Balmung still a good server for european RP'ers?

Nymfia

So I haven't been playing for a long time but am planning to return soon to FF14. Is Balmung still a server with a high population of EU roleplayers? I remember it used to be because there wasn't a EU RP server (or even EU servers at all in the beginning), but not sure if that's now the case as there appears to be a EU RP server now. 

Is it still true that the majority of EU Roleplayers are on Balmung or are most now on EU and has the EU RP server Omega sort of become the "Argent Dawn" of FF14? 

Also a follow up question, is it correct that all the inhabitants on the servers in the data center Chrystal can now visit each other, so having a character on the Balmung server means I won't have to go to the trouble of worrying about Mateus as I can simply visit there if there is an RP event taking place there? 

Edited by Nymfia

EU RPers are mostly split between Balmung and Omega. I wouldn't transfer off of Balmung if you have a character there, but would recommend making an alt on Omega first, so you can get a better feeling for the sorts of platers on each.

As far as I know, RP in FFXIV is still nothing like Argent Dawn in WoW.

Cross-World visits aren't enabled yet. That feature will be getting enabled AFTER the North American data center reorganization in mid-late April. (So once Crystal DC is a thing). Once it is done though, you should be able to visit any world within that data center, although we don't know if congested worlds are going to be restricted or not.

They happen on the same day, iirc. Given how we can expect SE to program, the entries are likely hardcoded per datacenter in the client scripts and I can't imagine them turning a feature like this on only to have to do major maintenance for it shortly after that isn't bug-related.

1641caec82.png

Balmung has probably the biggest number of RPers which includes a lot of EU RPers. My experience is you can find RP around the clock though events tend to be from later EU evening and into the early hours (NA evenings). One thing that EU suffers on Balmung (and all NA servers) is the 180ms+ ping that make end game content (savage+) difficult, so much so I don't even bother with savage/hardcore-raids (the normal versions are fine).

I hear that Mateus also has an active EU RP population too. So come the visiting capability it could get quite interesting.

I don't have much information on Omega, but I would suggest checking out calender events on this forum that shows the events for RP servers and you will see where a lot of effort is going.

18 minutes ago, Nymfia said:

Thanks for the info everyone! Is the lag really that bad? I remember being able to do groups and 10 mans just fine. I'm not a hardcore raider though, not sure if I'll even can play savage+ as a somewhat casual gamer.

Before the NA datacenter move, the servers were on the east coast, USA. After, they're now on the west coast. There's a bit more latency than before, but the game itself isn't fully unplayable. I'd make a character on an open NA server to test out what the connection will feel like first, however!

Should be totally fine for most content, even savage. I play the most ping atrocious job in savage and have cleared everything.

Latency will just start to prove infuriating when you will try to optimize some fights or ping sensitive jobs at high level, at best.

Past that point it's mostly a problem of comfort. VPNs can also help a great deal.

Edited by Valence
17 hours ago, The Frozen Link said:

I suppose there's no chance there will be an EU rp server on Light as well? :(

I rather hope not.  There is still plenty of room on Omega, so there is absolutely no need for a second EU rp server currently, and if another was added it would be better to have it in the same datacenter as Omega so people on either could visit with the upcoming world visit system.

There's about 4-5 european guilds on Balmung to my knowledge, so I'd say there's still plenty opportunity. Also a lot of europeans hiding in NA guilds with bad sleeping patterns :) There's also a lot of NA players who likes to RP during the daytime. 

On 4/9/2019 at 11:45 AM, Skae said:

I rather hope not.  There is still plenty of room on Omega, so there is absolutely no need for a second EU rp server currently, and if another was added it would be better to have it in the same datacenter as Omega so people on either could visit with the upcoming world visit system.

A shame for those who wish to interact with the RP community but does not have the ability to server transfer (well, Data Center transfer) though.