Character personas you wished you dabbled more in!

Most of us have played more then one character archetype. The playboy, the innocent one, the pirate...Dozens and dozens and dozens of loose types and subtypes to pick to help shape and delve further into a character persona. Eventually people tend to find a persona that they find easiest or most fun to play and that tends to be who they stick with. Sometimes not even a persona, just a common trait.

Though while we have our favorite, there's always those that we still like but don't play or play enough of! If you have one, what's yours?

Personally I enjoy playing a variety of female character types, though most of the times my main tends to have one maternal trait or another. Weakness for children, an endearing way of speaking, etc.

Though the one character persona/type that I've wanted to delve into more is of the more sadistic, devious variety. Not a criminal so much as someone who acts on impulse and primal instinct and sensibilities.

I have a really hard time playing anyone evil. I have made docile and violent characters, but they all seem to remain in that realm of "chaotic good."

I always have to have a passionate reasoning for my characters actions, and like to play peculiar and brash characters, but I never seem to be able to make them too incredibly selfish or apathetic in that sense. Evil types seem fun, but it feels like a difficult mindset for me to get in.

Devilish, deviant, evil types are what I enjoy playing, but only once was I able to pull it off. I love that look of other players in the room, becoming friends with your character, somehow managing to be the most charismatic creature ever, only to end up being the villain they were fighting the whole time! I've never been able to recreate that.

I've had a lot of fun playing antagonistic characters that are abrasive, aggressive, and downright cruel. Downside to this character type being that I have to be particularly careful not to cause any OOC bleed from their in-game behavior.

I am not always successful.

While I certainly would want to run that type of character as an alt, I'm a big fan of open world RP. And in order to prevent potential OOC issues I typically prefer those types to be played among people that know the score ahead of time. That limitation tends to see them drop out of my rotation faster in favor of folks that can stroll up to you in a bar and strike up a conversation.

Devilish, deviant, evil types are what I enjoy playing, but only once was I able to pull it off. I love that look of other players in the room, becoming friends with your character, somehow managing to be the most charismatic creature ever, only to end up being the villain they were fighting the whole time! I've never been able to recreate that.

This, so much this. In over 15 years of roleplaying, only twice was I able to pull it off and ever since its been something I've been wanting to do again. Issue is, so many righteous characters will border meta to stop you its very hard to pull off. With the right people though, its in my opinion the most rewarding character to play ever.

I have a very haughty, arrogant character that is actually very caring just arrogant. He is hard to play in the FF setting.

As for bleed or whatever, I really do not care there because if someone is unable to distinguish a character from reality that is a whole other issue in itself that is not my problem if they experience that or not :/

This does not mean that I do not care for my fellow RPers (I do, and befriend a lot of them), but I am probably not going to change my character if they are unable to distinguish rping from reality. They can choose not to RP with me if they so wish, I am fine with that.

But right now I do not play that character. I had him pre-FF and have a hard time getting him to work in FF. Titor is a lawful good/kind character so I do not have that problem much with him anyway.

Straight up evil characters. I always struggle with those. I've only ever pulled it off in one pen and paper campaign. I'm attempting to make a more morally black character now and we'll see how that goes.

I also wish I could play a bubbly socialite like... Ah, Aya. Can't do those either.

I'd also like to play a female character that I can really get behind. Again I've only ever played one that I ever really liked and enjoyed... and she was my evil character. x.x My most beloved chars always end up being the male ones.

I've had a lot of fun playing antagonistic characters that are abrasive, aggressive, and downright cruel. Downside to this character type being that I have to be particularly careful not to cause any OOC bleed from their in-game behavior.

I am not always successful.

While I certainly would want to run that type of character as an alt, I'm a big fan of open world RP. And in order to prevent potential OOC issues I typically prefer those types to be played among people that know the score ahead of time. That limitation tends to see them drop out of my rotation faster in favor of folks that can stroll up to you in a bar and strike up a conversation.

That's pretty much why I don't play darker characters. I always worry about the OOC bleed since I sometimes have gotten snarky comments from people OOC when my character does something as simple as tell them to 'go away'.

I tend to fall into scholarly sorts - bookworms, quiet observers, sometimes with pretty ambiguous morality.

I'd like to play a more gregarious sort of character, one who's comfortable in a crowd or at least, more comfortable in the midst of a room full of people.

Well, frankly, I should RP more often at all! But, okay. I do like quiet characters that are cute on a surface level but turn out to be vicious and mean when you get to know them. That sort of contrast, the subversion of other people's expections... It's a lot of fun. T'rahnu, however, is pretty much the opposite of this, and I'm not engaged enough to work up the motivation to work on an alt, so this remains a nice thing to think about.

I've always enjoyed role-playing anti-heroes and villains, though they're often difficult to pull off simply because the 'good guys' expect to win at every turn and generally are only interested in either killing off the character or redeeming them somehow. It's also difficult to portray a manipulative and cunning character when many role-players end up having their character conveniently always be one step ahead to foil their foe's plans.

You can get around that by planning stuff out extensively but I prefer to just jump in and role-play rather than spoil everything in advance. A character's sudden betrayal lacks the same impact if you see it coming.

I would looovvee to play a haughty snobby aristocrat type so is shallow and devoid of much depth but she's funny and snarky and thinks she has it all figured out but is actually completely clueless as to how the real world works (Think Cher from Clueless)

I think the archetype is funny as hell, but it just wouldn't work in an RP setting because no one would LIKE HER. They wouldn't be forced to interact with her and I would be alone most of the time

Ugh. As if.

Back when I had an Italian RP LS, I was having a lot of fun RPing the pragmatic, sophisticated professor. I like using big words for saying even the simplest things and cause many awkward moments with those who do not understand me.

Unfortunately, as I switched to an English community, I had to come to terms with my inferior knowledge of the English language compared to my mother language. I don't think my whole life will be ever enough to learn to speak English as sophisticatedly as I'm able with Italian. :frustrated:

I have found relief in RPing an averagely cultured Jerk with a Heart of Gold trope back in FFXI (my first English RP experience). Though completely different than my Italian role, it was very fun and is now my favorite stereotype.

I'm the type that likes to experiment, so in XIV I relegated JwaHoG to an alt so that I could test new stereotypes on my main characters. It's being interesting, but I'll admit that alt stays my favorite.

I cannot play a convincing female for my life.

I wish I got to play more jovial sorts. Eorzea's an oftentimes serious world, and my inhabitant reflects that.

I'm really horrible at RPing as a dude. Which is strange given my life situation.

I always seem to play these troubled individuals with so many burdens to carry, even from the outset. If I ever decide to play another character, he or she is going to be a happy-go-lucky very picture of innocence type of persona. Think the movies' portrayal of Peregrine Took from Lord of the Rings.

Even if, much like Pippin, they find themselves picking up burdens along the way, and becoming wiser for it, it'll still be a welcome change from the norm. My characters kill me sometimes...