General Lore Questions

Goodfellow

How respected must a Garlean artisan be to gain the cen title over bas? I am working on a Garlean painter and this question occurred to me while picking her title.

Edit: With our new friend in 4.3, would it be fair to say that some pureblood Garleans aren't white and blonde?

Edited by dalamiq

When it comes to crafstmanship, especially regarding Magitek, I would say that it's the most regarded of all artisans that will probably see all gates opening to them especially if their skill is high. Like the Magitek Academy of Garlemald, the cream of the cream. Most of the Legati of the empire also come directly from that academy, so this tends to prove that magitek engineering holds even more value that military genius in the garlean society.

I would rate painters and all artisans relating to culture to be the lowest among their peers. The last Ivalice raid presents us the crew of the Prima Vista that were held in very high regard during the reign of late Solus zos Galvus, patron of the arts, and then went all the way to the state of fugitives when they didn't bow to the heavy censorship and overall disdain for the arts by the new emperor Varis. So in the modern day Garlemald, the last few months have proven very hectic for artists that have to bow to the new rule or get crushed. I would argue that you can certainly continue exerting your craft but mostly under the wing of the imperial propaganda machine... 

I also believe that a lot of garleans are blond and fair skinned mainly because they have lived so long in the arctic areas of North Ilsabard. Keep in mind that their ancestors that possibly lived in Goug in the previous era, were not even living in the snowy lands of the north.

17 hours ago, dalamiq said:

How respected must a Garlean artisan be to gain the cen title over bas? I am working on a Garlean painter and this question occurred to me while picking her title.

Edit: With our new friend in 4.3, would it be fair to say that some pureblood Garleans aren't white and blonde?

Overall, the difference between Bas and Cen has less to do with respect and more to do with the profession itself, however, that's not to say that coming from a family with better social standing and having that respect wouldn't help secure a better position in their field. 

Cen - Upper Citizens - Civis Fabrilis - Artisans and other citizens of the secondary economic sector: manufacturing.

Bas - Lower Citizens - Civis Mercatus - Merchants and other citizens of the tertiary economic sector: services.

- Civis Fundaminae - Farmers, fishers, hunters, miners, logcutters, and other citizens of the primary economic sector: raw materials

As an artist, or artisan, your character would fall into the Cen category by default. Now, perhaps if your character had "failed as an artist" or went against the Imperial censor, then maybe your character would lose their position or commissions as an artist and have to take up a "lower citizens" job in another economic sector, thus falling back down to Bas. 

As far as skin tone and hair color for a pureblooded Garlean go... most we see are at least fair-skinned, even on the Prima Vista, and many have blond or light brown hair. There are also examples of pureblooded Garleans who are not! So take that as you will and make a character that suits your aesthetic preference. 

27 minutes ago, Charity322 said:

How did Cid get nan then?

Nan - Senior Officers - Primus Architectus Magiteci - Chief imperial magitek engineer and Lord Provost of the Garlean Magitek Academy.

- Architectus Magiteci - Engineer specializing in magitek.

Encyclopedia Eorzea - Cid Garlond: "Cid was born heir to Midas nan Garlond, chief imperial magitek engineer of the Garlean Empire. Following in his father's footsteps, the young pure-blooded Garlean studied magitek technology intently, and secured entry to the prestigious Magitek Academy. During his tenure there, he devised countless inventions, his rivalry with Nero Scaeva accelerating his overall development. However, all was not well at home. Buried in his own research, Midas grew increasingly distant from his son. Cid became a ward of Gaius van Baelsar, a friend of his father's, and when Midas perished suddenly during an experiment gone awry, Cid was named Primus Architectus Magiteci. Yet, he could not agree with Garlemald's indiscretionary use of warmachina, and fled to Eorzea rather than accept the assignment. Now aged thirty-four, he works to ensure freedom through technology."

Cid entered the Magitek Academy at age 12 in 1555, he graduated top of his class six years later in 1561, a year before his father Midas was killed in the Bozja Incident. In that year - thanks to his genius, his accolades, his contributions to the quick siege of Ala Mhigo, and who his father and god-father were - Cid was able to rise through the social hierarchy into the position of Nan (Architectus Magiteci), and next in line to Primus Architectus Magiteci when Midas nan Garlond was killed. Afterall, who better to replace one of the most brilliant technological minds in the Empire than that man's son, who had proven himself to be every bit as brilliant.

10 hours ago, Sounsyy said:

Nan - Senior Officers - Primus Architectus Magiteci - Chief imperial magitek engineer and Lord Provost of the Garlean Magitek Academy.

- Architectus Magiteci - Engineer specializing in magitek.

Encyclopedia Eorzea - Cid Garlond: "Cid was born heir to Midas nan Garlond, chief imperial magitek engineer of the Garlean Empire. Following in his father's footsteps, the young pure-blooded Garlean studied magitek technology intently, and secured entry to the prestigious Magitek Academy. During his tenure there, he devised countless inventions, his rivalry with Nero Scaeva accelerating his overall development. However, all was not well at home. Buried in his own research, Midas grew increasingly distant from his son. Cid became a ward of Gaius van Baelsar, a friend of his father's, and when Midas perished suddenly during an experiment gone awry, Cid was named Primus Architectus Magiteci. Yet, he could not agree with Garlemald's indiscretionary use of warmachina, and fled to Eorzea rather than accept the assignment. Now aged thirty-four, he works to ensure freedom through technology."

Cid entered the Magitek Academy at age 12 in 1555, he graduated top of his class six years later in 1561, a year before his father Midas was killed in the Bozja Incident. In that year - thanks to his genius, his accolades, his contributions to the quick siege of Ala Mhigo, and who his father and god-father were - Cid was able to rise through the social hierarchy into the position of Nan (Architectus Magiteci), and next in line to Primus Architectus Magiteci when Midas nan Garlond was killed. Afterall, who better to replace one of the most brilliant technological minds in the Empire than that man's son, who had proven himself to be every bit as brilliant.

Thanks. Now I'm curious, how did Nero get Nero tol Scaeva?

In the military. Unlike Cid he enlisted after his graduation from the Magitek Academy because he was mostly interested into the various Allagan Ruins on the frontlines. He ended up as the second of van Baelsar and so got the "tol" title (second in command to a legion Legatus).

This is also why Nero is probably the most knowledgeable scientist to that day when it comes to allagan tech, on par with the Sons of Saint Coinach on the eorzean side.

Edited by Valence
15 minutes ago, Valence said:

In the military. Unlike Cid he enlisted after his graduation from the Magitek Academy because he was mostly interested into the various Allagan Ruins on the frontlines. He ended up as the second of van Baelsar and so got the "tol" title (second in command to a legion Legatus).

This is also why Nero is probably the most knowledgeable scientist to that day when it comes to allagan tech, on par with the Sons of Saint Coinach on the eorzean side.

You implied that he's better than Cid at something. He'd love you. XD

I don't think he's especially worst than Cid at their craft. The recent chronicle where both are portrayed as teens in the Magitek Academy shows them coming up with inventions of equal skill. Nero has always been in the shadow of Cid because of his rural origins, where Cid was the kid of the head magitek engineer of the Empire. Nero never made up his feelings of injustice in that regards, they're well founded. He's as good as Cid, but never could quite compete with the favor treatment Cid got every time and it drove him mad, due to his very competitive and jealous personality.

Gunblades.

Any lore pertaining to them? Especially with regard to how plentiful they may be.

From what I can tell, only "special"/high ranking Garleans seem to wield them (or a variant of them, such as the White Raven's wrist blade/gun things). Admittedly, I haven't looked at every single grunt we've encountered close enough to see if they also wield them, but I don't recall anyone but the higher ups holding them.

Just curious if generic "grunts" in the empire's military also use them, or if they're reserved as a symbol of rank or some such.

The gunblade/gunspear is said to be the arm of choice for most officers. I think ingame we also see full squads wearing the pureblood imperial uniform (and not the eorzean and doman enlisted militia suits) all firing their gunblades on Estinien, among others. 

It's a pretty common weapon, but very garlean in culture, tradition and origin. They don't seem to hand them out to non garlean militia and cannon fodder. 

It's a weapon common enough, even in conquered territories and in Eorzea, that it's possible to find them on black markets (cf one of the Namazu quests in Yanxia).

The gunhammer is a personal invention of Nero though, so you'll probably be hard pressed to find gunhammers everywhere like other gunblades.

Edited by Valence
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Do we have much lore on the PvP in FFXIV? Primarily Frontlines? 

While many will remember the Calamity for the destruction it wrought upon the realm of Eorzea, that destruction was not without its blessings─one of those being the uncovering of ancient Allagan ruins hidden underneath the war-scarred Carteneau Flats and heretofore unseen for several Astral Eras. When an attempt by the Grand Companies of Eorzea to determine the control of these ruins, and more importantly the secrets they contain, through peaceful negotiations ended in failure, the city-states instead elected to solve the issue of dominion using a form of civilized warfare dubbed Frontline.

This is the most I could find but "civilised warfare" is a fairly vague description, do the city-states have actual battles on these fields where people die and get injured or is there a hand waved explanation for how these groups can engage in warfare and there be no casualties?

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Jeanne IX said:

Are Miqo'te an Eorzean-only race, or do we know if some exist on other continents like Hyur and Roegadyn do? Or in other words, would it be out of place to have a Miqo from Dalmasca?

My Miqo'te lore is extremely lacking, but I think they originally hail from  Meracydia, which is outside Eorzea borders.

2 hours ago, Jeanne IX said:

Are Miqo'te an Eorzean-only race, or do we know if some exist on other continents like Hyur and Roegadyn do? Or in other words, would it be out of place to have a Miqo from Dalmasca?

None of the races are native to Eorzea. (Although they may claim to be after various Umbral Eras).

You can find a good writeup of Miqo'te lore here: http://mirkemenagerie.tumblr.com/post/180737329244/the-miqote

Miqo'te origins are toublesome because ingame lore speaks about an origin in Meracydia, while the first lorebook mentions Ilsabard frozen areas. It is possible that one of the subrace came from one side and the other from the other locale? Either way, we don't seem to find them in the Far East so far.

Either way Dalmasca racial ditribution mentions a 25% of "others", which could or could not include miqo'te. The same way that Doma's includes 10% of others and Hingashi 25% of others, yet we have not seen a single one of these "others" in the case of Doma unless they point at Lupins specifically (probably includes them at least), and in the case of Hingashi it probably includes the melting pot of the trading enclave of Kugane. 

So in short, we don't know shit.

Anyway, traders are a thing, and Dalmasca is described as a melting pot of cultures and races, more than any other city state / nation. It's what defines its cultural legacy. Make of it what you will.

Edited by Valence
20 hours ago, Jeanne IX said:

We know there are Miqo'te in Eorzea, Ilsabard, and at least at one time Meracydia. We have not seen any evidence pointing to a native population of Miqo'te in Othard yet, but like Valence said there are those who could've come to Othard's cities on trade ships or caravans over the past few decades when trade between Eorzea and the Far East took off. Right now we don't know, but there's a fairly considerable grey area for those who want to make characters in it.

Here's a few relevant links:
- Miqo'te Lore

- Miqo'te In Othard

- Dalmasca Lore

Hope this helps!

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 7:29 AM, Unnamed Mercenary said:

None of the races are native to Eorzea. (Although they may claim to be after various Umbral Eras).

You can find a good writeup of Miqo'te lore here: http://mirkemenagerie.tumblr.com/post/180737329244/the-miqote

None of them? Who is native to Eorzea then? Just the beast tribes?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2019 at 2:57 PM, Sounsyy said:

We know there are Miqo'te in Eorzea, Ilsabard, and at least at one time Meracydia. We have not seen any evidence pointing to a native population of Miqo'te in Othard yet, but like Valence said there are those who could've come to Othard's cities on trade ships or caravans over the past few decades when trade between Eorzea and the Far East took off. Right now we don't know, but there's a fairly considerable grey area for those who want to make characters in it.

Here's a few relevant links:
- Miqo'te Lore

- Miqo'te In Othard

- Dalmasca Lore

Hope this helps!

Adding slightly to this, I was able to ask Koji a somewhat related question to this at the Paris fanfest. Namely if there are any miqo'te in HIngasi. And according to Koji there definetly are. And that especially the keepers of the moon there like it for it since HIngasi is closed off and the keepers prefer not to be disturbed by others.

• 4 months later...

i couldn't find the answer to this but maybe someone else had heard of it ... An fc mate was trying to sort out race ages and after hearing about the Viera we ended up discussing races by age and order. Till I got to au ra and I just couldn't find anything. Honest it never dawned on me to bother looking. Given previous race lore i just assumed they lived an average lifespan or shorter due depending on tribe and nature.

3 hours ago, Rosekitten said:

i couldn't find the answer to this but maybe someone else had heard of it ... An fc mate was trying to sort out race ages and after hearing about the Viera we ended up discussing races by age and order. Till I got to au ra and I just couldn't find anything. Honest it never dawned on me to bother looking. Given previous race lore i just assumed they lived an average lifespan or shorter due depending on tribe and nature.

Au ra were stated to living the same general hyur/lalafell/roegadyn/miqo'te average. Elezen have a -slight- increase of about 120% of the average (which is why they have a longer/delayed puberty in late teens). And then Viera are up there in the hundreds of years iirc.

44 minutes ago, Unnamed Mercenary said:

Au ra were stated to living the same general hyur/lalafell/roegadyn/miqo'te average. Elezen have a -slight- increase of about 120% of the average (which is why they have a longer/delayed puberty in late teens). And then Viera are up there in the hundreds of years iirc.

Thank you, I couldn't find it really said outright anywhere so I wasn't sure. I just assumed it was average. Guess I'll be writing a will for my husband's character to lay clam the estate given he rolled a Viera haha.