort of things happens.

This thread is a little old, so sorry for posting here again, but I'd really hate for a new RPer to quit a unique and fun hobby because of a bad experience like this. As others have said, sometimes there's a random DC, sometimes it's a deeper reason. Even if this person looks like they have a pattern, it might not be malicious; they could have a bad internet connection or limited access to the internet. And if it turns out they don't want to RP with you, that's an unfortunate fact that you would have to accept. Like in life, not everyone gets along; the same goes for RP communities. Even if two people might not have characters or writing styles that mesh, that's not a personal attack. It happens, and as long as you're trying your best - and much more importantly, having fun - most people won't mind. There's nothing wrong with being new to anything.

I hope you have better luck finding RP partners in the future!