Will RP shift to Ishgard?

Seriphyn

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could see it acting as an RP hub for people who roleplay Ishgardians that never leave Coerthas, which will be good on their part because they're currently stuck there until lore states otherwise. Will be a nice place for them to gather and RP since they can't leave.

As for it becoming the new Quicksand? It probably will during the honeymoon phase, where everything is so new and shiny. But I doubt it'll stick because, as people have said, it's probably going to be a high level zone.

Chances are Ishgard will become the new PVE hub before it becomes an RP hub.

I foresee specific plots -maybe- shifting to the new city.  Until trolling becomes unbearable.

On the other hand, Ul'dah and Revanant's Toll will probably empty out to allow greater RP presence.

Trolling isn't much of an issue in this game. It's easily silenced through the use of the ignore system and from what I've seen it's usually other role-players causing issues for their own brethren more than outsiders.

We're never going to see any fresh role-playing hubs crop up unless more role-players stop letting a few incidents of 'trolling' scare them off. We desperately need more role-players out in the game world to make it easier to actually kick off fresh plots and get involved with new people.

Chances are Ishgard will become the new PVE hub before it becomes an RP hub.

I foresee specific plots -maybe- shifting to the new city.  Until trolling becomes unbearable.

On the other hand, Ul'dah and Revanant's Toll will probably empty out to allow greater RP presence.

Trolling isn't much of an issue in this game. It's easily silenced through the use of the ignore system and from what I've seen it's usually other role-players causing issues for their own brethren more than outsiders.

We're never going to see any fresh role-playing hubs crop up unless more role-players stop letting a few incidents of 'trolling' scare them off. We desperately need more role-players out in the game world to make it easier to actually kick off fresh plots and get involved with new people.

This so much. If people give you trouble than remember this. We are RPers. We make up a huge majority of the server. They give you trouble, just come right back the next day with twice as many RPers to stick it to them. They cant push us around.

Chances are that after heavensward drops and summer starts up, lots of fresh RP will crop up then. Like last summer, I really hope this will be the case for this summer because there was alot of really exciting and fun RP during the summer.

iirc there were plans for mor dhona/ishgard housing areas though I cant find where I thought I read that, so I could have simply been hoping.

Yoshi-P said that due to the current unstable nature of the area's near the places (IE: Garleans and the Dragons) They said it would not make sense or be very safe at all for there to be player housing wards in those areas. He said near the end of 3.0 though, we can possibly look forward to an Ishgard wards for player and FC housing.

We are RPers. We make up a huge majority of the server.

No we don't. There are a lot of RPers on Balmung for sure, what with it being the primary and original server for RP, but we definitely don't make up the majority of the server. I've heard the ratio for Non-RPer to RPer on Gilgamesh is even greater.

iirc there were plans for mor dhona/ishgard housing areas though I cant find where I thought I read that, so I could have simply been hoping.

They stated if they added housing to Ishgard it wouldn't be until near the end of Heavensward, there has never been any official mention for housing in Mor Dhona, that has been entirely player speculation based on the growth of it and the chance of it becoming a citystate on its own.

We are RPers. We make up a huge majority of the server.

No we don't. There are a lot of RPers on Balmung for sure, what with it being the primary and original server for RP, but we definitely don't make up the majority of the server. I've heard the ratio for Non-RPer to RPer on Gilgamesh is even greater.

Yeah, even on official RP servers if you have an even split it's a miracle.

I think the important thing to keep in mind is that the RP that will shift to Ishgard will be the INTERESTED PARTIES. Which, to be honest, is the kind of RP I want shifted there, anyway. I know I'll be spending time up there quite frequently as my character is and always has been Ishgardian since launch day! Plus snow zones are best zones. Also dragon killing? BRING IT ON.

Anyway I can't wait for Ishgard RP to thrive. There's just metric tons of RP potential for almost all walks of life. It has a lot of lore just waiting to be delved into which I'm sure will spurn even more Ishgard-centric roleplayers and new characters. I'm looking forward to it so hard lol.

Anyway, see you all in Ishgard. :thumbsup:

I'm sure as hell trying to help cultivate an inclusive RP community to bring to Ishgard

The irony of this statement is that Ishgardians are anything but inclusive.

We seem to be doing okay with the Gridanians being traditionally xenophobic as well as the Ul'Dahn socio-economic good ol' boys club that likes to dump on Ala Mhigans and treat them little better than unwanted slaves.

At least Ishgard looks to be having a change of heart. I doubt you'll ever change the Ul'Dahns and Gridanians, though. :P

I'm sure as hell trying to help cultivate an inclusive RP community to bring to Ishgard

We seem to be doing okay with the Gridanians being traditionally xenophobic as well as the Ul'Dahn socio-economic good ol' boys club that likes to dump on Ala Mhigans and treat them little better than unwanted slaves.

At least Ishgard looks to be having a change of heart. I doubt you'll ever change the Ul'Dahns and Gridanians, though. :P

The xenophobic attitude the Gridanians are supposed to be known for is almost completely unapparent in the game outside of the Archer quests and the initial cutscene for those who started there. Most Gridanian NPCs are all too happy to talk and help out outsiders it seems, and there are even Ul'dah merchants there now. I think once they had to accept aid from Ul'dah to start reconstruction they lost their attitude towards outsiders for the most part.

As for Ul'dah, I actually expect a change in their socio-political climate soon with the way the storyline is going (I won't post spoilers), but even then Ul'dah only treats one group of people with any sort of disdain, that being refugees. Ishgard treats everyone not from Ishgard with disdain, and even goes as far as to call all outsiders and anyone who help them heretics in at least one case.

One thing you REALLY have to take into consideration is just because a few people in Ishgard like the Warrior of Light, does not mean they will suddenly become accepting of any random person who wants to come into their city. This is probably the most important fact to consider.

Ul'dah is the most welcoming to immigrants so long as you can earn your keep. Refugees are disliked because they are perceived as those who failed to work hard.

The fact the Flame General is Ala Mhigan (as well as the Grand Flame Marshal being Ishgardian), we have numerous Ala Mhigan/Highlander soldiers in from Sultansworn to Brass Blade, and that there are two Ala Mhigan/Highlanders on the Syndicate (incl. Flame General) suggests that everyone is welcome in Ul'dah presuming you can work hard.

Ishgard will probably become like Gridania where outsiders are disliked but nonetheless needed on a practical level.

The xenophobic attitude the Gridanians are supposed to be known for is almost completely unapparent in the game outside of the Archer quests and the initial cutscene for those who started there. Most Gridanian NPCs are all too happy to talk and help out outsiders it seems, and there are even Ul'dah merchants there now. I think once they had to accept aid from Ul'dah to start reconstruction they lost their attitude towards outsiders for the most part.

As for Ul'dah, I actually expect a change in their socio-political climate soon with the way the storyline is going (I won't post spoilers), but even then Ul'dah only treats one group of people with any sort of disdain, that being refugees. Ishgard treats everyone not from Ishgard with disdain, and even goes as far as to call all outsiders and anyone who help them heretics in at least one case.

One thing you REALLY have to take into consideration is just because a few people in Ishgard like the Warrior of Light, does not mean they will suddenly become accepting of any random person who wants to come into their city. This is probably the most important fact to consider.

I think that you're ignoring some very important factors here and basing an conclusion off of some salty gate guard NPC. We don't let the doorman tell us how the movie is inside; we go and see it for ourselves! Nor do we allow a single person to dictate to us the representative attitude and/or culture of an entire people.

Just because we as the de facto warrior of light do not experience the xenophobic contempt of the Gridanians does not in any way erase that part of their culture. Gridanians have routinely in the past been very unwelcoming and even booted out the aforementioned Ala Mhigan refugees. Their attitude has likely not changed one bit and I would go so far as to say that you, again as the de facto WoL do not experience that, but anyone and likely everyone would probably be met with suspicion if not passive-aggressive hostility. Much in the way that the Feudal Japanese might act towards a house guest that they didn't particularly like. Will you be polite to them? Yes because societal norms dictate that that is just how things are done. Will you talk mad crap about them after they leave? You betcha. I imagine that the Gridanians as described in lore and backed up by the screenshots in Ansemaru's Gridanian census are all about saving face and avoiding shame in public.

With respect to Ul'dah, I highly doubt anything will change there. The City of Sin which bases its culture almost entirely off of the concept of things being bought and sold (including people, though any would likely say that slavery is illegal but everyone knows that there are different kinds of 'slavery'), even their religion is based in it with the primary worship of Nald'Thal. Fun fact: When your culture shifts towards hyper-capitalism, it does so at the expense of widespread fundamental values. I.e. an Ul'dahn is unlikely to ever utter the phrase "Ask not what your country can do for you; but what you can do for your country". Rather it would be societally expected that your country pay you for any service rendered no matter how menial or patriotic. All things have a price in Ul'Dah. I'm sure there's even an NPC or two who will echo that but I can't be bothered to look it up right now. 

As far as the Ala Mhigans are concerned, the only way that their lot in life within Thanalan will improve is by conquering Ul'dah from within (unlikely) or by peacing out (more likely and practical assuming that they have the means to do so). Will Ul'Dah's chief money grubbers eventually be brought to task for their despicable behavior thus far? I hope so. But it won't change that the general opinion of Ul'Dah with respect to the Ala Mhigan refugees is one of base contempt and near-disgust. The more things change; the more they will stay the same. 

In conclusion I will simply cite that your own words back at you with respect to Ul'dah and Gridania:

"just because a few people in Ishgard like the Warrior of Light, does not mean they will suddenly become accepting of any random person who wants to come into their city."

Replace Ishgard with Ul'dah/Gridania and suddenly the view is expounded in all directions. A few words of wisdom with regards to Theocratic nations and societies. These people don't fear strangers or even outsiders all that much. Sociologically what they fear is outsiders judging them for their beliefs or attempting to change said beliefs. They fear, if fear can be used as the appropriate term, having to fight for their own beliefs. There's obviously a great deal of contempt for those that do not believe in a similar fashion, which in the case of Ishgard is the following of Halone's Enchiridion and the worship of the Fury herself a the patron deity of the entire nation. Will they respect the belief in the other 11 gods? I'm sure they will but they will likely not think better of you for it. This is both a source of national pride and international exclusion. In the case of Ishgard's Holy See, not only a powerful theological and military force on its own without the support of the four great houses, you see an odd middle-ground between theocracy and ecclesiocracy. Regardless, you will find that in societies like that of Ishgard, it is not the outsider that they will 'fear', rather what the outsiders represent. This is usually dispelled by a good old-fashioned rubbing of elbows. And, you know, having a thousand year-old enemy constantly threatening to burn your nation to the ground and being in dire need of help doesn't hurt that much, either.

Apologies, I didn't intend for a small reply to turn into a full on lectured beat-down D=

edit: tried to edit for brevity but the spoiler tags hate me so whatever. =X

Ul'dah is the most welcoming to immigrants so long as you can earn your keep.

Unless you're like the guy in the Ul'dah MSQ, and you try to earn a little too much keep for your own good. Then you get squashed by whatever Syndicate member feels most offended by the fact that you wanna be rich too.

Ul'dah is the most welcoming to immigrants so long as you can earn your keep.

Unless you're like the guy in the Ul'dah MSQ, and you try to earn a little too much keep for your own good. Then you get squashed by whatever Syndicate member feels most offended by the fact that you wanna be rich too.

Ul'dah MSQ? You mean the guy that got stomped right in front of Momodi for not paying back his debts to a loanshark? :o *Has made too many new characters in the past*