Fantasia usage ICly?

Raelas

It sounds like a lot of the problem is really from the inability to name change in a realistic way and that's a real blunder on the developer's part.

I go along with people ICly when they "do the change" to a point. Otherwise if I drastically changed my character then it would honestly just be a new persona in game. I've come to enjoy the mistakes I make when I create a character; they become endearing. 

I made a cleric/ranger once in Neverwinter Nights which turned out to be a really bad combination, but as it was on a role play private created server I fell in love with her and went with it. She was also human and on the server half-elf was what Dunedain were suppose to be. So she ended up being a regular human whose family protected Dunedain and ended up travelling with her "brother". It brought up a lot of mistrust with the elves, rangers, men, until she proved her motives and she was the best mistake ever. I would have never experienced her storyline if I went and 'fixed' the problem for my initial idea.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since it's something that has some lore behind it, yeah, I have L'yhta accept that Fantasia is a thing that exists, although to her knowledge, it's extremely rare. Mysterium's had two instances of characters being subjected to Fantasia, and in both cases, it was a fairly large plot point and in one case, it wasn't even Fantasia ICly (it was an "experiment" by an evil, insane alchemist). Both characters have had fairly significant adjustment issues, both socially and physically, and both are still quite angry at the people behind their changes.

Personally, I think Fantasia is a good thing for a story when it produces some interesting RP, like ExKage mentioned. People learning how to adapt to a new form with different physical characteristics and dealing with the social elements (a newly minted miqo'te woman being leered at, a new roegadyn male being viewed as both violent and dumb, etc.) can produce some good stories. Hell, a "we all woke up one morning as Lalafell!" story could be good for a few laughs, albeit expensive laughs. However, like any major character change involving a rare substance, you have to be careful not to be cliche about it.

I have to agree that I don't really like the idea of someone using Fantasia to retcon a character while keeping the same name. However, I don't like people retconning characters in the first place.

My take is, I'm Ruru. I'm a Lalafell. I was born a Lalafell and I will die as a Lalafell. Ruru faces a hard life. Short, teased quite often for his height, even bullied and threatened by some players for the same reason. Rejected by some people as "unable to rp with a Lalafell" because others play them in such a childish way. And I took that hard at first. Even considred changing for a minute. But then I accept the pitfalls Ruru faces as part of his life. They are hurdles which he must overcome.

So yeah....no potions for me. Lalafell until the end. :thumbsup:

Don't worry, Zhi will whip him into shape. >: )

*coughcough*

On topic, because my time in game has been so limited, and the number of people I've rped with has been limited, I thought for the longest time that it was something that people just quietly didn't acknowledge. Like, you know, pretending the guy was always that gender or species.

If I was to use it icly, I'd play it out in such a way as it would be hard as balls to repeat, and would involve some sort of sacrifice so my character would avoid it thereafter. Or I dunno, but pretty much it'd be a one time thing and would involve Bad Things.

Don't worry, Zhi will whip him into shape.  >: )

*coughcough*

Well then time to get to it! LOL! *points at PM sent* xD

And no.....no....no....Zhi is NEVER allowed to change! She's the surly, grouchy and tough as nails Miqo'te. Zhi as a Lalafell....? :dazed:

Unlike most 'change your character' things Fantasia actually has some lore and junk around it, so I have no problem treating it as an IC thing. Now, it's also supposed to be very rare and precious so if, say, someone used it to change something small like their hair, or seemed to come back every couple months totally changed by it, it'd be kinda a 'what the hell?'

Well... this thread took of nicely!

*waves to Berrod and Kage*

I'm not dead! I promise! I'll be  back in Ul'dah in no time flat! :)

As for Fantasia? I had considered using one myself ICly as part of a way for Yangh to hide from her family... but i'm really not sold on the idea at all.

I was considering a Hyur @_@

Fantasia sounds like what happens when you drink too much!  "Imma.. hic... lalafel now.  I used to be a highlander.. ayup.  Swear."

"I used to be a Highlander. Then I took a Fantasia-laced cookie."

??

I admit, I did feel a leeeetle teeny tiny bit defensive because as far as I know I'm one of the only ones who has actually used Fantasia for an IC plot. I also have had quite a few people send me tells about it @_@; But overall I feel like Kage's had some great characterization and until I reach that side effect plot, I'll be riding on a pretty great RP high. For the last week I've been antsy and at the edge of my seat excited with all the plot I've been able to work in and with. OOCly I was feeling like Kage as a lalafell was getting stale. I had great help with the plotting of it and I'm reaping the RP rewards.

Fantasia sounds like what happens when you drink too much!  "Imma.. hic... lalafel now.  I used to be a highlander.. ayup.  Swear."

"I used to be a Highlander. Then I took a Fantasia-laced cookie."

??

I admit, I did feel a leeeetle teeny tiny bit defensive because as far as I know I'm one of the only ones who has actually used Fantasia for an IC plot. I also have had quite a few people send me tells about it @_@; But overall I feel like Kage's had some great characterization and until I reach that side effect plot, I'll be riding on a pretty great RP high. For the last week I've been antsy and at the edge of my seat excited with all the plot I've been able to work in and with. OOCly I was feeling like Kage as a lalafell was getting stale. I had great help with the plotting of it and I'm reaping the RP rewards.

(for what it's worth, I like how you did it. I just really liked reading about Kage the lalafell. But you've thought it all out, so I mean. . .my protest was meant to be humorous. Sorry! >>)

(for what it's worth, I like how you did it.  I just really liked reading about Kage the lalafell.  But you've thought it all out, so I mean. . .my protest was meant to be humorous.  Sorry! >>;)

((No need to feel sorry! I wasn't thinking of your comment at all. It was actually in-game stuff I was commenting on. I'm really glad people liked LalaKage! :D Just as his player, for some reason, things just got incredibly stale for me and my small depression was not helping. A little change and well... I hope people do like to read about and RP with Kago'te as much as they did LalaKage.))

As for Fantasia? I had considered using one myself ICly as part of a way for Yangh to hide from her family... but i'm really not sold on the idea at all.

Welcome back, Cannonball! That'll throw Dog for a loop for sure. "Didn't you have a tail last time we met?"

I admit, I did feel a leeeetle teeny tiny bit defensive because as far as I know I'm one of the only ones who has actually used Fantasia for an IC plot. 

While I didn't Fantasia Askier or Jin'li I have been using it as part of the Jin'li plot that has been occurring.

In it, there is a character called "The Doctor" who fantasied himself to look like Askier to set him up.  While its not as altering as yours, I do feel fantasia has a ton of potential for plot purposes, especially if people are trying to run a cloak and dagger style rp.

So overall I have no problem with the potions being used for rp, catch is not to have it over used though. Least in my mind, I pictured fantasia extremely complex and rather rare potions.

Granted based on the forums my view maybe a minority with all the transformations going on but. . . Lol

Welcome back, Cannonball! That'll throw Dog for a loop for sure. "Didn't you have a tail last time we met?"

Dogberry! I forgot to mention you! Cannonballs for life! I see I missed a pirate voyage... this make me and Yangh very sadpanda ;_;

I admit, I did feel a leeeetle teeny tiny bit defensive because as far as I know I'm one of the only ones who has actually used Fantasia for an IC plot. 

While I didn't Fantasia Askier or Jin'li I have been using it as part of the Jin'li plot that has been occurring.

In it, there is a character called "The Doctor" who fantasied himself to look like Askier to set him up.  While its not as altering as yours, I do feel fantasia has a ton of potential for plot purposes, especially if people are trying to run a cloak and dagger style rp.

So overall I have no problem with the potions being used for rp, catch is not to have it over used though. Least in my mind, I pictured fantasia extremely complex and rather rare potions.

Granted based on the forums my view maybe a minority with all the transformations going on but. . . Lol

I wouldn't say your view is a minority. The impression I'm getting from this thread is that people seem to agree Fantasia and similar effects should be extremely rare, in theory. It's just.. in practice it's more common than everyone seems to think. xD

I wouldn't say your view is a minority. The impression I'm getting from this thread is that people seem to agree Fantasia and similar effects should be extremely rare, in theory. It's just.. in practice it's more common than everyone seems to think. xD

At least within the subset of Eorzeans that are PC adventurers. :)

If L'yhta were more aware of such things, she'd probably start wondering aloud about who's targeting adventurers with Fantasia, finding out who the pushers are, and deciding how to address the problem -- since it seems to be specific to the adventurer community. :)

Fantasia Flavor Text: Legend states that any who drink this mysterious liquid before lying down for the evening will awaken a new man (or woman). Grants you a single opportunity to edit your appearance in the character creation screen upon your next login.

To me, this is simply an item that they added to overcome a game mechanic and make them money. It should not be used ICly. It is implied it is extremely rare, and it's affects are not confirmed, but rumored/legendary, basically.

An acceptable reasons (TO ME) to use it would be to change to what your character was always supposed to be in 1.0. This does not involve IC use of the potion. For example, Miqo'te males, Highlander females, Roegadyn females - all not available as playable races in 1.0, but some characters did exist that were them. They can now match their appearance in game to what there character was supposed to be. Another example would be a character that was a Hyur in 1.0 and the player really always wanted them to be something else but could not change them. A retcon would be necessary, instead of using the potion ICly, in my opinion, so that the character "was always" the other race - talk to the players you RP with in that instance so that they know about the retcon and can deal with it.. which can be hard. No one likes to retcon.

The ONLY IC instance of using Fantasia that I personally would really accept would be to "cast glamour" on the character. It wouldn't be an actual change, but a disguise, basically. There are several instances in the game of complete changes of appearance being referred to as a sort of magical glamour (imps, slyphs, etc, have done it) and the potion could be an acceptable way of doing it.

Other than that? If someone mentions using Fantasia to me ICly, my character thinks they're nuts. You are what you appear to be. If you tell her you used to be a Lalafell, and you're a Miqo'te, she's going to think you need some serious help.

I've used it, and in a weird way, it's ic.

For Teryaani, the change wasn't caused by the fantasia itself. In this case it's an entirely different person stealing the name of a fallen adventurer as an alias in the hopes of hiding from her own past.

She saw the person meet their end in Ul'dah and they weren't particularly famous or infamous. After all, she had never heard of them.

Sure a syndicate wanted them dead, but they know that they killed their mark right?

It's the perfect plan and there is no way it could ever go wrong!

Thanks for the opinion's my lovelies! ♥

Also, hello Aysun! :)

Upon much reflection i've decided to not go ahead with it... I just can't justify it with myself at all! The most i'd consider? Perhaps changing from Keeper to Seeker with the excuse being she always wore contacts and fake fangs...

Even that is a stretch!

Fantasia is the best example in XIV of how giving a paid account services item a little bit of flavor text is a terrible, terrible idea...

...unless you don't care about role-play and lore consistency, which describes pretty much every big budget MMO developer ever, including SE.

If there was even a bit of evidence that Fantasia saw any use in the story I'd be for it, but there really isn't any mention of them outside of the items flavor text, at all. 

Granted, It'd be wrong of me to say your RP is invalid or bad because you use a Fantasia IC, but when I see the cliched "Oh no! I drank a Fantasia by mistake and now I'm a GIRL OH NOES" roleplay going on I am going to do my best to stay clear.

To me, fantasia is a 100% ooc product, made to appease people who regret their initial decisions. So, even if someone stood and told me icly about how they magically became a different race, my character would assume they're insane/deranged. Which is a right that I'll always reserve, not to disapprove of someones RP but as a way for me to pull my character away from who-ever is doing it, because it conflicts with how I see things, and I don't want it actually skewering any of the major RP i engage in.

It's one of those "Just because you theoretically could, doesn't mean you should" situations. 

If you want to change your race, make a new character out of it, chances are it's going to much more fun that way as well because you get to use that race's racial background and traits.

If it's in the game, I don't see why it shouldn't be lore. I would prefer if people used it and said they did to change race, none of the cliche "Accidentally drank some". But if the character used it to change a few unnoticeable features that could have been changed with the barber, theeeeen that would be a waste. If your character said they were experimented on or cursed with something and swapped spirits/bodies whatever.. I'd stay away, sorry, because you could have used a phantasia bottle IC instead.

I dunno, go with it, just don't make it complicated. Next time you meet someone it'll hopefully go like "Did you change gender or something" "Yes, I got myself a fantasia potion. They're pretty rare" "Oh, okay. Dont need details, whatever floats your boat" done \o/

Not everything present in a game is backed up by lore or even meant to be taken as anything other than a convenient game mechanic. I know some people will claim that they're just being 'creative' by having their character change from a Hyur to a Miqo'te but as far as I'm concerned true creativity in role-play involves embracing limitations just as often as opportunities.

Obviously nobody can force anyone to stop doing something but at the same time they shouldn't be shocked when such things are avoided or frowned upon.

I will proudly admit to using it for a stupid, crass in-character joke thing in which my Arcanist tried to minimize her bustline with alchemy and instead maximized it by using the wrong ingredients by mistake from overtiredness and illness.

Because it amused me for five minutes and...really, it's not a huge deal.

I mean, it's a freebie for subscribing for awhile and it apparently exists in the game world...doesn't need to be so serious a thing, might as well use it and have fun with it.