Ishgardians, Thank You for Helping with the Plot.

So I read this on the drug thread:

I know Ishgardian Holy Knights are allowed to operate within the borders of the Black Shroud. Gridania extradites fugitive heretics back into Ishgardian custody.

Rae is going to stop hanging out Gridania now. >.>

I am happy to hear the story kicking off!  *goes to read the post* Rae has already met a few members... with a fight to start it all off.  :D

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I so want to get involved in this because of the character I have created and it helps her story from what I've seen, but I am so nervous because she is brand new and I have yet to engage in any RP'ing other than with a friend, and I have a main character on another server.

Would you be willing to include a very new person and one that isn't on Balmung that often into the story?

Update!

I edited the original post to make it relevant to everything that is happening now. Anyone new to reading this thread, please go back and read the original post. Don't worry, its shorter this time :lol:

All who are in the LS, please read Xydane's Faces of Mercy short story. It is very brief, interesting and important to the plot.

I am still keeping the LS open for recruitment as I still want to recruit a few others. *pokes The Last Candle* :)

The main plot is finally now off to a good start. I am hoping to be able to arrange an IC meeting soon. Because people are on different time zones, we may do multiple meetings at different times.

Regarding the Plot.

Xydane Vale is already set in motion with his role.

I still need to contact one other person who is going to play an inquisitor for us :)

I am still considering the possibility of having the assassins played by actual players, but it may be just far easier to keep them as NPCs.

We will need to think about how we will deal with combat scenes as well. I will look into all of that, but I welcome input from anyone.

Yeah, I see you pokin' me. ;P IRL has been hectic of late, but I'll be back in-game on patch-day and we'll get in touch ASAP.

I so want to get involved in this because of the character I have created and it helps her story from what I've seen, but I am so nervous because she is brand new and I have yet to engage in any RP'ing other than with a friend, and I have a main character on another server.

Would you be willing to include a very new person and one that isn't on Balmung that often into the story?

You are not the only one in the boat of using an alt for the LS, or having limited play time for the plot. You can still join. I have many roles available to people.

As for limited RP experience on the character, that is totally fine. Its perfectly fine if you are new. The first RP would be a one-on-one with Kiht in order to ICly assess your character, and invite her to the LS. (Don't worry about the word "assess". I just mean Kiht would want to learn a bit about her history.)

You -will- have to give me your character's name though if you want me to find her in player search xD Or, you can send me a tell in-game. Either way.

Rae is going to stop hanging out Gridania now. >.>

Especially since Rae is a ----> "High-priority target" :lol:

That's my fault BTW. :evil: Its just how I show that I care.

Yeah, I see you pokin' me. ;P IRL has been hectic of late, but I'll be back in-game on patch-day and we'll get in touch ASAP.

Excellent :D

Update.

So, everyone else bored off their @$$? Longest maintenance ever.....

Anyways, I have been wracking my brain on how to integrate RP combat into our scenes if that becomes necessary. Most roll systems I've seen are not really viable for anything beyond 1 vs 1 combat. I was hoping to not have to limit us to that.

True that we will be likely doing most RP combat against NPCs, so one might ask, why do we need any kind of system? Because the scenes will be less fun if we know that we are always going to win, and not suffer any injuries. Part of the fun can be suspense, and the unpredictable.

My experience in RP combat is limited. I have been learning a bit from one of the players in our LS, but there is still the issue of setting rules and boundaries.

I am hoping to hear if anyone has any ideas? Feel free to post your ideas on this thread, or send me a PM.

I have an alternate idea I am trying to work out if we can't think of a decent system. I will tell everyone once I figure out if it might be viable.

In regards to rp combat I have used both the roll system and the trust system and both suck to be honest. I trust no one to be realistic and rolling disregards any skill your char may or may not have.

In WoW, we generally use the roll system and though I don't have a problem with it, TheWizard does make a good point. Do remember that "The Faces of Mercy" aren't just a rag tag group of thugs. We aren't walking away from this plot without any scratches.

But hey, I'm down for whatever everyone wants to do.

The couple of times that I have done combat we usually plotted out most of what we would like to happen. Obviously you both agree to the true outcome of the battle (I win you lose vice versa), the impact of the battle (type of injuries both are willingly to sustain), and free style the combat as it goes (bards fight dirty just an FYI). It doesn't have to be complicated or take 17 years to actually RP it out. Some battles are brief (surprise attack, ambush, etc) or some are stalemates/epic battles (you both know its coming, swords clash, arrows fly, people faint).

So long as both parties agree to the outcome and the way the battle will work, I think it'll be pretty easy.

Hey everyone! Just thought I'd let you know that I posted a screen of Scene #2 as well as Scene #3 of the plot via Xydane's role.

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=3633&pid=82302#pid82302

Like I said before, we are definitely kicking this into motion and all I ask is that everyone keep motivated and participate! :D

UPDATE!

The next major event for the LS is about to happen. This time, I want as many people as possible to join. It is not obligatory, but is a good next step to tying all our characters into the plot. It involves meeting with the antagonist once more, but this time, Kiht herself is going to meet with Xydane. I will not reveal anything further OOC >:)

So, I was hoping Friday would be a good day to do this.

What needs to be figured out is time. I am available from 12pm PST and onward on that day. I want to know if everyone who wants in on this event is available at this time or later? Please, either post your availability on this thread, or send it to me via PM.

If that day does not work out for most, we can find another day.

EVENT/COMBAT SYSTEM

After putting much thought into the system I have come up with a simple idea. I now submit the details to see if everyone approves, or has a better idea.

I call it the event-wide roll system. Basically, instead of rolling on the success or failure of defense, offense and counters which would be more suited to a one-on-one battle, the system would have each player roll for the success of their actions in the combat part of the overall event.

For example:

Exile one rolls. Exile one rolls a high number in the flawless success margin (i.e. above 70). Exile one emotes action and/or attacks as successful through that phase of the event. Exile one suffers no consequences.

Exile two rolls. Exile two rolls a mid-range number in the rough success margin (i.e. between 30 and 70). Exile two emotes success, but at a cost. That cost can be an injury, a broken weapon, broken armor, getting tired, getting afflicted with poison, ect. We can let that player decide what cost they will have their character suffer.

Exile three rolls. Exile three rolls a low number in the failure margin (i.e. below 30). Exile three emotes failure, but can maybe turn that failure into, at least, a contribution. For instance, Exile three is in the midst of battle when he sees Exile two about to get hit by an arrow or spell. Exile three leaps between Exile two and the arrow or spell, and gets hit by it instead. Exile three is gravely injured, knocked-out or otherwise incapacitated for the rest of that phase.

Taking agency into account:

This system actually allows for character abilities to be taken into account to an extent. It allows the player to choose how their character succeeds or fails. For example, Exile four is a bad-ass warrior named Duke Nukem. However, the player rolls a failure. To concede to the failure roll, yet allow his character to maintain bad-assery, he emotes as such:

/em engages his assassin attacker. Duke Nukem manages to match blows, and make effective blocks and parries of the assassin's attacks. Duke Nukem is too much for this one assassin to handle, and the assassin gets wounded by one of Duke Nukem's attacks. The assassin realizes that he will not win, so he pulls back and reaches into his robe pocket then pulls out an explosive charge. The assassin lights the charge, and grins wickedly as he hopes to take Duke Nukem with him. Duke Nukem's trained warrior reflexes allows him to leap away just in time to not suffer the full force of the explosion. However, the blast knocks him off his feet, and he lands on the ground so hard that it temporarily incapacitates him.

As you can see, his character went down like a hero. He is not dead, but the assassins is. He manages a small success even if he was ultimately knocked out. In the next phase, (if there is one for that event) he could shake off his daze, and rise to fight again, like a boss.

Summary/conclusion.

I have not yet decided on how we will do the rolls, but I'm sure there are websites for that. If anyone knows of one, please tell me. Otherwise, I will gladly do the search myself.

So, I would like to know who wants to be involved in the next event. Let me know when you are available via PM, with a post on this thread or with a tell in-game.

I would also like feedback on my proposed combat/event system. Does it need adjusting? Can we work with it at all? Does anyone have any other ideas?

Because Xydane won't be very available for the event until Friday, I have decided to hold mini-meetings during the week for LS members. They will be IC strategy and planning meetings. There are some things that Kiht needs to update everyone on. :)

I was considering Tuesday and Thursday for the meetings. As stated in the previous post, I would like people to tell me their availability for Friday, but also include your availability for Tues and Thurs as well now. With a couple meetings, and one event on Friday, there should be plenty of opportunities for everyone to get in on the plot now.

Remember, the meetings and event are not obligatory. You can show up for one, all or none.

Count me in!

I'm available for all of these times/dates if my comprehension of timezones is correct. Being from the future is a real pain in the butt, y'know?

Also I ultimately don't mind what sort of combat system we decide to go for, but I do rather like the one you have proposed. There are a bunch of diceroll systems on the 'net that we can pick from.

Both Darwyn and I have our static Coil on Friday from 8:00-11:00 EST, though I am available before that.  And after that, probably.  Really, I have no life.

The only other day of the week I am booked is Wednesday.  Pathfinder night, yo!

My only question about the combat system would be how would you like to handle healing/shielding?  I ask because that is really all my character does- party cleric.

I should be able to make Thursday nights and Friday nights, although I do not see Rae taking part in any combat so I wouldn't take my character's participation into heavy consideration for this. She is definitely a non-combatant. Kind of.

Kiht and Saehri need to have a chat bah! Sorry, I haven't been on. ; ; /grovel There has been life and Atmas and stuff. I'll probably miss this one (going on vacation this week) but I'll get on Saehri sometime next week(end)!

Both Darwyn and I have our static Coil on Friday from 8:00-11:00 EST, though I am available before that.  And after that, probably.  Really, I have no life.

The only other day of the week I am booked is Wednesday.  Pathfinder night, yo!

My only question about the combat system would be how would you like to handle healing/shielding?  I ask because that is really all my character does- party cleric.

Friday's event will probably be later than 12pm PST because Xydane mentioned "Friday nights". I know he is in an earlier time zone. I think he is CST or EST? So it will be afternoon or night for most, I think.

As for how the combat system will involve healing/protective magic:

Rheah sees the assassins about to unleash a volley of arrows. She rolls a high number in the flawless success margin. She casts a barrier field that blocks all arrows.

OR

Rheah sees the assassins about to unleash a volley of arrows. She rolls a mid-range number in the rough success margin. She casts a barrier field that blocks most arrows, but some break through.

OR

Rheah sees the assassins about to unleash a volley of arrows. She rolls a low number in the failure margin. She casts a barrier field that does not establish quickly enough to block most arrows. Only some are blocked (maybe the ones that would have otherwise hit some people in vital areas).

With healing magic, it can work something like this:

Darwyn is in combat with an assassin. Darwyn rolls a low number in the failure margin. Darwyn and his assassin opponent severely injure each other, and Darwyn goes down.

Rheah sees Darwyn go down, and rushes to his aid. Then she rolls. If she rolls high, she casts (insert healing magic spell here) to heal him quickly, and he is brought back into the fight for the next phase. If she rolls Mid-range, he is healed some, but she is either interrupted by an assassin, or she runs low on aether/mana. Darwyn is still a bit wounded, but he rises to fight in the next phase with grim determination. If she rolls low in the failure margin, she barely manages to heal him enough to save him from death, but she is interrupted or temporarily runs out of aether to cast any further at that moment. Darwyn must be aided further, and can't rise to fight in the next phase unless someone else aids him at that moment.

NOTE: I may have used the word 'death' in that previous example, but NOBODY'S character will die in this plot unless they want that to happen. I am almost certain none of us want that to happen. So, the worst-case scenario if we fail a lot in an encounter is we all flee and survive by the skin on our teeth, or something miraculous happens to save us from certain death.

I should be able to make Thursday nights and Friday nights, although I do not see Rae taking part in any combat so I wouldn't take my character's participation into heavy consideration for this. She is definitely a non-combatant. Kind of.

No worries. If Kiht knows that someone in the group is not good at combat, or needs protection, she will assign one of the other exiles to protect that person or persons.

Or, that player can bow-out completely, and emote a defense or reason why the assassins can't or don't attack them. That player character can then just observe and emote reactions to the happenings. If we are victorious, or forced to flee, that non-combat character will just follow suit.

Kiht and Yvelont need to talk IC soon. Tongue But yes, I should be able to make those times.

Yes! We do! However, I am not sure if we can manage to focus around each other enough to actually RP anymore :lol: If it comes to it, I will just shoot you an invite, and we can pretend Kiht talked to Yvelont and gave him a linkpearl.

Kiht and Saehri need to have a chat bah! Sorry, I haven't been on. ; ; /grovel There has been life and Atmas and stuff. I'll probably miss this one (going on vacation this week) but I'll get on Saehri sometime next week(end)!

I have been looking for you. I guess this is why I haven't found you. When you come back to the game, please let me know when and what day you will be available. I still have an idea for your character, and that won't expire anytime soon. :) Fear not, there will be many more events and stuff in the future.