Non-Adventurers and the Quicksand

If we're talking IC-wise, it seems that anyone who goes out into the wilds in search of fortune can plausibly call themselves an adventurer. We can joke about the "adventurers' license" one receives from signing on with the Guild, but realistically, if your character calls him or herself an adventurer, then they are one. Whether people accept that or not IC depends on the tales you tell, abilities you exhibit, and such.

The "license" has more to do with the authorities likely wanting to know who in the hell is passing through their town and what exactly they're capable of (so they can contract them or watch them or etc.)

I have a hard time not RPing the adventurer aspects. Although I guess if I actually levelled my Lala so it can say BRD I could start having him move from town to town and tell stories.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And now I know who the OP was talking about. Enjoying a lovely rant of his as I type this. Sigh.

Tell him his mother is a hamster and his father smells of elderberries. That should sort him!

Or that lore farts in his general direction.

My general view was that the Adventurer's Guilds are for adventurers, but anyone could make use of the tavern. (Seriously, what tavern would turn away business for such a derp reason? How do you even know someone is an adventurer? Do you get your certified adventuring license renewed each year after you pass your adventuring test?) There's nothing in the quest lines about the AG's being strictly for adventurers, and quite to the contrary you see non-adventurers there on several occasions. 

I don't think these people were trolling, just assholes--I think they're lore-nazis who try to push their interpretation of it onto other role-players while, ironically, being completely wrong and off base. It's a sad day when lore-nazis aren't even close to correct about the lore. You could call it a "misunderstanding," I suppose, but that seems to paint them in a more innocent light when in reality their OOC behavior is inexcusable. If you believe something another person does breaks the lore (which in this case, it doesn't) and that upsets you, you don't make jabs at them OOC. You don't tell them they're role-playing "wrong" and they need to role-play "right." You walk away and find someone with more similar ideas to role-play with.

I think it's sorta sad... but apparently he's been getting more exposure with people in Ul'dah / Quicksand.

I'm highly suspicious of the fact that he's the one who had trolled several Wikis and has a very strict rigid view of the AG and the Sultansworn. 

It's so sad how... stilted the views this person has on lore is.

I know exactly who this person is. By far the most argumentative, belligerent, and hard-headed "roleplayer" on the server. Not naming any names, of course, but my advice is to blacklist, without looking back, if you come across not just him but anyone who thinks it's okay to try to shame, belittle, or otherwise act as he does. You won't be missing out on anything of value. Trust me.

How do you even know someone is an adventurer? Do you get your certified adventuring license renewed each year after you pass your adventuring test?)

Momodi knows because she casts a special spell that changes her eyesight; every time she looks at a person, their name and adventuring status is floating above their heads.

Anyways, I again point out the following dialogue, from an NPC in the Quicksand that is blatantly an employee OF the Quickand:

Papasu: Hello there, traveler. Have you tried any dishes at the Quicksand yet? Nothing prepares you for a day of adventuring like a hearty meal, you know!

>What would you like to know?

>Option: Why is it called "The Quicksand"?

Papasu: Have a look around you─all manner of folk get caught in the lure of the Quicksand! They gather here to meet and mingle with one another.

Papasu: 'Course, you adventurers are less like to linger long. Aye, your kind is not unlike sand itself─the more tightly we try to hold on to you, the easier it is for you to slip through our fingers...

Papasu: Oh, I know all about your type. My husband used to be an adventurer, you know. Oh, he was quite a gallant hero way back when. But his days of derring-do are but a distant memory now─aye, and his strapping physique as well.

As far as I'm concerned, there's lore verification RIGHT THERE in the Quicksand that is accessible at any time and by anyone that says everyone's welcome there (and if you wanna be strict... lore that says adventurers shouldn't be hanging around much). So, yeah, this guy gives anyone a hard time, fire the blacklist cannon.

I know exactly who this person is. By far the most argumentative, belligerent, and hard-headed "roleplayer" on the server. Not naming any names, of course, but my advice is to blacklist, without looking back, if you come across not just him but anyone who thinks it's okay to try to shame, belittle, or otherwise act as he does. You won't be missing out on anything of value. Trust me.

I don't know anything about the person in question, but I'm starting to get the impression that there are just a lot of bad apples around the Quicksand in general... A random person in that area tonight just completely spoiled my mood with his rude and belligerent attitude, especially since he was accusing me of being the one who was rude.

Does anyone else consider a random poke a sure sign or indicator that someone is "waiting"/wanting to talk to you? I failed to notice it immediately since I was working on my wiki profile at the time (not to mention the person in question wasn't anywhere in the area when I looked around/hadn't said a single word in say/tell to me), and later got into some IC convos outside of the Quicksand. Lo and behold, I get a tell from Mr random poker calling me rude since he was waiting to talk to me from the start, who then proceeds to guilt trip me for not noticing him and talking to others instead. The other details of that circumstance is likely more befitting the Romance thread down below but... Why does anyone consider behavior like that okay?

That would mean a lot of people can't go RP in what is an RP hotspot in Ul'dah.

But in the first few moments of being around you see in the Quicksand itself a loan shark getting ready to take out a guy with his lackeys and I'm pretty sure they aren't part of the Adventurer's Guild.

Reminds me sort of, of when someone kept sending me tells while I was afk/busy (and -after- already explaining that I can't respond...) saying no less than 2 times, "Oh don't mind me. No worries. I'm just RPing by myself cause I don't have anyone to RP with!" 

It was about 4 times. When I returned, I told him I found his tells really passive aggressive and I felt like he was trying to guilt trip me by saying he was offended when I said it was passive aggressive. Then he proceeded to keep trying to get me into his FAMILY-FRIENDLY NO ERP CAPS FOR EMPHASIS BY ME linkshell. Even when I explained I was full.

My outlook on wanting to be friendly with the player turned mighty fast within the day.

Reminds me sort of, of when someone kept sending me tells while I was afk/busy (and -after- already explaining that I can't respond...) saying no less than 2 times, "Oh don't mind me. No worries. I'm just RPing by myself cause I don't have anyone to RP with!" 

It was about 4 times. When I returned, I told him I found his tells really passive aggressive and I felt like he was trying to guilt trip me by saying he was offended when I said it was passive aggressive. Then he proceeded to keep trying to get me into his FAMILY-FRIENDLY NO ERP CAPS FOR EMPHASIS BY ME linkshell. Even when I explained I was full.

My outlook on wanting to be friendly with the player turned mighty fast within the day.

I've heard about said linkshell. Shaming people, homophobia, and sexual repression seem to be family-friendly.

I've heard about said linkshell. Shaming people, homophobia, and sexual repression seem to be family-friendly.

I'm... ever so glad I feel like I definitely dodged a bullet now. I've had no idea what has gone on with this because when I experienced that it was months ago when I first started and the linkshell was just being made. The soured experience made me... well, not care when the person said he was quitting the forums.

Pretty happy now if that's what's going on cause I'm not at all ok with those "family-friendly" values.

I'm... ever so glad I feel like I definitely dodged a bullet now. I've had no idea what has gone on with this because when I experienced that it was months ago when I first started and the linkshell was just being made. The soured experience made me... well, not care when the person said he was quitting the forums.

Pretty happy now if that's what's going on cause I'm not at all ok with those "family-friendly" values.

I think I know which one you're talking about, too... I liked their old recruitment /shout and /yell message which stated that they were the only non-ERP RPLS on the whole server >_>

The player was utterly convinced that every other RP LS or FC were interested or focused on ERP. And that everyone was trolling him and stalking him, including ERP things.

I'd honestly thought the guy had quit FFXIV and RPing until I saw his character walking around Ul'dah this last month. /shrug

Some. People. ><

After playing numerous MMO's over the years I've found that in many cases the people that are very vocal in their dislike of ERP are often those caught indulging in it. I've discovered that FFXIV is no different in that regard.

Though in all fairness role-play communities are also guilty of being too tolerant of ERP to the point where questionable stuff can pop up frequently as a topic of conversation despite individuals expressing politely that they'd rather discuss something other than how often someone's Miqo'te happens to get laid in Costa Del Sol.

Just playing through a new character, viewing the story line. Kind of noticed that even the Inn doesn't sound -exclusive- to adventurers, it just sounds like it benefits them more than other people. After coming back from my story quest, and there is no spoilers in this. 

"Baderon: Now, it sounds to me like ye've done everythin' ol' Staelwyrn asked o' ye an' more─justifyin' me generous finder's fee in the process. Much obliged, lass!

Baderon: As fer a reward...well, she's a lonely lady, this Drownin' Wench o' mine. 'Ow'd ye fancy keepin' 'er company fer a spell...with free room an' board?"

I know you can interpret that how you wish, but just by that wording it sounds to me as if you pay for rooms, but you help that dude out, you got a free room. He doesn't, at any point, flat out say that You get an Adventurer exclusive room for helping! Just, we can spare a room for you anytime for free. He even references his overall tavern without bringing up the fact it has services for Adventurers only.

Compare the Inn use with the leve use. This he does clearly mention the Adventurer Guild.

Baderon: Not that ye'll 'ave much time fer lyin' around, what with all the leves ye'll be doin'. Oh, didn't I mention? I'm puttin' yer name down fer leves.

Baderon: Our guild draws all manner o' clients, offerin' all manner of odd jobs. 'Onestly, ye'd be amazed 'ow much folk'll pay to avoid doin' an honest day's labor.

I'm kinda glad I designed Kellach to look the way he does.

It weeds out those people right away.

I kinda laugh at the ERPquisition that happens in MMOs. On one hand it's kind of understandable that people do not want to get subjected or enrolled into plots that heavily feature it. However, to go to that extent is outright ludicrous.

Plus, if there wasn't ERP, we couldn't have ERP blowups/mistells.

Wah! This guy!!! :x

He got all pissed because I was playing a non-adventurer too. Least I think it was this guy. L-name and got pissy about my poor little guy not being an adventurer. >.> If he hadn't gotten his panties in a twist he would've figured there was a -reason- the person I was rping wasn't an adventurer.

Tbh it really bummed me out and I was in a gross mood all day. >.<