4 Star Crafting: The road through hell.

I... get the odd feeling that once I start leveling my crafting classes, I'm just gonna stop at 50. :blush:

You can repair level 50 gear when reaching the appropriate craft to 40. Crafting's a nightmare in this game, just go for repairs.

Not having all 50s on my main will most likely bug the heck out of me if I don't do it, though. Plus side, I plan to get most of the levels just doing Ixali dailies. It's how I got my ALC on him as high as it is (40-something), and I can get gil and oak-knots or whatever out of 'em, too.

I've heard nothing but horror stories about the star-levels, though, and as such I feel pretty good about not pushing that particular envelope any.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I read about how horrible four-star was and how ultimately useless it is compared to the Item Level Cliff of Yoshi's Continued Madness, I halted all crafting.

...which is a real shame, because the actual gameplay of gathering and crafting was the most fun I had in an MMO.

Another black mark for me on this title, it seems. :c

I'm actually seeing a lot of people reaping the reward of going for it -- because it's not really just about ilvl and PvE -- housing opens a HUGE door for making a metric bangton of gil from people, making it more than worth it if you're dedicated.

Crafting is an endgame all by itself and I really like the concept -- but I don't have the time to invest in it as much as I'd like. It's fun helping friends get theirs up and then reaping the rewards in turn though!

I have a friend who just does the main story as it updates, and then nothing but crafting and gathering. He's so rich now I just...I don't know. He has a blast doing it too. Hngghn.

I do appreciate the crafted gear having certain perks you don't see normally. The i90 gear was just reskins of the low-level dungeon sets but you could dye them, and the i110 crafted gear is not only unique looking, but the metal armors are vintage FFXI gear (that wasn't easy to obtain, either!). I'm okay with fundamentally-useless gear that looks neat, I just wish the cost-to-obtain wasn't so astronomically high due to the restricted access.

For those who are just leveling crafters to 50, look into leveling all crafts to 15~ and then using them to try and craft the HQ grand company turnins. It's super casual way to get there that isn't just like... GSM crafting those raw stones into stuff lol.

Also the same with the gathering turnins. I've leveled miner from lvl 10 to 43 using turnins. Fishing from 2-37 same thing. Maybe a couple months for it's a super casual way to do it.

HQ the orange highlighted ones that you can for MOAR BONUS~

For those who are just leveling crafters to 50, look into leveling all crafts to 15~ and then using them to try and craft the HQ grand company turnins. It's super casual way to get there that isn't just like... GSM crafting those raw stones into stuff lol.

That... might be a way for me to go as well.

When I started with the Free Trial - my goal was to get as many classes to 20 (the trial cap) as possible in the two week period. Crafting/Gathering classes were included, and with those I think I had all of those hit the mark save for the two smithing classes. And Fishing, for obvious reasons.

The biggest issue I have with end-game Xstar crafting is the big RNG factor to its entry.

RNG in the melds. OH GOD THE MELDS.

RNG in HQ. I can't guarantee HQ crafts on stuff using NQ mats. I need a few HQ mats for my spicy tomato relishes so I guarantee HQ. I haven't learned the best rotation to get it where I only have a few NQ. Damn you RNG.

Yeah, I still need to do some reading up on proper rotations and the cross-class skills to use for normal crafting. Doing the higher level Ixali dailies hammered in quite clearly that I had no idea what I was doing. :lol:

I got frustrated enough with the Ixali dailies that limited my CP. I can't imagine trying to fight the RNG for the star-crafting.

Yeah, I still need to do some reading up on proper rotations and the cross-class skills to use for normal crafting.

Same here, actually. I do well enough and was just sort of derping around not taking the whole thing terribly seriously. I got crafting done and enjoyed myself, but I suppose if I'm to be a crafter of worth then I had better step up my game/rotation.

HOW DO YOU 3STAR+ PEOPLE DO IT.

I'm trying to get my CUL Supra and right now I'm making ALL THE RELISH  so i can level GSM desynth. STUPID FIELDCRAFT III AND MASTERCRAFT DEMIMATERIA.

/cry

http://www.ffxivguild.com/ffxiv-end-game-crafting-rotations-master-star/

3stars are easy. No artisan gear (aside from the main hand) required if you melded right. ...with artisan clothes melded right, you can use AF and unmelding artisan OH with melded accessories/belt and easily hit 3star.

note: you cannot 100% macro these. You have to rely on getting a tricks of the trade stack.

If it makes you crafty people feel any better, a good chunk of the i110 crafted gear will probably sell extremely well for a long time not only because they're hella good looking and pretty, but they're legitimate BiS items when melded correctly. The new BRD chest piece is BIS and outranks both the new i130 chest pieces when HQ and melded properly. Which means I probably won't get my hands on it until like, late 2.5 lol

The 4-star market is built to last a long time. And all those new housing things make a good buck.

If it makes you crafty people feel any better, a good chunk of the i110 crafted gear will probably sell extremely well for a long time not only because they're hella good looking and pretty, but they're legitimate BiS items when melded correctly. The new BRD chest piece is BIS and outranks both the new i130 chest pieces when HQ and melded properly. Which means I probably won't get my hands on it until like, late 2.5 lol

The 4-star market is built to last a long time. And all those new housing things make a good buck.

We discussed this a bit yesterday but I've gotta knock you on it again. There's not a chance the i130 dreadwyrm body is outperformed by a crafted piece with 11 less dexterity and 11 less determination. The crafted body can be augmented with 36 more crit, which will not outperform 11 dexterity. That doesn't even mention the passive benefit of 10 vitality.

I don't want to derail a crafting thread into another conversation about how heavily stats are weighted, but it's misleading to tell people quint-melding i110 gear will outperform raid equipment.

Macroing takes the fun out of the craft, I think.

Say that when you're done crafting your 300th Spicy Tomato Relish without a macro. You'll want to shoot yourself.

There's a reason after awhile that I started to use a macro. Brain. mush.

They're both painful. So. Very. Painful. Watching material after material blow up.

I pretty much ground my crafting to a halt with the mastercrafts, Hiding everything behind a wall of Gil and RNG for melds is a sure fire way to get alot of people to flat out not even bother. Only reason I see to work on crafting classes any longer is to repair my own gear and outfit my lower lvl classes.

This is me.

For future reference, melding everything to max meld in belt/jewelry is not enough to push from 1-star to 2-star, COUNTING THE EHCATL SMITHING GLOVES.

So if anyone is wondering why the hell does nobody try their hand at crafting? 'cause they give up FAAAAAR before the Spicy Tomato Relish step.

I don't know what you mean by this, once full meld you shouldn't have any troubles with 2 stars (I was doing mines without melding, without i70 gloves or else).

I specified Jewelry/Belt, which are currently top-tier as opposed to i55s which get replaced with Artisan's. Figured I'd start with those melds.

Since you've barely any craftsmanship in the jewels/belt, you can't get to the required 347 for the 2-star main ingredient craft without food. I'm sure I wouldn't have any problems but I'd have to buy the Darksteel Ingots/Vanya Silk/etc. to complete the crafts themselves and, to borrow a phrase from PIE|Zeus, "I blow money like I'm Rick Ross" on materia.

Although on WVR I'm at 346, so once I meld ONE competence in there I'm gravy for that once.

I specified Jewelry/Belt, which are currently top-tier as opposed to i55s which get replaced with Artisan's. Figured I'd start with those melds.

Since you've barely any craftsmanship in the jewels/belt, you can't get to the required 347 for the 2-star main ingredient craft without food. I'm sure I wouldn't have any problems but I'd have to buy the Darksteel Ingots/Vanya Silk/etc. to complete the crafts themselves and, to borrow a phrase from PIE|Zeus, "I blow money like I'm Rick Ross" on materia.

Although on WVR I'm at 346, so once I meld ONE competence in there I'm gravy for that once.

That's exactly what I was saying : I had 0 item melded when I was doing 2 stars and had no problem to do them. I was using Rollanberry cakes from memory at this time. It tooks me long before being able to meld as I had no money at this time (Mastercraft didn't existed yet).

I encourage you to check your cross skills and - if you feel the need - to envisage taking reclaim ;) !

That's exactly what I was saying : I had 0 item melded when I was doing 2 stars and had no problem to do them. I was using Rollanberry cakes from memory at this time. It tooks me long before being able to meld as I had no money at this time (Mastercraft didn't existed yet).

I encourage you to check your cross skills and - if you feel the need - to envisage taking reclaim ;) !

I've everything at 50. All my rotations are on point. I've been HQing everything relatively easily so far.

Wait so you're saying the requirements are suggestions for the ingots/vanya?