RP classes that don't exist in game!

Ok, now hear me out because... I don't want my dreams crushed.

I love Blue Mage. Everything about it. Its theme, its skill-set, the weapons, the armour, the spells EVERYTHING!!

I DESPERATELY wanted it over Ninja. Stupid Ninja. *pouts*

So, I write this today to ask of two things.

1. What is the likely hood that I could RP the blue mage class? As it stands my concept would be a Scimitar, swordplay and a few choice spells from the monsters of Eorzea. My character is Arabian themed, even speaks in Arabic (Called Akshar ingame). So that covers its middle eastern type origin.

2. If you think this could feasible, I'd like to ask everyone here to help me create a character sheet for the class from an RP stand point. We would choose its skills predominantly. I feel if we all had a say in WHAT skill they could have from the monsters of the world (Nothing OP) we could create Blue Mage RP template that could be distributed for others that wanted to RP a Blue Mage.

Of course if Blue Mage were ever released we'd not need it but lets face it, we ALL have had that niggling though when you see mob us En Aero and said to ourselves;

"Dammit SE! WHEN'S RED MAGE?!"

If we could make it work for Blue Mage, Red mage is easy! Everything is already in front of us... we just need to put it altogether.

Please, please, please! Do not turn this thread into a flame war, constructive criticism and ideas ONLY. If you do not like the idea, say so in a fashion that displays it in an orderly manner.

Thank you! ♥

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One mage

Two mage

Red Mage

Blue Mage.

Actually Red Mage is fairly easy to finagle because of how some cross-class abilities work.  You just wouldn't be able to do it with a soul crystal equipped unless/until it becomes an actual thing.  Something to keep in mind if you're going to try and do any IC dungeon runs at higher levels.

Blue Mage is the toughy because of its reliance on monster abilities, but I think as a non-Soul Crystal bearing class-based template, it can be somewhat rigged to work for the sake RP purposes, and it would work similar to Red Mage as noted above.  Just have to be a little more creative and see which existing cross-classing spells and abilities come close to existing monster abilities and go from there.

Second Wind, for example, could be substituted for White Wind, of some similar monster self-healing ability.

One mage

Two mage

Red Mage

Blue Mage.

Actually Red Mage is fairly easy to finagle because of how some cross-class abilities work.  You just wouldn't be able to do it with a soul crystal equipped unless/until it becomes an actual thing.

Blue Mage is the toughy because of its reliance on monster abilities, but I think as a non-Soul Crystal bearing class-based template, it can be somewhat rigged to work for the sake RP purposes, and it would work similar to Red Mage as noted above.  Just have to be a little more creative and see which existing cross-classing spells and abilities come close to existing monster abilities and go from there.

Ciel! You pretty Elezen you... you've just made my evening!

I plan to pick 8 monster skills of varying ability's. Blue Mage to me was always about versatility. Then i'd offset that weakish spell power with some elegant sword play. I'd really like to have a mechanic that suggests offensive spells could only be cast if a specific sword maneuver was to be performed and landed its target.

It sounds like a real fun character to play with. As for how, like the pretty lady above me stated, just get creative with cross class skills. I myself do this as a future story for Erik involves him becoming a Dark Knight. Its an ic secret but I let it slip in here and there with B4B, and will pretend untul SE gives me back my darkness... damn ninjas.

I thought to make the power of Blue Spells the weapon itself. I agree that Blue Mage would be a crystaless class. I described the scimitar as ornate with sweeping Arabic text on the flat of the blade along with 8 different coloured gems set in the hilt. So I think a monster skill is stored in each gem and the user must hold the sword to use the power sort of deal. Does that sound plausible?

I want to stress once more! If we as a COMMUNITY decide to accept this proposal I would like us as a COMMUNITY to flesh out the concept to be used by any who would like it.

I'd like us all to decide on the skill set of a Blue Mage until we actually get one (Again, damn ninjas!!!)

I think that is a fair distribution and while not all read these forums on the RP side of things a lot of us do and most of us are very opened minded to lore bending for correct purposes!

I think it's a good idea, and a good thing you are approaching it so carefully.  My general rule for these things is "If there is no lore established, I am free to work with it, within reason."  So as long as you don't directly go -against- anything that's been laid out, you're fine.

If the actual class ever -were- released, that could cause some issues, but nothing we couldn't work through.  If nothing else, it coul dbe a derivitive of the blue mage that is passed down through your tribe or something, but not be the exact blue mage we get.  That would leave it lore friendly, but give you the freedom to experiment amd mpt be hard bound to the blue mage lore SE gives us. (again, within reason.)

As for coming up with a character sheet and, skills, rp template, you can grab me pretty much anytime I'm not at work and we could brainstorm.

Personally, I'd like to see you do this with your character.  It would be interesting, and I think your "sword dance" mechanic sounds neat.  There will of course be lore nazis and people who will spit on your idea, but you know what?  You don't want to rp with them anyway.  Your idea is -not- currently going against lore.  You're merely working in the grey area.  I like that.

Based on the feed back I've gotten so far I've begun to flesh out how it may all work using current lore.

The scimitar itself IS the power. No soul gem. This would be a watered down derivative of something greater. Much like Conjury and White Magery except this would be much more watered down than the difference of Conjury and White Magery.

I propose to use the Gem's like permanent reusable aether crystals that store the essence of a monster killed within it. So its aether is drawn in and can be activated by running the wielder's aether through the sword after a specific sword dance combination for each.

Obtaining the skill would be step one, learning to use it would be an entirely different step. A much harder one that comes with backlash effects if not performed correctly.

I'd also like to propose that because the sword itself is the power, disarming said Psuedo Blue Mage would disable their ability to USE said skills.

A nice draw back for a cool concept... and a balancing one at that.

Thoughts?

Love it Yangh. Very balanced indeed. I am fully in support of this epicness.

Agreed with this. Not only do I like the idea as a whole, but I also like that you've taken steps to balance it and make sure it doesn't become entirely OP and, on top of that, asked for a more community-accepted opinion.

I like how it has come together and, while it has the potential to be very formidable indeed, it also has the potential to be thoroughly useless. Wonderful!

I don't see too much of an issue. As long as you don't over-do it, you know. I.e. make it sound as though you've invented the job or anything. I like to kinda gamble and pre-rp classes that I think will be in game. I rp my alt as if he was a Black Knight, for example, but because of events in the past he smashed his weapon. That way, by the time I could say he re-forges it, the expansion for Black Knight will come out. Here's hoping anyway~

But I never come out and say that's what he is, just sort of heavily imply it. It'll make the story that much more powerful when SE provides the means. It seems like they're saving the popular classes for the paid expansion too. Like, everyone likes Red Mage. . . SE probably picked up on that and wants some of your monies for it :3

Never lose hope!~ :moogle:

Am I the only one who isn't comfortable with people RPing classes that don't exist?

I mean we just don't know what SE is going to do. Look at Thief, if a bunch of people who decided to rp it before it was announced, they'd be SoL now because SE has come in and said Thief wouldn't work lore wise so they changed it to rogue and all rogues turn into Ninja. That's a lot of retconning.

Am I the only one who isn't comfortable with people RPing classes that don't exist?

I mean we just don't know what SE is going to do. Look at Thief, if a bunch of people who decided to rp it before it was announced, they'd be SoL now because SE has come in and said Thief wouldn't work lore wise so they changed it to rogue and all rogues turn into Ninja. That's a lot of retconning.

I don't think so. I think it's ok as long as you keep things rather subdued. Does it really matter if someone said they were a thief? What's the difference between a thief and a rogue, semantics really. In the same way someone might say they're a tracker or a poacher instead of an archer. They could be a gladiator without a shield and say they're a samurai or a alchemist being a chemist as a combat class.

Or if someone wants to have a sword equipped and cast some spells (red mage) I think that's ok too. In the end of the day it's all about using classes to create better stories. If people are claiming to be a dark knight or a time mage for powergaming that's one thing, but if not, who cares, let people have their fun. Especially with martial classes. No reason someone couldn't be a samurai, for example.

You also need to remember that FFXIV has taken Jobs from previous final fantasy games normal classes but the games actual classes that build into those jobs did not really exist in previous FF games. Rogue builds into Ninja and while it seems similar to Thief. They specifically avoid using the term thief. I believe Thief WILL be added into the game later on as a job and that a Rogue and thief are too very different things. So someone roleplaying as a thief is perfectly entitled to do so. Regardless thief is not just a class, anyone who wants to steal stuff could be a thief. So just calling yourself a thief is not really something foreign to the FFXIV world as it is in all worlds.

I don't think so. I think it's ok as long as you keep things rather subdued. Does it really matter if someone said they were a thief? What's the difference between a thief and a rogue, semantics really. In the same way someone might say they're a tracker or a poacher instead of an archer. 

This, pretty much. What your character is labelled as really has little to do with how the lore follows. Val wields a lance, for example. He's far more proficient with daggers, but the lance is to catch people off guard and buy him time to figure out how his opponent fights. 

So long as you aren't strictly saying the background of the class as a whole (such as where the art was formed, where everyone studied, etc etc) then I don't think it really matters. As for skills, why limit oneself to simply in-game abilities so long as they aren't OP? If a Ninja wants to ninpo a fireball and it ends up not being in game, I don't care. The tools are all pretty much there in the world, and the trailer already showed them at least /using/ ninpo (or a form of it). As for how that actually /works/? Keep it simple enough so that you can change what needs to be changed. 

Same goes for Blue Mage imo. If they want to use the sword/dance stuff, I don't see why they can't and then later find some form/art/whatever that allows them to use it more (or less) proficiently as deemed by whatever lore may or may not be inside the game at a future date.

Simply put I believe this is perfectly fine. A good RPer does not always dictate their RP by their class and will sometimes ignore their class entirely and RP their character how they would be RPed. Didn't I read that someone on a guide to RPing on these forums? 

Ahh yeah, RP handbook. A Heavy RPer might: choose to define their character purely through their story, perhaps even ignoring their in-game class all together. 

In this case we have a developed RPer who is using the story and attempting use of gray areas in the lore and strictly avoiding that that breaks it. So I see absolutely no reason as to why there would be a problem with it unless someone else wanted to dislike it simply because it is labeled blue mage. And had she not used the label blue mage and simply explained her logical thinking within the grey area of the lore I bet most people would not have a problem with it. Even now it seems that not that many people mind, I mean we have a pretty cool and accepting community.

Regarding the possibility of a blue mage appearing and making the lore difficult to use concerning usage of blue mage tactics. I believe that is a Possibility but even if it were done it could be worked around. In this case the girl has given up even being considered the class just to use a sword which shares some of the classes abilities and the classes abilities are possible to be replicated with enough lore know how and creativity. 

I already talked with her earlier about this but my suggestion for one way this could work is that because Crystals are so magically adept. In creating magical energy and storing it and expelling it into power if you have the right tools, then it is possible that her sword could have strong crystals on it that are enchanted to somehow better absorb the Aetherical abilities of what they come into contact with. You could connect the blade to the crystals and should they want to steal a spell they would just have to come into contact with it and use their own magic to harness the aether into one of the crystals. Then they can release the spell at any time they desire to. Officially allowing them to steal spells and reuse them in a logical manner. I do not even see how it could be considered all that overpowered. It would be more difficult to control then using magic by hand and she is limited only to what she steals from. The abilities would probably drain the crystals too and could only be used a limited number of times before that particular crystal would need recharging.

But it is a really cool concept and if that is what she wants to do it is possible and should be encouraged to do because it is how she wants to play her character and it makes her different. *GASP* But people can't be special and different. Well not everyone likes playing average joes, and those that do probably have different definitions for average joe than the next average joe which would classify them as different anyway. (Sorry not a big fan of people trying to be NORMAL. Normal is boring) Anywho, you all probably already know these things I am just trying to reassure the Author here. As I said you all are a accepting community. Anything that struggles lore wise we can help her fix and maybe one day we can enjoy RPing with this awesome character she creates out of it.

Simply put I believe this is perfectly fine. A good RPer does not always dictate their RP by their class and will sometimes ignore their class entirely and RP their character how they would be RPed. Didn't I read that someone on a guide to RPing on these forums? 

Ahh yeah, RP handbook. A Heavy RPer might: choose to define their character purely through their story, perhaps even ignoring their in-game class all together. 

In this case we have a developed RPer who is using the story and attempting use of gray areas in the lore and strictly avoiding that that breaks it. So I see absolutely no reason as to why there would be a problem with it unless someone else wanted to dislike it simply because it is labeled blue mage. And had she not used the label blue mage and simply explained her logical thinking within the grey area of the lore I bet most people would not have a problem with it. Even now it seems that not that many people mind, I mean we have a pretty cool and accepting community.

Regarding the possibility of a blue mage appearing and making the lore difficult to use concerning usage of blue mage tactics. I believe that is a Possibility but even if it were done it could be worked around. In this case the girl has given up even being considered the class just to use a sword which shares some of the classes abilities and the classes abilities are possible to be replicated with enough lore know how and creativity. 

I already talked with her earlier about this but my suggestion for one way this could work is that because Crystals are so magically adept. In creating magical energy and storing it and expelling it into power if you have the right tools, then it is possible that her sword could have strong crystals on it that are enchanted to somehow better absorb the Aetherical abilities of what they come into contact with. You could connect the blade to the crystals and should they want to steal a spell they would just have to come into contact with it and use their own magic to harness the aether into one of the crystals. Then they can release the spell at any time they desire to. Officially allowing them to steal spells and reuse them in a logical manner. I do not even see how it could be considered all that overpowered. It would be more difficult to control then using magic by hand and she is limited only to what she steals from. The abilities would probably drain the crystals too and could only be used a limited number of times before that particular crystal would need recharging.

But it is a really cool concept and if that is what she wants to do it is possible and should be encouraged to do because it is how she wants to play her character and it makes her different. *GASP* But people can't be special and different. Well not everyone likes playing average joes, and those that do probably have different definitions for average joe than the next average joe which would classify them as different anyway. (Sorry not a big fan of people trying to be NORMAL. Normal is boring) Anywho, you all probably already know these things I am just trying to reassure the Author here. As I said you all are a accepting community. Anything that struggles lore wise we can help her fix and maybe one day we can enjoy RPing with this awesome character she creates out of it.

This post 1000 percent. Every rper who plays a dragoon or white mage does this, just in reverse. And true also to not having to be an avarage joe. Just like real life, we are all special, some people have a sharp fear that be special will automatically make you their boss or something so they react out of fear.

Your character concept isn't necessarily how you play it day to day.  As someone else said, let story define the character.  In the FC I'm with, there are a lot of very interesting people who, in terms of mechanics, are Black Mages, Dragoons, etc, but they call themselves by other titles - witch/voidcaller, slayer, etc. 

The person who calls her character a witch/voidcaller uses the standard black magic spells, alchemy, and uses a beady eye minion as her pet, and I assume might use an ahriman mount though I haven't seen it, myself.  Technically, she's still a Black Mage, but for the sake of character background and development, she's done a fine job of rolling all these pieces into one nice, neat package who's fun to interact with.

On the other hand, Voidcallers are canon, you just don't typically see it outside of some of the enemies you fight, such as in AK.  Doesn't mean someone else wouldn't have access to it in some fashion.

In 1.0, Urianger summoned monster familiars (raptors, etc).  I believe he's more or less considered an Arcanist, but none of the current Arcanist abilities summon monsters.  My guess is they have plans for this somewhere down the road for a beastmaster-type class, which is why we don't see it now.  Still, it exists, and if someone could find a way to make it look good in RP, I'd welcome it.

So if anyone has ideas which play with lore or poke those gray areas, I say go for it, and I'd be glad to act as a sounding board to bounce those ideas off of.  If Blue Mage becomes an actual thing in later expansions, that just gives the player something to play with as far as ICly refining their skills.  Retcon only really happens if SE looks at it and goes "Nope, that can't happen."

Yikes! I'm very happy that everyone is so accepting if this idea!

I've thought about so little nuisances here an there for idea itself involving the sword... all secrets though!

I think I will go ahead with this idea and work into my character nicely... the draw of playing a class even remotely close to Blue Mage is too strong!!

I thank you all for the support...

With that said... Monster Skills! Thought?!

Obviously Cocoon, White Wind and Death Scissor are on my list as they're quite iconic. I'd like to find some balanced and FF14 related attacks that fit the profile.

With that said... Monster Skills! Thought?!

Bad breath??!?!? ;P Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I just wanted to say I like what how you're going about the whole Blue Mage thing mechanics wise. Normally I shudder at Red/Blue Mage threads because XIV lore has completely spit in the face of Red Mage ever being a thing and the Armoury System pretty much laughs at the XI incarnation of Blue Mage. Which is sad, because I enjoy those classes. I still bet we're going to see Blue Mage in XIV, I just don't think it'll be with a sword. Personally hoping for whip, like Quistis in VIII.

That aside, I like the whole crystals trapping monster aether and abilities and the like. Seems totally reasonable lore wise and it's not totally weird like a raptor breaths fire on you and suddenly you magically learn to do it right back. Speaking of abilities...

Breath attacks are pretty big in XIV and have always been a Blue Mage favorite of mine. Got a good variety to pick from: Paralyze Breath from Ziz, Fiery Breath from Raptors, Cursed Voice from Melusine.... (lol jk) Bad Breath from Morbols.

We don't really have crawlers in XIV yet, so I don't know what would do cocoon? We have crabs though so Metallic Body is an option.

I'm not sure what the healing spell the Wamouras use in Amdapor, but could call that White Wind? For some other classic abilities that XIV mobs use, there's Screwdriver, Self Destruct, Cursed Sphere, Goblin Rush, Jettatura, Body Slam, Leafstorm, and Mind Blast. (There's Final Sting but figured that'd be hard to RP. Death Scissors would be cool if you said it came from the giant crabs? Since we don't have scorpions in game yet.)

Hope this helps! ^^

I am slightly flying off on a tangent here, but it kind of sounds like you're focusing a little too much on the name of the class. A thief is someone who steals. There are/have been people roleplaying themselves as thieves; none of them are "SoL" now, any more than someone using the Gladiator class to portray a sword-wielding Templar from Ishgard. It's bizarre, in my opinion, to think that everyone who knows how to use a sword absolutely has to have been trained at the Ul'dahn Gladiator's Guild. So it is with Rogue: not every character in RP is going to have learned their cloak and dagger skills at the Lominsan Rogue's Guild.

As for Blue Mage, that's an iffy one. I'd say go for it, with the understanding that saying "this is Blue Magic; this is the only way it's done" and developing a very detailed history for its usage is probably not a very good idea for reasons already given. Historically, it has always has been heavily reliant on mechanics, and those tend to differ from game to game. As a classic FF job, there's every possibility that it'll be implemented at some point in ARR's lifetime. My advice is to leave yourself some breathing room for that possibility.

For example: perhaps your character found a vague reference of a High Allagan magus who styled himself a "Blue Mage" using spells learned from monsters. So your character set out to research how such a thing was possible, and found "a" method of doing so - not necessarily "the" method the Blue Mage of old used - and decided to style herself as such.

Edit: Appearance-wise, the only game in which Blue Mage had outright Arab-inspired garb has been FFXI. They don't really have a specific aesthetic. That being said, I see no reason why your specific character shouldn't.

Absolutely TheLastCandle.

The art she will use is by no means a true Blue Mage. It is an extremely watered down version of it much like White Mage and Conjurer... except the strength level gap between the two is MUCH larger.

I've made sure not to really fill in too many of the blanks in accordance to the lore itself. My character literally found this scimitar in a second / third hand weapons shop, buried at the bottom of a pile so to speak.

It had script engraved onto the flat of the blade which was in her native tongue of Akshar (Arabic / Hebrew) that to her knowledge is only spoken by her VERY secretive clan and is considered a dead language. There are a few people (One or two) that she's met that have knowledge of this language.

She bought it naturally because of the connection and it just so happens that this blade is special in regards to Blue-type magic... but by no means is it a true Blue Mage.

As for spells? I think Bad Breath is too strong of a skill to give to a watered down version of Blue Mage (Which i've called Warrior of the Blue Sand in her native tongue for story purposes). Perhaps a breath skill with much less potency would be better? Like a paralyze or poison... but not both! xD

I think Metalic body over Cocoon is a good idea also and I can't wait to learn Death Scissor from The Cancer crab FATE! That sounds like a blast!!

I am slightly flying off on a tangent here, but it kind of sounds like you're focusing a little too much on the name of the class. A thief is someone who steals. There are/have been people roleplaying themselves as thieves; none of them are "SoL" now, any more than someone using the Gladiator class to portray a sword-wielding Templar from Ishgard. It's bizarre, in my opinion, to think that everyone who knows how to use a sword absolutely has to have been trained at the Ul'dahn Gladiator's Guild. So it is with Rogue: not every character in RP is going to have learned their cloak and dagger skills at the Lominsan Rogue's Guild.

As for Blue Mage, that's an iffy one. I'd say go for it, with the understanding that saying "this is Blue Magic; this is the only way it's done" and developing a very detailed history for its usage is probably not a very good idea for reasons already given. Historically, it has always has been heavily reliant on mechanics, and those tend to differ from game to game. As a classic FF job, there's every possibility that it'll be implemented at some point in ARR's lifetime. My advice is to leave yourself some breathing room for that possibility.

For example: perhaps your character found a vague reference of a High Allagan magus who styled himself a "Blue Mage" using spells learned from monsters. So your character set out to research how such a thing was possible, and found "a" method of doing so - not necessarily "the" method the Blue Mage of old used - and decided to style herself as such.

Edit: Appearance-wise, the only game in which Blue Mage had outright Arab-inspired garb has been FFXI. They don't really have a specific aesthetic. That being said, I see no reason why your specific character shouldn't.

This is actually more in line with what I'm trying to convey.

Let's say, for arguments sake, SCH came out later than launch and a few people started RPing their version of SCH - which would most likely be the version from FFXI. If you played FFXI you know SCH from that game and SCH from this game are so different, it would be like you were playing a completely different class. No faeries (Easy enough retcon, no plenty of people who rp SCH without the faery), The ability to switch between White and Black magic (completely impossible for a SCH to do here, since they use Arcanist), both healers and damage dealers but not at the same time - having to switch to Light Arts or Dark Arts.

It's a completely different class then the one we got in FFXIV.

God, I'm actually trying to imagine what people would have said Summoner was if it hadn't been released and I'm pretty sure no one would have gotten that right. Just a bunch of rpers walking around with full sized Garuda's.

I'm not telling people not to do it, I just think it's risky. Tread carefully.

I understand that line of thinking which is exactly why the only common traits it has with FF11 itself is the weapon and the Blue Magic. Everything else draws from FF14's lore. Should Blue mage become released in the future? Then I can work towards becoming one ICly as she is NOT one at all.

She's simply a weakened and watered down derivative.

Let's say, for arguments sake, SCH came out later than launch and a few people started RPing their version of SCH - which would most likely be the version from FFXI. If you played FFXI you know SCH from that game and SCH from this game are so different, it would be like you were playing a completely different class. No faeries (Easy enough retcon, no plenty of people who rp SCH without the faery), The ability to switch between White and Black magic (completely impossible for a SCH to do here, since they use Arcanist), both healers and damage dealers but not at the same time - having to switch to Light Arts or Dark Arts.

It's a completely different class then the one we got in FFXIV.

God, I'm actually trying to imagine what  people would have said Summoner was if it hadn't been released and I'm pretty sure no one would have gotten that right. Just a bunch of rpers walking around with full sized Garuda's.

I'm not telling people not to do it, I just think it's risky. Tread carefully.

But you're still letting the game and its mechanics dictate what you can and can't do, if I'm reading correctly. Why can't a "scholar" use white and black magic? Just because the class itself in the game is unable to do so doesn't mean that they can't. One could argue that some scholar spells are even black magic oriented, such as their drain ability and a couple of others.