Arguments For Marriage Equality in Eorzea

Alerting you to blatant thoughtcrimes is a favor, not a negative line being crossed. If you see it purely as malicious, that is not my intent. I do apologize if you took it as such, but I do not apologize for pointing it out.

Thoughtcrimes? This is not 1984 (the novel). There is absolutely nothing wrong with being passionate about opposing inequality, but there's certainly something wrong with telling said passionate person that they need to stop.

Really?

"white knights that support passive-discrimination." - To anyone not sharing the exact same viewpoint.

"Should I be tolerant of gay people being put to death in the Middle East because it's "their culture?" So now we're supposed to accept horrible bigotry and discrimination and evil acts simply because it's someone else's culture?" - To asking for patience and tolerance for the Japanese culture that SquareEnix is rooted in.

This is suddenly acceptable? Really? These statements are 'passionate'?

Snip~

You missed my point, and I'll clarify; I noted that an MMO has not launched with, or confirmed before launch, with gay marriage/romance as a feature. And apparently I am correct on this.

What I am saying is, basically, there is a chance, slim or otherwise, that FFXIV could be, again this is just a chance in this crazy world we live in, banned or otherwise forced into an 18+ or higher rating, for having this feature, due to how some countries (many) view it.

That is basically all I'm saying for anyone who thinks having it confirmed RIGHT NOW will not hurt SquareEnix at all, period. The fact is, a dumb chance does exist, because the world sucks like that.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So to be clear the off random chance that the gamy may get an unfairly higher rating because of bigots means we need to just chillax and hope maybe one day Square decides to acknowledge we exist, but also we can't be TOO forceful about it otherwise we're just bad bad uppity gays? So basically just 'hey trust the guys who said maybe someday'?

I'd rather they take the hit and show they can be progressive, forward-thinking entities than perpetuating the cultural stagnation in Japan.

I'm engaged to a Japanese woman. I'm sitting right next to her now, and she would tell you firsthand just how fucked-up her culture is, especially in regards to homosexuality. She is incredibly grateful that she lives in a country that doesn't all but hold her at gunpoint and force her into the heteronormative baby-making wife paradigm.

Are you a weeaboo? Do you think Japan is the best planet in the universe? Do you wish you were Japanese or something? I've been to Japan. I'm engaged to a Japanese woman. I know that Japan is not any sort of utopia. It's got problems, major problems, and their view of homosexuality is seriously regressive and totally terrible.

So no, I don't respect Japan's culture where it is used to oppress people. I am intolerant of intolerance, and if you aren't, I hope you're happy being oppressed, because that's all you're going to get if you just "deal with it."

No, you should be tolerant of Yoshi-P and the FFXIV developers, because they are actually acknowledging the requests of far more reasonable and far more deserving individuals. Your demands are being looked into. Your equality is being acknowledged.

So the bus-driver said to Miss Rosa Parks: "I acknowledge your request to not sit at the back of the bus, but just sit back there for now and once we're on the road and moving we'll see what the rest of the bus thinks and maybe you can move up to sit with everyone else later." And then Miss Rosa Parks sat in the back for the bus because she understood that her tacitly accepting oppression when it is polite is actually a kind of equality.

That's exactly how it happened, right?

But... Rosa Parks didn't curse out everyone on the bus and act like a banshee. She just refused with a high chin.

Mind you, I'm on your side. I do RP gay characters. I am gay IRL. My only issue is that people are now attacking each other over this to the point where people who may not have an opinion are losing a lot of sympathy for our side.

I think you're over-accepting Reppu's mischaracterizations of things that have been said in this thread. They is actually very little vitriol being directed at SE over this. Are we calling them discriminatory? Yes. We are calling them that because that is how they are behaving. Are we being sensitive to Japanese culture? No. We are not Japanese and cultural aspects that actively discriminate against us do not warrant our sensitivities. If we have to fight against Japanese cultural norms, then we will fight against Japanese cultural norms.

Nobody in here, as far as I can see, has gone as far as to "act like a banshee". Instead we have been tactfully expressing our anger in ways that, while they no doubt exude frustration and offense, also communicate the source of that frustration and offense.

Certain people in this thread are just misrepresenting these as somehow exceptionally vitriolic or vehement, which they are not. The oppressed have every right to be angry, and anyone trying to misrepresent that as "toxic" or unreasonable is completely in the wrong. And besides, they're responding to tone, which is not debate.

May Rosa Parks analogy is not a response to the vitriolic accusations. It is applying Reppu's exact logic to an alternate situation. You cannot say that the logic applies to this situation but not that one, because that isn't how logic works. If Reppu's "respect the oppressor" logic doesn't work in all cases, then the logic is flawed.

I'm shocked and quite frankly disgusted that magic, cat-people and so on can exist in this game but non-hetero marriage is apparently too much. I've read the "Japanese culture can't handle it" excuse many times in this thread and, in my opinion, it doesn't fly. I wouldn't accept that for racism so why should I accept it for homophobia? I'm writing SE to explain exactly how I feel on this subject; probably will be ignored but it's all I can do.

My ideal resolution? Either allow marriage to be free of restrictions or don't implement it at all.

So to be clear the off random chance that the gamy may get an unfairly higher rating because of bigots means we need to just chillax and hope maybe one day Square decides to acknowledge we exist, but also we can't be TOO forceful about it otherwise we're just bad bad uppity gays? So basically just 'hey trust the guys who said maybe someday'?

No one said to 'chillax' and ignore the issue at hand. This is another extreme statement and is twisting what everyone is saying.

What is being asked is to put trust in Yoshida to deliver a favorable outcome. What is being asked is to understand the cultural difference, but not accept it. It is to show tolerance, but not tolerance to intolerance.

We're not being violently opposed. We're actually being listened to. We're being shown understanding and empathy. In turn, this should provoke understanding and empathy. This should provoke patience, while keeping the fire burning, and the anvil hot.

Just in case we need to reforge our weapons. But if you continue attacking? If you continue forcefully pushing? You will lose that empathy, and you will lose that understanding.

No one wants to be bullied. No one should EVER be bullied.

And using Microsoft as an example is silly and needs to stop. There's a difference between being told to shut up and like it, and being told that the issue is being looked into.

I'm shocked and quite frankly disgusted that magic, cat-people and so on can exist in this game but non-hetero marriage is apparently too much. I've read the "Japanese culture can't handle it" excuse many times in this thread and, in my opinion, it doesn't fly. I wouldn't accept that for racism so why should I accept it for homophobia? I'm writing SE to explain exactly how I feel on this subject; probably will be ignored but it's all I can do.

My ideal resolution? Either allow marriage to be free of restrictions or don't implement it at all.

My fiancee just had the idea of getting me to write an open letter to Square-Enix on this topic that she will translate into Japanese. We will post this letter on the official FFXIV forums as well as sending it in e-mail form to Square-Enix.

Reppu, I am not sure what you mean. I am reading a little negativity there with the short, 2 word reply though. I wont engage you for the purpose of this discussion if that's the case. Sorry about anything I may have caused.

I'm a little lost with your reply Colyer, but I don't think I am getting any closer to my inquiry at the moment.

Adelpha, I am not sure what happened before in 1.0 but player history wouldn't matter in this case. It's just like with introduction of new genders suddenly... people have to change their backgrounds. I am sympathetic, but I don't think lore should be effected by what happened before.

Sometimes you only need a short response. I try not to always flood my posts with words, when I can be a minimalist. Since apparently that failed me this time...

"I have my extreme doubts that it would be frowned upon, dangerous, or otherwise shunned or reported to show homosexual affection in both a roleplaying and real sense within FFXIV, intolerable and ignorant individuals non-witstanding.'

That is what I would have said, were I not trying to be a minimalist. The same thing I've been saying to you thus far. :P

-

Also, 1.0 is a very real part of the lore. If you're looking to disregard it, it sounds like you're joining Gilgamesh, since it seems a few people there are gungho for "1.0 never happened"?

*rolls eyes at this*

Something like this didn't even need to be said at all. Because A. It isn't true in the least and B. Why should something like this even be said in this thread? Its honestly insulting and has nothing to do with the topic at hand at all.

I'm going to walk away from this fallacy.

No, you should be tolerant of Yoshi-P and the FFXIV developers, because they are actually acknowledging the requests of far more reasonable and far more deserving individuals. Your demands are being looked into. Your equality is being acknowledged.

So the bus-driver said to Miss Rosa Parks: "I acknowledge your request to not sit at the back of the bus, but just sit back there for now and once we're on the road and moving we'll see what the rest of the bus thinks and maybe you can move up to sit with everyone else later." And then Miss Rosa Parks sat in the back for the bus because she understood that her tacitly accepting oppression when it is polite is actually a kind of equality.

That's exactly how it happened, right?

But... Rosa Parks didn't curse out everyone on the bus and act like a banshee. She just refused with a high chin.

Mind you, I'm on your side. I do RP gay characters. I am gay IRL. My only issue is that people are now attacking each other over this to the point where people who may not have an opinion are losing a lot of sympathy for our side.

I think you're over-accepting Reppu's mischaracterizations of things that have been said in this thread. They is actually very little vitriol being directed at SE over this. Are we calling them discriminatory? Yes. We are calling them that because that is how they are behaving. Are we being sensitive to Japanese culture? No. We are not Japanese and cultural aspects that actively discriminate against us do not warrant our sensitivities. If we have to fight against Japanese cultural norms, then we will fight against Japanese cultural norms.

Nobody in here, as far as I can see, has gone as far as to "act like a banshee". Instead we have been tactfully expressing our anger in ways that, while they no doubt exude frustration and offense, also communicate the source of that frustration and offense.

Certain people in this thread are just misrepresenting these as somehow exceptionally vitriolic or vehement, which they are not. The oppressed have every right to be angry, and anyone trying to misrepresent that as "toxic" or unreasonable is completely in the wrong. And besides, they're responding to tone, which is not debate.

May Rosa Parks analogy is not a response to the vitriolic accusations. It is applying Reppu's exact logic to an alternate situation. You cannot say that the logic applies to this situation but not that one, because that isn't how logic works. If Reppu's "respect the oppressor" logic doesn't work in all cases, then the logic is flawed.

Except your case didn't happen, because history is set in stone. What is reality, now, is we're being heard. We're being understood. We've been shown empathy.

Give me a scenario where this approach has happened, and has failed miserably. Then, you have a case. But when you present utter bollocks and fantasy to undermine my case? You've only just immediately failed yourself.

Being told to shut up and sit down warrants holding you head up high and pushing against the current.

Being told your view is understood and that the stance is being looked into? I, at least, believe this warrants joined empathy.

I look forward to your next post, honestly.

I think everyone's heart is in the right place here. There's just a disagreement on tactics—mostly, anyway.

Perhaps we can make this productive if we can come up with concrete things to do to actually increase the chance of same-sex marriage being supported for 2.1. Posting on the beta forum is obviously doing nothing—the posts just get deleted as trolls flock to them instantly. There's a petition for same-sex marriage in A Realm Reborn: Is it worth getting more people to sign it? Is it appropriate to write letters to Square-Enix?

If we can't come up with anything worth doing, we might as well just relax and wait for 2.1. A squabble on the RPC isn't going to change things no matter how passionate and well-intentioned everyone is.

(Also, if you keep this up, they're just going to lock this thread!)

I'm sorry it's just, why should I trust Yoshida? I mean I love the games he makes, but literally all I know about his view of gay representation is his one 'eh we'll wait for feedback'.

Someone brought up The Old Republic before, remember that when the devs outright said 'yea we'll have gay stuff for companions' and then didn't deliver until Planet of the Gays dropped and we had to spend money for a crappy expansion that had like, two dudes who said "BY THE BY I LIKEA THE DUDES" and that was a win somehow? 

I straight up don't trust people in media about homosexuality being portrayed in a good way until I actually see it, and I have no reason to think I should start it now.

"Should I be tolerant of gay people being put to death in the Middle East because it's "their culture?" So now we're supposed to accept horrible bigotry and discrimination and evil acts simply because it's someone else's culture?" - To asking for patience and tolerance for the Japanese culture that SquareEnix is rooted in.

I didn't say this. Please don't lump everyone together just because it's convenient for your point.

Reppu, I am not sure what you mean. I am reading a little negativity there with the short, 2 word reply though. I wont engage you for the purpose of this discussion if that's the case. Sorry about anything I may have caused.

I'm a little lost with your reply Colyer, but I don't think I am getting any closer to my inquiry at the moment.

Adelpha, I am not sure what happened before in 1.0 but player history wouldn't matter in this case. It's just like with introduction of new genders suddenly... people have to change their backgrounds. I am sympathetic, but I don't think lore should be effected by what happened before.

Sometimes you only need a short response. I try not to always flood my posts with words, when I can be a minimalist. Since apparently that failed me this time...

"I have my extreme doubts that it would be frowned upon, dangerous, or otherwise shunned or reported to show homosexual affection in both a roleplaying and real sense within FFXIV, intolerable and ignorant individuals non-witstanding.'

That is what I would have said, were I not trying to be a minimalist. The same thing I've been saying to you thus far. :P

-

Also, 1.0 is a very real part of the lore. If you're looking to disregard it, it sounds like you're joining Gilgamesh, since it seems a few people there are gungho for "1.0 never happened"?

*rolls eyes at this*

Something like this didn't even need to be said at all. Because A. It isn't true in the least and B. Why should something like this even be said in this thread?

I'm going to walk away from this fallacy.

I've actually seen this tossed around on these very forums. Also, I said 'a few people', because three is 'a few'.

I was not attacking Gilgamesh, or anyone in specific. I was not even attacking anyone. There's no need to get your knickers in a bunch. If I'm wrong and this was not being said (although I believe I could find the individuals saying this if I bothered), my apologies.

But, you can't honestly speak for your entire server. Nor was I saying all of Gilgamesh was doing this.

Thank you.

I didn't say this. Please don't lump everyone together just because it's convenient for your point.

You didn't, you're right. I've said, what, three times now, that your stance is admirable? That despite a few power words, you are someone I admire despite being on the more extreme end of this?

Are you reading my posts that praise you and show empathy?

Square Enix is a company. They will do what is best for their wallets, especially with the company teetering on the edge of financial collapse as it is. The game gaining a higher rating in some countries can adversely effect sales in that country, perhaps even to the point of the game not being profitable.

That is literally the last thing SE wants.

Yelling, kicking and screaming accomplishes nothing if you don't vote with the one thing a consumer has the right to: Their money. If you dislike something a company is doing, don't support their product.

The reason Microsoft changed the XBox One policies? It has nothing to do with any of the 'outrage' but has everything to do the sales numbers. It was easy enough to see on Amazon preorders that the PS4 was outselling the XBox one in preorders. It didn't take a genius to figure out why, either.

So instead of ranting, raving and throwing out rhetoric to try and persuade people that you are right, I encourage people that are negatively affected by this (or anyone that feels passionately enough about the subject) to not support the game. Show Square Enix that they stand to lose more money by not offering marriage equality compared to risking having the game get an 18+ rating in other countries.

Of course, this could all be bunk and they add it in regardless of what anyone says. I dunno.

Either way, I think everyone can agree that Square Enix certainly opened an odd can of worms on themselves by adding this feature in the first place. It's not hard to look at international news and see that homosexual rights is a hot topic all over the world.

I'm sorry it's just, why should I trust Yoshida? I mean I love the games he makes, but literally all I know about his view of gay representation is his one 'eh we'll wait for feedback'.

Someone brought up The Old Republic before, remember that when the devs outright said 'yea we'll have gay stuff for companions' and then didn't deliver until Planet of the Gays dropped and we had to spend money for a crappy expansion that had like, two dudes who said "BY THE BY I LIKEA THE DUDES" and that was a win somehow? 

I straight up don't trust people in media about homosexuality being portrayed in a good way until I actually see it, and I have no reason to think I should start it now.

All I can say to this, and this is unfortunate and sad. To me, personally. But, you're obviously allowed to have this stance.

Also, really? The giant pink planet was kind of facepalm worthy to me from TOR.

Being told to shut up and sit down warrants holding you head up high and pushing against the current.

Being told your view is understood and that the stance is being looked into? I, at least, believe this warrants joined empathy.

You don't know much about corporations, do you?

That response they gave us? That's Corporatese for "We don't give a flying fuck about your desires, because a) you are too small a minority to negatively impact our profits and b) most of you will buy our product anyway."

Corporatese is always polite, even when it's describing to you exactly how they are going to take their six-foot-long engorged penis and shove it directly up your virgin asshole.

Square Enix is a company. They will do what is best for their wallets, especially with the company teetering on the edge of financial collapse as it is. The game gaining a higher rating in some countries can adversely effect sales in that country, perhaps even to the point of the game not being profitable.

Yelling, kicking and screaming accomplishes nothing if you don't vote with the one thing a consumer has the right to: Their money. If you dislike something a company is doing, don't support their product.

The reason Microsoft changed the XBox One policies? It has nothing to do with any of the 'outrage' but has everything to do the sales numbers. It was easy enough to see on Amazon preorders that the PS4 was outselling the XBox one in preorders. It didn't take a genius to figure out why, either.

So instead of ranting, raving and throwing out rhetoric to try and persuade people that you are right, I encourage people that are negatively affected by this (or anyone that feels passionately enough about the subject) to not support the game. Show Square Enix that they stand to lose more money by not offering marriage equality compared to risking having the game get an 18+ rating in other countries.

Of course, this could all be bunk and they add it in regardless of what anyone says. I dunno.

Either way, I think everyone can agree that Square Enix certainly opened an odd can of worms on themselves by adding this feature in the first place. It's not hard to look at international news and see that homosexual rights is a hot topic all over the world.

No one here is ranting and raving and crying, seriously stop this patronizing garbage.

And what, your solution is 'hey if you don't like being ignored maybe you should all leave!'? How does that fix anything?

My fiancee just had the idea of getting me to write an open letter to Square-Enix on this topic that she will translate into Japanese. We will post this letter on the official FFXIV forums as well as sending it in e-mail form to Square-Enix.

This sounds like a good idea to me!

The only thing I'd suggest is to hold off on sending it for awhile. I doubt anyone at Square-Enix has time to read anything right now given their release schedule, especially when it comes to issues that do not concern 2.0. I suspect you'd make far more of an impact if you send it 2–3 weeks after launch.

I'm actually not taking sides. I have my stance and I have expressed it in other venues. I don't accept their culture, personally, but I understand where they are coming from. And I personally find it frustrating as well. (I didn't approve of a lot of the things that have gone on in my life due to prejudice against my race and orientation, but I understand why it exists. Understanding =/= approval or acceptance in any form.) My issue is with everyone focusing their energy on arguing with each other when that passion should be directed to SE.

I think Reppu has valid points as well as Unity. Do I agree more with one than the other? No. I think both could take from each other. The Japanese traditionalism is frustrating, upsetting, and not okay, but it is not the same as the religious extremism and execution of homosexuals in other countries. That is an analogy I cannot get behind.

And I'm willing to admit I was wrong in my interpretation of your intention with mentioning Rosa Parks.

Pretty much this. We have absolutely no reason to trust a company to not discriminate when the norm is to discriminate.

Well, the Japanese tend to focus on their own problems more than the rest of the world. I'm totally agreeing with you that it was pretty silly. But I do kind of get why it happened.

I'm not in favor of a boycott, but by all means. It would show some impact if that's what you want. But... if you're still going to play, what does that say?

I'm not suggesting anything with this. I'm honestly asking 'What does that say?'

You don't know much about corporations, do you?

That response they gave us? That's Corporatese for "We don't give a flying fuck about your desires, because a) you are too small a minority to negatively impact our profits and b) most of you will buy our product anyway."

Corporatese is always polite, even when it's describing to you exactly how they are going to take their six-foot-long engorged penis and shove it directly up your virgin asshole.

Because the bolded isn't ranting and raving. Surely not. I'm not saying being angry is wrong, I'm saying that it won't accomplish much.

There's a mighty big difference between "GO AWAY!!!1" and, "Vote with your wallet." They have zero reason to care about you if you don't display that their decisions will negatively impact the sales figures for their game.

All I can say to this, and this is unfortunate and sad. To me, personally. But, you're obviously allowed to have this stance.

For someone who goes on about empathy you sure say a lot of patronizing shit. I don't care how 'unfortunate and sad' my views are to you, man, why would you even say that if only to try to look superior?

Pretty much this. We have absolutely no reason to trust a company to not discriminate when the norm is to discriminate.

And I have said I have too much faith in humanity. This is likely flawed? But it is my stance.

Your stance does not have to be respected, but the right to have it would see blood spilled. Of course I'm squeemish so I'd probably hide somewhere when the fight breaks out.

For someone who goes on about empathy you sure say a lot of patronizing shit. I don't care how 'unfortunate and sad' my views are to you, man, why would you even say that if only to try to look superior?

You're reading too much into things. I am saying that it is unfortunate and sad that you feel this way, because your point is valid. I am sad because the world WARRANTS your viewpoint.

Quit searching only for negatives, please.

Empathy: The ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

Consider the word. I do understand and I do share your feelings. I am sad because it's warranted.

Just, this time? I'm putting faith and hope. This time.

Snipety snip~

Well, you may have missed my point as well. At no point did I state I was expecting them to change it or announce it right away, the chance for that has already passed, and now it's stuck in a situation that can't be rectified until at least after launch. I was just genuinely curious about if there was actually a case of it happening to a MMO because of the core differences between it being a service that happens to have it available and a single player title.

Really my opinion on the whole matter is that the best way to handle it would have been to just not bring it up in the first place. Just mention the marriage system and leave it at that saying more information would be given closer to it actually being released, a stalling answer, sure, but there is a reason we have those in the first place, and that is to avoid the situation it is currently in.

I'm frankly far too cynical a person to actually see them changing this for a while after it has actually been announced. It is now in a situation where it will create bad PR either way. When it comes down to it, I think the developers might be open to it, but this still leaves that major shareholders need to see it as profitable. If it was handled discreetly it wouldn't be too hard to manage, but once there is a PR storm about it, knowing there is bad PR for either choice, they have to be convinced that the profits from so-called "Pink money" is larger than the losses from people who have problems with it being allowed. In a western market I most certainly would very much say that I believe that to be the case currently, but I assume that it might be quite a bit harder to convince them of that in a country as conservative as Japan is. I'm honestly not even going to pretend I know nearly enough about Japanese culture to make an educated call on how that would fare over there.