General Lore Questions

Goodfellow

It's hard to tell but the kojin seem to call Susano a kami when it gets summoned (or a greater Kami, greater than mere elementals?). Or at least take him for such initially.

Sure. But, um, the Kojin are neither Au Ra nor Xaela. So I'm not sure there would even be a correlation.

Because Susano is one of the thousands of Kami worshipped by the Yanxians and Hingans. In the same way that the western beast tribes all worship their deities, the primals, which they believe to be the primal essences of creation. We've adopted the term "primal" and misuse it to mean "any summoned deity" similar to how the Garleans adopted and misuse the term "Eikon" to mean something similar: "false god." So the two terms aren't mutually exclusive. Susano is a Kami, but because he was actually brought from belief into reality makes him also a (airquotes) "primal" because we Eorzeans now associate a term once used to describe beast tribe beliefs, to now mean summoned gods, because the beast tribes', the primals, were the first to be successfully summoned in Eorzea.

...summoning forth from the aether the great kami Susano─a primal by another name.

I can mention why primals are referred to as primals' date=' though. It is not because they are underdeveloped, younger deities, but because the beast tribes tend to believe that they were the ones who created them, the world, and everything. They are the primal forms of existence.[/quote']

EDIT:

Gamer Escape: How did the summoning of Susano work? He kind of came out of nowhere, there! If I had to guess, I’d say the Magatama acted a bit like Zantetsuken, but that’s the best I’ve got.

Koji Fox: This one was in the forum questions, as well, but I can answer you guys here. Actually, there’s nothing new going on, at all. It’s the same way primals have always been summoned: strong belief, the power of the crystals—aether within the crystals consolidates to make a manifestation. Until now, the beast tribes have been like, “Okay, we need Ifrit NOW!” “We need Garuda NOW!” and the belief and aether in that area would result in a manifestation of that belief. With Susano, there was no intention, but everything else just fell into place. There was a ritual in a sense—intense belief, aether latent in the treasures, and even though it wasn’t intended, it just sort of happened. It wasn’t a mistake, just happenstance.

I think Susano is also a poor choice of discussion on the topic of what Domans would call an impersonation of their gods, since the way he came to be was very different from how most Eorzean primals did. Nevermind the fact that Susano seems to not be an impersonation, but the actual kami Susano.

I think we just need to wait and see if we encounter more Far Eastern primals.

Also on a different topic I really wish SE would figure out what they want Doma to be, cuz having Chinpan and Japan is getting weird.

I think Susano is also a poor choice of discussion on the topic of what Domans would call an impersonation of their gods, since the way he came to be was very different from how most Eorzean primals did. Nevermind the fact that Susano seems to not be an impersonation, but the actual kami Susano.

Is it really, though? How is his summoning any different than using Nidhogg's eyes and the worship/anguish of a people to become King Thordan or Shinryuu? Ancient items filled with aetheric power and a source to draw worship and shape from.

One really has to wonder if the gods exist at all (beyond perhaps Hydaelyn and Zodiark), leaving any that are "summoned" to be effectively Primals - beings summoned into the world via aether and desire.

I think we just need to wait and see if we encounter more Far Eastern primals.

Also on a different topic I really wish SE would figure out what they want Doma to be, cuz having Chinpan and Japan is getting weird.

His summoning or idea behind it (the objects of worship coming together to form Susano) , is similar to Odin. It's not through actual prayer summoning that brings them into being but the very magic that's retained in those items. Though it's still somewhat of a mystery where and when Odin first came to be and how. But he is referred to as a primal despite having no link to a beast tribe probably due to his aether drain in his surroundings. So it's not a completely unfamiliar concept. San

Is it really, though? How is his summoning any different than using Nidhogg's eyes and the worship/anguish of a people to become King Thordan or Shinryuu? Ancient items filled with aetheric power and a source to draw worship and shape from.

One really has to wonder if the gods exist at all (beyond perhaps Hydaelyn and Zodiark), leaving any that are "summoned" to be effectively Primals - beings summoned into the world via aether and desire.

That's the thing though; Susano wasn't really summoned, he just kinda showed up when his artifacts came together again. Even the Koijin were surprised to see him speak and take form.

Now that I think on it, he was kinda like Nidhogg's shade (assuming I understand what happened right). An actual spirit who was always there, just dormant.

I could also be completely off, but that what I got from the cutscene and small tidbits from the whole Susano bit.

That's the thing though; Susano wasn't really summoned, he just kinda showed up when his artifacts came together again. Even the Koijin were surprised to see him speak and take form.

Now that I think on it, he was kinda like Nidhogg's shade (assuming I understand what happened right). An actual spirit who was always there, just dormant.

I could also be completely off, but that what I got from the cutscene and small tidbits from the whole Susano bit.

Nidhogg's Shade isnt a primal but is alike one because it's not the original Nidhogg. When Haelsvagr was hesitant to fight against his own brother, Dad Dragon Midsgar...spellcheck made it clear that what they fought wasn't Nidhogg, but just a form taken by all the anger and hatred held within the eyes. Just pure rage in the form of Nidhogg. It's a similar thing Haelsvagr said to Ysayle about her Shiva summoning. That's not real Shiva, just some false embodiment based off the long past Shiva.

Please be aware that the 4.0 Spoiler policy is in effect for about another month.

[06-15-2017] Spoiler Policy

That said, IC-boards and the lore board kinda have an inherent free pass on spoilers because one cannot discuss the events of the game without actually talking about them. Typically, these threads should be marked with a

tag or so to give people looking to avoid all spoiler-related discussion a heads up.

If something appears to be more MSQ-spoiling than in-game lore/mechanics explaining that happens to mention 4.0 details that weren't previously mentioned in Live Letters and the Lodestone (like Susano) then they should be be wrapped in a spoiler tag or reported to moderation to have a moderator check the post and determine if it should be wrapped in a spoiler tag.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question I had while staring at teleport prices:

Who owns the Chocobo Porters?

We'll leave aside the obvious bizarre convolutions of the "summoning stones" in Dravania, and the separate Falcon Porter system in Othard. This is just for Chocobokeeps in Eorzea, including Gyr Abania.

They all wear that yellow tunic, and a chocobo mask. This implies some sort of uniform, as well as the spiel they give whenever you ask them about the whole Chocobo Porter system.

Is there any mention (possibly in the very early tutorial dialogues) of who owns this service?

(Curiously, the Falcon Porters in Othard wear falcon masks, except for the one at Onokoro, and the Blue Kojin at Tamamizu. The Blue Kojin even has a different spiel explaining porters, albeit with the same general gist. I have no idea about the Onokoro guy, though.)

Quick question I had while staring at teleport prices:

Who owns the Chocobo Porters? They all wear that yellow tunic, and a chocobo mask. This implies some sort of uniform, as well as the spiel they give whenever you ask them about the whole Chocobo Porter system. Is there any mention (possibly in the very early tutorial dialogues) of who owns this service?

ARR really complicates this question.

In 1.0, the chocobo porters were independently owned (and they did not use the choco apron/mask outfit the current porters use):

That serpent chocobo issuance there is a highly sought after item' date=' Sounsyy. You've done well to obtain it. You'll want to take it to the chocobo stables and present it to Stablemaster Fruhdhem, who'll see to the necessary arrangements for the issuance of your very own steed. The stables have been erected nearby the Carline Canopy. Look out for a chocobo signboard. Oh, and if you're uncertain as to the way there, consult that map of yours.[/quote']

Praise the Twelve! The gods have finally seen fit to provide me with a sufficient number of hale and healthy birds to reopen the stables and offer them for rental. May I interest you in a chocobo? Mine are the fastest in the realm - or your money back!

My fine stables houses hundreds of healthy chocobos - most which I keep for the Immortal Flames. I have, however, set a good few aside for the sole purpose of lending to eager adventurers such as yourself. Riding chocoback is the closest thing to flying you'll ever experience…unless you ride an airship, of course…but whoever got to pilot their own airship…except airship pilots, I mean…but you're obviously not one of them, so riding chocoback is indeed the closest thing you'll- Ahem! Now, where as I? Ah yes, when renting my birds I ask only that you obey two simple rules:

One, stay mounted at all times. The moment you dismount, the bird will return immediately to the stables, regardless of how much time remains of your agreed rental period. Two, always be aware of how much time you have left. My birds are trained to buck their riders from their saddles when their internal clocks tell them to - no matter where they may be…or which foul creatures might be lurking nearby. It sounds a little extreme, I realize, but I've only so many birds to go around.

And finally, three - Hm? Did I say 'two simple rules'? Oh, well then, that's an easy fix. Ahem, two - try and avoid said foul creatures. They will attack your steed to get to you, you see, and if the bird is weakened too much, it has been trained to buck its rider - yes, that again - and return to the stables…leaving you alone with your, um…admirer. And that is all! My stock is of the highest quality - all pedigree, I assure you…unlike those crossbred vultures the Lominsan stables attempt to pass off as chocobos.

The blight took its toll on my birds, but it seems the worst is finally behind us, and I can now reopen my stables to the public. So, are you looking to hire a chocobo? Hiring a chocobo is simple: pay my fee, and one of my fine birds is yours…for a bell or two, at least. Oh, and despite scurrilous rumors to the contrary, my chocobos contain no vulture, eft, pelican, or other cloudkin blood - nay, nor sparrow neither. I deal only in the purest, noblest stock bred from prime Ishgardian war birds.

You will encounter no problems with any of my animals provided you follow these three simple rules: One, stay in the saddle at all times. Our contract is ended the moment you dismount. What? You think that unfair? Well, you are welcome to take your business to the stable down the road. Oh wait! There is no stable down the road! Best live with it then, eh!? Now, where was I? Ah, yes…

Two, contract extensions will not be allowed. You are but one of many customers and I have an obligation to accommodate their needs as well as yours. When your time is up, the chocobo will drop you off and promptly return to these stables. What's that? What should you do if you are amongst a pack of bloodthirsty beasts when the time runs out? I suppose…get eaten?

Three, try and keep the bird from harm. It is not widely known, but chocobos are among the most delicious cloudkin in the realm, with meat more tender than dodo, more succulent than buzzard, and more savory than skua…n-not that I've ever tried any… Ahem! The point is that there are many terrible creatures in Eorzea who have, and if you are not careful, they will try and eat the one you are riding.

To prevent this, I have trained my birds to buck their riders and return home in the event that they encounter unforeseen difficulties. What about your safety? Hmm, an interesting point. …I suppose you might consider trying to foresee the unforeseen difficulties?

Seven hells, not another one! That thrice-damned Admiral and her Maelstrom are going to put me out of business - and this no more than a handful of moons since my birds were finally rid of the blight. No, no. You don't have to go running back to your quartermaster. I'll honor that issuance, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Wait here while I bring you a bird. What, you think I brought out the sickliest steed I had? Well, it wouldn't be a lie if I told you I'd like to have, but you can rest assured I didn't. The last thing I need is the 'Cudas confiscating my stock and slinging me in the brig. So there you are. Don't tell me you've seen a better bird in the whole realm.

Oh, and take this chocobo whistle. He has been trained to respond only to the sound of that particular whistle, so you needn't worry about him racing off to some stranger's side. Now, if you've quite finished plundering my stables, I'd be grateful if you'd leave me be. I have dung to shovel.

In ARR, these chocobo stablemasters in Gridania, Ul'dah, and Limsa Lominsa have been replaced by Cingur, Mimigun, and Fraegeim respectively. Dialogue surrounding the new chocokeeps is scarce. Momodi recommends Mimigun to you once, but otherwise, the only text surrounding these three is when you're able to purchase your chocobo license from your Grand Company. Their own dialogue is rather bland and does not suggest that they own these birds which they're loaning out.

All you need do is obtain a Storm Chocobo Issuance by exchanging company seals with the quartermaster. Once you have this deed' date=' present it to Fraegeim, and she will see you saddled up on one of our trusty birds.[/quote']

There's no indication that these new NPCs are the owners of these chocobos or stables, only that they are continuing their alliance with the Grand Companies. The shared uniform could be a Grand Company/Eorzean Alliance touch, however, it could also be a Game Mechanic for quality-of-life for players?

It could also be that the former 1.0 Stablemasters were finally compensated for their chocobos appropriated by the Grand Companies and were able to hire help or expand their business. Are those former owners still the owners? Has ownership passed on to some overarching chocobo porter business which has expanded across Eorzea? Dare I suggest it might be the Fraternal Order of Chocowackers? Who knows!

Those they call the “Fraternal Order of Chocowackers”' date=' in the harsh accents of Eorzea, are the fronds that fan the flames. In their iron grip toil the chocobos of burden here in Gridania, and no rivals will they brook.[/quote']

Or could it just be that the Grand Companies own the chocokeeps now?

Present this deed to the Maelstrom company stables to receive your own chocobo.

For other chocobo related lore, check out this post!

There's no indication that these new NPCs are the owners of these chocobos or stables, only that they are continuing their alliance with the Grand Companies. The shared uniform could be a Grand Company/Eorzean Alliance touch, however, it could also be a Game Mechanic for quality-of-life for players?

Every Chocobokeep in the game has the uniform, including in Ishgard and Dravania, so I'm guessing it's game mechanic QoL. Even so, there's usually a lore excuse for it (because as far as I can tell MCKF tries as much as possible to close loopholes, even if he has to come up with something on the spot), so I'm mostly curious what the lore explanation for this one might be.

4.0 spoilers

In the DRK storyline for 60-70, the job crystal snaps in two, which causes changes to the character as Myste shows up with their borrowed aether.

Would the act of breaking someone's soulcrystal while it's in use have an affect on them? Like if someone took a hammer to a drk's soulcrystal, could a similar effect occur, perhaps seeing things or not acting like themself?

1. Gysahl greens claim to be indigenous to the "Near East", was wondering what that means if the "Far East" is basically Othard and that whole region that isn't Eorzea?

2. After going through that hurricane, I just realized that the only disasters that happen in FF14 are common from primals and etc but it seems as though no one goes through regular natural disasters caused from regular means such as we experience. Aside from dust storms, strong winds and etc... Think any portion of the FF14 universe experiences tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, tidal waves, etc without purposed means via primals or mages abusing spells? I would say without magic/aether but considering everything is aether, that seems kinda silly to ask that way...

3. Dumb question like the two above I'm sure but what are animals typically known as that aren't voidsent? beastkin? vilekin? I've seen the latter two terms thrown around but I still have yet to identify what they mean exactly or what classifies between the two.

4. Probably another dumb one but I've seen some NPC's here and there teleport to random locations without means of aetheryte or any particular devastating spells. Such as Y'shtola teleporting within Titan's area from a cliff onto the platform. I can't remember another example atm but I do recall another instance just like that where someone teleported just a little ways away. Is there any explanation for that or is it just such a small distance that it doesn't take any real tolls on a person?

3. Dumb question like the two above I'm sure but what are animals typically known as that aren't voidsent? beastkin? vilekin? I've seen the latter two terms thrown around but I still have yet to identify what they mean exactly or what classifies between the two.

I actually know this one! The Raimdelle Codex, by naturalist Frandelont Raimdelle, was responsible for this classification. It's a bestiary that categorises species of Eorzea into groups based on various criteria. Raimdelle himself is most well-known in my mind for his attempt to categorise the duck as a Spoken (instead of a Cloudkin) on the basis that its quacks were actually a complex language beyond the comprehension of man...

Would the act of breaking someone's soulcrystal while it's in use have an affect on them?

Unfortunately, all I can give you is a solid maybe? That questline is the first time we've seen something like that happen so it's hard to pin down, even theoretically, what could potentially happen besides what did happen in that questline.

1. Gysahl greens claim to be indigenous to the "Near East", was wondering what that means if the "Far East" is basically Othard and that whole region that isn't Eorzea?

The Near East is a region which encompasses the southern half of Ilsabard and the multitude of islands which make up the Bounty, a body of water to the east of the Sea of Jade. The most prominent of the civilizations found in the Near East is Radz-at-Han on the island of Thavnair.

Near East Lore can be found here.

Veo5oWD.jpg

2. After going through that hurricane, I just realized that the only disasters that happen in FF14 are common from primals and etc but it seems as though no one goes through regular natural disasters caused from regular means such as we experience. Aside from dust storms, strong winds and etc... Think any portion of the FF14 universe experiences tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, tidal waves, etc without purposed means via primals or mages abusing spells? I would say without magic/aether but considering everything is aether, that seems kinda silly to ask that way...

There's not a lot of specific mentions of these natural disasters occuring, but there is more than enough evidence in-world from NPCs to suggest that Eorzeans are aware of the existence of these natural disasters, even if they may or may not affect Eorzea regularly.

It was not until the advent of the Sixth Umbral Era that' date=' by the process of elimination, scholars were able to declare with certainty that the elemental calamity which ushered in the First Umbral Era was indeed connected in some way with wind - possibly in the form of terrible hurricanes, tempests, or tornados. Recent dealings with the moogles of Moghome in which village elders have spoken of a wind-driven disaster previous to the first five calamities serve to further reinforce this theory.[/quote']

As far as Calamities go, there was also the 4th Umbral Calamity which was the earthquake which buried the Allagan Empire. Other calamities include an endless lightning storm, a great flood, a freeze, a massive drought, etc. These were more or less (ironically) reflected in the 1.0 Conjurer's spell list: Flare, Freeze, Burst, Flood, Tornado, Quake. Monks of the Fist of Rhalgr also have an ability called Tornado Kick, and the Monks of Ala Mhigo pre-date the first summoning of the primals.

Interestingly, of the very scarce mentions of hurricanes, tornadoes, and earthquakes in game dialogue most of the speakers are the Vanu Vanu and Lominsans. Two different Vanu make references to hurricanes and tornadoes. Lominsans make reference to these storms once each. Most talk of earth quakes has to do with Limsa and Titan. According to a couple different excerpts, earthquakes aren't usually a worry for Lominsans, and generally speaking when there's one, it means Titan has been re-summoned.

Master Gegeruju is of course second to none in matters of business and connoisseurship. However, he can be somewhat naive as regards other matters. For example, he has become convinced that the recent spate of earthquakes is the fault of the large buffaloes that roam near. I would grant some amount of exasperation over our local children being mauled in the wake of the tremors, but really now. It's one thing to see the buffaloes in a tizzy, but another to think they could have anything to do with the quakes.

I have tried to reason with him, but it's been to no avail. Might you simply indulge my master and slay a half dozen of the creatures? I am quite certain those beasts were innocent of any earth-shattering crimes, but it is well they have been dispatched regardless. In truth, I believe Master Gegeruju knows in his heart that the buffaloes are not the cause, and that it is in fact the primal Titan. However, he also realizes that his wealth would not avail against such a threat.

That said, Limsa does get large seasonal storms. Hurricanes? Unknown. Possibly, but dangerous sea storms, yes. The link below has more lore on the various weather patterns we do see in Eorzea.

Eorzean Climate and Weather Lore

Kilieit answered this question pretty well already. Definitely check out those links. In brief, the naturalist Frandelont Raimdelle created the taxonomy that exist in Eorzea today (though the Trappers' League and other naturalists are attempting to update the literary work with Seventh Astral Era additions). In it, all life is categorized into three Regnums, or Kingdoms: Bloodborn, Bloodless, and Transcendent. These Regnum are further broken down into Classes, then genius, etc similar to real life. However, as Kilieit pointed out, many of Raimdelle's classifications aren't... uhhh... accurate. Some are even fantastical. And most importantly, not everything listed as a voidsent is actually from the void. Until very very recently, the void was just a throwaway classification for anything weird in Eorzea that naturalists couldn't explain.

Bloodborn: beastkin (mammals), cloudkin (avian), scalekin (reptiles), seedkin (plants), spoken (sentient/language), vilekin (insects), wavekin (aquan)

Bloodless: ashkin (undead), forgekin (constructs), soulkin (cursed/bound)

Transcendent: elementals (aetherials), voidsent (from the void, or inexplicable to modern naturalists)

There's also an Other "kingdom" which includes chimera, because Allagans did some really weird things here and they defy natural classification. Though some "chimeras" which were observed in the wild found their way into Raimdelle's original classifications under incorrect Classes.

The lore book gives a more detailed description of what constitutes each Class. I might go back later and add to this post, but the above shorthand descriptions are the essence of what each Class is.

4. Probably another dumb one but I've seen some NPC's here and there teleport to random locations without means of aetheryte or any particular devastating spells. Such as Y'shtola teleporting within Titan's area from a cliff onto the platform. I can't remember another example atm but I do recall another instance just like that where someone teleported just a little ways away. Is there any explanation for that or is it just such a small distance that it doesn't take any real tolls on a person?

I'm not sure of the other instances you're referring to, but I can answer the Y'shtola one. The kobolds employ their own aethernet system in the massive sprawling labyrinth that is O'Ghomoro. In Lord of Crags, Riol tells Y'shtola that they, the Company of Heroes, were able to tap into this aethernetwork and sneak into the mountain. Y'shtola does something similar, in that she finds a suitable aetheryte signature within the mountain (the crystal navel you're fighting on) and teleport you directly to it via the aetheryte at Zelma's Run. Later on, you have to infiltrate U'Ghamaro Mines to redo the same trick at that aetheryte for the subsequent summoning.

It's also noted that it takes a notably proficient mage to be able to do this trick though, as teleporting without first attuning to the receiving aetheryte, while possible, is incredibly dangerous. Y'shtola says she will remain holding the connection until she is able to secure the link and join you herself. Which, she does in a roundabout way. She first goes to spy on the Ascians and Garleans, and then, having already sourced the aetherial signature of the Navel which you are standing on fighting Titan, is then able to teleport directly there once the fight is over. It's not that she's teleporting randomly, she's just teleporting unconventionally. She's still utilizing an aetheryte and aethernet like all of us, she just attuned to said aetheryte a little differently than one would normally.

Hm. Even if there were aetheryte shards in the depths of O'Ghomoro, you would have needed to attune yourselves to them before you could identify their signatures within the Lifestream. Locating a beacon in the absence of a known signature might be possible if the aetherytes in question happened to be... Ah, yes. But in order to guide a traveler to said beacon safely, a second party would be required to... Hmmm. It is possible─in theory at least. Yet I cannot be certain until I try. Plainly, all will depend upon whether or not I am “worth my salt.”

In its present state, this aetheryte's signal will not be strong enough for our purposes. I may, however, be able to use my own energies to amplify it. Alas, the task will monopolize my attention for the duration. With effort, it is possible that I may be able to stabilize the aetheryte's signal and thereby join you, albeit belatedly. Until such time as I do, you will be on your own. Now...let us see if I am worth my salt.

I have located another beacon─one far below the mountain. I can only speculate as to what you will find there, so stint not in your preparation.

Hope that helps!

Question about measurements:

We all know the ones about length/distance and weight (well, mass, but close enough), as well as the basics for time.

What about volume? Assume liquid for the moment, since for all I know there's a "cubic ilm" measurement floating around somewhere.

Is there an equivalent to "litre"? Or whatever the Imperial version is; I'm mostly only familiar with metric.

... speaking of which, does Garlemald have their own units of measure? While Eorzeans use renamed (Earth) Imperial units, do Garleans use renamed (Earth) metric?

4.0 spoilers

In the DRK storyline for 60-70, the job crystal snaps in two, which causes changes to the character as Myste shows up with their borrowed aether.

Would the act of breaking someone's soulcrystal while it's in use have an affect on them? Like if someone took a hammer to a drk's soulcrystal, could a similar effect occur, perhaps seeing things or not acting like themself?

The crystal fractures because of your own self-doubt. Your guilt and desire to save everyone and give them a measure of peace of mind and forgiveness is at odds with your desire to bring evildoers to justice. Reconciling and balancing them both is the whole point of the 60-70 quests.

A soul crystal is probably physically indestructible, otherwise, save for a much more powerful magical force. It'd have to be a pretty big hammer.

Are there any acceptable "work around" ways for a character to ICly use an Astrologian's globe? Usually with other jobs you can write off a bard as an archer, a dragoon as a lancer, blm/whm as thaumaturge/conjurer or generic spell casters, rdm as a spell blade user and so on.... Ast seems to be restricted in being taught and the use of it's globe for such means. Is there any "generic" astrologian concepts people use or can go with if they're not Sharlayan or WoL?

Well, if you forgo the globe itself, you could simply be a fortuneteller of some sort who uses the cards to read fortunes. I know a lot of fortuneteller characters switched to or were created with the idea that they'd use AST. If the globe is still a problem, maybe you could just hand-wave it as a fancy device to display your cards on or something?

Well, if you forgo the globe itself, you could simply be a fortuneteller of some sort who uses the cards to read fortunes. I know a lot of fortuneteller characters switched to or were created with the idea that they'd use AST. If the globe is still a problem, maybe you could just hand-wave it as a fancy device to display your cards on or something?

I guess more-so I'm wondering if it can still be used as a "weapon"(or ya know, some form of healing focus/device of its own) so to speak without the soulstone or being sharlayan. Unless being a fortune teller could be handwaving the ability to use it's magic or some area around that :S?

The magic is a universal concept, Sharlayan was just the first to perfect it and Isghard uses a very narrow use of it that fits their culture better. You may be clumsy with it without a proper academic teacher but there's no reason any magically gifted person can't apply the Sharlayan concepts.

I was curious just how acceptable attuning to the stars magic was for beyond that, like perhaps other cultures could develop different means of the same concepts, possibly weaker or stronger. Thank you :D

I'm 99% positive this has been addressed elsewhere but afaik Sharlayan Astrology is Sharlayan Astrology. There is no other (official) version of it at this time.

Ishgardian Astrology is starcharts and tracking their movements, mostly to predict movements of the Dravanian Horde. It did not involve aether or starglobes.

You can learn it by being taught by someone from Sharlayan, being Sharlayan, or by attending the Athenaeum Astrologicum in Ishgard. 

The 60-70 AST quests touch on Geomancy a bit which is equated to be somewhat of a spiritual cousin to Astrology but did not employ the use of starglobes/cards/gates. The npc in the quests uses a branch wand.

I'm 99% positive this has been addressed elsewhere but afaik Sharlayan Astrology is Sharlayan Astrology. There is no other (official) version of it at this time.

Ishgardian Astrology is starcharts and tracking their movements, mostly to predict movements of the Dravanian Horde. It did not involve aether or starglobes.

You can learn it by being taught by someone from Sharlayan, being Sharlayan, or by attending the Athenaeum Astrologicum in Ishgard

The 60-70 AST quests touch on Geomancy a bit which is equated to be somewhat of a spiritual cousin to Astrology but did not employ the use of starglobes/cards/gates. The npc in the quests uses a branch wand.

That last one is restricted to an extent isn't it? I was going by http://kilieit.tumblr.com/post/159315531877/just-how-obscure-is-that-job-crystal-in-lore for the time and it makes it sound pretty restricting.If you attend, I imagine they're going to expect you to be Sharlayan or have something in common with them without any actual intent to use the method for inflicting harm and etc? I'm mostly trying to broaden that range but if there's no loops around it :S idk. Trying to avoid the sharlayan concept all around.