General Lore Questions

Goodfellow

Is the sword and crystal medium combo restricted to red magic/mages? 'Cause.. I'd like to have a character use the chicken knife as a generic spellsword or something rather than roleplaying an actual Red Mage™.

Thaumaturgy (and Black Magic by extension) also uses crystals/gems fixed on the staff to collect the mage's aetherial energies. The staff itself serves as a focus channeling it right to the gem.

The staff is always made of aether conductive materials, like bone, electrum, or other similar metals (beware, some metals like gold are actually insulating).

Considering how the RDM questline seems to outright say that the Red Mages channel their own aether through their focus and right into their sword, I believe said swords must be conductive enough to focus such spells and enchanted melee moves.

In short, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to play a RDM using a staff or anything else than a sword, and vice versa. The medium is not important, the difference lies in the school of magic.

Do the tribes of Xaela have any particular naming conventions or translations? Like does the tribe name "Mol" or "Dotharl" actually come from any particular languages or concepts based off RL cultures? Or are the xaela tribe names mostly created at random for the most part?

The Xaela

Auri creation myth tells of a Dawn Father and a Dusk Mother from whom all Au Ra are descended. The Xaela believe their veins to run thick with the blood of the latter─their lustrous black scales and fiery wills serving as proof of this divine lineage.

Unlike their sister clan, the Raen, who lead solitary lives hidden behind the savage peaks of Othard's eastern reaches, the Xaela are free spirits who roam the vast western steppe in close-knit tribes hunting, gathering, and warring as their ancestors have for countless generations.

(From the Character Creation screen)

As was mentioned earlier, Xaela names are based on Mongolian names/words used in the 15th century (give or take a few centuries). Lists of ancient Mongolian names can also be found on the Internet for those not versed in ancient Mongolian history (I’m guessing that’s a lot).

[...]

Unlike Raen names, where the spellings are pretty much fixed, and there are no real variations for a single name, individual Xaela names come with multiple spellings, all of them acceptable. The Xaela, being nomadic, live lives that are one part solitary (when traveling as a clan) and one part community (when they interact with other clans they come across in their migrations). Because of this, similar names are used throughout the Othardian steppe, but they often feature slightly different spellings due to evolving separately in isolated clans. Also a factor is that, until recently, writing was almost non-existent amongst the tribes─written language simply not a necessity in the nomadic lifestyle.

The male names Jagadai, Chaghadai, and Tsagaday are all, essentially, the same name. However, in Othard (and FFXIV) they are considered unique.

While the Raen abandoned the method of using clan names as their surnames when they abandoned the nomadic lifestyle of their ancestors, the Xaela continue the tradition. This means that, for the most part, Xaela surnames are the names of one of 51 existing clans. The following is a list of the clan names and a quick blurb describing the clan. The words used in tribe names are, for the most part, original words based loosely on 15th to 17th century Mongolian spellings.

Au Ra Naming Conventions - Official FFXIV Forums Lore Board

*snip*

Ty, I thought I read that here but wasn't sure. Started googling Mongolian naming and words but none of the tribes come up relative to it. Maybe it's stretched a bit for english sake?

It's in the racial lore threads here and a certain compilation thread. It stands to note that the tribe names are probably romanized, if one could even call it that. Trying to find an exact letter search would probably only give you FFXIV-related results. Like many of the real-life culture-related things found in game, they're there for concepts and inspiration. Not exactly there to be a stand-in for the things they were inspired from.

*snip*

Ty, I thought I read that here but wasn't sure. Started googling Mongolian naming and words but none of the tribes come up relative to it. Maybe it's stretched a bit for english sake?

It's in the racial lore threads here and a certain compilation thread. It stands to note that the tribe names are probably romanized, if one could even call it that. Trying to find an exact letter search would probably only give you FFXIV-related results. Like many of the real-life culture-related things found in game, they're there for concepts and inspiration. Not exactly there to be a stand-in for the things they were inspired from.

So nothing's particularly stopping someone who'd like to create an auri tribe from naming it based off another form of culture or something that isn't typically inspired the same way the current canon tribes are?

*snip*

So nothing's particularly stopping someone who'd like to create an auri tribe from naming it based off another form of culture or something that isn't typically inspired the same way the current canon tribes are?

Reading a little too far into what I said. I'd personally stick to the cultures that Square-Enix provided, but there's nothing stopping you from adding to their lists. Xaela clans come and go. Raen don't particularly use surnames. I'd probably keep to the Mongolian theme if I were making a Xaela. Or I'd question why my Xaela has a different-sounding name. I'd want it to be intentional if say, it sounded French / "Ishgadian" or something. People move about and taking local names is certainly a part of that. But I'm a little more iffy on injecting a different culture into something while still trying to keep the original design. At that point, what benefit does keeping the SE-provided bits provide?

With Xaela being further east, do they still follow most of Othard's customs for speaking or bowing in particular ways? Like if they found a primal, would they call it a Kami? Or if they were friendly enough to meet a stranger, would they eastern bow? How close are some of the concepts followed essentially?

Xaela have their own culture. Their own tradition. Their own Gods. The msq focuses on this as well as the side quests. I'm not sure what else I could tell you at this point that hasn't already been covered through years of discussion and ingame lore.

They seem to /easternbow ingame as well.

But then as said above, they have their own culture yes. They don't believe especially in kami, since their beliefs is about the duality of the Dawn Father and the Dusk Mother.

With Xaela being further east, do they still follow most of Othard's customs for speaking or bowing in particular ways? Like if they found a primal, would they call it a Kami? Or if they were friendly enough to meet a stranger, would they eastern bow? How close are some of the concepts followed essentially?

In the original JP, the Mol tribe specifically addresses obeying the will of the kami through their shaman, respectively localized as "elder gods" and "udgan." The way and context they use it is more aligned with the RL Shinto view of kami: nature spirits in their surroundings and day-to-day lives. The Oronir tribe directly worship the sun god Azim and claim to be his descendants (similar to RL Japan and their emperor), while the Kagon worship the moon goddess Nhaama.

Bear in mind that Othard is a big continent with yet-unexplored locations and customs, such as Dalmasca. It's not all a Japan / Asia analogue. A quest line in the Azim Steppe deals with a Kugane merchant coming to Reunion with zero knowledge of their ways and customs, and having to learn them. The Xaela tribes took inspiration from ancient Mongolian tribes, so you'll want to read up on them for further comparison.

Xaela have their own culture. Their own tradition. Their own Gods. The msq focuses on this as well as the side quests. I'm not sure what else I could tell you at this point that hasn't already been covered through years of discussion and ingame lore.

I'm not sure why but this comes off as a little hostile. I asked for specific terminology and general mannerisms was all, I'm well aware they have their own everything... I wasn't asking for their entire lore to be explained.

They seem to /easternbow ingame as well.

But then as said above, they have their own culture yes. They don't believe especially in kami, since their beliefs is about the duality of the Dawn Father and the Dusk Mother.

I see, so if one of them came across a primal, they'd more or less see it as just another monster of beast then? Not particularly any title or naming? I figured even the Xaela would recognize what a primal is or have a particular name for them. Wasn't sure if they carried over the eastern culture of bowing the same way but ty for clarifying on that.

In the original JP, the Mol tribe specifically addresses obeying the will of the kami through their shaman, respectively localized as "elder gods" and "udgan." The way and context they use it is more aligned with the RL Shinto view of kami: nature spirits in their surroundings and day-to-day lives. The Oronir tribe directly worship the sun god Azim and claim to be his descendants (similar to RL Japan and their emperor), while the Kagon worship the moon goddess Nhaama.

Bear in mind that Othard is a big continent with yet-unexplored locations and customs, such as Dalmasca. It's not all a Japan / Asia analogue. A quest line in the Azim Steppe deals with a Kugane merchant coming to Reunion with zero knowledge of their ways and customs, and having to learn them. The Xaela tribes took inspiration from ancient Mongolian tribes, so you'll want to read up on them for further comparison.

I wasn't actually asking about their gods or the Mol's beliefs or Xaelas.. moreo-so just some basic habits of xaela all around in regards to "primals" specifically and the proper greeting used in game. The 2nd paragraph is exactly why I asked; it's a big continent, mostly japan asia inspired so I wasn't 100% sure on some customs. I should do that quest, I saw it once and didn't get to do it, shouldn't have blown it off.

moreo-so just some basic habits of xaela all around in regards to "primals" specifically and the proper greeting used in game.

The short answer to the primal question is, we don't know. The long answer is, we don't know because it's never addressed during the MSQ or in side quests (as far as I have seen). If there's information out there I haven't run into, Sounsyy probably knows of it.

But the general Xaela attitude towards Primals hasn't, to my knowledge, been explored in game.

As far as the greeting goes, I would honestly suggest you go play through the quests in the Azim Steppe if you want to know the details on that. There are tons of Sidequests and cutscenes. I suspect greetings vary from clan to clan.

moreo-so just some basic habits of xaela all around in regards to "primals" specifically and the proper greeting used in game.

The short answer to the primal question is, we don't know.  The long answer is, we don't know because it's never addressed during the MSQ or in side quests (as far as I have seen).  If there's information out there I haven't run into, Sounsyy probably knows of it.

But the general Xaela attitude towards Primals hasn't, to my knowledge, been explored in game.

As far as the greeting goes, I would honestly suggest you go play through the quests in the Azim Steppe if you want to know the details on that.  There are tons of Sidequests and cutscenes.  I suspect greetings vary from clan to clan.

That's what I thought and atm I don't have a sub so as much as I'd like to play through those quests right now, I cannot.

There are/were primals in Othard. It's where Garlemald first encountered them. Yugiri didn't know what a primal was until she saw Leviathan, and then confirmed that the Domans had encountered things like him before. So they've at least been as far east as Doma. It's very possible for Xaela to have encountered primals before, even if they weren't called primals.

There are/were primals in Othard. It's where Garlemald first encountered them. Yugiri didn't know what a primal was until she saw Leviathan, and then confirmed that the Domans had encountered things like him before. So they've at least been as far east as Doma. It's very possible for Xaela to have encountered primals before, even if they weren't called primals.

It's honestly a shame that Yugiri never tells us what they actually called Primals in Doma.

It's honestly a shame that Yugiri never tells us what they actually called Primals in Doma.

Maybe they use the Garlean term because of the occupation?

Oh, that's a good point. I hadn't thought about that.

Ostensibly, Garlemald made few, if any, incursions into the Steppe. Primals are normally summoned when the tribes that worship them are under threat and pleading for divine intervention. Perhaps the Xaela have never reached that point as a whole because Garlemald never threatened them on that level?

Oh, that's a good point.  I hadn't thought about that.

Ostensibly, Garlemald made few, if any, incursions into the Steppe.  Primals are normally summoned when the tribes that worship them are under threat and pleading for divine intervention.  Perhaps the Xaela have never reached that point as a whole because Garlemald never threatened them on that level?

Well we see with the beast tribes that many believe summoning their god is wrong. And it's usually in desperation or a last-effort when is summoned. Primals also were incredibly hard and difficult to summon due to the amounts of crystals/aether/faith required. This mostly changed during the battle of Silvertear Lake when a LOT more aether started gushing out at and into the land. (This is also what causes a lot of that funky weather like gloom in Mor Dhona, Umbral Static, etc.) Eorzea was always very aether-rich, but now it's more like it's flooded in aether. And this means easier primal summoning. Which then means more tempered followers. And that means MORE primals. And MORE followers, and so on.

Chances are, the Xaela never had that happen.

Much the same, the Twelve have never actually been summoned, but this was Louisoix's intent at the end of 1.0. (Instead, he summoned their power, failed, and then became Phoenix to combat Bahamut.)

I don't see Xaela trying to call on any primals/Gods to save them. They were made for war, per their story, weren't they?

Exactly. They'd probably see it as weak or insulting to rely on such a power, if I had to guess. But they'd probably still have some sort of term for it.

I was mainly curious because a friend of mine insinuated that primals are at least common knowledge across the lands considering tribes can be outside the steppe, primals could even come over the steppe maybe?(assuming there's more primals out there that wouldn't just be irregularly summoned like Susano was). If people of Doma at least had some concept of them as Kami, Garleans as Eikons, Eorzeans as Primals.... I questioned if Xaela even have a take, regardless if they fear or worship them as to just "what" they are or are perceived as through their tribes. I'm sure some tribes like the Kha that travel and learn culture through other lands take on the names too, so  they could easily incorporate existing terminology just through travel alone. However the au ra we've seen so far(not counting Mide... which now that I type this, I should look through Alexander's questline to see if she calls them any different) have mostly only been in the steppe alone as if they have little to do with other lands at all, let alone worrying about powers across a continent or an accidental summoning in the Ruby Sea.

Even if the Xaela themselves don't rely on higher powers, I was overall curious if they'd named them or had any terms for unknown deities they don't care about. I guess in short the answer for this one is one of those "we have yet to find out just yet" so its still up in the air?

EDIT: After digging through Alexander quests and reading Mide's dialogue alone, she does refer to it as a primal but only a bit further into the questline after she's heard it multiple times prior. So that may just imply she's been places considering she's a treasure hunter and picked up on the title for it along with whoever else did. However prior she often refers to it as a giant or something depicting what it looks like for metaphors, walking castle, utopia of scholars, etc.. So my best bet atm for Au Ra tribes if they ever saw a primal first hand would be to just describe it according to what it looks to be. Titan a golem, Levi a serpent, or an element + an animal they may know of. Until otherwise adopting whatever someone else describes/names them as, Kami could be the most likely with the steppe neighboring the lands that use the term. Or just using a title in the context with whoever talks about them first as to what they call them.

The thing with Mide's merry band of mischief makers is that for a start they roam the Hinterlands where they summon Alexander, which means that they left the Steppes at some point, or are even the offspring of xaela that migrated away even before (as we know there was several xaela migrations in Eorzea). It's hard to tell how much of their culture and traditions they retained and how much of the local customs they took, including the word "primal".

It's also interesting to note that they never refer to it as a primal in the flashbacks if my memory serves me well. Mide only does it in the present time when she now knows exactly what it is. In their grand plan though, they don't seem to me to summon Alex as a primal in their mind, but as the ultimate sanctuary through a complicated codex of rules and mechanics that only a few chosen can decipher. It was designed as a contraption first and foremost, and also keep in mind that Travanchet was involved with the cursed Horn of Seal Rock. He didn't exactly sold the story as "hey guys, take that and use it to summon your primal would you?

All in all I think there is way too many variables in the case of Mide to use her as a proper example for that.

It's hard to tell but the kojin seem to call Susano a kami when it gets summoned (or a greater Kami, greater than mere elementals?). Or at least take him for such initially.

I don't think Kami is an equivalent term given that it seems to be used for a lot of different entities of varying supernatural importance, as is the case with the term, rather than specifically Primals. The Kojin probably don't know how Susanoo differs from other things they consider Kami, only that he is particularly powerful and worthy of worship above others. The entirety of the scene in which he appears is bizarre, as they don't intentionally summon him, there doesn't appear to be any catalyst for his appearance, he just kinda shows up and wants to party. Then again, that's how Susanoo is...