Fantasia usage ICly?

Raelas

I've just come back after a about two months of RL getting in the way and I see that Fantasia's are buyable now?

What is the consensus of using one ICly to change race / sex ect...?

Please let me know! :)

Also, Hello to anyone who knows / cared enough to miss me. xD

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to be in the minority I suspect, but I don't much care for it. Just hanging out in the Quicksand has let me overhear probably a dozen "I drank it by accident / it spilled on me / someone baked it into cookies" and while there's nothing inherently wrong with that...

It makes me wonder why we're not just weaponizing it and turning every enemy we find into someone else. RIP Dravanian horde, you are now all lalafell.

I used one conjoined with my back story for my character. Granted the only thing I did was change the gender with a story that she was never male in the first place and that there were reasons she was hiding who she was. Though ic or in the story in general I don't say it was a potion that was used.. more along the lines she dressed as the other gender for a while till she felt safe so to speak.

I have heard some silly reasons ic as to how a potion was consumed but really its up to the one using the potion. If they want to keep the character they made and the story then I think it may be more rewarding to think of a way besides some mishap or accident.

Or if you haven't rp'ed with many then you could do as my husband did and just get in touch with whoever you did rp with and see if they would be willing to write off whatever you were and just say you were what you plan to be all along.

I can understand its usage is the character was dressing as its opposite gender in any passable fashion. That's more along the lines of dressing to their gender than actually swapping it IC.

I do think its a grey area though.. I'm not one to call people out on such decisions when its clearly within the lore of the game that the potions exist.

I'm just a little weary of it. xD

I'm fine with it, but people who use it should expect repercussions from whatever race they changed in to. I just don't really see it being accepted too well by most folk ICly.

There's just something inherently weird about being able to change your physical appearance but have none of the social upbringing of actually being your new race. ICly, Hornet is against it. That being said, for witness protection purposes I think it could have fantastic applications.

I WONDERED WHERE YOU WERE.

OK I shall chime in as someone who used fantasia for an IC change.

I am actually ignoring that Fantasia exists in lore. It does not exist for me. Why? Because it would make it too easy and negligible to Kage's story about his change.

I'm using an idea that an experiment was done to him. He doesn't know what or why so it has caused him some issues with people. Some think he is an imposter. Some actually like Kage's change. Others don't seem to care at all. This experiment has long term consequences for Kage's story that will take months IRL to come to fruition.

Yangh! Welcome back! I've wonder why Yangh hasn't been seen drinking far more than is healthy at the Quicksand!

As for in-character fantasia use -- I say, why not! The game gives a decent enough blurb on the potion's effects, and so many other things are possible in the world anyway. Go for it!

highlander male best thing yas

;_; Kage! You have a TAIL!! What happened?!

Did you really miss me?! *cries tears of joy*

Kage does! It'll come out! I think. @_@ Short story: In the process of defending Ul'dah Kage has come under the notice of at least one Garlean's evil scrutiny.

yes! I wondered where you were! I.. just thought you got tired of hanging around Ul'dah or RPing in there T_T;

I have no issue taking responsibility for turning an army of dragons into a bunch of rolling potato people.

But the rolling potatoes hide danger behind their cuteness!

.........................................................wait.....

Potatoes? :evil:

(lol)

I've yet to see it done well and it just feels like a rather cheap gimmick. I've paid to change my character's race and appearance in other MMO's but I didn't have them undergo some sort of weird transformation. I simply created a fresh character and new concept.

I've yet to see it done well and it just feels like a rather cheap gimmick. I've paid to change my character's race and appearance in other MMO's but I didn't have them undergo some sort of weird transformation. I simply created a fresh character and new concept.

I've seen it done well in a few instances, and used cheaply in others. 

A character that mine is acquainted with had to come to grips with losing his tail after transforming from Miqo'te to Hyur. He kept trying to twitch it, and always made to move it out of the way when sitting -- only to remember that it wasn't there anymore. The player made emotes about adjusting his vision, being hungrier than he used to, and having trouble being nimble -- though he did enjoy his newfound strength!

Adversely, I've seen people pop up and say, "OH I'M A HYUR NOW WOW IT'S A THING BUT OKAY."  I don't really have anything against that portrayal, but it's such a waste of a good roleplaying opportunity! Think of the character development!

Sometimes people would rather continue playing a certain character and would rather not perform any sort of retcons -- even after race/sex/guardian changing! It's why I don't particularly see it as a bad thing. It's just a shame that so many folks don't capitalize on it as roleplayers.

I haven't had the time to fully emote and RP how bad and how fast Kage has had to adjust being a Miqo'te now. The first week or so Kage had issues, stumbling and walking about. He had been working on it on the side but he was confronted with the need that he needed to not be a liability in combat or defensive action.

His balance is off. He hits things with his tail. If the Brass blades put him in some place where he needed to hide and scout, he'd forget that he has things to hide *cough* ears *cough* tail* cough* He's taken lengths to breathe through his nose because he's just not used to how strong it is. As a Lalafell, Kage used to always jump ontop of the railing in Quicksand to observe the patrons. Now, he has to be super careful or he'd just jump clear over it or hit something along the way. Like hitting one of the patrons' tables.

Part of why Kage hasn't been falling all over the place is because of necessity. He forced himself through sleepless days and nights, hurting himself physically in the process too, to acclimate to it. Is he completely? Not at all.

Fantasia is a super slippery slope for RP. I generally kind of don't really acknowledge it ICly either. I'm fortunate I think in that nobody that I RP with on an ongoing basis has utilized it at all (but we are mostly like-minded folk anyway) because it's just.... weird. I suppose if one utilize it I wouldn't have a major problem trying to RP through it, but if I were going to use it myself (and I have considered it), it would be after IC killing the character off and starting anew, but maintaining all that OOC progression stuff. I know someone that did something like this, in fact.

What I think would bother me would be if someone who was, say, Elezen used a Fantasia potion to become a Miqo'te and then dubbed themself a nuhn and went on to change their entire backstory (I don't mean fabricating one for him- or herself but actually retconning). This - to me - kind of spits in the face of any and all RP that happened between me and the elezen. Did it never happen? Are we not friends? Do I even know you anymore?!

I think it should be regarded as being extremely rare, and I think in certain situations its use can be seen as creative, so long as it doesn't carry with it any sort of retcons or nullify previous RP. An old female friend who is now suddenly an attractive roegadyn male could certainly create some awkwardness in an RP setting, and some fun problems to try and work through.

But honestly my own preference is that I'd rather just sidestep the entire issue if at all possible. And for myself, if I ever use a Fantasia it will come with a name change and we'll be creating a brand new character (but we've kinda grown to like Eva and Ben so that may well never happen).

I thought it would be a really fun plot for people to go through being slipped a fantasia and changing aspects of the characters several times as they figure out who's responsible for all the mischief.

Then they came out and were $10 a pop. Nope!

I'm not really sure how I feel about it ICly yet. Like, it should be treated as a thing that people know about, but it's kinda rare and dangerous to get and use. I dunno. I guess I haven't thought about it beyond the disappointment in their price.

Fantasia is a super slippery slope for RP.  I generally kind of don't really acknowledge it ICly either.  I'm fortunate I think in that nobody that I RP with on an ongoing basis has utilized it at all (but we are mostly like-minded folk anyway) because it's just.... weird.  I suppose if one utilize it I wouldn't have a major problem trying to RP through it, but if I were going to use it myself (and I have considered it), it would be after IC killing the character off and starting anew, but maintaining all that OOC progression stuff.  I know someone that did something like this, in fact.

What I think would bother me would be if someone who was, say, Elezen used a Fantasia potion to become a Miqo'te and then dubbed themself a nuhn and went on to change their entire backstory (I don't mean fabricating one for him- or herself but actually retconning).  This - to me - kind of spits in the face of any and all RP that happened between me and the elezen.  Did it never happen?  Are we not friends?  Do I even know you anymore?!

I think it should be regarded as being extremely rare, and I think in certain situations its use can be seen as creative, so long as it doesn't carry with it any sort of retcons or nullify previous RP.  An old female friend who is now suddenly an attractive roegadyn male could certainly create some awkwardness in an RP setting, and some fun problems to try and work through.

But honestly my own preference is that I'd rather just sidestep the entire issue if at all possible.  And for myself, if I ever use a Fantasia it will come with a name change and we'll be creating a brand new character (but we've kinda grown to like Eva and Ben so that may well never happen).

Eva wrote it better than I could have. It's just one of those things that I view as solely developed for the players but was given a LITTLE lore piece just for the sake of making it less random, but not something to be taking seriously; the same way that the job classes in some cases just all happen to be in a situation where they will begin recruiting/teaching again... and to random people of all things.

I used Fantasia to change Yvelont into a Lalafell briefly, but it wasn't IC. In fact, the few instances of RP I -did- have while Lalafied, I was playing as a young Lalafell named Hibi. I discovered I liked playing him, so I ended up creating him after changing Yvelont back!

For myself, I'll echo Eva: I'm extremely glad no one directly involved with my character has done this. Fantasia, because of its nature, if it's regarded ICly at all should be seen as something rare and fantastic (ha) and not easily obtainable in the slightest. When people mention these gender and/or race switches happening IC (and there have been a few times it's come up in casual conversation with someone..) I have my characters express disbelief and.. horror in Ken's case.

If I used it, it'd be to ditch Yvelont and create an entirely new persona, keeping my OOC level progression.

If I used it, it'd be to ditch Yvelont and create an entirely new persona, keeping my OOC level progression.

This. I have a fantasia forever sitting in my retainer space. I'd only ever use it if Ruru was killed ICly and couldn't come back, but even then I'd need to be able to edit my name, so unlikely I'll use it. 

My take is, I'm Ruru. I'm a Lalafell. I was born a Lalafell and I will die as a Lalafell. Ruru faces a hard life. Short, teased quite often for his height, even bullied and threatened by some players for the same reason. Rejected by some people as "unable to rp with a Lalafell" because others play them in such a childish way. And I took that hard at first. Even considred changing for a minute. But then I accept the pitfalls Ruru faces as part of his life. They are hurdles which he must overcome.

So yeah....no potions for me. Lalafell until the end. :thumbsup:

I actually once had the experience of somewhat having to deal with someone re-roll their character and change them a bit without talking to people in FFXIV:ARR. It led to some arguments between him and some people who had had character interactions with him. The very first scenes after he re-rolled were filled with ((Oh he didn't act that way... this is what he did in that situation..)) ((I re-rolled him, that happened differently)).

When I made Kage's change from Lalafell to Miqo'te nothing about him had been retconned about his story. I know people who I talked about it with were worried about it but retconning had never, ever been in mind. It's definitely not been an easily obtainable potion that changed him but an event that may very well turn into a horror event. Experiments of this nature just do not get done without horrific consequences, especially when the victim doesn't know any details about it.

When a name change doesn't involve me being away from the people I enjoy playing the game with for 72 hours I'll be using Fantasia when and if Kage's story is put to rest and/or he dies. I really can't just level a character and go through the main story quest again xD;