General Lore Questions

Goodfellow

Umbral is passive. Astral is active. They can be of any element.

Astral Fire would be something like a fireball.

Umbral Fire would be more like smoldering coals.

Sounsyy has a lore post on this.

It's less about what umbral and astral is and more what determines how far into either spectrum people can use them. Otherwise, a person would be able to cast umbral fire or astral fire for example.... But I imagine it's more akin to your alignment between the two, which then has me asking what determines that. But yeah, Sounsyy prolly has it :P.

It's less about what umbral and astral is and more what determines how far into either spectrum people can use them. Otherwise, a person would be able to cast umbral fire or astral fire for example.... But I imagine it's more akin to your alignment between the two, which then has me asking what determines that. But yeah, Sounsyy prolly has it :P.

While certain skills may be astral or umbral aspected, I would imagine that people manipulating aether often make use of both sides. One cannot exist without the other. It's important to note that the skills we have in the game's battle system are by no means the only skills or spells available within the setting. And not all spells may even be astral or umbral aspected to begin.

While certain skills may be astral or umbral aspected, I would imagine that people manipulating aether often make use of both sides. One cannot exist without the other. It's important to note that the skills we have in the game's battle system are by no means the only skills or spells available within the setting. And not all spells may even be astral or umbral aspected to begin.

Of course, I'm actually working on a graph that explains the spectrum of aether alignment but I'm missing this detail. As with certain characters also mentioned int he RDM questline or Alisae, it seems like some people can struggle in some areas like healing because their aether is naturally akin to umbral or vice versa. So while it's possible, I still don't quite get the origin or concept of someone's natural mana being aligned, or it's determining factors.

Of course, I'm actually working on a graph that explains the spectrum of aether alignment but I'm missing this detail. As with certain characters also mentioned int he RDM questline or Alisae, it seems like some people can struggle in some areas like healing because their aether is naturally akin to umbral or vice versa. So while it's possible, I still don't quite get the origin or concept of someone's natural mana being aligned, or it's determining factors.

Your affinity with certain elements is mostly determined by where you reside, which is why monsters in hot areas spit fire and monsters in cold areas spit ice. It applies to the human races too. So an Ul'dahn-born mage would have more affinity with fire and earth, while Twelveswood-born mages are more attuned to wind, water, and earth. As for Astral and Umbral? Are there any examples of someone being more attuned to one polarity than the other? The NPC you're referring to with difficulty healing wasn't because she was more attuned to one polarity. It was because she'd never actually learned any magic before, but her bloodline gave her a natural advantage toward destructive magicks.

Your affinity with certain elements is mostly determined by where you reside, which is why monsters in hot areas spit fire and monsters in cold areas spit ice. It applies to the human races too. So an Ul'dahn-born mage would have more affinity with fire and earth, while Twelveswood-born mages are more attuned to wind, water, and earth. As for Astral and Umbral? Are there any examples of someone being more attuned to one polarity than the other? The NPC you're referring to with difficulty healing wasn't because she was more attuned to one polarity. It was because she'd never actually learned any magic before, but her bloodline gave her a natural advantage toward destructive magicks.

I distinctly recall the RDM trainer mentioning both Alisae and the girl having a particular issue in balancing healing into their skill set because of some natural reasoning. I was hoping not to give spoilers but...

At some point when they discover Lilth is behind the transformation or that the girl's blood is tainted like Lambart's was, he deduces this was why she had issues in healing magic not being as strong despite her practicing them. He then goes to tell the WoL it's not too much of a worry for now considering Alisae had similar issues being more naturally aligned in some manner.

If I could find the dialogue exactly I'd post it but I can't find it anywhere online and I don't have any pictures of it x.x...

Next question,

In Eorzea, what age is someone considered an adult, and not a child?

I'm pretty sure this is 16 in Ul'dah. I know for facts it's 16 in Sharlayan:

Recent graduates of the Studium, the twins were now sixteen summers old─old enough to be considered of age in Sharlayan society. And so, although he opposed his children’s planned journey, [their father] had not sought to bar their way.

I don't know if Limsa and Gridania even keep legal track of people's ages or not...

My guess would be "when you're old enough to prove you're an adult" or similar. Most of Eorzea, and likely more of the world doesn't have access to education. there's likely not a legal drinking age or a voting age in most of these places. (Well, assuming they even can vote to begin with.)

Not Sounsyy, but while waiting for his much more detailed post, just something from the lorebook:

In addition to the six elements, there also exist two poles -- astral and umbral -- which greatly influence the nature of the elements -- an astral charge bringing more activity, while an umbral charge resulting in more passiveness. For example, when in an astral state, fire exhibits high volatility, whereas its umbral state is characterized by dryness.

Now I'm curious what the other elements are like in their astral and umbral forms.

(Well, assuming they even can vote to begin with.)

I think only Sharlayan and Ishgard post-HW has something resembling a political vote? I could be wrong.

Ul'dah is a hereditary sultanate, putting aside the bit about the power being in the hands of the Syndicate (which is technically an oligarchy?). Gridania is... I forget the term for it, but the Padjals are essentially the ruling class from birth, but not hereditary as such. And the Padjals govern by the will of the Elementals.

Limsa is an interesting case. The Admiral is chosen by the Trident, so it's more a competition of seafaring skill than political prowess, but if the pirate culture resembles our own historically, each ship is a democracy in its own right; they elect the Captain and Quartermaster, who are effectively the executive and judiciary branches on each ship. Presumably a sailor receives the right to vote when they are acknowledged as part of the crew, as opposed to spoils captured.

It's a shame the forum doesn't have a way for me to save or pin posts. This is incredibly useful and the nerd inside me is oddly turned on @.@! But in all seriousness, amazing compilation.. I have a side question in regards to a quote.

"

Encyclopedia Eorzea: “Up until Dalamud’s fall, many Sixth Astral Era scholars convinced themselves that the fact there had already been six Calamities—each representing one of the six elements—was proof that there could not be a seventh and that the Sixth Astral era would last indefinitely. However, subsequent study of Garlean Empire legatus Nael van Darnus’s Meteor project would eventually lead these scholars to the conclusion that the attack by Bahamut was indeed a Calamity, though one represented not by any one element, but rather consisting of all the elements charged astrally.”

So considering the events that happened between Omega and Shinryu being known as a calamity, would this just be another comparative calamity to that of Bahamut's time or did it take it upon itself to use new elements in some way(nidhogg's energies and supposed allag tech?). Or are they just comparing it and not truly claiming it to be a calamity(or else I suppose they would call it the eight something or another calamity?).

I also read a bit saying thaumaturges can not only control the astral and umbral polarity in themselves but potentially in other beings. What I'd like to know at this point is, is the power to control one's polarities limited to the knowledge of thaumaturgy or can anyone learn this concept without speaking through their guild? Also, does this mean that just about anyone can draw from either pole no matter what? (again, I still swear I saw mention in the RDM quest and Alisae about them being naturally more aligned and why their healing has been off).

It's a shame the forum doesn't have a way for me to save or pin posts. This is incredibly useful and the nerd inside me is oddly turned on @.@! But in all seriousness, amazing compilation.. I have a side question in regards to a quote.

"

Encyclopedia Eorzea: “Up until Dalamud’s fall, many Sixth Astral Era scholars convinced themselves that the fact there had already been six Calamities—each representing one of the six elements—was proof that there could not be a seventh and that the Sixth Astral era would last indefinitely. However, subsequent study of Garlean Empire legatus Nael van Darnus’s Meteor project would eventually lead these scholars to the conclusion that the attack by Bahamut was indeed a Calamity, though one represented not by any one element, but rather consisting of all the elements charged astrally.”

So considering the events that happened between Omega and Shinryu being known as a calamity, would this just be another comparative calamity to that of Bahamut's time or did it take it upon itself to use new elements in some way(nidhogg's energies and supposed allag tech?). Or are they just comparing it and not truly claiming it to be a calamity(or else I suppose they would call it the eight something or another calamity?).

I also read a bit saying thaumaturges can not only control the astral and umbral polarity in themselves but potentially in other beings. What I'd like to know at this point is, is the power to control one's polarities limited to the knowledge of thaumaturgy or can anyone learn this concept without speaking through their guild? Also, does this mean that just about anyone can draw from either pole no matter what? (again, I still swear I saw mention in the RDM quest and Alisae about them being naturally more aligned and why their healing has been off).

Why would Omega and Shinryu's fight be considered a Calamity? They hardly even did any damage.

As for the Umbral and Astral, I would think that learning to manipulate the polarities would be something any mage would learn as part of the basics. Thaumaturgy is heavily centered around the two polarities, which tie into their religious philosophies, but there's no reason a conjurer or arcanist would just completely ignore how useful and vital they are to manipulate.

"

Why would Omega and Shinryu's fight be considered a Calamity? They hardly even did any damage.

As for the Umbral and Astral, I would think that learning to manipulate the polarities would be something any mage would learn as part of the basics. Thaumaturgy is heavily centered around the two polarities, which tie into their religious philosophies, but there's no reason a conjurer or arcanist would just completely ignore how useful and vital they are to manipulate.

I remember Alphinaud comparing it to one quite often in terms of the complete mess of aether in the area.. I do kinda remember a flood, some giant dragon blasts and tremors caused from their battle...

I see...

It's a shame the forum doesn't have a way for me to save or pin posts. This is incredibly useful and the nerd inside me is oddly turned on @.@! But in all seriousness, amazing compilation...

Since the follow up questions have been answered, I'll focus just on this part.

There's a secret hidden notepad just for you in the User CP! ...or you can subscribe to those threads. Sounsyy keeps a nicely updated Lore Compilation thread, which is pinned in this Lore Discussion Forum. For posts that haven't been categorized yet, they're in some spoilered blocks separated between RPC Forums and Tumblr.

You can also do combined keyword AND user searches in our Advanced Search area, which allowed for some pretty cool stuff. ...usually if I can't find a post that I swear I've read, I do something like this:

jZ3VxIQ.png

If it was a Calamity, be rest assured, that every NPC under the sun would be talking about it.

They weren't?...

On a new subject, now with more study and understanding of it all. Just a simple terminology question... If I was to describe something of aether, would I say aetheric or aetherial? Like for the examples below....

"His body was cast back into the aetherial realm from which it was brought."

Or

"The generator is emitting a form of aetheric field, inhibiting our spells."

Feels like you can interchange or swap the two words and it'd still get the same concept across, but I wasn't sure if one would be more grammatically correct or if it was even a word in FFXIV lore. Or is it just aetheric meaning "of likeness to" while aetherial meaning "of aether"?

A "calamity" in Eorzea isn't just a a description of a devastating disaster; it's an historical designation formally assigned, and marks the transition from Astral to Umbral era.

The battle between Shinryu and Omega was not designated a calamity by the leaders and historians of Eorzea, and did not begin an Umbral era. Ergo, it is not a calamity. Largely, I would presume, because most of the damage they did was to one another and not to the world itself. There were some casualties, but not at a world-changing scale. And the surface of the world itself was not significantly changed apart from a few inflicted scars.

IIRC there have been some calamities in the past of similarly minor impact, but the difference between this event and those is the designation.

Still, most calamities are far more destructive. One was an ice age. One was a great flood. And one, of course, was Dalamud/Bahamut, which we can see just from touring the gameworld caused an order of magnitude more damage than Omega/Shinryu.

Found some of the dialogue, not all of it but...

Aymeric

Had I not instructed you to throw Nidhogg's accursed eyes into the abyss, all of this might have been avoided. I thought them beyond reach...

Merlwyb

Another Calamity averted, eh? How many times now have you and yours hauled us back from the brink?

Kanesenna

My friends, full eagerly have we awaited your return. Few indeed could have discharged the duty entrusted to you, and most humbly do we thank you for seeing it done.

Melwyrb's comment supposedly implies what happened between Shinryu and Omega was a potential Calamity averted.

Then this lil bit....

Yshtola

Though it may not be apparent to the naked eye, the aether here is in turmoil. Not since the Calamity has this land been subjected to forces of the magnitude unleashed by Shinryu and Omega.

Putting emphasis that the fight was of similar magnitude to a previous calamity that caused such destruction and chaos of aether.

The more we learn about the Calamities, the more it seems like they are distinct events with properties that the main protagonists don't yet fully understand. Not every major disaster is going to be a Calamity, because Calamities have distinct metaphysical properties. Certainly, it's likely that particular involved parties were trying to cause a Calamity the Ardor when they gifted the Eyes to the person they did... but it's clear they did not succeed, or you can bet Midgardsomr would have had a whine in our ears about it by now.

Speaking of Midgardsormr, I've always wondered if the Battle of Silvertear Skies might have been classified as a Calamity in any other situation, since it changed the aetherial landscape on a wide scale. It apparently made the summoning of Primals much easier, which, in the absence of Echo-blessed adventurers, would have been a lot more damaging than they ended up being.

And then Bahamut happened, which changed the aetherial and physical landscape on an even wider scale.

I suppose it paved the way for a Calamity.

Also, nobody said that a Calamity suddenly happens in seconds (even if it can last long past that). Take the Great Flood for example, it didn't happened in a matter of minutes. People had limited time to prepare. I took time to just come, and happen.

With that in mind you could perfectly argue that Silvertears was just the beginning. After all Bahamut happened in a matter of mere sennights past that if i'm not mistaken.

With that in mind you could perfectly argue that Silvertears was just the beginning. After all Bahamut happened in a matter of mere sennights past that if i'm not mistaken.

The Battle of Silvertear Skies was in 6A 1562, while the events of 1.0 were in 1572, at least according to the lorebook. So ten years, give or take some time between the start and end of 1.0.

My mistake, should have checked. But I think my point still stands.

Definitely, yes. The Second Umbral Calamity lasted a year and a day ("for a full twelvemoon and a day did nature's fury ring"), which isn't even going into the Umbral Era of the pestilence that tends to happen to large groups of people in tight enclosed spaces.

The Third Umbral Calamity was Fire and drought, which takes time to have an effect. The Fifth Umbral Calamity was Ice and "endless winter", which also takes time to happen.

So having a Calamity take several years from the time the problems start rolling to the final crash is entirely plausible. Admittedly, the Seventh Calamity's crash was particularly dramatic, matched only by the Fourth Calamity, ie Allag's fall.

(I love the parallels between the Fourth and Seventh Calamity too. Apart from both involving Bahamut, there's also the fact that it wasn't the elementals or the gods or nature that caused the two Calamities; it was humankind alone as the direct instigator and mover of events.)