clio's sketchbook

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

wow been awhile. *necros thread* xD

anywayyyy i've been working on some more stuff (slowly. so very slowly .__. ) but i got the sig erik wanted finished so ima post the bigger version here! because details are important and hard to see when you have to shrink down stuff for sigs and i put work into the shading! D<

....excuse my ramblings....running on bout three hours sleep today. i get weird when that happens. >.>;;;

fwwwh_zpswvnkabl1.png

soo been kickin round the idea and thought i'd ask cause 3am is a great time to ask questions.

i used to do orders on another site but quit because it burnt me out but i've debated on taking them up again on a slower rate. as above; i can do chibi, waist/knee/full body. tbh i hate headshots so i don't generally offer them and i really would rather do full color than sketch/straight lines or flat colors. (doesn't exactly look finished to me on flat colors >.>) i've done background stuff but a good recent example i have is still a wip so i'm not posting it yet. :T

anyway now that i've over complicated the simple question:

show of hands; if i opened maybe two art slots or so would anyone be interested in buying and are there any other artists that could give me a ballpark gil price suggestion? :T

I'm a sucker for gil-for-art, so I'm interested too. Prices... I don't know. What are you comfortable taking from people?

okay so that's twooooo peoplleeeeeee

honestly? i put a lot of time/effort into this so i'm okay with taking "higher" payments if people are willing. there was another site i did commissions on and actually had to quit because the amount of effort vs how much people were paying made it feel like it wasn't worth it for me in the long run if that makes any sense. (i was trying to be cheaper to give more people options which of course snowballed into me having like 6 orders at once of complicated stuff for dirt cheap >n< )

right, i'm not looking for a crazy amount but i'm worried about undercharging like i did the last time i tried taking orders. i've been poking around the other threads as well trying to see what the "normal" rate is for something around this level too.

You could do something like 50k-100k gil an hour of work or so? Find a balance that you like, that'd make it feel "worth" it for the effort.

right, i'm not looking for a crazy amount but i'm worried about undercharging like i did the last time i tried taking orders. i've been poking around the other threads as well trying to see what the "normal" rate is for something around this level too.

You could do something like 50k-100k gil an hour of work or so? Find a balance that you like, that'd make it feel "worth" it for the effort.

....then it would go past 500k easily xD

I think setting a price is the most complicated thing to do, honestly it's what is the most painful for me whatever I'm offering. I'm sure it's the same for other artists.

It's hard to find a balance between what people would accept and how many time you need for each artwork you're drawing as many people have a little idea of how many work it is.

I cannot really giving you another advice than : Look at the other threads and think of the time you need for what you're drawing. At worse, open like.. 3 slots with a price to judge if this worth the pain then adapt the prices accordingly once those commissions are done.

I think setting a price is the most complicated thing to do, honestly it's what is the most painful for me whatever I'm offering. I'm sure it's the same for other artists.

It's hard to find a balance between what people would accept and how many time you need for each artwork you're drawing as many people have a little idea of how many work it is.

I cannot really giving you another advice than : Look at the other threads and think of the time you need for what you're drawing. At worse, open like.. 3 slots with a price to judge if this worth the pain then adapt the prices accordingly once those commissions are done.

exactly, that's my issue i don't want to list what would be considered "overcharging" but i don't want to list it at a price that feels i'm giving them away.

i'm gonna do a little more poking around and then possibly convert this thread into a shop thread a little later in the week. if i have to adjust prices after the first couple; people will hopefully be patient with me. :3

Your style is so cute Clio, I think you should do commissions.  Just accept one at a time and do it at your own pace! ^^

If you take payment when you're done, you really don't have to worry about owing anything to anyone either!

aw for reals?>//u//< i've been kicking the idea around honestly but as you mentioned; payment is the sticking point.

i could do that, but there's always the off chance i do the art and not get payment after .---. i had that happened on the other site i used to do art on (back when i first started using my tablet) and i watermark my stuff when it's done/before i get paid...but i'd like to hope that if i were to do the work first; no one would back out of payment like that. :T then again; if i take payment first; i can always just give the gil back in the off chance i can't finish it for whatever reason.

Yeah, if you're concerned about someone taking the art and running, ask for the money first. Or, if you're not comfortable with the idea of having the money before having a product to give in return, you could always go for a half-and-half deal. Half at the start, along with what the commission is to be of... and then get the other half at the end once they're satisfied with the results.

So, even in the case of someone (read: a jerk) taking the art and running, you still got at least half the money for it. Not quite as good as all the money, but it's a decent alternative.